Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 09:22   #706
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrip View Post
Alright Folks! My first manufacturing defect has come up in green beat.

The panel which encases the aircon vents and hazard lights switch, has cracked up and looks like someone burnt it. I will post the pics soon for a better understanding of the defect.

Good news is GM has acknowledged it as a manufacturing defect and will be replacing the whole panel.They took pictures and plan to do something about it.
I also talked to them again about the noise problem from rear suspension, they have told me that they will be putting in a collar as soon as they get it. It will reduce the noise by a lot, but then again I have been assured of lot of things before too.

Also my FE numbers went up a little after doing about 1000Kms. They are currently around 14.

GM has acknowledged problem which have croped up.. so far. Please put up the pics as I am curious to see exactly what has happened. The collars they installed in my Beat have not made a difference. I am yet to go ang get it checked.
Old 16th April 2010, 11:11   #707

Please find the low resolution pics attached.

@ Gemithomas . It's near the AC vent and i keep my AC n whenever I drive, The weather has been not kind.

I presume it's because I parked it in sun one day, I usually park it inside. But What could have happened is, It was in sun for several hours, i sat inside, it was very hot, even with Vkool films. The AC being very effective starts cooling it down. Now the panel seems to have some kind of grey plastic sheet pasted over it. From too hot to suddenly cool, it couldn't take it.

@ Mafia . That's a sad news. Keep us posted after your visit to them.

My advice race it, rip it put it under stress and load test decently. So as to find out most problems during warranty period. Once warranty gets over, we'll have to live with the eye sores like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-photo2.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-photo3.jpg  

Old 16th April 2010, 22:13   #708
BHPian

Cost cutting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrip View Post
Alright Folks! My first manufacturing defect has come up in green beat.

The panel which encases the aircon vents and hazard lights switch, has cracked up and looks like someone burnt it.
I also talked to them again about the noise problem from rear suspension, they have told me that they will be putting in a collar as soon as they get it. It will reduce the noise by a lot, but then again I have been assured of lot of things before too.
Cost cutting? Cheap parts? Can't say.But certainly not good for a new model, esp, in a highly competitive market.Hope there aren't any other areas of concern with the car. And yes, good to know that GM has acknowledged the problems.
Old 16th April 2010, 23:36   #709
Distinguished - BHPian

@deeptrip: IIRC, we have something like that happening on our BMW as well. Do let us know what could be the reason.
Old 17th April 2010, 02:56   #710
Senior - BHPian

@deeptrip and @mafia

I wouldn't worry too much about the plastics, they really are not that important and it is not a very big deal. It's good that GM has acknowledged it and has promised to get it changed.

The noise from the suspension is something more serious, hopefully it's a simple fix. I quite like the value proposition that the Beat brings to the table.
Old 17th April 2010, 11:27   #711
BHPian

I have posted my Initial ownership experience of my Green Beat LT in the following thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-report.html
Old 17th April 2010, 23:30   #712
Senior - BHPian

I have clocked 2000KM on my Beat LS.

Strictly I love driving and so you can say buying Beat is a ridiculous decision. But the fact is I will be driving it for 2-3 years after which it will be used as a 2nd car which I wont drive anymore. So basically I was not looking for any swift over here. I just wanted a descent VFM hatch.

Like I said before performance was a bit lagging. There is a huge lag in acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear below 2000 RPM. Floor the throttle but the car will have no intention of changing its state of motion. Once you cross that 2000-2500 mark you unleash the beast in beat. In that power band the Beat pulls strongly and smoothly. You really feels the 80 horses live in action. Havent still crossed 4000. Put it in the 4th and 5th gear. The car feels much quicker. Response is also better. Thanks to the short gearing.

Handling does not inspire a lot of confidence in me. Quick lane maneuvers is definitely not one of Beat's strong points. Body roll is evident. During hard braking I feel like the rear slides to one side. (Happened once only) A tire upgrade is must if you want to play with it.

Ride is definitely one of the best. Have gone through the worst pothole filled roads in the city but the suspension absorbs all these with ease.

There are a few thing I am really liking about this car.
Wonderful AC, 0 NVH at idle, Dashboard, Ride quality
Things I hate--Handling, low end torque, rear seats.

Beat is not a car for enthusiasts. It is a car for people who likes to get themselves pampered with the space-age design, modern dashboard and royal ride quality.
All in all I am very happy with what I got considering what I paid.

Anyway have started to chalk out what car to buy after 2/3 yrs--
Linea Tjet, Upcoming fiesta, Polo 1.6, Kizashi (if in Budget) or anything new.
Old 18th April 2010, 02:10   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Beat is not a car for enthusiasts. It is a car for people who likes to get themselves pampered with the space-age design, modern dashboard and royal ride quality.
All in all I am very happy with what I got considering what I paid.
That is in essence a perfect summation of what the Beat stands for. It's styling is it's USP, there is nothing quite like it on Indian roads. It comes with compromises in other areas but it's good to have a modern "different" looking hatch with a (very) refined engine and good ride quality.

