Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 01:10   #556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Seeing a lot of complaints of poor pickup from Beat owners. Surprising since it has 80 bhp, which is pretty good.

Must be the tall gearing that is the culprit here.
I think tall gearing along with lack of torque at low RPM is the culprit here.
Also the hydraulic power steering might consume some power as well.

But on the contrary
It weighs less that swift/ritz.
Runs on thinner tyres. Also higher pressure.
So less pickup is definitely not acceptable.

I wish someone could post the torque vs RPM curve for beat.
& the max speed at each gear.
Old 4th March 2010, 06:29   #557

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX Overdrive View Post
They are clueless about this issue. We were stuck on the road when it happened, so called them up regarding the issue. They said that the boot door wouldn't be closed properly which might be causing the issue. But we confirmed that it is the button which is stuck inside and not coming out.

All I know is, these guys know nothing about the features of the new beat, they have their own understanding and provide feedback which is utterly vague.

The sales guy said that we'll be getting a new electrician for the beat and will confirm us when can we visit him and get the issue fixed.

Another thing which I faced today, connected the USB mini with a full USB converter, hooked a pen drive with MP3 songs, but no go. It didn't play any, tried pressing the USB dedicated button the on the audio console, but nothing happened, any clues?....thanks.
I think the problem is lack of enough restoring force of the compression spring inside and the size of the button, for this big a button they should have used a wide area spring. IMO it's majorly a design fault.
Old 4th March 2010, 08:05   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX Overdrive View Post
But earlier, Vprodigy confirmed that the sensor on the top of the dash relates to climate control, I guess thats a dummy sensor.

Anyways, will check the user manual and confirm back.
I was talking about the sensor on top of the Dash near the wind screen and that is a sunlight sensor for climate control and its mentioned in the manual.

@SUV100 I'll be going to the service station this weekend and get it checked I think only the reverse gear is an issue at this point. Pickup is sluggish in 2nd and 3rd gear and I feel more comfortable in driving in 4th and 5th and car performs very well at higher rpm's due to higher torque. The advantage of 2nd and 3rd gear in Beat is that you can drive effortlessly in the city traffic with very little down shifting. I also think that torque kicks in at higher rpm's and that's reason for poor pickup.

@Max The sales guys and even the engineers have not been trained well on the new product. You can hardly get any info from them.
Old 4th March 2010, 09:41   #559
Senior - BHPian

I had 3 test drives and this is what i have understood.

1. The car "feels" way much bigger than it actually is. Both Inside and Outside.
2. The "feel good" factor inside the cabin is missing on all variants except LT (where you feel GREAT!! )
3. The Door pad plastics are not so good to touch/see. The design of the front door though is no that bad.
4. The power window switches (especially at rear) are not ergonomically placed.
5. The rear door handles placement is a good "out of the box" thought. My only grudge. It should have been placed in the opposite direction thus making it more easy to use.
6. There is a good amount of 'blind spots' especially at the rear.
7. Boot?? What boot!!
8. The front seats are very well designed. They just hug you. I'm not a fan of low seating but i liked the way i was sitting in this car.
9. You would always fight with anyone just to be in the "front seats" on the LT variant . Its just a cool place to be in with all those blue lights and the swooping dash.
10. I am 5'11' and in the drivers seat i think i missed out close to 12-15 feet of ground in front of the car!!! This could be a trouble especially on slopes and while trailing another car.
11. The engine is unbelievably silent at idle. However it starts gowling as early as 2500 rpm. Personally.. i liked the growl.
12. The engine "pulls" only from above 2000rpm. Lower than that and you feel you are being pushed by a few people (instead of being pulled by horses. ha! ha!)
13. The gear had a rubbery feel but still slotted well and was smooth and easy to use unlike other earlier Chevy models
14. The insulation of sound inside cabin is good enough for a small car. Even at 100km/hr the only thing you hear is the engine growl. Not much road noise or air cutting in.
15. Dont think any other small car gives you this kind of confidence at high speeds.
16. Cost cutting is evident on the suspension dampeners that fail to cut out the noise on uneven roads.
Old 4th March 2010, 10:26   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seeing a lot of complaints of poor pickup from Beat owners. Surprising since it has 80 bhp, which is pretty good.

Must be the tall gearing that is the culprit here.
My bro too complained about this. I am yet to test drive one. Reminds me of old Swift petrols, no low end torque and hence you keep it revving in city; result bad FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I had 3 test drives and this is what i have understood.

7. Boot?? What boot!!

12. The engine "pulls" only from above 2000rpm. Lower than that and you feel you are being pushed by a few people (instead of being pulled by horses. ha! ha!)
Better boot than Alto /A-star atleast right?

Last edited by jkdas : 4th March 2010 at 10:28.
Old 4th March 2010, 13:41   #561
BHPian

I had a test drive of the beat yesterday.
It was a LT version.
Pick up in first gear is good but the 2nd gear is sluggish.Iam used to the turbo kick in my swift in the second gear so i find most petrol cars sluggish in the 2nd gear.
Else the engine is amazingly tractable.I was driving at 40 kmph in 4th gear and the engine never sounded strained.20kmph in the third gear is also possible.
100kmph came up in 14 odd seconds.

Gear box is a nice short throw snappy one almost at par with swifts.

I found the buid quality and the fit and finish definitely better than in my swift.Doors closing with a soft thud reminded me of my petra.

Rear is a bit cramped and taller passengers will find a long journey uncomfortable.

Visibility is good.
All in all a good all rounder by chevrolet.
Old 4th March 2010, 17:11   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post

Gear box is a nice short throw snappy one almost at par with swifts.

I found the buid quality and the fit and finish definitely better than in my swift.Doors closing with a soft thud reminded me of my petra.
Well i think this is being acknowledged by experts as well. I came across Overdrive's March Issues where it compared Beat was pitted against Ritz, Swift,Punto and I10. Also Zigwheels compared Beat against Jazz, i20, Punto,Fabia and Ritz in its march issue.

Nothing to say about the results where Beat Stood as favourite, but if there is a car which clocks better rating then our favourite "swift", its gotto be really really good.
Old 5th March 2010, 02:01   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I think tall gearing along with lack of torque at low RPM is the culprit here.
Also the hydraulic power steering might consume some power as well..
Yup, i-10 Kappa engine makes same power at 5200 rpm and Beat is around 6200. So the i-10 should have a really strong bottom end.
Old 5th March 2010, 12:34   #564
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yup, i-10 Kappa engine makes same power at 5200 rpm and Beat is around 6200. So the i-10 should have a really strong bottom end.
Which it does not at all. The i20 has horrible low end grunt. You need to properly dump the clutch to get it to move. You can't shift to second for speed breakers and 4th gear 40kmh means it will struggle to pull.

I found the Beat a little better than i10 but the K-series is the best in this.
Old 5th March 2010, 13:00   #565
BHPian

i feel that the low power in 2nd and 3rd gear has been deliberately kept to make it a city car and that is the exact reason why it drives effortlessly in the stop go city traffic and engine is not strained in low rpm's and lower gears. Beat cannot be swift and so swift cannot be Beat they are different cars.Beat performs quite well in the 4th and the 5th gears and much better on the highways than other cars in the segment. the low power in 2nd and 3rd gears has its own advantages and disadvantages but we have to understand that the car has been configured that way and its not that there is a problem with engine. same engine can be configured to deliver higher power and torque figures but then we'll have to compromise on other things which we do not want to. Buying Beat has been a very good decision for me and I'm enjoying it so far. and as far as 0-100 km is concerned i think its bullshit for this segment its applicable for performance cars and there is none in this segment.
Old 5th March 2010, 13:54   #566
BHPian

Totally agreed to Vprodigy

A prefect Answer. Its of course not an engine problem. There must be some reason behind it. So I am convinced by this answer & I really enjoy driving it. It doesn't mean that Because I own this car I won't criticize it, I have given the facts I have seen so far. If there will be a problem with it, I will share but ever car has some pros & cons, except some facts, the car is a really charming beauty & I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprodigy View Post
i feel that the low power in 2nd and 3rd gear has been deliberately kept to make it a city car and that is the exact reason why it drives effortlessly in the stop go city traffic and engine is not strained in low rpm's and lower gears. Beat cannot be swift and so swift cannot be Beat they are different cars.Beat performs quite well in the 4th and the 5th gears and much better on the highways than other cars in the segment. the low power in 2nd and 3rd gears has its own advantages and disadvantages but we have to understand that the car has been configured that way and its not that there is a problem with engine. same engine can be configured to deliver higher power and torque figures but then we'll have to compromise on other things which we do not want to. Buying Beat has been a very good decision for me and I'm enjoying it so far. and as far as 0-100 km is concerned i think its bullshit for this segment its applicable for performance cars and there is none in this segment.
Old 5th March 2010, 18:09   #567
BHPian

Hiked Beat prices post-budget & Accessory pricelist for Beat

Chevy has increased the prices as an effect of Budgets 2% hike in excise duty. My car has been built and is in ready for transit. So by booking doesn't have the hike as promised by he dealer. I checked the stock list and found my chassis number at the dealer today. Here are the new prices in Hyderabad for Chevy Beat wef 2nd March

Hiked Beat prices:
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-scan0001.jpg

Old Prices for reference (The figures are for Metallic colors)
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-scan0002.jpg

By the way I also got the accessories price list for beat from the dealer.
I guess it will give you an idea.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-scan0003.jpg
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-scan0004.jpg
Old 5th March 2010, 19:18   #568
BHPian

About the pickup issue

I had a look (no TD) of the BEAT today at a showroom, and the sales guy didn't hesitate to admit about the poor pick up in the second gear.He was of the opinion that GM would sort it out soon.
And yes, the prices have increased post budget, the hike according to him, works out to the tune of approx.Rs.8,000/-
One point I would like to mention is that one has to pay a premium of nearly Rs.5,500/- for colours like Green Cocktail Metallic, Super Red, Moroccan Blue, and Linen Beige, over other colours like Misty Lake Metallic, Galaxy white and Caviar Bllack.This is applicable across all the variants.
Old 5th March 2010, 19:58   #569
Senior - BHPian

860 rs for mud flaps in a small car!!! Isnt that a bit too much to ask for!!! Except for some accessories the prices seem ok!

And will prices increase for people who have booked the car before March 2nd?
Old 5th March 2010, 20:30   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
860 rs for mud flaps in a small car!!! Isnt that a bit too much to ask for!!! Except for some accessories the prices seem ok!

And will prices increase for people who have booked the car before March 2nd?
I booked on Feb 5th. My dealer promised me to give for old price when I asked today. So guys who booked already confirm with your dealers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks