Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 10:29   #1261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
I completely agree with you, Oxyzen.

I think Vihang15 has understood the term ECU re-map wrongly.

IMHO the re-map is only for the advance in ignition timing. It has nothing to do with the transmission and gear ratios. If there is any change, then it will be visible across all the gears.
108Nm torque is the peak torque and we will be getting this torque only at a particular engine rpm. ie. 4400rpm. (note that the torque and power to be always mentioned along with the rpm). So don't expect 108Nm torque or 80.5ps power from the engine at the normal driving conditions.

ECU remapping is done from the service center and it’s from the manufacturer provided software linked with their CS site, so it’s a trusted tweak. But why only few people feel it’s annoying and rest doesn’t feel that? Is there any batch defect? I mean a particular series production has got any bugs?

Salbin, I can’t agree with you that the difference will be felt in all gears. Am no expert in this, all I could say that after my remapping the torque in the 1st gear was reduced noticeably and the 2nd gear is smarter than the previous condition. That anyone can easily notice it, one of my friend having an Alto, once took a TD of my car. The first impression was 1gear is responding properly, he didn’t noticed that the 2nd gear is more peppier as he didn’t experienced the first condition. Like you said, it may be a timing tweak but its felt only first 2 gears may be am not able to feel it.

One more thing, ECU mapping will not be done at the customer’s request rather it’s from the manufacturer’s direction. I have cross checked with this from the SVC, with another friend having UVA to remap just for the confirmation. They said it can’t be done unless they have the direction from the manufacturer.

Next week am planning for the remapping as promised by the dealer, hope that will settle this issue.
Old 30th July 2010, 11:17   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
pick up is not like our old santro and i always hate that sentence). I have not given it for service or check up till now.
That is because Santro engine gives reasonably good torque at extremely lower RPMs
Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
Odo reads 620 Km, so by calculation it comes around to 17.7kmpl. Anyway its early days to check for FE. Hope to get it checked after 2K kms or after the 1st service, feel that would be apt.
Use full tank to full tank method to check FE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
But why only few people feel it’s annoying and rest doesn’t feel that? Is there any batch defect? I mean a particular series production has got any bugs?.
Seems like a batch issue. I am not sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Salbin, I can’t agree with you that the difference will be felt in all gears. Am no expert in this, all I could say that after my remapping the torque in the 1st gear was reduced noticeably and the 2nd gear is smarter than the previous condition. That anyone can easily notice it, one of my friend having an Alto, once took a TD of my car. The first impression was 1gear is responding properly, he didn’t noticed that the 2nd gear is more peppier as he didn’t experienced the first condition. Like you said, it may be a timing tweak but its felt only first 2 gears may be am not able to feel it.
The change has to be there across all the gears. They are not altering anything in the gear box.
May be - you are not able to feel it in the other 3 gears.

BTW, next week I will be going for 5000km service.
Will be sharing my experience after that.
Old 30th July 2010, 11:39   #1263
BHPian

My experience with a test drive of the BEAT was one of dissapointment as the test car's AC was not working and it was just 3-4 months old. I will understand dents etc on the car-how does a test drive effect the car-the sales guy made a statement as such??
Any inputs?
Old 30th July 2010, 12:34   #1264
vihang15

my friends oxyzen and salbin ,

Are you saying that ECU remap would not effect your vehicles standard performance .

ECU remap is definately linked to the gear ratios . if your ECU - engine control unit is remapped it would give you different performance in each gear than the standard ECU calibration .

you remap the ECU to increase the performance , which means you are increasing the Torque at a particular RPM level for each gear . however you cannot increase the overall torque of 108nm as per the manufacturer specifications unless you do a corresponding modifications to the other car parts .

if you have any proven fact sheets and validated data . that anyone has remapped only the ECU and improved the overall engine torque above 108 nm. please share with us .

if you are an automobile expert please share facts to prove your point .

Old 30th July 2010, 19:13   #1265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vihang15 View Post
my friends oxyzen and salbin ,
Are you saying that ECU remap would not effect your vehicles standard performance .
ECU remap is definately linked to the gear ratios . if your ECU - engine control unit is remapped it would give you different performance in each gear than the standard ECU calibration .
you remap the ECU to increase the performance , which means you are increasing the Torque at a particular RPM level for each gear . however you cannot increase the overall torque of 108nm as per the manufacturer specifications unless you do a corresponding modifications to the other car parts .
if you have any proven fact sheets and validated data . that anyone has remapped only the ECU and improved the overall engine torque above 108 nm. please share with us .
if you are an automobile expert please share facts to prove your point .
AFAIK, there is no gear selection signal input to the ECU in Beat. ie. The ECU cannot identify in which gear you are driving. So I am wondering how there is a gear selection specific change in the performance of the engine.
The change in performance being discussed here is only regarding the increase in torque at lower engine RPM range, not regarding the peak torque (108Nm@4400rpm). Please correct me if I am wrong. No further arguements on this please. I am working in automobile field only, but not with GM. So I do not have any supporting data/engine test results/before & after torque curves to prove this. If any of you have such facts, please share it here.
As I have mentioned earlier, I am yet to get the ECU re-map. Expecting to get it done next week during 5000kms service.
Old 30th July 2010, 21:41   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Had the ECU upgraded. I have to say I was blown away with the improvement. Not only the lag is gone, but it feels much more agile. Low end response is surely better by a huge margin. Midrange and topend wasnt fully tested. Just when you press the accelerator you can feel the pull. I will say now its surely better than Punto,Micra,Polo,Jazz,I20,Figo.
Second servicing is still a month away. They said no engine oil change is necessary since its synthetic oil. I am not sure whether I should go for it. Anyone has idea of the price of this synthetic oil.
Old 30th July 2010, 21:55   #1267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
IMHO the re-map is only for the advance in ignition timing. It has nothing to do with the transmission and gear ratios. If there is any change, then it will be visible across all the gears.
108Nm torque is the peak torque and we will be getting this torque only at a particular engine rpm. ie. 4400rpm. (note that the torque and power to be always mentioned along with the rpm). So don't expect 108Nm torque or 80.5ps power from the engine at the normal driving conditions.
Are you sure they are advancing the Ignition timing? This can lead to Knocking provided you dont use the right octane fuel!!! Though nothing abnormal was noticed.

I dont believe there will be any major change in torque curve. Since Torque curve is a steady state characteristics. The major factor here should be the transient state. I didnt observe much change in pulling power. What changed dramatically was the throttle response. Instead of linear power delivery you can feel the power available at the tap.
Old 1st August 2010, 01:09   #1268

108Nm torque is the peak torque and we will be getting this torque only at a particular engine rpm. ie. 4400rpm. (note that the torque and power to be always mentioned along with the rpm). So don't expect 108Nm torque or 80.5ps power from the engine at the normal driving conditions

Salbin, infact i just had my 5000 hrs service at pashankar, but the service supervisor there appeared totally surprised when i spoke about low pickup in second gear...... he didnt do the ecu remapping even. I took deliver of car in march 16th, can some one tell me if it requires remapping?
Old 1st August 2010, 09:31   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
My experience with a test drive of the BEAT was one of dissapointment as the test car's AC was not working and it was just 3-4 months old. I will understand dents etc on the car-how does a test drive effect the car-the sales guy made a statement as such??
Any inputs?
to your point here that TD cars are important to be maintained well, at least in terms of functional aspects of car. Dents and scratches can be overlooked even i found under body of the TD Beat kissing a low height speed breaker in our society which raised doubts about Beat's GC in my mind during the TD.
Old 1st August 2010, 16:54   #1270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somonwheels View Post
Salbin, infact i just had my 5000 hrs service at pashankar, but the service supervisor there appeared totally surprised when i spoke about low pickup in second gear...... he didnt do the ecu remapping even. I took deliver of car in march 16th, can some one tell me if it requires remapping?
I came to know that all the new Beats (recently manufactured ones) are coming with the modified ECU setting. I think GM will do the ECU setting upgrade only if the owner asks. So if you want the improvement, then ask for it. Also there is no harm in keeping the earlier version ECU settings.
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:24   #1271
BHPian

I accept that fully, as per the logic and theory you guys are referring. But the fact at least in my case, the 1st gear has become sluggish but the 2nd gear has become peppier, I couldn’t feel much difference in the other gears. Salbin, are you coming to Cochin this week? So that you can TD my beat and feel what I said. Am about to get it done this week, but if you can make it I am ready to wait for one more week. Even the SVC guys had admitted that it’s not a good setting and asked me to bring the car for another remapping.
Has anyone noticed any awkward undulations in the car while you drive alone above 90 plus? First I thought it may be because of the road conditions, but later on I felt it another road too. I maintain the recommended 32 PSI on the stock rubber. I got 40 PSI at the time of delivery and didn’t notice this for a month.
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:26   #1272
Senior - BHPian

@ sajjt I got it 36 PSI at the time of delivery and still I maintain it for good millage. I had took her couple of times above 90 but nothing felt as you mentioned. It's 2100 in the ODO. But when sat alone in the car while idling, a slight move by me (e.g. for changing the LOSRVM position) the car whole together shakes a bit. May be due to soft, gas shock absorbers. A wild guess!

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:47   #1273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
@ sajjt I got it 36 PSI at the time of delivery and still I maintain it for good millage. I had took her couple of times above 90 but nothing felt as you mentioned. It's 2100 in the ODO. But when sat alone in the car while idling, a slight move by me (e.g. for changing the LOSRVM position) the car whole together shakes a bit. May be due to soft, gas shock absorbers. A wild guess!

Cheers!

Vinu

Yes, Beat suspension is bit soft, But I was referring at the time of doing 90+ kmph speed when driving alone, I felt bit nervous due to this. It was just like a swinging effect diagonally. But when I tried with four persons on board it stays cool even at 110 kmph on the same road. Bit softer suspension can make this?
BTW, increasing the tire pressure may give you a few more kilometers but I would rather stay with the recommended PSI as the manufacturer had done enough R&D on which pressure will be the best for each car. After all am not that keen on the present mileage as the drives are very rare because of the traffic jam and pretty good road conditions in our place. I am glued to my bike for my daily commuting as it can save half an hour compared to car.
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:39   #1274
BHPian

Finally a dent on my Beat

I had a scratch to the right side of my car last week in the office car parking, now a proper dent has appeared on the lower left side of the car, i hit a low lying rod stuck on side of the road in my lane, i had parked my car on the side of the road and as i moved on 1st gear to the right it hit my car on the left with a good impact.

suggest should i get this repaired from Chevrolet Workshop or a thought occurred to me what if temporarily cover this dent with a Team- BHP sticker for now.

Since i am switching jobs currently and would be on a 11 day break post 18th Aug . so planning to get my dent job done at that time, otherwise cannot give my car for repair while i am traveling to office on weekdays currently and lots of other things to do on weekend for which again i need the car.

I am planning to get my dent repaired without claiming insurance, as i am interested in getting no claim bonus for my next year renewal, or would it be too expensive to get it repaired on my own cost? please let me know a rough estimate if any one can provide.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-02082010167.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-02082010168.jpg  

Last edited by KreativeGeek : 2nd August 2010 at 21:41.
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:46   #1275
BHPian

KreativeGeek, dont worry much. Give it to chevy authorized dealer, he wouldnt charge u much. Have you opted for cassless promise program, if yes, the touchup job would be done for free.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks