Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2015, 11:19   #3526
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Guys
All of a sudden the speedo needle in my Beat has stopped working. Is there any way I can make it work again at home ? Or should I go to local mechanic ? Going to chevy workshop will definitely rip me for such a small job.
Suggestions ?
Well, I don't think that is something you can fix at home. May be a simple job of replacing a wire, or may be something in the ECU. Am not sure how the digital display syncs with the wheel. Taking it to a local mechanic should be your first try, else A.S.S, where be prepared for a rip-off !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Guys in Bangalore: Any idea where I can get fabric seat covers for Beat at a reasonable price?
Get seat covers stitched at local seat cover workshops. Do not buy ready-made ones from online or car accessories shop.
I can recommend you a guy who did stitch the steering wheel and horn pad cover in my Beat. You can check with him for the prices of seat cover.

Check HERE.
Devraj's latest numbers are:
Mobile: +91-996-403-1960
Landline: +91-80-4149-5140

In other news, a few updates from end on my baby Beat.
(Click on the links to read)

Door Rusting issue stands resolved now.

45,000kms Service Report (The Green Bolt - Chevrolet Beat LT Petrol (2011) - Long Term Ownership Report)
Old 18th April 2015, 23:41   #3527
BHPian

Hi everybody. Need some guidance
My Beat(May 2010 done nearly 28000kms) is due for the 6 monthly service.
Last time when I had sent it the A.S.S they overcharged and nothing refunded.
So my same question, whether to send there to the friendly neighbourhood petrol bunk .
One more point. The change of coolant. The company recommendation is 3 years or 30000 kms whichever is earlier.
Any views on this subject? Can this be easily done at a petrol pump?
Thanks in advance for your guidance
Regards
Old 27th April 2015, 13:32   #3528
BHPian

Update:

1st week of April 2015: Got Fabric seat covers from JC road, along with LED parking light install before my trip to Goa for less than 3K Also got few knick Knacks done from Bay6

Last week of April 2015: Got K&N air filter installed from Bay6. Jeboy, along with his gang are an extremely knowledgeable and courteous bunch of people.
Oh, the engine sound has changed for the better now. They have also greased the brake callipers , so my car runs silent now.

Now the bad news: Got another dent beneath left door while searching for front speakers on first door. Have already talked to Trend guys. Will be giving the car for body work , hopefully by next weekend.

Pics are pending: I Know I know. Will be putting all at one go, when the body work is done.
Old 27th April 2015, 15:23   #3529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update:

1st week of April 2015: Got Fabric seat covers from JC road, along with LED parking light install before my trip to Goa for less than 3K Also got few knick Knacks done from Bay6

Last week of April 2015: Got K&N air filter installed from Bay6. Jeboy, along with his gang are an extremely knowledgeable and courteous bunch of people.
Oh, the engine sound has changed for the better now. They have also greased the brake callipers , so my car runs silent now.

Now the bad news: Got another dent beneath left door while searching for front speakers on first door. Have already talked to Trend guys. Will be giving the car for body work , hopefully by next weekend.

Pics are pending: I Know I know. Will be putting all at one go, when the body work is done.
NO ! We demand pictures now, of whatever updates you have done.
Please share the details of the job done till now - contacts, costs.
Old 29th April 2015, 15:18   #3530
BHPian

Hi,

For folks in Bangalore: did any of you get the extended warranty invite from Kropex. It seems to be a good deal. Your thoughts?

Quote:
Greetings from Kropex India.

We please immense pleasure to inform you that General Motors has come up with a very good policy of extended your chevy vehicles to yet another 2 year at reasonable prices.

It no doubt will give you a peace of mind.
Brochure attached
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-kropex.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Extended warranty Kropex brochure.pdf (49.1 KB, 381 views)
Old 2nd May 2015, 13:51   #3531
BHPian

Hi Guys,
My beat has been in the 6th year of running now.. I should have posted this long back but off late was very inactive in the forum.. Does anyone has come up with a problem in the beat gear knob chipping.. The plastic quality on the gear knob is too bad and unfortunately theres no replacement for the gear knob alone and only the whole unit need to be replaced which comes around 1400 rs which is not worth replacing.

The service guys said only 2 or 3 beats had this problem and this is due to the interiors being exposed to very high temperature which i think the justification is a non sense. Now i had kept a gear knob cover to cover the mess..

I had problem with the gear knob alone and the rest of the plastics inside the car looks Pristine.
Old 9th May 2015, 13:49   #3532

Does anybody have an accessories rate list 2014/2015 for Beat?
I want to buy the bumper guard and side door moldings something like this
http://www.tolexo.com/speedwav-car-b...LEMaAiiH8P8HAQ
Old 11th May 2015, 12:45   #3533
BHPian

Ok- so here we go.

1st week of April- A trip to goa was being planned and I was on the lookout for fabric seat covers. I literally went through almost all online stores but could not find anything worthwhile. There are a few costing about 1k , but I could not be sure whether they were for split seats at the rear or not. Gave it a miss. Visited J C road as the last resort- and lo and behold!! Managed to find a comfy fabric seat cover set (Elegance) for below 3k. Added LED parking lights too.

Had planned to install K&N and hence next destination: Bay6. K&N was not available readily, so gave an advance to Jeboy there and did som odd jobs(DRL wire was cut- got them working- boot release was not working- got that repaired.A strange kat-kat sound was coming from the front , which was identified to be coming from Brake calliper pins at front- promised to rectify them when K&N came in.

