Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2009, 17:40   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Truly. Not only is the cluster nice to look at, even the dashboard design is pretty sweet. With no compromise on functionality.

Can check and update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya
@GTO, what did you think about the visibility from the driver's seat?

Thanks for the correction. Any links to the i10s kerb weights? Don't see it on the hyundai website.
Well i hate to post an outside but surprisingly since i couldn't find anything in the T-BHP or hyundai website i have to post this link

Maruti Suzuki A Star vs Hyundai i10 | India.com

Although a comparison between i10 and A* but nonethless very clearly mentions 952KG. Si I guess Amartya might be right on this count. From My perspective the difference could be the Engine and associated items weight for 1.1 IRDE and 1.2 Kappa.
Old 9th December 2009, 17:42   #137
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
@GTO-- how would you rate the engine? vis a vis with the Ritz's 1.2K series?
My vote goes to the Ritz 1.2 liter petrol. Simply an all rounder of an engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
By that you mean lousy?!
Nope, Sawyer, not at all lousy. Consider this picture:

It's a thicker A Pillar than say, the Maruti Zen of yesteryear, but NOT something I'd call lousy / a deal breaker at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Volvo (number 1 in terms of safety at that point of time) showcased a concept where it had a transparent section (naturally reinforced though) in the A-pillar. Although stylistically is wasn't great, but the concept was neat.
Related Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Find it quite amusing since beige dahboard to me seems a huge problem to the drivers,
Hey, I'm a beige fan . Of course, there are many who prefer grey over beige, but it'd be nice to have a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post
Looking at the Cruze pricing, I'm sure they will.
+1 to that. I expect the pricing to be VERY competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I think the blind spot issue is not that big deal. If people can drive the Civic, the Linea and the old NHC which had the front quarter glass then the Beat should not be a problem at all.
True. Its not a big deal at all. In fact, through the entire drive, I didn't even notice it. Else, it would be a part of my notes.
Old 9th December 2009, 18:19   #138
Senior - BHPian

Finally a car which can take head on with i10 and Ritz. Somehow I liked its front stance, seems very aggressive. The color illumination at nigh in the dash is cool. Lets see how GM prices this thing. IMO the rear door handle is awkwardly placed.

@ GTO: Did you face any problem by the rear door handles?
Old 9th December 2009, 19:50   #139
BHPian

Quote:
For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would give the less popular connector!

GTO, as far as i know, mobile phones are gonna switch to mini usb port! most of the new mobile models have already switched to mini usb. so they(chevrolet) are thinking of the future in mind! also the car is kinda futuristic. you can easily get a small attachment which converts USB to mini usb. not a big deal i think!

*i watched some video review by auto-car and they said the car has in dash 6 CD changer. can u confirm it GTO?

*what spec tyres would be suitable for this car when u have to upgrade it? (looks and grip in mind)

*At the euro NCAP it just got 4 stars in rating, should we worry about that or its okay for small cars to get 4 stars??
, but why can they TRANSFORM THE SRV, give it a face lift, aggressive looks,new features!! no better yet, bring the Cruze hatchback and position it there or you know!!

do something about it CHEVY what do ya say folks!?
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-00b417bace8ad2189a28db51d76b6f89.jpg  

Last edited by Caramelo : 9th December 2009 at 20:06.
Old 9th December 2009, 20:18   #140
~~h
BHPian

The best thing about Beat it is very very close to the concept shown... In fact this is the closest I have seen for a mass production car.
Old 9th December 2009, 22:25   #141
BHPian

Quote:

Related Thread

Hey, I'm a beige fan . Of course, there are many who prefer grey over beige, but it'd be nice to have a choice.
For my wife and me, a beige dashboard is a strict No-No. For our two-year-old daughter, the dashboard is her footrest. Thankfully, our Alto LXI has the traditional dark gray dashboard or else, a beige dashboard on the left hand side of our car would have become dark brown by now (thanks to all those little shoe marks).

Regards,
Melvyn
Old 9th December 2009, 22:44   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
no better yet, bring the Cruze hatchback and position it there or you know!!

do something about it CHEVY what do ya say folks!?
It just won't sell and they know it. Same reason why we don't have the A-Class or the Subaru Impreza and many more such fine cars.
Old 9th December 2009, 23:43   #143
BHPian

Quote:

I know there are lot of people who are beige fan and even i used to like it, till the time this paint-everything-beige-rush came.

My question was whether having a beige dashboard really pose a potential threat in form of reflections etc to drivers, like i feel, or am I being plain paranoid.

Something tells me there is more than what meets the eye.... maruti could have done a beige on A-Star and Ritz, considering the time gap between i10 and these two launches, whilst there was a good latent demand of beige. And i am sure, its not that tough to design a beige theme (Maruti has some bit of it on Estilo). But they still didn't go for it on their newer models. Can't really fathom the reasoning.
Old 10th December 2009, 00:24   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

@GTO: Is this the picture of the the variant with Airbags? I am talking about the the one in the steering pic.
Old 10th December 2009, 10:26   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My vote goes to the Ritz 1.2 liter petrol. Simply an all rounder of an engine.

Thanks, it seems i'l have to wait for the Swift's 1.2,

can't we edit/delete our posts?(as i came to the aspect later that you had answered this query earlier too)
Old 10th December 2009, 13:19   #146
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Finally a car which can take head on with i10 and Ritz. Somehow I liked its front stance, seems very aggressive. The color illumination at nigh in the dash is cool. Lets see how GM prices this thing.
Truly. The styling is its differentiator, and the 2010 diesel engine will be a competitive advantage (especially if priced well).

Quote:
@ GTO: Did you face any problem by the rear door handles?
Nope, absolutely zero problems. They are surprisingly nice to use. I have to admit, for all the radical styling, the Beat is a practical hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
GTO, as far as i know, mobile phones are gonna switch to mini usb port! most of the new mobile models have already switched to mini usb. so they(chevrolet) are thinking of the future in mind! also the car is kinda futuristic. you can easily get a small attachment which converts USB to mini usb. not a big deal i think!
Thanks for the clarification!

Quote:
i watched some video review by auto-car and they said the car has in dash 6 CD changer. can u confirm it GTO?
Sorry, I didn't expect it and thus, didn't check it. We'll have to wait for the official launch to know the exact trim levels.

Quote:
what spec tyres would be suitable for this car when u have to upgrade it? (looks and grip in mind)
Do look up an earlier post by Nikhil in this thread itself.

Quote:
At the euro NCAP it just got 4 stars in rating, should we worry about that or its okay for small cars to get 4 stars??
I'd say the safety standards are on par with the Ritz & i10.

Quote:
, but why can they TRANSFORM THE SRV, give it a face lift, aggressive looks,new features!! no better yet, bring the Cruze hatchback and position it there or you know!!
After the SRV incident? You gotta be kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~h View Post
The best thing about Beat it is very very close to the concept shown... In fact this is the closest I have seen for a mass production car.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
I know there are lot of people who are beige fan and even i used to like it, till the time this paint-everything-beige-rush came.

My question was whether having a beige dashboard really pose a potential threat in form of reflections etc to drivers, like i feel, or am I being plain paranoid.
Driving a beige interior car for 65,000 kms. No problems yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
@GTO: Is this the picture of the the variant with Airbags? I am talking about the the one in the steering pic.
Nope, the steering picture is from a lower variant. Look up the other interior pictures, you'll see a clear "airbags" badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
can't we edit/delete our posts?(as i came to the aspect later that you had answered this query earlier too)
The FAQ & announcements sections are your best friends
Old 10th December 2009, 13:24   #147

Good review there GTO. I enjoyed reading it

Someone was talking about fancy looking pressed steel wheels on cars in India. Maruti Suzuki had a special edition of the the Esteem (In 2002 - 2003 I think) called the Velocity which came with fancy looking pressed steel wheels (that were almost alloy-like in looks) and came with 175/70 section rubber as well as silver bits on the interior and aluminum look pedals. I haven't been able to find a picture to put up yet, but I do remember writing about it back then.
Old 10th December 2009, 22:28   #148
BHPian

I love the bold front grille! very cruze-like. But doesn't the C-pillar appear too thick, and the rear appears more cramped than the swift at first glance. Still need to sit in one. But its stylish all right!!
Old 10th December 2009, 22:36   #149
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick99 View Post
Someone was talking about fancy looking pressed steel wheels on cars in India. Maruti Suzuki had a special edition of the the Esteem (In 2002 - 2003 I think) called the Velocity which came with fancy looking pressed steel wheels (that were almost alloy-like in looks) and came with 175/70 section rubber
No kidding, just did a google and first match brought me back home : here. Apparently a 91 BHP output?

Either ways, these kind of steel pressed wheels look far better than the regular fare that base variants come with.
Old 10th December 2009, 22:44   #150
BHPian

Nice Car and great review GTO! You have become the arch nemesis of auto mags!! I really appreciate the fact that Indian market is now getting radically designed cars (beat, ritz, a-star etc) instead of the usual bland and boring fare.

I love this car's looks esp. the rear.
The only niggles that bothers me are the claustrophobic back seats, ICE-unfriendliness and the smallish boot. Otherwise its a good car I guess.

I'm guessing something like this can solve the usb problem? Still, it might look tacky with it sticking out of the dash
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-usbfemaletominiusbmale5pin.jpg  

Most Viewed