Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2010, 14:25   #961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX Overdrive View Post
This is a very subjective topic. I think everybody has his own preferences, low height of Figo, Polo and their engine power might not a good parameter for many. Again contemporary looks compared with show stopper looks of Beat is just one of the few aspects.

But one thing is for sure - NO CAR IS PERFECT. And everybody needs to understand that!! People will find issues with a Ferrari or a Lambo as well, what's the point? Stick with the choice you've made and discuss points how well can we make it a better experience for all the riders.

Cribbing on same points again and again is ruining the whole point of this Forum.

I simply love my BEAT, will try to make it a lot better with a few enhancements discussed here among us, looking forward for more 'tips' than the repeated 'cribs'...
very well said Max . Beat is a great car and we should stop cribbing about the 2nd gear thing. Every car has its plus and minus and in Beat i find more plus than minus compared to any car in this engine cc and price band segment. Also remember in India the pricing band is more important in decision than the engine cc. Majority people do not care how powerful or sluggish the engine is. The car should give the best value for money and beat is the best VFM car in this price band.
Old 27th May 2010, 19:52   #962
Senior - BHPian

I never had a problem with second gear. Odo reads 385. The lesson learned was keep the rpm above 1800 mark and up-shift early. It's amazing to use the fourth gear with a good amount of torque readily available. Good ride, nice big steering and maneuverability is another plus point.

Cheers!
Old 27th May 2010, 19:55   #963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX Overdrive View Post
But one thing is for sure - NO CAR IS PERFECT. And everybody needs to understand that!! People will find issues with a Ferrari or a Lambo as well, what's the point? Stick with the choice you've made and discuss points how well can we make it a better experience for all the riders.

Cribbing on same points again and again is ruining the whole point of this Forum.

I simply love my BEAT, will try to make it a lot better with a few enhancements discussed here among us, looking forward for more 'tips' than the repeated 'cribs'...
Firstly I am sticking to the choice I made. I knew its strenghs and weakness very well before I bought it. Its used as a second car. If I were to buy a car for myself I would have never opt for Beat. (No offence anybody)

Secondly you said no car is perfect. So why are you scared about the negetives?

The reason I posted those comments as I found drive and handling reviews highly contradicting with mine. I am entitled to my own opinions ain't I?

I love my Beat too, but this thread is highly overrated. (Well this happens to every thread, not a big issue)

Well you you guys think i am talking gibberish I will stop posting comments. No hard feelings.
Old 28th May 2010, 09:01   #964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Firstly I am sticking to the choice I made. I knew its strenghs and weakness very well before I bought it.
This is a very good point made by you, I think it is very important to know the entire coin and not the only the one side of coin.

Quote:
Secondly you said no car is perfect. So why are you scared about the negatives?
I don't think anyone is scared about the negatives here but the point is we are discussing how to get ride of a problem which is lot of people are facing. Secondly we don't want to stress on the negatives more as overall the car is good in lot of departments.

Quote:
I love my Beat too, but this thread is highly overrated. (Well this happens to every thread, not a big issue)
overrated - & this thread. I am surprised to know this. How can a thread be over rated when all the positives along with the negatives are discussed with out hiding any point. and your () is even more surprising as you are saying all the threads on the site is overrated.

Quote:
Well you you guys think i am talking gibberish I will stop posting comments. No hard feelings.
Every one has right to put his/her point on the thread, you did your thing I did my thing every one will do there posting, lets not argue and make this a boring thread with the fights.

Driving this thread to highway. - I got FE at 8.73 which is really upsetting for me but there could be these reasons behind it.

1. 100% city driving. My car is driven only in local place (Mulund) which has a radius of may be 4 K.M.

2. 100% AC on. As there is too much heat in Mumbai you can't drive with out AC yaar...
Old 28th May 2010, 12:12   #965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer View Post
With close to 100% AC in city roads I am getting around 11. Is that not below the company claimed numbers. Wanted to hear what others think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
I agree that the figure is a bit less, since I get around 12 (and I am a real noob driver).
Let the picture speak for itself. The picture at the end of the post was taken just when the 7th bar from the fuel meter disappeared. So far the car has covered 398 km since last tank fill and the fuel meter still shows 6 bars. 6 bars on fuel meter roughly equals to 13 litres. That means car has covered 398 kms in approximately 22 litres of petrol i.e FE of around 18kmpl.
The traffic condition here in Udaipur is worse than Pune and Hyderabad and climatic temperature is around 45 degree Celsius for last month or so.
The car is driven
25 % in heavy crawling city traffic
50 % in normal city traffic
25 % in highway
50 % AC usage (half of the kms were done in morning and night hours so AC was not used)
50 % times 4 persons were on board
50 % times only myself.
Initially my car returned me around 14 kmpl and now as the kilometers are building up it is consistently returning around 18 kmpl.
I am a gently kind of driver. Never rev my car hard, never involve in competition or small race with other cars and always feel happy to give side to one who wants to pass me.
So I must say anything below 14 kmpl with 100% AC in city has to do with the driving style not with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
I got FE at 8.73 which is really upsetting for me but there could be these reasons behind it.

1. 100% city driving. My car is driven only in local place (Mulund) which has a radius of may be 4 K.M.

2. 100% AC on. As there is too much heat in Mumbai you can't drive with out AC yaar...
Of course it is due to the short runnings. You will certainly get better FE when your car will get properly run-in. Do go for some long trips and again check the FE
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-picture-0769.jpg  

Old 28th May 2010, 14:35   #966
vihang15

straches to the bonnet .

hi friends ,

today i found out that there are a few straches on the left side of the front bumper on my chevy beat .

i think it might be due to some kids bicycle scratching the beat while it was parked .

in your opinion should i visit a local garage to do a touchup job or should i contact the official dealership . is the insurance claim applicable incase of the job done by the dealership .

Old 28th May 2010, 14:54   #967
BHPian

@Topolino - excellent FE figures buddy. I hope mine will improve as my driving skills improve.

@vihang15 - If the job requires repainting, then I think your dealership will have to paint the WHOLE part again. Are the scratches real bad, or just smallish/usual ones?
Old 28th May 2010, 16:19   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vihang15 View Post
hi friends ,

today i found out that there are a few straches on the left side of the front bumper on my chevy beat .

i think it might be due to some kids bicycle scratching the beat while it was parked .

in your opinion should i visit a local garage to do a touchup job or should i contact the official dealership . is the insurance claim applicable incase of the job done by the dealership .
If the scratches are surfacial I don't think it should cost more than few hundred rupees. Go to the local dealer and also to the local garage and get estimates for the job. Never go for insurance claim for any kind of small jobs as it will debar you from No Claim Bonus next year.
Old 28th May 2010, 16:50   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vihang15 View Post
is the insurance claim applicable incase of the job done by the dealership .
Yes insurance will help you, IF YOU NEED IT.

Please check it how much it cost's?
Old 28th May 2010, 22:05   #970

Well, someone asked about my driving style. I do mostly city runs at approx 40km/day from one end of Pune to the other. And I am a late riser - start to office at 9.30 and head back at 6PM.. So I guess I get to meet all the traffic I can possibly meet on the nasty roads. I dont rev too often, dont get a chance to. And as I said before, I always use AC. So given that, maybe 11FE is reasonable.

I have been thinking about this.. the manual says try to keep the RPM as low as you can at any given speed => try to upshift to the mac possible gear. Obviously, too much of it and you will end up with no torque (or worse, stalling condition). So, my question is, what is the best band that I should keep my beat in. I am comfortable keeping it at 2.5~3, I find it responsive there. But maybe I am revving it a bit too much, any thoughts?

Someone was pointing the fuel gauge (7 bars remaining) to calculate the mileage.. My friend, no car's fuel gauge is linear.. in fact it is an exponentially declining curve => the first bar (or first quadrant of an analog meter) is worth much more fuel than the last bar (or last quadrant). I have driven many many cars in India and US to say that for sure.

Lastly, I only got a single feedback abt K&N filter voiding the warranty. K&N website clearly mentions that manufacturers cannot do that and they are willing to fight with any manufacturer that claims that the warranty will go void. Please advice. I would really like to improve pref of my cars - Vista and Beat.
Old 28th May 2010, 23:00   #971
Senior - BHPian

If you are planning on using a replacement filter, you can just replace it with the stock one before taking it in for a service.

PS: Is there a replacement filter for the Beat available already?
Old 29th May 2010, 11:56   #972
vihang15

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
@Topolino - excellent FE figures buddy. I hope mine will improve as my driving skills improve.

@vihang15 - If the job requires repainting, then I think your dealership will have to paint the WHOLE part again. Are the scratches real bad, or just smallish/usual ones?
hi friends thank you for your reply .

@ quadmaniac - the scratches are not that big , but they are little deep as i think some kids have rammed there bicycle and hence the paint has come off .

@topolino - i would try the local dealer and get the job estimate . incase they quote reasonable i would get it done from them . else would try the dealership .

Old 29th May 2010, 19:51   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
overrated - & this thread. I am surprised to know this. How can a thread be over rated when all the positives along with the negatives are discussed with out hiding any point. and your () is even more surprising as you are saying all the threads on the site is overrated.
The reason most of the threads are over-rated is because most people who posts here are the proud owners of that car. So hardly you will find any critic over here. Secondly most people say good things about a car as they haven't seen better. The moderator's reviews are the one that are generally unbiased. And I my friend was trying to do same as well. Want some bad reviews. Log on to Chevrolet Beat Test Drive Review 2010, Chevy Beat First Road Testing Report | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog
This is probably the worst review possible. (hate that guy).
But anyway no point arguing. So moving on.

Quote:
Driving this thread to highway. - I got FE at 8.73 which is really upsetting for me but there could be these reasons behind it.

Make sure your tyre pressure is 32. I used to get 11.5 (when I had 27PSi)
currently getting 13 with 32 Psi.
If it does not solve the problem perform a coast down test. (deceleration time from (100-0) in XXXsecs in neutral.) Then compare with other owners of Beat. You can find out whether the engine or the car is the culprit for low FE.

Last edited by oxyzen : 29th May 2010 at 19:52.
Old 30th May 2010, 13:44   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Make sure your tyre pressure is 32. I used to get 11.5 (when I had 27PSi)
currently getting 13 with 32 Psi.
If it does not solve the problem perform a coast down test. (deceleration time from (100-0) in XXXsecs in neutral.) Then compare with other owners of Beat. You can find out whether the engine or the car is the culprit for low FE.
I have tried to calculate the FE and even I am getting a FE of 9Kms /Ltr.

I generally have drive it in the 1 & 2nd gear as I drive from Borivali to Dadar and back during peak hours.

@Oxyzen: Thanks for the tip buddy, I will get the tyre pressure right and post my experience.

Just want to ask the experts, There are some hidden icons on the indicator which are not active. It shows a human figure, a car symbol and then a fule pump sign. What are these for and how to activate them. Have posted a picture for your reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-beatodo.jpg  

Old 30th May 2010, 20:10   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_Chaser View Post
I have tried to calculate the FE and even I am getting a FE of 9Kms /Ltr.

I generally have drive it in the 1 & 2nd gear as I drive from Borivali to Dadar and back during peak hours.

@Oxyzen: Thanks for the tip buddy, I will get the tyre pressure right and post my experience.

Just want to ask the experts, There are some hidden icons on the indicator which are not active. It shows a human figure, a car symbol and then a fule pump sign. What are these for and how to activate them. Have posted a picture for your reference.
Wow! Cloud chaser it's better not to press the screen like that, in fact don't touch it at all.

Most Viewed