Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2010, 22:46   #1156
BHPian

@webadi - congrats, and welcome to the BEAT club! The numbers are growing these days of the (especially cocktail green) BEAT!

BTW, can you share details on your alloys? A separate thread with your ownership review would be great!

Last edited by quadmaniac : 6th July 2010 at 22:52.
Old 6th July 2010, 22:54   #1157
BHPian

Guys have you observed that when you reduce the volume on the head unit from 15 to 14, the bass increases one notch upwards and vice versa.

Its a neat feature of keeping the balance of Bass along with the volume level. Clever thinking I say!
Old 7th July 2010, 08:32   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Guys have you observed that when you reduce the volume on the head unit from 15 to 14, the bass increases one notch upwards and vice versa.
Its a neat feature of keeping the balance of Bass along with the volume level. Clever thinking I say!
Is it so?
I was not aware of this logic.
Thanks for the info.
Old 7th July 2010, 15:34   #1159
vihang15

Quote:
Originally Posted by webadi27 View Post
Hi All

I am new to this forum and also a proud owner of a shiny new Chevy Beat LT! Have been driving it around for two weeks now and have uploaded some pics. I got the alloys from GM itself.

I am yet to take it for an easy spin, but the ride till now has been strictly "Mumbai" Bumper2Bumper. I would be lucky to shift to third gear. Only twice, I have been able to shift to fourth and reached around 60 kmph. Its too soon to judge mileage, but preliminary observations revolve around 11 kmpl. Can someone with same driving experience share their mileage numbers? I have been using BP Speed petrol till now, as the pump is closest to my place.

Comments??

hi webadi ,

welcome to the beat club .

in mumbai b2b , i think we should forget about mileage , and worry of how we can get our car out stratch free .

yes but it you take the beat to neat highways and drive at 4th-5th gear , below 80 . you should definately get 15-16 kmpl . again remeber to keep the rev band between 2500-3000 rpm for each gear as this is the sweet spot of beat where the engine doesnt feel laboured .

enjoy your ride on your new baby , and drive safe .

Old 7th July 2010, 15:54   #1160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vihang15 View Post
again remeber to keep the rev band between 2500-3000 rpm for each gear as this is the sweet spot of beat where the engine doesnt feel laboured .
Actually I've been wanting to ask this. What is the best rev band for the BEAT? I found no mention of this on the manual.

Generally I think 1.5-2k is good, but some others think 2.5-3 is good. Any clues anyone?
Old 7th July 2010, 16:15   #1161
BHPian

I am trying to drive my Beat in a rev band of 1.5 - 2.5K would post FE on my review possibly by end of this week
Old 7th July 2010, 17:19   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
Actually I've been wanting to ask this. What is the best rev band for the BEAT? I found no mention of this on the manual.
Generally I think 1.5-2k is good, but some others think 2.5-3 is good. Any clues anyone?
I agree with you.
For better FE, 1.5-2.5k range is good.
Most of the time I am driving in this rpm range. I rev high only when required like in gradients or sometimes aggressive driving.
What I could understand from my experience is that the speed range of 70-100kmph in highway gives the best FE.
My avg FE is 15kmpl (detailed calculation in my ownership thread).
Old 7th July 2010, 18:03   #1163
vihang15

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post

i found that the beat comes to life at 2.5-3 k RPM , where the torque level is good without any engine growl at any given gear .

for example , i have found the following RPM/speed levels for each gear on the beat . at this level torque is good and engine noise is minimum .

1st gear - around 2k RPM - 0-10-20 km/hr
2ndgear - around 2.5k RPM - 20-40 km/hr
3rdgear - around 2.5k - 3k RPM 50-70 km/hr
4th gear - around 2.5k - 3k Rpm 70-90 km/hr
5th gear - around 3k RPM - Speeds above 90 km/hr

please add up if you have found any difference with your vehicle .

Old 8th July 2010, 08:42   #1164
BHPian

I have been always driving between 1.5-2.5k RPM. My last checked mileage was 14.2 kmpl. I am using 5th gear more frequently.

I am really happy that the figures are improving on the same road I travel daily. Initially got 11 then 13 and now 14. My driving have improved a lot these days (I just have 2000km driving experience).

I am always using 32psi.
Old 8th July 2010, 08:53   #1165

@quadmaniac
Sure, I would be posting a separate ownership thread soon. As regards the alloys, they are Neo-Venom (Black finished). Got them at 16K from the showroom itself (Ashtavinayak Auto). Plus I got keyless entry from Autocop at 3.8K. I know they sell for cheaper at any accessories shop but for these two things I didnt want to take any chances.

Freebies: Floor Mat, Mud-flaps, mini-USB to USB convertor cable, car perfume and mobile charger.

Accessories I got done from my friendly accessories shop:

Sunfilm - Rs. 1200

Seatcovers - Rs. 2800

Antirust coating (black on car bottom, transparent on doors and boot) - Rs. 1600
Old 8th July 2010, 08:59   #1166

@vihang15
I agree completely with you about getting the car out scratch free. Last couple of weekends have been hectic on the social end, so planning to take the beat for a pampered ride this weekend.
As regards the rev numbers, I was strictly following the rules in the thread: "How to run-in your new car". Based on that, I keep the rev to max 2K. Rarely it goes to 2.5K in unavoidable conditions. But still 2K seems a bit low for me too as the car reaches that rev in no time when in first gear. Any suggestions on improving mileage. Will using normal unleaded petrol help? I read somewhere in the previous posts that IOC Xtra Premium gives best mileage.

Please advise.
Old 8th July 2010, 14:01   #1167
vihang15

Quote:
Originally Posted by webadi27 View Post
@vihang15
Will using normal unleaded petrol help? I read somewhere in the previous posts that IOC Xtra Premium gives best mileage.

Please advise.
i used speed petrol for highway drives to my native place , i got around 16-17 kmpl . the user manual does recommend high RON content of 90 for the beat . hence might be it should help improve on the mileage .

but mileage should depend on lots of other factors like driving style ,tyre air pressure , environmental conditions , vehicle load etc and i would not recommend it for B2B driving .

Also one more factor is additives in the speed/xtra premium are not recommended for a new engine . you may try using it more frequently after 1st servicing or 5000 kms .

i have heard that after a 5000 kms running period the engine gets better and gives more mileage and improves the pickup .

Old 8th July 2010, 18:24   #1168
vihang15

Equipments/accesories for my beat

hi friends ,

i am planning the following equipments/accesories for my chevy beat LS . please suggest the best options and pricing if you have an idea or you have installed the same in your vehicle .

1. front fog lamps - to improve the visibility in rains .
2. head unit with bluetooth - for handsfree talk .
3. weather gaurds - for keeping the windows open in rains .
4. seat covers - PU leather - similar to Nissan 370Z interior color
5. reverse parking sensors - xenoss or other .

do suggest me your views on the same .

Old 9th July 2010, 00:06   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlaw View Post
I have been always driving between 1.5-2.5k RPM. My last checked mileage was 14.2 kmpl. I am using 5th gear more frequently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
I agree with you.
Please mention whether its AC on or AC off.
Also City/cighway.
Or else FE does not hjave any value.

I am getting 12 in city. (100% AC)
16.5 in Highway (100% AC)
Driving style moderate..1500-3000 RPM..Max 3500
Old 9th July 2010, 11:42   #1170
BHPian

The more speed more air resistance and low fuel economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
I agree with you.
For better FE, 1.5-2.5k range is good.
Most of the time I am driving in this rpm range. I rev high only when required like in gradients or sometimes aggressive driving.
What I could understand from my experience is that the speed range of 70-100kmph in highway gives the best FE.
Hi, Am Sajan, a newbie to this forum, but a very close chaser of this Beat ownership thread since its launch. I bought my Beat by end of Feb and done hardly 2.6K till date as am using it as a family car for regular commuting I use my bike.

U guys are giving a very impressive figures in FE where as am getting only 12-13 avg by full tank to full tank as advised here. I tried both the ordinary and the premium petrol but never felt any change in figures as well as in performace, may be am so weak in figuring out these.

After reading your post, stating that 75-100 km/hr will gives the optimum, is that correct if then the co's will give these in the owners manual to help us to extract the max kms per litre. And as per science, the more speed the air resistance increases and there by engine consumes more fuel to maintain the speed. I think thats why we should be in a balance in terms of speed as well as the economy to take the full benefit out of every drop of fuel right? That is 50-70 range. Pls clarify.

Most Viewed