My prediction for the Beat is that it's not going to be as successful as the Figo, but it'll carve a niche for itself among young car buyers and people looking for an out of the ordinary second car.
Old 18th April 2010, 10:35   #714
BHPian

I will be testing my Beat on my trip next week to Dalhousie, dharamshala, manali and shimla with an approx 2000 km of running in plains and mountains. If Beat proves its worth then nothing like it. I hope it makes me proud.

Last edited by vprodigy : 18th April 2010 at 10:38. Reason: update
Old 18th April 2010, 15:09   #715
BHPian

GM are u listening?

The BEAT is notorious for its lack of pick up in the 2nd gear. Another drawback of this car is the not so comfortable rear seat. IMO GM should address these issuees sooner,else the sales would be affected a lot.
I wonder what the decision makers at GM are planning about this .
If these issues get sorted soon, I feel the car would be liked by many more customers, and then it would be difficult to beat the car, what with its VFM pricing.
Old 18th April 2010, 18:29   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprodigy View Post
I will be testing my Beat on my trip next week to Dalhousie, dharamshala, manali and shimla with an approx 2000 km of running in plains and mountains. If Beat proves its worth then nothing like it. I hope it makes me proud.
Wish you all the best vprodigy! Hope to see a detailed travelogue with the breathtaking scenery you're sure to encounter.
Old 18th April 2010, 19:36   #717
BHPian

Found more problems with BEAT on a hill drive

100 Km Uphill - It just won't climb on a hill with AC on, it fails to move even an inch if you put it in 2nd gear (steep hill, 45 degree angle atleat). You have to shutdown the AC to make it move. That was ridiculous.

100 Km Downhill - Found a manufacturing defect. Was taking the benefit of gravity, was driving on Neutral (engine on) and using just the breaks, it made squeaking noise every time I put on the brakes, as the duration of pressing the break is more on downhill driving compared with normal highway breaking, it made continuous squeaking noise and was quite loud. When back on plains, the noise just went off!! Don't know what could have caused it. drove around 100 more Km's since then, but no noise.

I'm yet to talk with GM guys on this, does any of you know the reasons, so I could be well prepared with the logic GM gives back.
Old 18th April 2010, 21:02   #718
BHPian

Thanks Quad....I'm looking forward to this trip and i'm confident that Beat will win this test. For me this will be the best test for our favorite car and one opportunity to silence the critics. I'll test the car on all the parameters and hope the car upholds my trust on it.

I agree with everyone on the poor pickup in the 2nd and 3rd gears and I envy other hatches when they zip past on the intersection while Beat struggles to pick at low rpm's. I'm worried about this especially I will be driving them in the mountains and not sure how Beat will fare. I anyone else has driven in the mountains let me know how Beat fares and anything I should take care while climbing up. I wish GM should do something about and I'll love to compromise on FE for this as this is the only area where Beat gets beaten down compared to other hatches in the segment where as on all other fronts Beat beats all hatches on most of the parameters.
Old 18th April 2010, 21:42   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX Overdrive View Post

100 Km Uphill - It just won't climb on a hill with AC on, it fails to move even an inch if you put it in 2nd gear (steep hill, 45 degree angle atleat). You have to shutdown the AC to make it move. That was ridiculous.

100 Km Downhill - Found a manufacturing defect. Was taking the benefit of gravity, was driving on Neutral (engine on) and using just the breaks, it made squeaking noise every time I put on the brakes, as the duration of pressing the break is more on downhill driving compared with normal highway breaking, it made continuous squeaking noise and was quite loud. When back on plains, the noise just went off!! Don't know what could have caused it. drove around 100 more Km's since then, but no noise.

I'm yet to talk with GM guys on this, does any of you know the reasons, so I could be well prepared with the logic GM gives back.
I do not think it is advisable to coast downhill on neutral. You should have put it on 2nd gear and then brake periodically.
Neutral sets the wheels in free rolling mode, and you do not get the benefit of engine braking, and that way end up using your brakes more (and overheating them). The noise you heard were the brakes overheating and screeching.
Old 18th April 2010, 22:45   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You cant expect to climb 45 degrees in 2nd gear. Even I failed to climb 45 degrees with Indigo Manza (Diesel) in 2nd gear.

Quote:
Squeaking noise is due to overheating of brakes. You are really crazy to drive downhill in neutral. It is highly risky. You can thank god your brakes didnt fail. Put in in 1st/ 2nd gear while going downhill. Its for your own safety.

Most Viewed