Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 14:12   #541
BHPian

You are right, the Music system automatically sets the volume at 15. Its a good thing.

If you are having LT. Shutting off A/c is on the 3rd Knob. The rounded 1.
1st one is for Auto control & Fan(you can switch off the Fan & everything of climate control will shut off. 2nd one is for Defrost & flow control & The 3rd round is for AC with Temprature control & AC button. You can officially shut down the AC by pressing the little button between the round. Other things will left ON except cooling. Thats the way it is.

Totally agreed & experiencing the Same in 2nd gear. So keeping the clutch tight is the only way right now. Hopefully it will improve after 5k kms(But I dont think it wil make a big diff. it ll just give 5-10% improvement).

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
Some questions from my side:
  1. Whenever the engine shuts off, it seems the music system volume gets reset to 15 - anyone else faced this?
  2. How do I shut off the AC
  3. In 2nd gear, when I'm moving up slope, I see the lack of power others mentioned here. Should I push to 3rd, or rev higher (I'm currently limiting to 2.5k RPM)
How sensitive the Suspensions are! That is a big point for chevy. If you shake the leg, the whole car will vibrate & dance with you! they can make an Ad. for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrip View Post
Da.Maulik and vprodigy, I share the same concerns and observed the same problems.
A funny thing happened today, my friend was sitting on the passenger seat and was shaking his leg while waiting on a traffic light, the whole car started shaking, it was good enough shake that we could feel it in about 3-5 seconds.

It badly needs a dead pedal.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd March 2010 at 14:51. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote instead, Thanks
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:29   #542

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX Overdrive View Post
I agree with all, but just one glitch I found, I pressed the hazard(turbulence) button, it got stuck in and didn't come out to stop the flashing indicators. The sales guy found it tough to shut it down, but with some pressure points finally succeeded. Will have to check it with the tech team and get it fixed.
Congratulations MAX. I faced the same problem with hazard lights button, i had to press it thrice to switch off. What did the Sales guy say to this when u asked? Can it be fixed?
I figured it is the walls of the switch, which are interfering with the free play. I don't see a solution to it. Unless someone wants to physically sand it and the polish it, or chevy fixes it.
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:41   #543
BHPian

Gemithomas

Well, initially, the gearshift was butter smooth, I feel some stiffness in the gears now. There is no such play but I feel shifting 2nd to 3rd is some hard now. When I drove it b4 this 1000kms trip, it was soo smooth, shifting 1st to 2nd is ok but changing 2nd to 3rd is a bit awkward now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
very good detailed review. Would like to know more about the Gear shifts. Does it loose its smoothness y just 1000km!!! I mean is there any play in the gear lever by now? What exactly is the difference you are talking about?

About F.E I dont think you can expect more than 16 when doing 100-130km/hr

The ARAI rating is around 18 so getting anything close to 17 during practical use is really great. I bet you could get more if you are very careful with pressing the accelerator and if you maintain seeds around 90km/hr. Strictly No fast accelerations or braking. But then whats the fun in driving a car this capable.
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:42   #544

I have been driving the Beat in Delhi NCR and getting a mileage of 11km/l. It's mostly stop and go traffic and 25% of the time bumper to bumper. Is this number be something i should be worried about? My honda city gives about 12 km/l.

I am really concerned about lack of punch at below 2500 RPM. It's getting very hard to overtake another car. Driving it on low traffic streets is fun, but during peak hours it's just alright, not a star.

Thing I seem to be enjoying the most is the attention it is getting. People have been flocking outside my office to see it up close. But that's the downside too, it's very noticeable...shouldn't have gone for the cocktail green color. I hope the attention doesn't last long.
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:45   #545
BHPian

Thanks Vprodigy

Thanks brother,

I read somewhere that the sell of Chevy beat has made a record in February too. But I don't many Beats around our region in Kutch. They are really making an aggresive marketing but its still difficult to beat marutiz. Chevy people promised me that the service station is soon gonna start in my town but today I called them & they said the service cant be given here. So I have to go 60kms far to take the 1st service. I am afraid that they may not be able to give maruti Kinda service.

Exact same problem with Rear gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprodigy View Post
great insights da.maulik. We share same concerns when it comes to gear shift. I feel the gear shift is getting hard day by day and sometime when you slot in the reverse gear it makes a sharp noise and then you have to go back to neutral and slot again in the reverse. The reverse gear has been a problem since day one for me making sharp noise on occasions and I have to change it again.

Regarding FE you should not expect more than 16-17 at that speeds.

AC is chilling but yesterday it stopped working and I had to restart it not sure why it happened.

Pickup I agree is very poor so I'm waiting to cross 5k KM's and see if its still that way but its very easy to drive in city with that gear ratios.

Backache could be because you drove 1000 KMs in one day and thats a lot. But let me tell you that the Beat seats are the most comfortable in the class(in my opinion)

I agree with you on tilt steering as it not much of use. I wish it could tilt a little more for a perfect driving position.

I checked the noise in the cabin with music system turned off and you can hear the tire noise and its bad and gets worse with bad roads so always keep the music on.I played punjabi music as well and I found it decent not fond of playing the ICE loud as I don't want to force my music choice on others.

Engine noise kicks in even at 2500 rpm and keeps increasing but I think that has been deliberately kept to give a sport fell. Also if you see the Beat commercial it makes that same sound just like at high rpm's.
Old 3rd March 2010, 19:35   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by da.maulik View Post
Gearshift was soft earlier but after driving 900kms, I felt that its loosing the softness & in rear gear, if you don't clutch properly, You will have to re-start the car. Rear gear knocks & its not butter smooth like i10 to shift the gear in rear.

I am getting doubts on FE. it gave me approx.: 17.5 in the city(normal petrol), on highway 80% AC ON & Speed of 100-130 it gave me 16. Then again it gave me 15 on highway. I expected more on highway. Is it because of Speed or what?
Hard gear shift might be due to clutch adjustment. You can have a look at it. This is a cable type transmission. They are supposed to be very smooth.

Specific to Beat, the short 5th gear means higher engine RMP thus drinking more fuel. But in any car if you drive above 100Km you go out of the economy zone. Try to be in the range of 80-110. and you will definately get 20KMPL. If you have hovered around 120, an fe of 16 isnt bad. As a matter of fact FE deteriorates rapidly after 70kmph. As Road load due to wind drag is a function of velocity square.

Cant comment anything on your breakage of windshield. All I can say is water feels very hard if you do improper diving. But the angle of windshield is such that it deflects the water along the angle of attack. What I mean to say here is the breakage will definitely not happen in a Lamborghini but will shatter the glass of Tata Sumo. My personal opinion----should not have happened in beat.
Old 3rd March 2010, 20:57   #547
BHPian

Brother Oxyzen

If its due to clutch adjustment, does it change just in 1000kms? I mean, the clutch adjustment gets change at intervals but it was smooth just before 900kms. Though its not a big issue I think. The windscreen isn't broken, but it has got some round cracks. I will post the pictures, so that u can guess how it happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Hard gear shift might be due to clutch adjustment. You can have a look at it. This is a cable type transmission. They are supposed to be very smooth.

Specific to Beat, the short 5th gear means higher engine RMP thus drinking more fuel. But in any car if you drive above 100Km you go out of the economy zone. Try to be in the range of 80-110. and you will definately get 20KMPL. If you have hovered around 120, an fe of 16 isnt bad. As a matter of fact FE deteriorates rapidly after 70kmph. As Road load due to wind drag is a function of velocity square.

Cant comment anything on your breakage of windshield. All I can say is water feels very hard if you do improper diving. But the angle of windshield is such that it deflects the water along the angle of attack. What I mean to say here is the breakage will definitely not happen in a Lamborghini but will shatter the glass of Tata Sumo. My personal opinion----should not have happened in beat.
Old 3rd March 2010, 21:32   #548
Senior - BHPian

About the auto a/c. Is it possible to set the temperature. If so what range is available. (I mean degree celcius). And how many speeds for the fan?

Also does the cd player show the names of song/folder etc?

The carwale review mentions of the gear feeling rubbery and that 2nd and 3rd shifts would make you doubt if it is slotted properly. Hope its not an issue that would increase with time.

I just saw this pic. What is this thing marked in the circle??
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-1480.jpg  

Last edited by gemithomas : 3rd March 2010 at 21:43.
Old 3rd March 2010, 21:33   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by da.maulik View Post
If its due to clutch adjustment, does it change just in 1000kms? I mean, the clutch adjustment gets change at intervals but it was smooth just before 900kms. Though its not a big issue I think. The windscreen isn't broken, but it has got some round cracks. I will post the pictures, so that u can guess how it happened.
I am not too much into transmission. But I will try to get the information for you. All I know is clutch adjustment does not change just in 1000kms. But when it comes to initial 1000Km no one can tell.

I have clocked only 650Km till now. So I have not faced anything like---it was smooth just before 900kms and after 1000Km it lost its softness. SO jast waiting to watch and see.
Old 3rd March 2010, 22:11   #550
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I just saw this pic. What is this thing marked in the circle??
That's the climate control sensor for maintaining the temp.
Old 3rd March 2010, 22:20   #551
Senior - BHPian

Seeing a lot of complaints of poor pickup from Beat owners. Surprising since it has 80 bhp, which is pretty good.

Must be the tall gearing that is the culprit here.
Old 3rd March 2010, 22:44   #552
BHPian

Vprodigy, if your service centre is nearby why don't you get your clutch adjustment checked? If its not the clutch then we might have some serious gear box issues here. Also the fact that the pick up is too low has kind of become a turn off for me. Did I make a mistake in choosing the beat?
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:21   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrip View Post
Congratulations MAX. I faced the same problem with hazard lights button, i had to press it thrice to switch off. What did the Sales guy say to this when u asked? Can it be fixed?
I figured it is the walls of the switch, which are interfering with the free play. I don't see a solution to it. Unless someone wants to physically sand it and the polish it, or chevy fixes it.
They are clueless about this issue. We were stuck on the road when it happened, so called them up regarding the issue. They said that the boot door wouldn't be closed properly which might be causing the issue. But we confirmed that it is the button which is stuck inside and not coming out.

All I know is, these guys know nothing about the features of the new beat, they have their own understanding and provide feedback which is utterly vague.

The sales guy said that we'll be getting a new electrician for the beat and will confirm us when can we visit him and get the issue fixed.

Another thing which I faced today, connected the USB mini with a full USB converter, hooked a pen drive with MP3 songs, but no go. It didn't play any, tried pressing the USB dedicated button the on the audio console, but nothing happened, any clues?....thanks.
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:24   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
That's the climate control sensor for maintaining the temp.
But earlier, Vprodigy confirmed that the sensor on the top of the dash relates to climate control, I guess thats a dummy sensor.

Anyways, will check the user manual and confirm back.
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:54   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

Yes. Water is quite destructive at higher speeds. Very high pressure water jets are even used to cut sheet metals and wood. There are water jet cutting machines available in the industrial market. So you can imagine the strength of water!
da.maulik: In your case, the 120kmph speed would have caused the damage.
Try to get it claimed from your insurance company.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks