Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2010, 15:18   #1411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaprime1509 View Post
This is not true. You see there are a number of variables that control the mileage of a car, Engine rev, AC, load, driving habits are some of them. As a blanket statement your mileage with 100% AC on should not vary more than + or - 2km of the base mileage of your car. So if the mileage of your car is say 16 km without AC then with 100% AC you shouldn't be getting less than 13.5 to 14 KMPL. If its less than that then there are other variables you should consider. What kind of a driver are you? Do you waste a lot of engine revs by over clutching or under clutching? Do you rev hard? do you do lot of idling? are you traveling short distances or do you "flame out" (turn off) the engine before it reaches optimum opertating temp? If your answer to these questions is yes, then you know who to blame.

From my experience on the Beat which has currently run for 8000+ kms and 90% AC on it is no longer a "new car" and I consistently get a mileage of 14 to 15KMPL. IF you are revving more than necessary and your AC is always on then it is wrong to expect high mileage figures. Its a car and so the more you tax it the more it will drink. I would say, there is a way/skill/art to obtain the best mileage from your car. I usually dont tax the car too much on lower gears and climb to higher gears as fast as possible(situation and drive permitting). It is also no use looking at the rpm and then changing gears. No experience driver would do that. You need to tune your skills and be in sync with the engine in such a manner that you up shift or down shift at the exact point where a change is required. If you shift too late you will over rev resulting in more fuel intake, if you shift to early then you disrupt the gear cycle of the car or will cause some knocking if you are too slow at a higher gear. The key point here is to be at the right gear at the right speed.

Lastly, a note to those so called "enthusiastic drivers" - please understand that this is not a high performance car. Its simply a well designed city car meant to take you from point a to point b in comfort and in one piece. A fast or enuthusiastic driver does not make a good driver(This is not my personal view). By being over enthusiastic not only are you taxing the car but also creating unnecessary risk. If you are a speed freak then please hit the race track with a car that is designed for such use. I am positive that if the above factors are taken into account it will ensure long life of the cars engine and also be lighter on the pocket by guzzling less fuel (which is not getting cheaper).

Drive safe and stay cool
Cheers!
Point well made and noted alphaprime. But by 'enthusiastic' i didnt mean Racing frequently or dangerous driving. i just milk the best the car can give me .... and i must be doing something right i guess. I mean i AM getting good FE and i know i love and take good care of my car. I care and love for my car and my life so much that i never ever drive unsafe or dangerously. there's a thin line between being enthusiastic and being dangerous/rash....and i know never to cross that line. But still , Point Noted. Will help me in the long run.
Old 7th September 2010, 16:08   #1412
BHPian

Just read the OVERDRIVE sep '10 issue Mega small car shootout. The Beat is ranked really low . I dont agree with many of the points, But whats the use. Its a personal opinion. For example they say "The lack of bottle holders and large glove box" is a glitch and ranked it below Micra which has smaller bottle holders i guess. Has anyone read that complete shootout....it's precisely that. Except for looks and a couple of other things, They've "SHOT out" the Beat. Funny how they ranked it higher than i10/wagon R etc in previous comparos and now it suddenly finds itself in the bottom half below the same cars.
The only diff is that this review is by novices...no expert opinions there.
Old 7th September 2010, 17:00   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatverma1979 View Post
Just read the OVERDRIVE sep '10 issue Mega small car shootout. The Beat is ranked really low . I dont agree with many of the points, But whats the use. Its a personal opinion. For example they say "The lack of bottle holders and large glove box" is a glitch and ranked it below Micra which has smaller bottle holders i guess. Has anyone read that complete shootout....it's precisely that. Except for looks and a couple of other things, They've "SHOT out" the Beat. Funny how they ranked it higher than i10/wagon R etc in previous comparos and now it suddenly finds itself in the bottom half below the same cars.
The only diff is that this review is by novices...no expert opinions there.
Honestly I do not believe or rely on such reviews. A review must be something like what GTO's put in here, no nonsense and all the facts at your feet, like it or not.
Old 7th September 2010, 19:09   #1414
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Honestly I do not believe or rely on such reviews. A review must be something like what GTO's put in here, no nonsense and all the facts at your feet, like it or not.
+1 to that. After I came to know TBHP, I have stopped reading all other auto magazines. In my opinion, it is a one stop pit for everything automobiles.
Old 8th September 2010, 14:53   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
+1 to that. After I came to know TBHP, I have stopped reading all other auto magazines. In my opinion, it is a one stop pit for everything automobiles.
Very true, GTO's reviews are factual and covers all the positives and negatives of a car. I too do not believe on auto magazine's reviews.
Old 12th September 2010, 20:28   #1416

does the mileage improve after the first service (the one with the oil change and all) ?
Old 13th September 2010, 11:56   #1417
Senior - BHPian

@ v1kra9 First service is a mere checkup. We have to wait till second service for oil change/top up and all.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 13th September 2010, 12:42   #1418

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
@ v1kra9 First service is a mere checkup. We have to wait till second service for oil change/top up and all.

