Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:24   #3736
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Another year has passed. This time Beaty didn't went for her usual half-yearly service.
NB: There is a minuscule leak at Water pump elbow pipe joint and they gave a rough estimate of Rs. 21000/- to replace Water Pump, Elbow

Vinu
My Beat Jan 2011 Petrol
ODO 139,000 as of Jan 2019, 8 years completed.

Driving pattern 80 % driven on 4 ways and 10% state HW, 10% city

I Too had got a strong suggestion to replace water pump because SA found minor leak, weak elbow joint in cooling system connection which was told during during my last service while odo was around 123,000 last may. Since we had an amby long back and knew how to tackle juggad works, I strictly said no, lets me think next time.

Straight away I went to local store and bought MAK coolant oil and put that bottle in the boot just in case of emg.

Over the next few weeks I irregularly kept checking the bottom of the car for coolant leakage which was easy to spot because of neon green color but I found nothing till date. However, I kept topped the coolant tank and ensured the level was maintained.

Gear lever knob cracked during 80,000 odo and changed with after maket model.

Some time during 90,000 I had engine mis-firing issue and culprit was ignition coil kit and spark plug was duly replaced, costing aprx 8 to 9k, forgot the exact figure.

During 123,000 service I had severe break issues, and changed disks , calipers but still problem persisted, and finally the problem was with break booster and was replaced.

Fast forward to Dec 2018, 135000 KM service, I had issues of front hard suspension and got the estimate as below

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-20181227_182618.jpg (sorry for blurred image, was in hurry taking the pic)

All the parts are told to be replaced by the SA and I was asked to authenticate for the required parts to be ordered.

Luckily another beat with 145,000 ODO was jacked up for the same issues and I was able to ask the SA to show exactly what these parts are and he showed it to me promptly.

I found everything justifiable having odo of 139k and ordered the parts.

Can somebody vouch the suspension parts listed are correct so that I can ensure what I am doing is fair.

Recently last week I am facing issues of gear shifting from 2-3 = 3-2 with odo @ 139k . Will need to diagnose the issue, hopefully should be clutch

N.B
From the thread I am able to find out water pump, ignition coil, gear lever crack, are some common problem in all beats irrespective of driving style and area.
Old 4th January 2019, 13:33   #3737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
My Beat Jan 2011 Petrol
ODO 139,000 as of Jan 2019, 8 years completed.

Driving pattern 80 % driven on 4 ways and 10% state HW, 10% city

I Too had got a strong suggestion to replace water pump because SA found minor leak, weak elbow joint in cooling system connection which was told during during my last service while odo was around 123,000 last may. Since we had an amby long back and knew how to tackle juggad works, I strictly said no, lets me think next time.

Straight away I went to local store and bought MAK coolant oil and put that bottle in the boot just in case of emg.

Recently last week I am facing issues of gear shifting from 2-3 = 3-2 with odo @ 139k . Will need to diagnose the issue, hopefully should be clutch

N.B
From the thread I am able to find out water pump, ignition coil, gear lever crack, are some common problem in all beats irrespective of driving style and area.
Whistling sound came from the engine bay soon after purchase. The ASS sprayed aerosol lubricant near the AC pump and the noise stopped. Conclusion: rubbing from oil seal of pump. Since it did not affect operation, I left it alone.

Today the AC stopped working. FNG diagnosed it as AC electric clutch shorted, symptom being fuse blown. ASS suggested leaving car for testing, since AC clutch replacement needs full AC pump system dismantling, requiring change of pump oil and refrigerant gas. If only clutch is replaced, the labour charges would be repeated if later on it is found that the pump has seized.

Cost of replacing pump: 25000/-

Cost of replacing clutch: 15000/-

Cost of replacing clutch+pump: 40000/- (no return for clutch)

Took the car to Chor Bazar.

Cost of replacing pump: 9000/=

Cost of replacing clutch: 5000/=

Cost of replacing clutch+pump: 12000/=

I asked for clutch coil to be replaced. CB garage suggested I go for exchange refurbished unit for 7000/=.

I declined. I felt my pump was better than a dubious refurb.

The work was done and AC got back on line.

I believe that the air gap in the clutch was not adjusted properly in manufacturing stage, leading to heating up and destruction of clutch coil. Please get gap checked if noise is heard.

Gear knob crumbled, a known issue in Chevy Beat/Spark worldwide. I collected all the pieces, glued them back and covered with a plastic/rubber eBay knob cover.

Last edited by proton : 4th January 2019 at 13:36. Reason: spelling
proton is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 12:34   #3738
BHPian

Hello All,

I have a Beat diesel 2012, did 90K till date and went for regular services..

Recently the oil level in the car has been falling, ~ 500 ML per 500 KMS per my measurement. This led to a conked turbo which we replaced at the dealership, however the issue still persists which leads me to top up the oil every two weeks.

I took it to KHT Chevrolet last week the service advisor advised to 1) Replace PCV filter and check, failing which

2) engine rebuild needs to happen, at ~INR 80K.. to INR 1.2L..

Have you seen this problem, does PCV filter replacement solve the issue most of the times ?

Any dependable FNG I can go to. The services are too costly at the authorized service center.

finally, Offline, The mechanic advised me to sell it off as the maintenance will only increase in the future..
Old 27th March 2019, 13:13   #3739
BHPian

I want to install some custom DRLs in the fog lamp housing of my Beat LS. Does anyone know of any good shop in Bangalore that will do the installation properly? I am thinking of getting BMWesque white circle DRL in the fog lamp housing.

Last edited by vkrmchauhan : 27th March 2019 at 13:19.
Old 9th May 2019, 13:56   #3740

Hi all, this is arun kumar, purchased Beat LT option pack - Diesel a week back with very good maintenance, which has done 60k on the odo, need help regarding instrument cluster. I have noticed no warning lights shown for seat belt , hand brake. Can someone please post small video of key on sequence to check and confirm if anything else is missing. Btw the is no beep sound also.

Last edited by arun.r : 9th May 2019 at 14:11.
Old 3rd October 2019, 17:02   #3741
Senior - BHPian

With a very heavy heart (and a light pocket) I sold off our Chevrolet Beat Diesel LT (21 Oct 2011 - 2 Oct 2019) with 63,718 Kms on the ODO.

What made us sell it ?

1. Despite regular oil changes and maintenance, the car had reduced pick-up.
2. Dad had knocked the car a lot of time and one side had been repainted
3. Clutch had become very hard for his comfort

The local mechanic showed us how smoke was coming out of the dip-stick pipe. As per him, it happens in case of back-compression, possibly due to piston rings not able to hold well which pushes smoke back below the cylinder in the oil pan and escaping through the dip stick pipe. It also spewed a little oil out which I am not sure if it was due to that or not, but of-late the engine bay would smell a lot of diesel smoke after switching off or at idle, just like old Tata buses. He said it would require a proper check to find out exact cause, and the cost would vary anything between 10k to 80k depending on what parts would require changing. Add to that, dad usually drives it now, so cannot afford him to run around garages or worst case scenario like engine breaking down while he is driving with his old woman. It made sense to sell her off and get a new car for him.

I am a bit sad because I followed the service intervals to the T and got the oil filter and oil changed at every 6000-7500 kms, the car was driven sedately all these years, and yet there was such an issue with the car. I probably would have got it serviced if it was a petrol and if Chevrolet still existed .Overall, I have been a happy customer, the car was good in terms of build quality and looks and funky-ness. When I grow old, I am going to tell my kid that I drove a green colored car and it was such a looker that a couple of people (women included) did ask me which car it was back in 2011

Last edited by NiInJa : 3rd October 2019 at 17:04.
NiInJa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 15:07   #3742
Senior - BHPian

Sad news indeed. I'm holding on to my 2011 Petrol LT for another year or two even though it has some issues.
May I ask what resale value you got for your car ?
Old 4th October 2019, 16:11   #3743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
With a very heavy heart (and a light pocket) I sold off our Chevrolet Beat Diesel LT (21 Oct 2011 - 2 Oct 2019) with 63,718 Kms on the ODO.

What did you move on to? My Beat diesel too is of similar lineage (November 2011, around 60k kms), and I can't make up my mind what to go for.
Old 9th October 2019, 00:17   #3744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
What did you move on to? My Beat diesel too is of similar lineage (November 2011, around 60k kms), and I can't make up my mind what to go for.
We booked the S-Presso ! Back in 2011 when I was single, the Beat was shared between me and my Dad, but now I and my wife got an Ertiga and dad needed a simple no-frills small car for his city commutes.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 14:28   #3745
Senior - BHPian

Another November and Beaty now munched 10403 more KMs.The longest without a service in last 9.5 Years (ODO @ 80412)

Reached the Metro Service Centre by 10:00 am and the area was almost empty. Got the Car on the lift immediately and work started.

Engine Oil/Filter changed, Throttle Body cleaned, Petrol filter changed (last changed @ 35000 Kms and the state of it was pathetic. Dark black petrol leftover was coming out), Brakes cleaned, Air & AC filter changed, detailed washing done and car was handed over by 12:30 pm. Bought 2 litre coolant for topping up ~200 ml every 30 days.

Final Bill after discount (7% on parts & 35% on labour) = Rs. 5867 /-

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-img_20191122_134129.jpg

Better late than never. Colour of Engine Oil after 10000 KMs of running (100% Delhi City)

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-img_20191122_102818.jpg

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 15:03   #3746
Senior - BHPian

Completed 50000km and 8.5 years on my Best this Sunday after a Mumbai Pune road trip. Car is okayish so far with some rusting issues but I think I will hang on to it a bit longer and get closer to completing 10years before I buy a replacement. Anyways the resale value is poor so I might as well make up the loss by using the car more.
Old 27th December 2019, 15:24   #3747
BHPian

I have a 2010 Beat Petrol LT which still serves me well. I'm planning to sell this off in 2020 with a very heavy heart. However, does anybody know what's the kind of resale value to expect for a 10 yr old 55k kms run Beat Petrol LT?
Old 27th December 2019, 19:14   #3748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
I have a 2010 Beat Petrol LT which still serves me well. I'm planning to sell this off in 2020 with a very heavy heart. However, does anybody know what's the kind of resale value to expect for a 10 yr old 55k kms run Beat Petrol LT?
Quadmaniac, one word - very low.

If the vehicle is light on maintenance, delivers a good mileage - I will recommend using it for the next 5 years and then scrap it.

55K in 10 years is moderate running me says. Enjoy the good vehicle.

Regards
Nikhil
Old 27th December 2019, 23:34   #3749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just to give you an idea, I sold my 2011 LT Petrol, 50k ODO, for 2.75 Lakhs in 2017.
I would expect somewhere around 1.60 -1.80 (stretched to 2) lakhs for your 2010 model selling in 2019.
Old 28th December 2019, 09:32   #3750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I sold my 9 year old Beat Petrol LT with 35k on odo for Rs. 1 lakh during Diwali this year. Mechanically the car was perfect, however there was quite a bit of rusting issue and water leakage problem, otherwise would have fetched me around 1.15 lakh.

I visited Cars24, Olx, Carwale but max I was offered Rs. 65k. I wanted to hold till December but broker said Diwali would be good time to sell as there will be demand for cars whether new or pre-owned. Also with the year coming to an end, resale value will go down and also my insurance had to be renewed.

Finally I got a Baleno Alpha CVT and I am super happy with it.

Most Viewed