Sometime in the last week of April : Jeboy suddenly gives me a call telling K&N has arrived. Quickly rushed to Bay6 and got it installed- a direct fit . The brake callipers were also taken out and cleaned. A special silicon tape was put on top of each of the 4 calliper pins and they were then greased (sorry, no pics). The car runs super silent now.

About K&N - what should I say- the car is a waaaay lot better now. Acceleration and the way it sounds is just bliss !! It literally gives a rush of blood, as much as my last mileage figures(tankfull to tankfull) has gone low to 10.5 , but that was the enthusiastic me- putting my A pedal down at every chance possible. I could take bumpers at 2nd gear , which I was doing at 1st gear earlier(not those monstrous ones though- they still need 1st gear).

The last and final update My car had a lot of scars , notable amongst those were:
1. A dent at the back a year ago when a biker rammed into the backside at a red signal!!!
2. A recent acquisition: Just before going to Goa, I had decide to change my front speakers. I had gone to Reliance Autozone HSR , only to see their final packing going on. Had parked right nexxt to a telephone distribution box on my left. While taking out, I had forgotten that there was an enormous concrete slab jutting out. Result: My left running board got dented

Decided to give the car to Trend (Had done a recce of Kropex, but they gave a higher quote, and I would lose my no claim bonus). Now let the pictures do the talking.

I was so elated that I took delivery of the car, without noticing that the windscreen was "frosted" . Truly speaking , it was not a problem but during night, it was as if there was a dense fog. Reached Trend the next day- it was rectified quickly , along with a little cleaning of the interiors- no complaints
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-behind-before.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-behind-after.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-running-board-before.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-running-board-after.jpg  

Old 11th May 2015, 16:07   #3534
BHPian

Apologies for the back to back posts:
I still feel that my Beat gives pretty bad mileage figures. Without K&N , it used to give about 13-13.5 and now it gives even lower (around 10.5).
Wasn't it supposed to give better figures?
Also, the A/C performance has been unsatisfactory, and whenever it is turned on, it saps quite a lot of power from the engine. Although the A/C performance has improved after K&N (No idea why ) but I still feel it could be better.
Old 13th May 2015, 18:55   #3535
BHPian

Guys!! Can anyone respond to my above mentioned queries?
1. Mileage
2. A/C
3. I am not able to slot the car into reverse at one go every single time, there are "False" frequently when the car revolts and makes noises , but the car does not move.
Old 14th May 2015, 00:33   #3536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys!! Can anyone respond to my above mentioned queries?
1. Mileage
2. A/C
3. I am not able to slot the car into reverse at one go every single time, there are "False" frequently when the car revolts and makes noises , but the car does not move.
1. I upshift at 2.5k RPM. Without AC, I get around 15-16km/l. With AC, I get around 13-14km/l. You should escalate the low mileage of your car to A.S.S.
They would blame the K&N, but 10km/l is way too low. Even with K&N, you should atleast get 12-13km/l

2. Can't comment much on this, but you could clean the AC filter. It is behind the glove box and fairly easy to remove. It needs to be changed every 6 months, atleast in B'lore traffic conditions.

3. Assuming that you are pressing the clutch completely, it may be something to do with the clutch wire. A.S.S can diagnose better.
Old 15th May 2015, 13:12   #3537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
... in the 6th year ... the beat gear knob chipping...
I also had this issue last week. I had seen some cracks appearing in gear knob, but last week two chips came out. The explanation by your A.S.S. is ridiculous. Are we supposed to keep cars in AC environment ?? I am going to argue my case with my A.S.S., but since the car is out of warranty (4years completed), it will be difficult to bring them to task.

Quote:
... Beat gives pretty bad mileage... it gives even lower (around 10.5)...
Same here. I was getting good 12-13kmpl when I was in Chennai. Two months back I moved to Gurgaon, got car serviced at Bhanu Motors. Engine oil change, air filter cleaning were done along with other regular tasks. Since then I am getting 10kmpl (in traffic similar to Chennai). And based on the current trip meter and fuel level reading, its going to be less than 10kmpl. My friend is getting more than 12kmpl on his Second Gen Honda City, and we fill up at same fuel station.

Also, I am getting a strange 'tick-tick' (tik-tik) sound from dashboard area on right side of steering column. It is like hitting two bicycle wheel spokes with each other. It is random, not in sync with bumps etc.

A visit to the A.S.S. is already in plan for this sunday.
Old 15th May 2015, 13:47   #3538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Also, I am getting a strange 'tick-tick' (tik-tik) sound from dashboard area on right side of steering column. It is like hitting two bicycle wheel spokes with each other. It is random, not in sync with bumps etc.

A visit to the A.S.S. is already in plan for this sunday.
Please check if the sound vanishes when you press the brakes. I too had the same sound. It is actually from the front brake callipers. You have to put silicon tape and grease on the 4 front brake calliper pins.
adg_andy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 14:08   #3539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... the same sound. It is actually from the front brake callipers...
Will definitely give a try, however the locus of the sound appears to be within dashboard. Was that the case with your ride as well ?
Old 15th May 2015, 14:49   #3540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Will definitely give a try, however the locus of the sound appears to be within dashboard. Was that the case with your ride as well ?
yes, I thought that It was coming from dashboard, Rear view mirror, wiper and what not . It was finally diagnosed to be coming from calliper pins

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks