Team-BHP - Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/71073-chevrolet-beat-test-drive-review-8.html)

@ GTO
Excellent review!

Beat will stand out from the crowd of small hatches. Interiors are uber cool.
I thought that Beat would replace Spark. Elsewhere, Beat is 2011 Spark.

What I liked (from the review):
FE,
Cool interiors, fairly practical,
Supportive and comfortable front seats,
Build,
Styling,
Decent ride,
Distinctive rear door handles (like Alfa Romeos / Nissan Pathfinder etc)
Warranty package.

What I did not like (from the review):
Lack of height adjustable driver seat (A must at least in top variant),
Rear bench seats,
Small boot,
Not so refined engine at high revs,
ICE (front (4"?) speakers throw towards windsheild), limited upgrade,
Rear visibility, especially the rear corner. (but those who drive Alto will not face any problem).
Under tyred.

What I can live with - giving any racing genes in me a high dose of sedative (from the review):
Ok handling,
No redline in tacho (may be Beat is not meant to be redlined),
Gear shifts.

OT: Steel wheels in base model.
Same treatment was done for 2004 Civic Exi (Pic for illustrative purpose)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1621082)
Disclaimer : GM invited Team-BHP for the Beat test drive.

Congrats!
Manufacturers definitely have considered Tbhp seriously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippy (Post 1622661)
I really liked the new age instrument cluster on the Beat, a refreshing change from what you see in any other car. I feel this most funky looking cluster in any Indian car along with the Civic.

Truly. Not only is the cluster nice to look at, even the dashboard design is pretty sweet. With no compromise on functionality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore (Post 1622748)
can i know if immobiliser is available in Beat?

Can check and update.

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 1622855)
As far as I know, the i10 Kappa 1.2 weighs in at more than 950 kgs. Not much off Beat I suppose.

Thanks for the correction. Any links to the i10s kerb weights? Don't see it on the hyundai website.

Does the central console incorporating the A/C and the music system have mock carbon fibre inserts on the higher variants? Or does it have the same material as on the rest of the dash?

That was an awesome extensive review !!

1. Speedometer looks very trendy and fashionable
2. The car looks big from the front (In the pics atleast - dont know how it will look on road)
3. I actually like the rear-windows. They are small but looks sporty and different.

Excellent review indeed, GTO. I think it will be the best looking hatch in the market when it is launched. GM has been an underdog for a while in spite of making good cars while MUL, Tata and Hyundai cornered the hatch market. About time GM got its share of the market, too. The only fly in the ointment seems to be GM's inclination to launch a 3-pot diesel engine. 3-pot engines are notorious for vibrations and harshness ( remember Accent CRDis?). GM should go for a 4-pot. As for Beat's looks, only Swift can come close. i10 is just no match for Beat as far as looks go. Speaking of i10, wonder why people buy i10s. I find santro a lot better looking, peppier and roomier. Once again great reviw GTO and I am sure Beat will stir market up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgsagar (Post 1623606)
Speaking of i10, wonder why people buy i10s. I find santro a lot better looking, peppier and roomier.

:) well, if people are buying them - something must be right about them !

Excellent review as usual, thanks GTO

GTO, superb and very detailed review - as usual. Are the car mag's knocking at your door yet?? Thanks for the time you guys (mods) take out to do these reviews.

My guess is that this could be a hit with the college and singles purely on its offbeat looks - inside and outside. But its truly a like it or hate it kind of design.

Great review GTO. As usual - another 5 star review - and i have rated.

So Beat's here. Polo,Figo and Micra are left pending. It would be fun times in 2010.

Excellent detailed review, GTO.:thumbs up
In my opinion, A-Star has a competitor now. Good for singles/couples.
But do not understand why these manufacturers think by having a trendy speedometer or odometer different from other cars would sell their car.
I am sure Maruti would dole out lot of offers once beat is on the road. lol:

What an ugly car!, it makes dzire look beautiful. Looks like a jigsaw puzzle completed.
Coming after the cute matiz and spark, it is a shocker.
Excellent review GTO. You set the standards for Team BHP. Inspired by your meticulousness and dedication.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackasta (Post 1623615)
:) well, if people are buying them - something must be right about them !

Well... aptly put, this is quite the herd mentality which an indian customer follows why he chooses even and indica-v2 petrol over an i10 or A-Star.

I expect the TBHP to be an opinion-maker and not the follower....and thats what this review has done by being original and detailed.

Congrats GTO for such a detailed review...better than any other review available at this point in time clap:

@GTO, what did you think about the visibility from the driver's seat?

The reason I ask this question is:

a. The A-Pillar broadens at the bottom and in one of the interior pics (your 4th post, 1st pic) gives an impression that there might be a significant blind spot.

b. I found the rear windscreen to be shockingly small. Look at the picture with a straight view of the backside, the "aperture" for rear visibility seems really small. They have tried to cover it up by blacking out the edges.

Fantastic review GTO. keep it up was looking forward for this for long. Cheers.

Firstly, thanks for the 5 star rating guys. I'm glad you found this review fitting to our quality standards.

Second, based on your posts, I've added another point to what you won't like (at the start of the review):

Quote:

• Unconventional styling isn't to everyone's taste
Quote:

Originally Posted by auto-one (Post 1623108)
Does the central console incorporating the A/C and the music system have mock carbon fibre inserts on the higher variants?

No, there aren't any mock carbon fiber (great idea BTW).

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgsagar (Post 1623606)
The only fly in the ointment seems to be GM's inclination to launch a 3-pot diesel engine. 3-pot engines are notorious for vibrations and harshness

Not only GM, I believe Hyundai is also launching an i10 3 cylinder diesel. 3 cylinders are pretty fuel efficient though.

Quote:

Speaking of i10, wonder why people buy i10s.
The i10 is one of my personally most recommended hatchbacks. And with good reason:

1. Excellent interiors.
2. Superb fit & finish. A high quality hatch.
3. Light and nippy to drive in the city.
4. Refinement.
5. Automatic available.
6. Hyundai's after-sales.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomzi (Post 1623682)
Thanks for the time you guys (mods) take out to do these reviews.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Blue (Post 1623941)
Excellent review GTO. You set the standards for Team BHP. Inspired by your meticulousness and dedication.

Thanks for your consideration. Yes, the biggest cost of these reviews is the time we invest into TD'ing & compiling the data.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyWalker (Post 1623789)
So Beat's here. Polo,Figo and Micra are left pending. It would be fun times in 2010.

Aha, how could we leave out the Micra in the posts where we spoke of soon-to-come launches! Japs (including Nissan) are the masters of compact hatchbacks. The biggest challenge to the Polo & Micra will be their scarce dealer network.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk_sans (Post 1623799)
But do not understand why these manufacturers think by having a trendy speedometer or odometer different from other cars would sell their car.

All about differentiation. And when you get a stylish alternative that also works well, whats not to like?

Quote:

Originally Posted by anu21v (Post 1624128)
better than any other review available at this point in time clap:

We do intend to keep it that way :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amartya (Post 1624226)
@GTO, what did you think about the visibility from the driver's seat?

- Front and side visibility is just like any other modern hatch. Thick A pillars are now the norm (safety standards).

- Rear visibility is below average.

- Have my doubts on how shorter drivers will manage with a high dashboard + non-height adjustable seat.