Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2016, 11:37   #3661
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
My Beat Petrol is 3.5 years old now. I have had a persistent problem of a drumming/rattling noise coming from underneath the car while going over uneven surfaces.
This could be the suspension bushes. Based on the age of the car it is quite likely that these have worn down or been compressed. Chevrolet service is quite inept, and it would probably be better for you to take the car to a trusted private garage with specific instructions to Only replace the suspension bushes with new ones.

In some cases these come as a kit with some suspension components, but the main thing is to replace and then re-torque to company specifications.

If the sound is indeed from the brake calipers, then these would need shims of some sort to fill in the blanks. I'm not entirely sure of a solution short of replacing them.

Quote:
I have also noticed that if I lug the car in a higher gear than its supposed to be in at a particular speed, there is excessive vibration! While pressing the brakes seem to eliminate the vibration/rattling!
Don't lug the engine.
Old 11th June 2016, 12:39   #3662
BHPian

Quote:
I have also noticed that if I lug the car in a higher gear than its supposed to be in at a particular speed, there is excessive vibration! While pressing the brakes seem to eliminate the vibration/rattling
Are you sure that pressing the brakes eliminates the vibration? Ideally when you are lugging the engine, say 30 kmph in 5th gear, pressing the brakes (without any change in accelerator input, gear, or slope of the road) should increase the vibrations as the speed drops and the ECU struggles to keep the engine running. Do the RPMs rise rapidly (without acc. input) when you brake?

I am not saying lugging the engine is a good thing, but if the vibrations are decreasing on pressing the brake pedal, there could be some problem which will hit you in one way or the other. Staying away from the problem is not a solution.
Old 11th June 2016, 13:58   #3663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
This could be the suspension bushes. Based on the age of the car it is quite likely that these have worn down or been compressed. Chevrolet service is quite inept, and it would probably be better for you to take the car to a trusted private garage with specific instructions to Only replace the suspension bushes with new ones.

In some cases these come as a kit with some suspension components, but the main thing is to replace and then re-torque to company specifications.

If the sound is indeed from the brake calipers, then these would need shims of some sort to fill in the blanks. I'm not entirely sure of a solution short of replacing them.

Don't lug the engine.
Thanks VeluM. Could you suggest a reliable mechanic in Bangalore who would be able to help? I really don't know anyone here. I stay in Whitefield.

It has been difficult to make the service guys understand the problem but they do have the patience to listen & try to sort the issue.

I don't lug the engine but it was just me trying to find out possible reasons that are causing the rattling.

On a separate note, I have always found the driveability in 3rd gear to be excellent on the Beat P. Can pull from 15 kph without any hint of vibration/judder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggrin View Post
Are you sure that pressing the brakes eliminates the vibration? Ideally when you are lugging the engine, say 30 kmph in 5th gear, pressing the brakes (without any change in accelerator input, gear, or slope of the road) should increase the vibrations as the speed drops and the ECU struggles to keep the engine running. Do the RPMs rise rapidly (without acc. input) when you brake?

I am not saying lugging the engine is a good thing, but if the vibrations are decreasing on pressing the brake pedal, there could be some problem which will hit you in one way or the other. Staying away from the problem is not a solution.
Biggrin, braking doesn't reduce the vibration when I'm lugging the engine. The behaviour in such a situation is on expected lines i.e. the usual vibration that occurs when at a higher gear than one should be at a low speed.

I haven't paid attention to the RPM needle while braking (& with no accelerator input). But I doubt the RPM would rise on braking. I'll check it out anyways.

The braking eliminates the rattling when, if say I'm travelling at 40kph in 3rd gear on a rough road then the rattling momentarily stops when the brake pedal is pressed.

All the parts so far have been replaced under standard warranty & I haven't paid a single penny out of my pocket. The car is also under extended-warranty for the 4th & 5th years.
Old 13th June 2016, 16:19   #3664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
My second fuel pump replacement was in April 2016, this time under extended warranty. But even with new pump, I am able to hear "whistle" when I start the car. I am following up with Chevrolet on this.
Recently I had to replace battery as it was causing strain on fuel pump. But still I can hear noise. I will keep you all posted on status of my new pump.

Thanks!
Hello,

I had escalated my case to Chevrolet. Chevrolet was prompt in response. They included senior customer relation manager from Platinum Chevrolet in loop. Dealership had their best technician to look into fuel pump issue. Unlike other person in dealership, he was quick to acknowledge that its a fuel pump issue. He communicated his findings to Chevrolet. Today they replaced my fuel pump again. This is my fourth fuel pump in four year of ownership & second change in last two months.
I had opted for extended warranty when fuel pump was replaced first time in regular warranty. Otherwise it would have been big pinch to my pocket.

I will keep close watch on fuel pump.
Old 13th June 2016, 20:10   #3665
Senior - BHPian

Red.Devil : Its definitely caliper pin noise which is common in Beats, confirmed by sound vanishing while braking. Although one of the caliper pins was replaced it might not be the right fix. They often grease and wrap the pins with teflon tape to reduce the vibrations. Get it done from an FNG. This isnt a long term fix and would last a few months or 2-3000kms. A more permanent fix would be to do what I have done and get the FNG to fabricate and fit oversized caliper pins from a turner. Got it done about 1.5years ago and its permanently solved the issue.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 09:51   #3666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Red.Devil : Its definitely caliper pin noise which is common in Beats, confirmed by sound vanishing while braking. Although one of the caliper pins was replaced it might not be the right fix. They often grease and wrap the pins with teflon tape to reduce the vibrations. Get it done from an FNG. This isnt a long term fix and would last a few months or 2-3000kms. A more permanent fix would be to do what I have done and get the FNG to fabricate and fit oversized caliper pins from a turner. Got it done about 1.5years ago and its permanently solved the issue.
Thanks Mortis. I'll have it greased again to see if it makes any difference & then probably check with a FNG. Also need to get the suspension bushes inspected once.

I'm planning to take my car to the service center this weekend anyway. My stock Exide Battery (44 Ah) died couple of days ago & I replaced it with an Amaron AAM-FL-545106036 (45 Ah) battery from BatteryBhai.

However, my speedometer & odometer seem to be completely non-responsive. Even the horn sounds a bit strained at times. Not sure what has gone wrong.
Old 16th June 2016, 20:05   #3667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Mortis. I'll have it greased again to see if it makes any difference & then probably check with a FNG. Also need to get the suspension bushes inspected once.

I'm planning to take my car to the service center this weekend anyway. My stock Exide Battery (44 Ah) died couple of days ago & I replaced it with an Amaron AAM-FL-545106036 (45 Ah) battery from BatteryBhai.

However, my speedometer & odometer seem to be completely non-responsive. Even the horn sounds a bit strained at times. Not sure what has gone wrong.
Just greasing wont help. The rattling occurs because of loose fit. For this issue they wrap the pins with Teflon tape to make a tight fit and then grease
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 09:42   #3668
BHPian

My car had to be towed away to the Kropex Workshop at Marathahalli last weekend, as it simply would not start (despite a new Amaron Battery)!

The Kropex Breakdown Service guys had visited earlier that morning but failed to jump start the car. They suspected something wrong with the alternator. I feared the worst & for a brief moment wondered whether Skids had finally let me down with a component failure!

However, as it turned out, some menacing rats had chewed through the wires of the alternator, odometer, speedometer, horn & some other sensors!!

This was duly rectified by the guys at Kropex. The caliper pins were also greased & now there is absolute pin drop silence in my car! Never knew that silence could be such beautiful music to the ears!! I will see how long the rattles stay away & if required will visit a FNG for plugging the loose fit with teflon tape.

The also provided a free set of wiper blades which was part of an ongoing Moonsoon Check Up Camp, without me inquiring about it.

This was my first experience with Kropex. Previously I have always had my car serviced at Trident Indiranagar. I have to say I'm very happy with how Kropex dealt with the issues.

As of now, the Beat still remains a well put together & reliable car for me!

Damages:
Breakdown Service Charge: Rs. 550/-
Towing Charge: Rs. 2000/-
Repair Charge: Rs. 1150/-

That Dreaded Sight!
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-towing.jpg
red.devil_19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 13:06   #3669
Senior - BHPian

I got my Chevy Beat serviced just a month ago. It was running exceptionally butter smooth till yesterday. All of sudden today morning after starting the car, engine check light failed to turn off as usual. I drove around a bit but car is running perfectly like before, but engine check light stays on. Any idea what could be the issue ? Will it cause problem on a long drive? I have seen people driving cars without bothering with engine check light on, however I am not sure how serious this issue can be. Can someone shed light on?
Old 7th July 2016, 19:32   #3670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
I got my Chevy Beat serviced just a month ago. It was running exceptionally butter smooth till yesterday. All of sudden today morning after starting the car, engine check light failed to turn off as usual. I drove around a bit but car is running perfectly like before, but engine check light stays on. Any idea what could be the issue ? Will it cause problem on a long drive? I have seen people driving cars without bothering with engine check light on, however I am not sure how serious this issue can be. Can someone shed light on?
If you have an OBD-II Scanner, you can plug it in & check for error codes. But the wise thing would be to have it checked at Chevrolet to diagnose the issue, if any.

If you look up on the internet, there are multiple possible reasons why the CEL might be glowing.

You can also read through the Team-BHP thread on Check Engine Light to see if you can identify your problem.
Old 17th August 2016, 12:23   #3671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
The check engine light in my car too keeps on going on and off arbitrarily. Kropex Chevrolet Bangalore were unable to diagnose. Not sure if something is wrong with the engine or the check engine light!

Are garages like First Choice good for servicing and upgrades? I want to go for a Red Rooster performance upgrade on my Beat but not sure if Chevrolet will service it after the upgrade.
Old 29th August 2016, 19:20   #3672
BHPian

After about 5 years of blissful ownership, time to beat adieu to Heartbeat. He has been like a family member to us. It was sad to let him go. Moving on from American to French.
Old 29th August 2016, 19:49   #3673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
After about 5 years of blissful ownership, time to beat adieu to Heartbeat. He has been like a family member to us. It was sad to let him go. Moving on from American to French.
Ah! 😢 I parted with my old girl a fortnight back. Congratulations for the mighty Duster.
Old 30th August 2016, 00:07   #3674
Senior - BHPian

Just out of curiosity what resale prices did you get ? Ill mostly be replacing my Beat next year. Will definitely be sad to see it go
Old 20th September 2016, 10:05   #3675
BHPian

By Beat 1.2P LS is about 5 years old now and I've had regular services done. I've noticed a drop in acceleration in 3rd gear in the last few months which throws off my timing while overtaking. The service center has not come up with a conclusive reason.

Could an ECU remap help here? Does anyone have details on ECU remap for a Beat?

Also, I'm considering of buying another car now, and want to go for some performance upgrades for the Beat. Is Red Rooster Performance in Bangalore any good? I am sure I can get more juice out of the 1.2P engine without compromising the engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks