Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2010, 00:24   #946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Thanks oxyzen for sharing the pics.
"press fitted cam shaft" - Then I guess it should be Sintered Steel(precision powder metallurgy) Cam Lobes. These are supposed to give better result than forged cam shafts.
I have no Idea if that is Sintered steel. May be it is. Cant comment on better results, but definitely cheaper to manufacture.

Quote:
Are the Con Rods "fracture split" type?
No. As far as I know they are used mainly in Diesel. You know why.

Quote:
Please do share further pics and info with us if you are having more.
Well if I post too much may be the informant will stop providing me these. But anyway I will try to do my best.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:30   #947

My 2K old Beat LT

Hi, just finished the firs 2K on my blue beat LT. No real issues. Just that the second / third gear is a bit underpowered. Makes me rev to get it into the 2.5-3RPM band for pickup in these gears. Not that i mind revving it hard

I have been only using normal petrol. With close to 100% AC in city roads I am getting around 11. Is that not below the company claimed numbers. Wanted to hear what others think.

1) Is it better to switch to speed/power - Any mileage gains / power gains?
2) Is it ok to switch to K&N or should i wait for a few more miles?

Thanks
Srini
Old 24th May 2010, 16:54   #948
BHPian

Congrats surfer. I agree that the figure is a bit less, since I get around 12 (and I am a real noob driver).

Even I haven't tried premium fuel at all. Please post a full review with pics
Old 24th May 2010, 17:09   #949
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Fuel efficiency depends on so many parameters and so would vary from person to person, car to car, city to city etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
Congrats surfer. I agree that the figure is a bit less, since I get around 12 (and I am a real noob driver).
You are in Hyderabad and surfer is in Pune and both of you may have different driving environments. So a direct compariosn would be difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer View Post
I have been only using normal petrol. With close to 100% AC in city roads I am getting around 11. Is that not below the company claimed numbers. Wanted to hear what others think.
Could both of you put in more details about the driving and the driving environment each of you have / face every day?

I am sure ordinary petrol would be the one suggested. Check the manual please.

Any alteration may attract warranty issues, even a K&N filter.
Old 24th May 2010, 17:48   #950
BHPian

Today I did a full tank filling.
Got a FE of 14kmpl. (434kms / 31.04lts)
This time there was lot of idle running with AC on to keep my family members cool while parking and it was almost 50/50 highway - city driving(few traffic jams).
Today I drove almost 20kms with the low fuel warning before fueling.
Dont know what is the reserve capacity. I think there should be atleast 4lts of fuel in reserve.
Now for the 1st time I have filled IOC Xtrapremium.
Will check for any change in FE as well as performance with xtrapremium.
Old 25th May 2010, 09:28   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I drove almost 20kms with the low fuel warning before fueling.
Dont know what is the reserve capacity. I think there should be atleast 4lts of fuel in reserve.
I think in this thread or some other thread it is already mentioned as 5 Ltr.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:14   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
I think in this thread or some other thread it is already mentioned as 5 Ltr.
Indeed it is 5 ltrs. I had already mentioned this before
Old 25th May 2010, 18:58   #953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
I feel, sadly, nothing can be done,except wait and hope that GM would incorporate all these ( and many other missing ) features in the BEAT.May be after that you could swap the instruments, that too, if feasible.
Don't think its possible to do. IMO its a combination of some equipments in Tank and ECM which can start this. Even if someone changes the Equipments in Tank , changing the ECM could cost a lot really.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:27   #954
BHPian

I had undertaken a 200 km road trip last Sunday, mostly on winding and hilly roads. By the time I got home my left hand was aching due to the frequent gear shifts from second to third and vice versa. To be frank, the beat is the worst car to go on long drives, unless its an express way or the like. I was really ashamed to see wagon-r's flying past me on steep climbs, making me wonder whether the car really had an 80 bhp engine. I don't think any engine running-in will actually result in improved performance for the beat.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:50   #955
vihang15

self long drive on beat .

hi friends ,

yesterday i went for a self long drive on my beat to my village . here are my observations .

good points .

1. the car feels really safe at high speeds , maneuvering the beat is fun at high speeds .
2. overtaking the trucks and trailers feels safe as the beat has a good road grip . and weight ratio .
3. the vehicle handled the curves really well and steers really well . this gives you confidence in handling the highway curves .
4. i had refuelled the vehicle with speed petrol and the peformance and pick was good , i got a FE of around 15 kmpl with AC on almost 90% of time
5. A/C is a chiller and cools of well .
6. Ride quality on the highway was superb , except for some streches of bad roads however the car is not to blame for bad roads right .
7. high speed braking was great , and the distance to halt is very less from a speed of 50-60 kmph .

Bad points .
1. the car was not able to handle incline slope , we were total 5 people travelling with a little luggage in the boot . i was dissapointed with the incline slope performance of the beat . the lack of power was evident in the 1.2 lt and the engine lacked the power required to negotiate the incline in a refined way .
2. lack of boot space was really evident . we had some luggage while coming back and had a hard time fitting in the luggage bags and mangoes . some luggage was adjusted in the space beneath the codrivers legspace . wish that the beat had a bigger boot , GM get us a new refined version with the customer feedback . i think a carrier would be a good option instead of the JUST for show roof rails . it would be really practical . would check with the showroom if there is any customized option available for beat .

i am sure all the beat owners might have travelled with some boot luggage on incline has anyone faced issues with the lack of power on inclines , is there any special driving way to tackle the same . please let me know .

Old 26th May 2010, 17:00   #956
BHPian

I get 13-14 constantly despite the fuel used! The milage is not varying even after i have started using premium fuels! at least not in the forst tank full! I will give an update after i burn the second tank full.
Old 26th May 2010, 19:34   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vihang15 View Post
hi friends ,

yesterday i went for a self long drive on my beat to my village . here are my observations .

good points .

1. the car feels really safe at high speeds , maneuvering the beat is fun at high speeds .
2. overtaking the trucks and trailers feels safe as the beat has a good road grip . and weight ratio .
3. the vehicle handled the curves really well and steers really well . this gives you confidence in handling the highway curves .
4. i had refuelled the vehicle with speed petrol and the peformance and pick was good , i got a FE of around 15 kmpl with AC on almost 90% of time
5. A/C is a chiller and cools of well .
6. Ride quality on the highway was superb , except for some streches of bad roads however the car is not to blame for bad roads right .
7. high speed braking was great , and the distance to halt is very less from a speed of 50-60 kmph .

Bad points .
1. the car was not able to handle incline slope , we were total 5 people travelling with a little luggage in the boot . i was dissapointed with the incline slope performance of the beat . the lack of power was evident in the 1.2 lt and the engine lacked the power required to negotiate the incline in a refined way .
2. lack of boot space was really evident . we had some luggage while coming back and had a hard time fitting in the luggage bags and mangoes . some luggage was adjusted in the space beneath the codrivers legspace . wish that the beat had a bigger boot , GM get us a new refined version with the customer feedback . i think a carrier would be a good option instead of the JUST for show roof rails . it would be really practical . would check with the showroom if there is any customized option available for beat .

i am sure all the beat owners might have travelled with some boot luggage on incline has anyone faced issues with the lack of power on inclines , is there any special driving way to tackle the same . please let me know .

Check my previous posts, I had a detailed review of how BEAT behaved on the inclines, received a lot of comments as well.

The conclusion - Until we get 2-3 services done, the current pickup won't help on the inclines, wait till you reach 15k on the odometer. Hope it improves after that
Old 26th May 2010, 20:29   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX Overdrive View Post
Check my previous posts, I had a detailed review of how BEAT behaved on the inclines, received a lot of comments as well.

The conclusion - Until we get 2-3 services done, the current pickup won't help on the inclines, wait till you reach 15k on the odometer. Hope it improves after that

i totally agree with u.. when my car was brand new, i used to feel the 2nd gear lag.. but after it has run its course on the kms, the lag seems to go off... on the other hand i got used to the gear pattern of the car and am completely satisfied with the product
Old 26th May 2010, 23:32   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
i totally agree with u.. when my car was brand new, i used to feel the 2nd gear lag.. but after it has run its course on the kms, the lag seems to go off... on the other hand i got used to the gear pattern of the car and am completely satisfied with the product
Its not that your car has improved. Its only you got used to it.
Drive an I10 or ritz and then comment about their responsiveness and pick up. In beat low end torque is quite depressing.

Many people say Beat's handling is good. Grips good. I completely disagree. OK its not as bad as I10. But still nowhere close to figo, punto, polo or swift.

IMO Beat is the king of bad roads. Suspensions are so good (tuned for ride) that you arent at all able to feel how broken the roads are.

Getting FE of 13 in 100% city with 100% AC. Not bad.

Claustrophobic rear not an issue but rear seat thigh support is.

Small boot?? --- Wonder when I last used it.

Still turns maximum heads on road.
Old 27th May 2010, 12:50   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Its not that your car has improved. Its only you got used to it.
Drive an I10 or ritz and then comment about their responsiveness and pick up. In beat low end torque is quite depressing.

Many people say Beat's handling is good. Grips good. I completely disagree. OK its not as bad as I10. But still nowhere close to figo, punto, polo or swift.

IMO Beat is the king of bad roads. Suspensions are so good (tuned for ride) that you arent at all able to feel how broken the roads are.

Getting FE of 13 in 100% city with 100% AC. Not bad.

Claustrophobic rear not an issue but rear seat thigh support is.

Small boot?? --- Wonder when I last used it.

Still turns maximum heads on road.

This is a very subjective topic. I think everybody has his own preferences, low height of Figo, Polo and their engine power might not a good parameter for many. Again contemporary looks compared with show stopper looks of Beat is just one of the few aspects.

But one thing is for sure - NO CAR IS PERFECT. And everybody needs to understand that!! People will find issues with a Ferrari or a Lambo as well, what's the point? Stick with the choice you've made and discuss points how well can we make it a better experience for all the riders.

Cribbing on same points again and again is ruining the whole point of this Forum.

I simply love my BEAT, will try to make it a lot better with a few enhancements discussed here among us, looking forward for more 'tips' than the repeated 'cribs'...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks