Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:08   #526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azharace View Post
Hey everybody. I got my alloys done last wednesday.
MOMO Corse 14" alloys with Continental CEC3 165/65 R14.
The car is looking hot now after doing the wheels
Check out the pics on the alloy wheels show off thread.
Will be ICEing the car this weekend
Congrats azharace!
Your car looks great with the MOMOs.
Nice selection.
I was eagerly waiting for an update on Beat alloys in Team-BHP.
BTW how much did you spent for the Tyres and Alloys?
Please do post more on your ownership experience.
Wish you a wonderful and safe driving on your Beat.
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:09   #527
BANNED

Hi.. I have a Chevy Beat i picked up a couple of weeks ago.. I also have the same problem.. the rear dampers make a 'thud' sound on potholes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by azharace View Post
Hey everybody. I got my alloys done last wednesday.
MOMO Corse 14" alloys with Continental CEC3 165/65 R14.
The car is looking hot now after doing the wheels
Check out the pics on the alloy wheels show off thread.
Will be ICEing the car this weekend
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1759432

The drive is really smooth and the steering feels really nice and weighted. Everything that GTO and the other members said about the car is completely true.Its the same extremely silent engine, great road presence inspite of being a small car. The front of the car and the high dashboard give u a nice feel. FE figures i'll come up with soon. The only thing i've noticed in the car is this sound i get when the rear tyres go into potholes. It was there even wit stock tyres and rims so its not because of the tyre upgrade. Is anyone else hearing this sound??
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:11   #528
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Yup drumming sound was there from the rear even during my TD. Looks to be the rear suspension.
is it a serious problem? or something we have to get used to..?
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:15   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyf16 View Post
Ever since then, I've stopped babying the car and just started driving it normally (still not going over 5k) but its a completely different driving experience. Everything just works in tandem.
Thats nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyf16 View Post
Also, did you know the ECM resets itself after every 20km to adjust the way it runs depending on usage?
The ECM might reset after every 20KM but I seriously doubt whether it can adjust depending on the way it runs. ECU's are programmed and calibrated with certain fixed values and parameters. Ecu cant change these values automatically. We don't have intelligent ECUs.
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:28   #530
BHPian

drumming sound id from the rear shockers and it bothers a lot when the road is bad. I wish they had covered the shockers that could have reduced the noise.
Old 2nd March 2010, 17:43   #531

@gemithomas and salbin
Thanx guys ! The car is a real head turner with the alloys.
Yes the beat is 100 pcd. I didn't really check for offset or anything
The alloys cost me 21k for a set of 4. Tyres were 3400 per tyre and the dealer bought back my OEM tyres for 1500 each.
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:26   #532
BHPian

GM India’s Feb sales at all-time high
ndtv profit link: GM India?s Feb sales at all-time high - NDTV Profit
The news of production ramp-up this month is a good news for those who booked and waiting for Beat.
Almost all the automobile companies also registered all time high sales in feb '10.
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:42   #533
BHPian

All this is appreciated but where do the produced cars go? I have booked mine on the 20th of January with Frontline Automobiles, Mangalore and the dealer themselves are impatient about arrivals of the fleet of Beats. Customers who have booked since long are getting impatient and a few of them have already cancelled orders.

I called them up today even and they say that though the demand is high for LT, they have received more of LS cars. Is this true in other parts of India? How long have you guys waited/waiting for the arrival of your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
GM India’s Feb sales at all-time high
ndtv profit link: GM India?s Feb sales at all-time high - NDTV Profit
The news of production ramp-up this month is a good news for those who booked and waiting for Beat.
Almost all the automobile companies also registered all time high sales in feb '10.
Old 2nd March 2010, 23:25   #534
BHPian

Saw a new BEAT with a good set of alloys . Take a look. Srry for the low quality. Took with my cell and it was dark. Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-moto_0055.jpgChevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-moto_0057.jpg
Old 3rd March 2010, 01:31   #535
BHPian

Review after the First 1000kms on Beat LT

Alright,
well well, I am back after a one shot 1000kms of beat, just in 24hours. Of course with some more stuff to share. But before that, I still suggest you guys to get a 3.5mm plug for the AUX of the Music system of Beat LT. very very cheap & easy to use. Nowadays, most of the cell-phone comes with Standard 3.5mm jack for audio. It will just cost around 10-20Rs. It doesnt spoil the looks of the dash & stays really cool at cell-pocket under the dash.

So, here are some soft-hard facts. First I will share some good things:

1.The lights, they are cool & very powerful & spreads well on the road. Fog lamps are very useful. We started at 6am, so I got the chance to experiment with fog lamps. There is an intelligent thing someone mentioned earlier that the Speedometer & odometer's lights go dim when you switch on the Headlights & other lights.

2. The Steering, really cool to hold, my average speed was 100KMH & highest was 140KMH. I could literally leave it at 140(just to check for some moments) & I was really astonished with the experience, it was still totally stable & there was NO VIBRATION at all. Amazing.

3. The boot space has been criticized a lot but it was sufficient for 4 persons of happy family, I have got 2 kind. We had to fill 4 mid-sized bags & some other polythene bags & some toys.besides the Boot, there are many storing areas, see the little box under the front seat. SURPRISE!

4. I must mention the Brakes. I have driven most of the cars of this segment. But the softest yet very powerful breaks are here with the BEAT. Excellent braking. If we use it properly, it will respond really really soft & smooth.

5. Overall control of the car at high speeds. None would really recommend us to drive such small car at high speeds but we are always tempted to at 4 lanes. I didn't even felt a single time that I am driving it at 130 for 2 hours. My cousin was with his FORD FIESTA TDI. Never tried me to overtake. The car is so comfortable that both of my kids were asleep & never felt that they are in a car. I used to drive zen at 100 maximum & it was badly vibrating after 120. But in beat, you always have to be careful about the speedometer(None can judge the speed without speedometer how fast it is cutting th road).

6. The Chilling AC, A complete climate control experience.

7. ORVMs & the interior Mirror is also very very useful n very well-placed.

8. I am 6'2", so high dash isn't a problem for me at all, but I am sure it won't make a problem for mid-height people too.

9. The superb spaced & cooled Speedometer & odometer.

I started at 6am, everything was cool till it was 9am. We already drove 240kms. Because of HOLI some village people were trying to throw colors & water on car & we were smartly saving the car because its brand new. But some kids suddenly threw a bucket of water on the Dash(the speed was 120) & I missed some heartbeats. I stopped the car ahead & what I saw! 3 Hole sized round cracks & a little crack on the top of the windscreen. NO REGRETS! Why? Because I was saved from a big accident & the most amazing thing was that my kids were still sleeping & even my wife didn't know that it was this serious.( I must appreciate the Breaks & the well framed chesis). Then I stopped the car & kids were far away. I still went to police & told them just to stop kids & some teenagers to throw the water like this.

Negatives now:

1. I am not sure about this but is the windscreen that weak that it is broken by a water throw(though we have big doubts that there was some sand in water) but its not a big problem, I want some advice on how to claim the insurance & can we change the whole glass? Though the spots & not that Big but I heard they will increase day by day. please give some advice.

2. Back pain is a big problem for tall people driving the car for long distance, in my case its really painful. I do agree that the seating is really cool & comfortable but this experience gave me more back pain than the Zen. Its still paining & we are back before 8hours. SO for me personally, Seating is Below average.

3. Pick-up & gearshift : I am really sorry to say but the pick up isn't that good at all. it knocks if you leave the clutch a little early than normal in my car at least even in the 1st gear. 2nd gear isn't impressive at all for me. All the fun starts at 3rd & 4th gear, very very useful in city traffic, both are long. You can drive from 20-60 in 3rd without any problem & 30-50 in 4th. Gearshift was soft earlier but after driving 900kms, I felt that its loosing the softness & in rear gear, if you don't clutch properly, You will have to re-start the car. Rear gear knocks & its not butter smooth like i10 to shift the gear in rear.

4. Its a problem if we are reversing the car, we must Zoom our neck to see behind if you are not very used to judge by ORMS or internal mirror. I am 6'2" & its a big problem for me to open the window & check behind. The Windows are high a bit.

5. I am getting doubts on FE. it gave me approx.: 17.5 in the city(normal petrol), on highway 80% AC ON & Speed of 100-130 it gave me 16. Then again it gave me 15 on highway. I expected more on highway. Is it because of Speed or what?

6. A very limited tilt. The tilting steering can hardly tilt for an inch or two.

7. suspensions are OK in city & better on highway for me.

8. Music system if good if you are a jagjit fan or stuff like that. If you put any bass boosting song, speakers will get annoyed. But I must say the settings & controls are cool in.

9. Noise even at 3000rpms.

Thats it. But I feel a bit worried for FE & the windscreen. But over all I am very satisfied except the backpain.

Please advice on the Windscreen & I will upload some photos soon.
Thanks.
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:03   #536
Senior - BHPian

very good detailed review. Would like to know more about the Gear shifts. Does it loose its smoothness y just 1000km!!! I mean is there any play in the gear lever by now? What exactly is the difference you are talking about?

About F.E I dont think you can expect more than 16 when doing 100-130km/hr

The ARAI rating is around 18 so getting anything close to 17 during practical use is really great. I bet you could get more if you are very careful with pressing the accelerator and if you maintain seeds around 90km/hr. Strictly No fast accelerations or braking. But then whats the fun in driving a car this capable.
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:19   #537
BHPian

great insights da.maulik. We share same concerns when it comes to gear shift. I feel the gear shift is getting hard day by day and sometime when you slot in the reverse gear it makes a sharp noise and then you have to go back to neutral and slot again in the reverse. The reverse gear has been a problem since day one for me making sharp noise on occasions and I have to change it again.

Regarding FE you should not expect more than 16-17 at that speeds.

AC is chilling but yesterday it stopped working and I had to restart it not sure why it happened.

Pickup I agree is very poor so I'm waiting to cross 5k KM's and see if its still that way but its very easy to drive in city with that gear ratios.

Backache could be because you drove 1000 KMs in one day and thats a lot. But let me tell you that the Beat seats are the most comfortable in the class(in my opinion)

I agree with you on tilt steering as it not much of use. I wish it could tilt a little more for a perfect driving position.

I checked the noise in the cabin with music system turned off and you can hear the tire noise and its bad and gets worse with bad roads so always keep the music on.I played punjabi music as well and I found it decent not fond of playing the ICE loud as I don't want to force my music choice on others.

Engine noise kicks in even at 2500 rpm and keeps increasing but I think that has been deliberately kept to give a sport fell. Also if you see the Beat commercial it makes that same sound just like at high rpm's.

Last edited by vprodigy : 3rd March 2010 at 10:23.
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:38   #538
BHPian

Became a proud owner of BEAT LT last evening, its an absolute stunner....turned so many heads. I'm sure it definitely publicized for Chevy.

A lot has been said about its drive, I agree with all, but just one glitch I found, I pressed the hazard(turbulence) button, it got stuck in and didn't come out to stop the flashing indicators. The sales guy found it tough to shut it down, but with some pressure points finally succeeded. Will have to check it with the tech team and get it fixed.

Also using a FM transmitter to listen to songs in my Pen Drive, so no issues with mini USB.

Shoot any questions you might have.
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:06   #539
BHPian

Some questions from my side:
  1. Whenever the engine shuts off, it seems the music system volume gets reset to 15 - anyone else faced this?
  2. How do I shut off the AC
  3. In 2nd gear, when I'm moving up slope, I see the lack of power others mentioned here. Should I push to 3rd, or rev higher (I'm currently limiting to 2.5k RPM)
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:10   #540

Da.Maulik and vprodigy, I share the same concerns and observed the same problems.
A funny thing happened today, my friend was sitting on the passenger seat and was shaking his leg while waiting on a traffic light, the whole car started shaking, it was good enough shake that we could feel it in about 3-5 seconds.

It badly needs a dead pedal.

Most Viewed