Cheers!

Vinu
I know about the re - assurance bit . I was talking about the the second service (which technically IS the first service)

My dealer told me that i will get 10 - 12 kmpl until the oil change .... after which it will improve to 15- 16 kmpl.

Is it true ?

I drive carefully and do not overspeed ...

Plus the mileage I am getting is 10 - 12 kmpl . when everybody here seems to be getting upto 18 !!!

Worried :(
Old 13th September 2010, 14:02   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kra9 View Post
I know about the re - assurance bit . I was talking about the the second service (which technically IS the first service)

My dealer told me that i will get 10 - 12 kmpl until the oil change .... after which it will improve to 15- 16 kmpl.

Is it true ?

I drive carefully and do not overspeed ...

Plus the mileage I am getting is 10 - 12 kmpl . when everybody here seems to be getting upto 18 !!!

Worried :(
Firstly GM is not suggesting any oil changes till you clock 15K Kms/2nd year. Its at the owners request they are changing oil as an additional safety measure to take care of your car.

After assurance check up, the first service is due on 5K kms/6 months and there too no replacements as per GM's schedule except some air cleaner/brake/power steering/wind shield washer/coolant fluid top ups and some fine tunings. I've paid only 170/- for the greasing and some misc items which I don't remember correctly.

No one's claiming for a figure of 18kpl but there are some smart drivers getting 17 at their best. But dont worry, you are not the only person getting this magic 12 after completing the 2nd service and the latest ECU remapping too am getting an average of 12-13 kpl in mixed conditions. I think in city drives you cant expect more than this.
Old 13th September 2010, 15:17   #1420
Senior - BHPian

In b2b terrible traffic I am getting something between 11 and 12. Tried everything, but not more than 12. But in highway it manages 15 to 16 easily (all figures are with 100% AC and solo drive) Odo reads 2570KMs.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 13th September 2010, 22:47   #1421
BHPian

Guys, a question to you. My beat has just covered 1k kms in 7 months. Do you think I should send it in for the first 6 months/5k kms service right now?

Or is it wiser to wait a little longer and send when I am at 2k or something (which might take another 3 months, since my office commute is hardly 13kms to-fro)
Old 14th September 2010, 07:30   #1422
Senior - BHPian

No!

Send it across right now. Time plays a factor in the quality of fluids. Get the free service done, some service centers create issues later.
Old 14th September 2010, 09:49   #1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
Guys, a question to you. My beat has just covered 1k kms in 7 months. Do you think I should send it in for the first 6 months/5k kms service right now?

Or is it wiser to wait a little longer and send when I am at 2k or something (which might take another 3 months, since my office commute is hardly 13kms to-fro)
@Quad - AS per GM guidelines you should send in your car for service if it has clocked 5K kms OR 6 months which ever is earlier. If you do not avail this free service the service center folks will disregard your second service. Then it either becomes a paid service or they straight away ask you to come for the 3rd service. So if your car has clocked less kms on the ODO but has reached the 6 month stage then without doubt give it in for service.
Old 14th September 2010, 10:09   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaprime1509 View Post
@Quad - AS per GM guidelines you should send in your car for service if it has clocked 5K kms OR 6 months which ever is earlier. If you do not avail this free service the service center folks will disregard your second service. Then it either becomes a paid service or they straight away ask you to come for the 3rd service. So if your car has clocked less kms on the ODO but has reached the 6 month stage then without doubt give it in for service.
Right, when my car was due for the 6th month service it clocked only 2.5K and I was told that the same reasons you have stated earlier. But for a proper tuning and better FE, the car has to clock near to specified ode reading at the time of each service.

+1 to EssYouVee, it plays a vital role especially engine oil and brake/power steering fluids.
Old 16th September 2010, 18:19   #1425
BHPian

My Windscreen Cracked, Darn It!!!

I had parked the car under a tree and it must have been my bad luck, a piece of the tree branch broke and fell on the windscreen. The crack is pretty long. Even though it might have been the impact that caused the crack, I seriously doubt the quality of the windscreen. What do you guys think?

How much will it cost to change the windscreen and is it possible to claim insurance for it? Any idea guys?
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-photo0318.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-photo0319.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-photo0320.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks