Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2017, 14:39   #3691
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

A good friend of mine has a Chevy Beat and has the following query.

Quote:

- Low beam is not working - The parking light and high beam works fine. Checked the fuse and it looks good. Any pointers to check why the low beam is not working?

- Windshield washer container - Hit a dog at about 40kmph. There as no major damage (to the car, not sure about the canine). The container that holds the Windshield wash solution broke. Any idea on what it would cost to replace?
Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 2nd January 2017, 17:07   #3692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
A good friend of mine has a Chevy Beat and has the following query.

Thanks in advance for the help!
The low beam filament must have fused. Replace the bulb and check. Or are both bulbs low beams not working ? Then it could be a loose contact/wiring issue.
Dont know the cost of washer bottle he can call up the SC and check
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 18:26   #3693
BHPian

Hi all,

I will be taking out my Chevrolet Beat from the garage, back into regular office duties. The car is 6+ years old, and has been resting in my native place with little to no mileage over last 4 years. It was on regular scheduled service for first two years, but has been gathering dust after that.

1. Since I will be putting the car back to good use, what are the service/inspections I should normally complete before it becomes road worthy (100 km daily runs) again? The essential replacements I can think of are engine oil, oil filter, coolant, fuel filter, gear fluid
2. Will a routine inspection reveal deficiencies with brake, brake pads, suspension, etc?
3. Should I trust these jobs to a mechanic, or take services from Chevrolet service center - I am in Gurgaon and would be heading to Aravali Autos for the latter.
4. I am not very keen on body and paint jobs - but any idea of what a complete denting painting job would cost? I would think of this only when the car becomes totally road worthy and during summers for the paint job.

Thanks!
Old 28th January 2017, 19:39   #3694
Senior - BHPian

Do just an oil + filter change and coolant change for now. If the drained coolant looks rusty/brown instead of orange then do a coolant flush. After this you can drive it normally and then check if you feel anything is wrong and get that corrected.
Old 21st February 2017, 23:46   #3695
Senior - BHPian

Just got my clutch replaced along with transmission fluid, fuel filter replaced and rear brake cylinders replaced with change in brake oil + brake service, all for the princely sum of Rs 8200

Car feels wonderful to drive again with the super light clutch and I have regained the bit of performance and mileage I had lost due to the totally jammed rear brake cylinders.

Also got a few major scratches, scrapes and dents repaired and painted along with the rusting under the beading of the upper door frame on the inside. Still a few more small nicks and spots left which I will take care of later. Gave my baby a nice powerwash and wax coating after a long long time
Old 22nd February 2017, 08:29   #3696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Just got my clutch replaced along with transmission fluid, fuel filter replaced and rear brake cylinders replaced with change in brake oil + brake service, all for the princely sum of Rs 8200
Well, that seems to be a steal compared to what myavu reported to having paid for a clutch overhaul!

Could you please post a break-up of the components you replaced and their cost? I'm a bit puzzled as to why there is such a big difference in what you and myavu paid!

I will have to get the clutch on my Beat replaced this year (there is a shudder in first gear while trying to move from stand still or low speed). I need to be aware of what components to replace in a clutch overhaul! The workshops here at Bangalore are known to take unsuspecting customers for a ride.
Old 22nd February 2017, 09:41   #3697
BHPian

I own a Beat (2010 mfg, 50k kms) and the Hyderabad Orange Chevrolet guys also take you on a ride with their service costs. Recently I've paid 9k+ for a regular service (with engine oil change) and my primary complaint - poor AC performance, was NOT serviced well.

In short, the Beat is a great product (have used for 7 years without any major incident - touch wood) BUT the marketing of Chevy and the servicing of Orange Auto Hyderabad - have sort of made me give up hopes for Chevrolet in India.
Old 22nd February 2017, 13:53   #3698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
Well, that seems to be a steal compared to what myavu reported to having paid for a clutch overhaul!
I had replaced the entire clutch system. And the flywheel along with that worn out gear lever was the culprit for that atrocious bill.

1. Clutch - 1028
2. Pressure Plate - 1117
3. Bearing - 892
4. Flywheel - 5715
5. Clutch cable - 415
6. Gear Oil - 1175
7. Gear Lever - 1737

Labour : 3500

Discount : 5% on Spares & 15% on Labour

Total: Rs. 17,096/-

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 12:40   #3699
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I have a Chevy Beat Diesel (2012) model with about 65K Kms on the ODO. My new FNG has said the following services need to be done

1. Brake Disc and Brake Pad Change : Rs 2,600 Per Disc , Rs 1900 for the disc pad. (2600*2 + 1900) = 7200.

2. Suspension Components : 1. Front Shock Absorbers : Rs 2800 * 2 = Rs 5600
2. Front Struts : 1900 * 2 = Rs 3800.
3. Additional Mounts or something : Rs 2500 * 2 = Rs 4000.

Total including Paid Service the total bill is coming to Rs 25K. Is this normal ? How do I validate / verify the claims of the service guys ?
Old 5th March 2017, 18:15   #3700
Senior - BHPian

Just an update for those who asked for it, my pressure plate and flywheel were changed alond with the transmission fluid and some "packing" which Im not sure what he meant. Everything else was fine so it was not replaced. Also clutch cable was greased.

Charan : Cant comment on the suspension parts as I have not got them replaced ever.

However, the brake work is a bit on the higher side. The disc can be skimmed and the pads should be priced lower. I had got mine done about 2 years ago and the disc skimming + new pads + new larger caliper pins to permanently solve the rattling issue along with labour cost me in the ballpark of Rs 3500. Got it done by the same FNG chap who did my clutch work
Old 23rd March 2017, 15:20   #3701
Senior - BHPian

Another day, another blow! ODO 56321 KMs

Today morning on the way to the office (just 1 km from home) suddenly Beat felt very lethargic and with full throttle the car was gaining not much speed. Blower was on and I tried switching on AC. The whole car was shuddering and died down couple of times. OMG! This was my expression. Without wasting any time drive down (very slowly and carefully) to Metro Chevrolet. Waited good 2.5 hours and finally got the car back at 12:30pm. Ignition coil got busted. This came suddenly without any warning and made me poor by Rs. 6347/-

Invoice

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-coil.png

Vinu
Old 13th April 2017, 04:10   #3702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay87kumar View Post
Hi all,

The car is 6+ years old, and has been resting in my native place with little to no mileage over last 4 years.

1. The essential replacements I can think of are engine oil, oil filter, coolant, fuel filter, gear fluid.
Yes change all these. If possible get the oil changed at your home, as the vehicle has been standing for 4 years. Use a cheap oil with flush to drive till FNG. This will rinse the engine. Also make sure that you use the correct grade of oil and other fluids as mentioned in your manual. FNG and service centers have the habit of using any grade available with them. Also make sure that there is no over or under filling. Stick to manual.
Quote:
2. Will a routine inspection reveal deficiencies with brake, brake pads, suspension, etc?
Yes this will definitely help. After oil change and fluid change drive your car for day or two. Get the car washed as well. Lookout for leaks. Rubber seals are a weak point of Chevrolet. Get a new battery as well.
Quote:
3. Should I trust these jobs to a mechanic, or take services from Chevrolet service center - I am in Gurgaon and would be heading to Aravali Autos for the latter.
I don't about the ASS in your area, however fluid change and general service can be easily carried out at FNG. Will be cheaper as well. However for spare parts you might have to visit the ASS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Hi Folks,

I have a Chevy Beat Diesel (2012) model with about 65K Kms on the ODO. My new FNG has said the following services need to be done

1. Brake Disc and Brake Pad Change : Rs 2,600 Per Disc , Rs 1900 for the disc pad. (2600*2 + 1900) = 7200.

2. Suspension Components : 1. Front Shock Absorbers : Rs 2800 * 2 = Rs 5600
2. Front Struts : 1900 * 2 = Rs 3800.
3. Additional Mounts or something : Rs 2500 * 2 = Rs 4000.

Total including Paid Service the total bill is coming to Rs 25K. Is this normal ? How do I validate / verify the claims of the service guys ?
1. For brakes I would strongly suggest you to visit ASS. Chevrolet spare parts are not available in market. The compatible ones are either imported or are of very poor quality. Since brakes are important from safety aspect, I would advise you not to take any chances in this matter.

2. The figures are bloated. Chevrolet has a child part policy for suspension where the gas strut, spring and mount are available separately. Whichever part is fine can be re-used. Plus there is a warranty on the work done. So I will suggest you to stick to ASS for this job as well. My beat had developed a leak. I got the job done outside, however the same strut again developed a leak. Finally I got it repaired from ASS. The culprit was lower arm and top mount. Till now the strut is fine and contrary to FNG opinion I didn't have to replace the other side strut as well.

So go to ASS, get the inspection done in front of you. Don't fall for their traps. Get only the required items replaced. For general service be particular about the grade of oil. It should be the one mentioned in your manual. (Beat D uses 5W30 ACEA A3/B4 semi synthetic oil.) Speak to the manager, he might give you a 5% discount on labour or parts.

Last edited by PraNeel : 13th April 2017 at 04:17.
Old 28th May 2017, 21:42   #3703
Senior - BHPian

On 16th of May our Beaty turned 7. That's one good long 7 years.

She got her 14th service done on Saturday, 27th May.

ODO @ 59242 Kms

Minor issues sorted out this time

1. Damaged 2 studs and its nuts changed in the right front wheel hub
2. Spark Plugs changed for the first time
3. Air Filter Changed
4. Cleaned all four brakes. Front one still have another 3K Kms life left while rear got another 20K Kms left.
5. Rear wiper blade changed
6. Windshield washer solution
7. Complete Car wash

Total Bill Amount 2642/-

Invoice
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-beat-invoice.jpg

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 29th May 2017, 04:25   #3704
BHPian

Quote: