Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2010, 19:57   #1246
BHPian

Good move from GM

Thanks Topolino, for sharing the info. about the ECU remapping. It seems that GM is listening to the customer feedback. In this context I wish to mention that I was disappointed when I didnt get any reply to my mail from GM, regarding my feedback about the BEAT , nearly one month ago.
Any way, better late than never !! Now I hope the BEAT gets what it badly needs.. driver's seat height adjust ( and other missing goodies).

Last edited by auto-one : 27th July 2010 at 19:58.
Old 27th July 2010, 20:25   #1247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
Thanks Topolino, for sharing the info. about the ECU remapping. It seems that GM is listening to the customer feedback. In this context I wish to mention that I was disappointed when I didnt get any reply to my mail from GM, regarding my feedback about the BEAT , nearly one month ago.
Any way, better late than never !! Now I hope the BEAT gets what it badly needs.. driver's seat height adjust ( and other missing goodies).
I share the same feedback for GM customer care, it's almost close to a month now and no feedback call yet from GM, i escalated my Gold Rush offer coin related issue with them on Facebook page, it is then i got a mail after a week from customer care team, Dealer here in Pune, Pashankar Auto Wheels Pvt LTD has being very helpful and prompt in service but the same has not being replicated by the company.
Old 27th July 2010, 20:40   #1248
BHPian

@KreativeGeek, did you get any communication from the dealer / GM regarding the ECU remapping? or did your car came preloaded with the new ECU setting? Secondly, has your issue regarding the Gold Rush offer, been completely sorted out to your satisfaction by GM?

Last edited by auto-one : 27th July 2010 at 20:48.
Old 27th July 2010, 21:15   #1249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
@KreativeGeek, did you get any communication from the dealer / GM regarding the ECU remapping? or did your car came preloaded with the new ECU setting? Secondly, has your issue regarding the Gold Rush offer, been completely sorted out to your satisfaction by GM?
1) Regarding ECU remapping could not make much out of it, as i have not got an opportunity of revving my engine real hard up to now, however when i rev the engine on 1st, 2nd gear i can feel the engine ready to roar, no drag or low torque issue observed as such up to now. Also i can feel the engine picking up to speed with the slightest push on pedal, so have not had to push the pedal down completely to get speed.

2) on GM gold rush offer related query, i have kept my fingers crossed, since i was supposed to get my car delivery on 29th June but due to some RTO delay i got it on 2nd July, however i was after the dealer to get my gold rush offer form submitted just not to land with a scenario where the company would say that i took the delivery of the car in july so they can't give me the benefit, since my Alto LXI was handed over for down payment in June itself and the balance money also was received by the dealer in June again.

Later on the day of taking delivery i insited the sales manager to give me in writing that i would receive my gold coin in 15-20 days which he absatained from doing so i smelled a rat here and took opinion from few members on carwale.com where one of the members got his gold coin in a previous campaign by chevrolet after 3 months, he did not even remember about any such offer. So i thought to wait but recently when the sales executive again met me to hand over TC of my car, i asked him on the gold coin offer status he said they did not have any update from GM.

That's why i escalated the issue finally to GM on this, hope i get what i was promised.
Old 28th July 2010, 15:39   #1250

Regarding driving style and mileage

@Topolino and Oxyzen

Thanks for your responses. My driving style is as follows:

1st gear: 0-20 kmph
2nd gear: 20-40 kmph
3rd gear: 40-55-60 kmph
4th gear: 60-75 (which I have touched just once)
5th gear: once when I touched 75

Road conditions:
Strictly B2B
Bad roads with loads of potholes
mostly drive in 2-3rd gear with max speed of 35 kmph
Mostly driving in the rain
My leg is always on the clutch (no option as driving conditions are so bad)
AC is always ON.

I pity my new baby Beat for the above. Any comments??
Old 28th July 2010, 16:51   #1251
BHPian

Finally the dealer goofed up on assured gold coin promo , which they informed me after 26 days of my purchase, i had confidence that this thing would be messed up for sure and have written a big mail to GM on this, the dealer staff now says the assured gold coin was for Spark, Aveo and Captiva i was only eligible for lucky draw offer.

My word of advice for new Chevrolet buyers, specially from Pashankar Auto, Pune
  • The sales staff here seems to be royally misinformed and be very careful in taking their word on things.
  • They are helpful in other matters and would assist you very well in your buying and the follow up later.
For GM all that i have written to them is i feel like a customer purchasing grocery from Kirana Store, BUY and FORGET. It's true that they are hampering a product with good potential with lackluster after sales service.
Old 29th July 2010, 10:45   #1252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeGeek View Post
Finally the dealer goofed up on assured gold coin promo , which they informed me after 26 days of my purchase, i had confidence that this thing would be messed up for sure and have written a big mail to GM on this, the dealer staff now says the assured gold coin was for Spark, Aveo and Captiva i was only eligible for lucky draw offer.

• The sales staff here seems to be royally misinformed and be very careful in taking their word on things.
  • They are helpful in other matters and would assist you very well in your buying and the follow up later.
For GM all that i have written to them is i feel like a customer purchasing grocery from Kirana Store, BUY and FORGET. It's true that they are hampering a product with good potential with lackluster after sales service.

I agree to that, even I had the same experience in Cochin. The sales person promised me the Mud flaps, floor matt and the Teflon Coat but at the time of delivery only the Chevy goodies like Teddy, Tissue Box and the Key Chain. For closing a deal they will offer all kinds of baits but on delivery they will come up with all kinds of excuses that it will be deducted from their salary and so on.

But from SVC its like 50+50 satisfaction till date. At least they are ready to listen the issues and do the best from their limits. No dealings with GM as yet.
Old 29th July 2010, 11:16   #1253

@KreativeGeek - You are not alone where Pashankar Auto Wheels is concerned. These guys dont have the slightest clue about what good customer service is. Not only are they misinformed but they are very lackadaisical in their approach towards customers which i would say is very typical of GM.

On the ECU remapping subject, did the pashankar guys inform you that there was such a circular from GM or did you approach them to get this done? I ask this because i purchased my BEat from these people but they have not bothered to call me regarding this. Either they just done care or are busy fooling other prospective buyers. Also, any fiddling with the ECU will directly impact your FE Figures. Please tell us your experience on this when you can.
Old 29th July 2010, 12:05   #1254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by webadi27 View Post
@Topolino and Oxyzen

Road conditions:
Strictly B2B
Bad roads with loads of potholes
mostly drive in 2-3rd gear with max speed of 35 kmph
Mostly driving in the rain
My leg is always on the clutch (no option as driving conditions are so bad)
AC is always ON.

I pity my new baby Beat for the above. Any comments??
Most of the times I uphift between 1500-2000 rpm as the traffic here in Udaipur is not strictly B2B. For your driving condition i.e strict B2B traffic,
bad roads with loads of potholes, maximun driving in 2-3rd gear with AC ON 100%, 10-11 kmpl seems to be OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeGeek View Post

It is true that assured gold coin was only for Spark, Aveo and Captiva. The dealer has certainly mislead you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
I agree to that, even I had the same experience in Cochin. The sales person promised me the Mud flaps, floor matt and the Teflon Coat but at the time of delivery only the Chevy goodies like Teddy, Tissue Box and the Key Chain. For closing a deal they will offer all kinds of baits but on delivery they will come up with all kinds of excuses that it will be deducted from their salary and so on.

But from SVC its like 50+50 satisfaction till date. At least they are ready to listen the issues and do the best from their limits. No dealings with GM as yet.
We are very lucky to have a very good dealer M/s Atharva Motors here in Udaipur with a well versed Sales and Service team. Since the launch of Beat on 5th January and upto my purchase on 22nd April I took atleast 6 test drives in all sorts of driving conditions. Whenever I called sales executive for test drive he was ready with car. The dealer promised me Sterring Cover, Floor Mat, Mud Flap, Seat Cover, Body Cover and Central Locking. I was allowed for a PDI a day before in which I checked each and every thing of the car as per the article http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html and before delivery next day my car was loaded with all the things the dealer promised.

The Service Team always hear to me, considers my suggestions, clear up my querries, and explains what they are going to do, how they are going to do and do the things in my presence. Be it a general check-up, collar installation in rear dampers, oil & filter change or ECU remapping all was done in my presence.

Every 10 days or so I get a call from Customer Care Manger and Service Manager. They simply ask me how my Beat is running, If I have any issues/problems or any suggestions. They end up their call by saying " If you have any issue please call us, we are ready at your service anytime.

If a dealer says customers are not allowed in the service bay, the dealer is totally wrong, customer has every right to know what a service team is going to do with his or her car. He/she has all rights to enter in the service area in the presence of Service Engineer/Advisor any other representative of dealer.

Last edited by Topolino : 29th July 2010 at 12:17.
Old 29th July 2010, 14:11   #1255

As per Pashankar Auto in Pune GM has advised them to remap the ECU only for those cars that report a problem. There is no such recall for all cars to remap the ECU. Just my 2 cents on this.
Old 29th July 2010, 16:03   #1256
BHPian

@Alphaprime1509 i got a call from some manager in charge of Pashankar auto today, who was just trying to pacify me on the gold coin offer issue, i sensed he was doing this out of obligation and was not even ready to acknowledge that it was a wrong info provided by his staff.

I was in no mood of getting difficult with those guys as i am engaged in some other matters and really do not have to time to blast these guys. When i asked him why did i not get any official feedback call from GM yet, he says they call after 40-45 days of car purchase.

I was taken by surprise if this is what GM follows as a policy to contact new customers?

On ECU re-mapping i would wait for some time, as i have checked my Car manufacturing date which is of May 2010, and on the 2nd petrol refill i have got 13.73 FE in city driving, rainy condition - occasional use of defogger and A/C sometimes and 1-3 passenger load. have observed no considerable lag on the 2nd gear pickup until now.

IMO i am ready to check car performance for another month, possibly take it once on E-Way and check the performance. One thing i noticed was that the TD car i drove bumped on a low height speed breaker in my society, i had raised this concern right in the beginning since there is a very bulging speed breaker in my office parking which had hit my alto under body quiet a few times, i have passed this speed breaker easily without touching it thankfully, wonder if rear suspension collar has being added or GC is not an issue with the car.
Old 29th July 2010, 17:48   #1257
vihang15

Dear friends ,

in my view ECU remapping is only recommended for turbo and sports car . we need to understand that beat is city hatchback and hence increasing the torque via engine remapping would result in strain on other parts and they need to work harder . this would result in reducing the lifecycle of other parts.

only standalone ECU remapping is not recommended by auto experts . it requires other parts modifications like camshaft , air filter , exhuast systems etc ;

the beat has a 1.2 ltr fuel efficient engine , hence ECU mapping would only result in change in the gear ratios , if you add power to the 1-2 gear it would reduce the power of your 4-5th gear . you cannot increase the overall torque of 108nm produced by the beat engine by ONLY a ECU remap.

hence IMO please consult the manufacturer before any modifications . i am experiencing smooth performance of the engine in all gears after a run period of 6 months and am happy with the FE and performance .

Old 29th July 2010, 18:58   #1258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vihang15 View Post
Dear friends ,

in my view ECU remapping is only recommended for turbo and sports car . we need to understand that beat is city hatchback and hence increasing the torque via engine remapping would result in strain on other parts and they need to work harder . this would result in reducing the lifecycle of other parts.
only standalone ECU remapping is not recommended by auto experts . it requires other parts modifications like camshaft , air filter , exhuast systems etc ;
My friend you are absolutely wrong!!
I'll give you an example. Swift , ritz have the same engine. All parts are similar camshaft , air filter , exhuast systems. Only swift has am additional resonator to reduce noise. But both have different ECU calibration.
Same with the case of wagonr,estillo, astar.

Life??
Simply asking how do you improve the performance. Put rich mixture. In that case it keeps you engine cool. Better life. Only FE goes down. (well its not as simple as it sounds but something like that.)

Quote:
the beat has a 1.2 ltr fuel efficient engine , hence ECU mapping would only result in change in the gear ratios , if you add power to the 1-2 gear it would reduce the power of your 4-5th gear . you cannot increase the overall torque of 108nm produced by the beat engine by ONLY a ECU remap.
How can you change gear ratios by changing ECU calibration? Your concept isnt clear. Engine is separate from transmission. Its not so simple like NFS most wanted.
Like I said before If you change ECU settings the same change will be visible across all gears.

Quote:
hence IMO please consult the manufacturer before any modifications . i am experiencing smooth performance of the engine in all gears after a run period of 6 months and am happy with the FE and performance .
If you are fine with your current settins then OK. you dont need to go it.

@Topolono- Will be posting my reviews soon. Once I get it done. Got a call form my dealer as well. Hope its good.
Old 29th July 2010, 23:40   #1259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
My friend you are absolutely wrong!!
I'll give you an example. Swift , ritz have the same engine. All parts are similar camshaft , air filter , exhuast systems. Only swift has am additional resonator to reduce noise. But both have different ECU calibration.
Same with the case of wagonr,estillo, astar.
Life??
Simply asking how do you improve the performance. Put rich mixture. In that case it keeps you engine cool. Better life. Only FE goes down. (well its not as simple as it sounds but something like that.)
How can you change gear ratios by changing ECU calibration? Your concept isnt clear. Engine is separate from transmission. Its not so simple like NFS most wanted.
Like I said before If you change ECU settings the same change will be visible across all gears.
If you are fine with your current settins then OK. you dont need to go it.
@Topolono- Will be posting my reviews soon. Once I get it done. Got a call form my dealer as well. Hope its good.
I completely agree with you, Oxyzen.

I think Vihang15 has understood the term ECU re-map wrongly.

IMHO the re-map is only for the advance in ignition timing. It has nothing to do with the transmission and gear ratios. If there is any change, then it will be visible across all the gears.
108Nm torque is the peak torque and we will be getting this torque only at a particular engine rpm. ie. 4400rpm. (note that the torque and power to be always mentioned along with the rpm). So don't expect 108Nm torque or 80.5ps power from the engine at the normal driving conditions.
Old 30th July 2010, 09:24   #1260
BHPian

I dont know whether to go for ECU remap , but my wife says tat there is no pick up in the car coz she's the one who uses it (she always says pick up is not like our old santro and i always hate that sentence). I have not given it for service or check up till now.

Generally 1st service would be after 1000kms right? I do not have the manual with me right now, so could not check it. Any comments on this?

My exp with FE as of now. Filled that tank from BP and it did take 33L (i suppose 2 L would have been there) and got it filled today after the light started blinking. Around 20kms driven with light blinking and i heard from one of my friend that it goes for nearly 50kms with light blinking, not sure though, haven't tested personally, so cannot comment on this. If any one has done this, please shower your thoughts on this. The driving is 50% highways (2.5K-3K rpm most of the time) and 50% city (not B2B though, same condition as mentioned by Topolino, but with lots of braking) with 100% AC.

Odo reads 620 Km, so by calculation it comes around to 17.7kmpl. Anyway its early days to check for FE. Hope to get it checked after 2K kms or after the 1st service, feel that would be apt.

Regards,
Raj.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks