Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2014, 18:12   #3451
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Also check if the AC drain pipe is chocked and letting water seeping in below dashboard (passenger side).

Cheers!

Vinu
Hi
Thanks a lot for your response.
The leakage was from the roof which I got subsequently repaired.
So now my question is whether service can solve the problem.
Also please reply regarding brakes.
Once again thanks a lot
Regards
Old 26th October 2014, 19:01   #3452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Also please reply regarding brakes.
Yes, brakes can be serviced at FNG/M. But till date I don't have any experience with FNG for my Beat. But if there is a part replacement involved then anyway you need to visit A.S.S. But these A.S.S. guys charge a bomb for their labour.

By the way what is your ODO reading and when is your planned next Service?

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2014, 22:55   #3453
Senior - BHPian

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

I'm looking to replace my wifey's alto and was considering the beat. It's very sparingly driven and at the maximum it may end up doing about 500 kms a month for the next 2-3 years. Got an interesting offer on the beat base variant. The dealer is willing to give the base variant in white for about 4.45 lakhs OTR Bangalore with some freebies like power windows and central locking. That's nearly 50k down compared to the actual OTR of about 4.9L.
We took a test drive and the car seemed reasonably good and felt like an upgrade from the alto. My concern is the resale value and servicing. Somehow I have been noticing too many beats in the classifieds like carwale etc and depreciation seems quite high. Just wanted all your opinions on this point.

On the other hand, there seem to be really not many alternatives at this price point. The Eon feels cheap, the Celerio is expensive for what it offers. And others like the i10 are a tad higher on cost and I'm not sure about investing more than 4.5L since it's very sparingly used.
Old 27th October 2014, 01:16   #3454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody.
Need urgent guidance.
My son has complained that the car is smelling bad. It could be due the carpet which had become wet in the monsoon season.

It has been sometime now that I had brakes serviced. They are working alright but I would like to get it serviced as it is safer.
I had removed the entire internal carpet off the floor of the car.. For this, the seats had to be removed too. And the carpet should be cleaned with a spray extractor by a professional, or dry cleaned. And then refitted. In the meantime, check dripping water on passenger footwell while AC is on.

As for brakes, get the brake pads and shoes inspected at Auth. Ser. Center., and then check oil level. Bleed lines if professionals there suggest that.
Avoid getting done outside, unless its just a pad/shoe replacement, and the mechanic can source genuine parts.

Sam
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 01:28   #3455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I'm looking to replace my wifey's alto and was considering the beat. It's very sparingly driven and at the maximum it may end up doing about 500 kms a month for the next 2-3 years.
Well, one alternative is Datsun Go. Then you have Micra active. Then you have the all reliable Wagon R. Not too sure about the prices but they should be close your budget.
Beat in itself is a very good car. I have the diesel version Lt(O), great ride quality, beautiful dashboard, solid and premium feel, feels 1 full grade more premium compared to Wagon R, Micra, and the Datsun and even figo . The petrol one has the best refinement under this side of million rupee. It got the maximum power compared to the alternatives, though not a great top end. And best of all, it's a star car, you never know when it will change into an autobot. About the resale, I think you are being a little paranoid. I've seen people selling their diesel beat within a month because they didn't like the performance on the highway. And that's true. Depreciation will be more than Wagon R, at max you would get a difference of 20-30k. For the petrol, I think it's a great car for a lady, and non-enthusiasts.

For the resale value the Wagon R is the safest option.
Old 27th October 2014, 11:38   #3456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm looking to replace my wifey's alto and was considering the beat..........My concern is the resale value and servicing.
Options- All Base Variants:
- Chevy Spark - No Resale Value - Service:Approx 5k Per Year
- Chevy Beat - No Resale Value - Service:Approx 5-6k Per Year
- Hyundai Eon - - No Resale Value - Service:Approx 5k Per Year
- Alto 800 & K10 - Some Resale Value - Service:No Idea
- Wagon R - Good Resale Value - Service:Approx 3-4k Per Year
Old 27th October 2014, 20:02   #3457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Yes, brakes can be serviced at FNG/M. But till date I don't have any experience with FNG for my Beat. But if there is a part replacement involved then anyway you need to visit A.S.S. But these A.S.S. guys charge a bomb for their labour.

By the way what is your ODO reading and when is your planned next Service?

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
I had removed the entire internal carpet off the floor of the car.. For this, the seats had to be removed too. And the carpet should be cleaned with a spray extractor by a professional, or dry cleaned. And then refitted. In the meantime, check dripping water on passenger footwell while AC is on.

As for brakes, get the brake pads and shoes inspected at Auth. Ser. Center., and then check oil level. Bleed lines if professionals there suggest that.
Avoid getting done outside, unless its just a pad/shoe replacement, and the mechanic can source genuine parts.

Sam
Myavu/ Bhatia
Thanks a lot for your replies
AFAIK there is no parts replacement required as only 22000 kms on the ODO. Bought in 2010 May.
Last time when I got the car serviced (Jan 2014) Nikhil Auto charged me 10900. That included some AC work. I have asked more that 20 times for the bill to be explained and posted about it on their FB wall, but to no avail.
Posted about the charges on TBHP and everybody was surprised.
I have tentatively booked the service for 29/10. Incidentally I have seen Beats being serviced at nearby petrol pumps. Why not do it there? What happens to the ECM setting which is normally done at the time of service?
As far as the smelling is concerned I can get it rectified by professional detailers. Thread here on TBHP is pretty informative.
Once again thanks a lot for your help and would appreciate a post on my queries.
Regards
Old 11th November 2014, 13:54   #3458
BHPian

Just got a call from GM Motors Cochin, asking for a free replacement of fuel lines as per company’s urgent instructions for the early grabbers from the first lot which I guessed from their talk. Is there a safety recall happening in GM for the first batch? Previously there was some issue with the fuel pump now the first lot and that too after 4 years

Anybody got invitations from GM? The person I talked was not able to answer my queries but I will make a detailed enquiry with the service engineer while I drop in for the free replacement. Booked for 14th as there's some children's day celebrations going on, last time my kids had a nice time there. He also told me to replace it ASAP as its urgent follow up from the company.
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 14:10   #3459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Options- All Base Variants:
- Chevy Spark - No Resale Value - Service:Approx 5k Per Year
- Chevy Beat - No Resale Value - Service:Approx 5-6k Per Year
- Hyundai Eon - - No Resale Value - Service:Approx 5k Per Year
- Alto 800 & K10 - Some Resale Value - Service:No Idea
- Wagon R - Good Resale Value - Service:Approx 3-4k Per Year
No resale value? I don't understand. Even market flops that have been discontinued have some resale value. I think you mean to say 'lesser resale value than Maruti'.

Last edited by ani_meher : 11th November 2014 at 14:12.
Old 11th November 2014, 14:46   #3460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Just got a call from GM Motors Cochin, asking for a free replacement of fuel lines as per company’s urgent instructions for the early grabbers from the first lot which I guessed from their talk. Is there a safety recall happening in GM for the first batch? Previously there was some issue with the fuel pump now the first lot and that too after 4 years

Anybody got invitations from GM? The person I talked was not able to answer my queries but I will make a detailed enquiry with the service engineer while I drop in for the free replacement. Booked for 14th as there's some children's day celebrations going on, last time my kids had a nice time there. He also told me to replace it ASAP as its urgent follow up from the company.

Yes dear,

Recently I went to their service station to change the right ORVM, where. I was told that a bulletin has been passed to change these 2 cables(pipes).

I think its a good thing that chevy still cares for a 5 year old customer.
da.maulik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 18:42   #3461
BHPian

Quote:
The dealer is willing to give the base variant in white for about 4.45 lakhs OTR Bangalore with some freebies like power windows and central locking. That's nearly 50k down compared to the actual OTR of about 4.9L.
Hi, I too am considering the Beat for my wife. Would you mind sharing what was offered? Does the 50k include exchange bonus?
Old 12th November 2014, 08:48   #3462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
No resale value? I don't understand. Even market flops that have been discontinued have some resale value. I think you mean to say 'lesser resale value than Maruti'.
Apologies for creating confusion. Yes, what I meant was very less resale value. Comparision of resale value to a Maruti would be an insult to Maruti !!
But yes, Chevy products have overall very very less resale value.

For a new customer, when one can buy a brand new entry level variant of Celerio or Eon at almost the selling price of a 5 year old Beat, it is very obvious what one would prefer.
For an enthusiast preferences may vary and they may pick up a 5 year old Beat at some price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Just got a call from GM Motors Cochin, asking for a free replacement of fuel lines as per company’s urgent instructions for the early grabbers from the first lot which I guessed from their talk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by da.maulik View Post
Recently I went to their service station to change the right ORVM, where. I was told that a bulletin has been passed to change these 2 cables(pipes).
I think its a good thing that chevy still cares for a 5 year old customer
Whoa, that is interesting guys !!
Please inquire about the batch / lot for which they are recalling.
Mine is a March 2011 manufactured Beat. What are your dates ?
Old 12th November 2014, 12:08   #3463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Whoa, that is interesting guys !!
Please inquire about the batch / lot for which they are recalling.
Mine is a March 2011 manufactured Beat. What are your dates ?
My ride is from the first lot Jan 2010 model. Earlier fuel pump issue was popped up from post 2010 models I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da.maulik View Post
I think its a good thing that chevy still cares for a 5 year old customer.
Definitely its a good gesture from GM at customer service point, but actually its not the fact. Recently the government has taken some strict rules against the manufacturing defects and the penalty will be based on number of defective vehicle. Voluntary recalls will not attract the fine or penalty and I guess that's the main reason behind all the factory recalls. But my frustration was they took almost 5 years to find this component faulty which is not at all a good news to hear

Source: http://www.livemint.com/Home-Page/ZD...le-recall.html
Old 12th November 2014, 12:22   #3464
Senior - BHPian

Mine is April 2010 model (May 2010 registered). Yet to receive any call from Metro Chevrolet.

By the way my 9th service is approaching and scheduled it for next Saturday (15th). Let us see if they will pop-up with any kind of recall bulletin.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 12th November 2014, 12:34   #3465
BHPian

September 2010 model, checked with A.S.S. No recall against my VIN yet

Most Viewed