Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2010, 13:26   #1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
There is nothing prejudicial against ones observation. I felt it was claustrophobic because of the rising door glass cut. Also the handle where it is, takes up area that normally would have been filled with transparent glass. so this observation is not a criticism or prejudiced, its just a fact of life.

I have done a TD of the the vista (did not like the engine, felt underpowered and also no so flash brand image), figo (same thing here with the 1.2 engine and lack of rear power windows). Drove the Zen estillo, but was too crammed width wise and was never a fan of the MPV look. And for the record i personally found all the above three had better view of the outside (front rear and side) than the beat.

I did sit in my friends i10 a year ago and if my memory serves me right, i did like it. but as i said i am going this week to do a proper test ride.

The steering was set at the highest point possible and i still brushed the steering wheel while entering and exiting.

What i wrote was my personal experience. It seems you have already purchased the car, so good on you. hope u have a great experience with your car. But i stick by my observation so no need to put down others point of view just because it does not match yours. This is a public forum where all personal experiences are shared. The prospective buyer will read all this, take a test ride themselves and come to his/her own conclusions so no need for you to try and control what should and should not be written.

Happy motoring

I am 5'7"

I have ample leg room when i drive.

My wife is 5'2"

She sits with her legs completely stretched.

I love the vehicle, its one of the best i have driven.

If you look at the cost for veh value or 4.5L highest variant, This car is a steal.

Also do not forget for 4.5L, you do not own a Ferrari.

I have touched 160 kmph in this car on highways and you actually have to look at the speedometer to reassure yourself that you have crossed 100 !

The car is extremely smooth and stable.

The stock tires have been extremely satisfactory, and i dont think that you really need an upgrade.

I get 11 - 12 kmpl- 100% AC. I hope it will become better after the 5k service.

I still have not used the boot space (3000 kms now) so i still havent felt it small !

This car is super silent, ultra smooth and i feel like i am driving a European car.

I honestly feel that, the second gear issue is because of the fact that, the engine is so smooth and silent that you dont feel that you are in second gear. and moreover, accelaration gears are 1st and 3rd.

This is a city car, not a race car or a SUV. Its a city car.

In a city car, the criterias are -

1. Good looks

2. Comfort level, especially when you are stuck in traffic

3. Decent mileage

4. Good entertainment system.

Boot space, tire width, ultra acceleration in the 2nd gear, take second priority.

Disclaimer : These are my personal views .(Please dont bite my head for this )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
Dear Beat Owners in my opinion in the remmaped ECU GM has advanced the ignition timing which is the main cause of knocking. Two types of ECU remapping are available with the GM. One is named Regular Setting and other is named Second Gear Improvement Setting. I switched to Second Gear Improvement Setting and instantly observed improvement in low end as well as overall reponse of the car, but on uphills and on ramp I noticed knocking. I thought it could be due to the low octane/adulterated petrol, but the knocking existed even when I filled BS IV petrol from a trusted petrol pump in Ahmedabad. So I decided to revert to the original ECU Regular Setting. I got it done on Monday and the knocking has totally disappeared now. I am quite happy with the ECU Regular Setting and have decided to keep the same for future too.
what about difference in mileage ?

Did you notice any difference in mileage between the two settings ?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Your post has been edited since it contained one too many smilies. Team-BHP is viewed by people from all walks of life, and they prefer an uncluttered post protocol. We would much appreciate you restricting the smilie usage to 2 per post.

Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also, Please......avoid......posting.......like........t his. Thanks

Last edited by .anshuman : 24th September 2010 at 15:39. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Old 24th September 2010, 13:56   #1457
Joy
BHPian

@Topolino: What about new cars? What type of settings they have? How does this regular settings performs in second gear?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Joy : 24th September 2010 at 14:04.
Old 24th September 2010, 15:05   #1458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kra9 View Post
what about difference in mileage ?

Did you notice any difference in mileage between the two settings ?
Mileage with the original regular setting is better than the second gear improvement setting. With the original setting I got ~16.5 kmpl for 54% highway and 46% city driving with 70% AC ON, whereas with second gear improvement setting I got ~16 kmpl for 84% highway and 16% city driving with 60 % AC. Please see the post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2049974-post1390.html.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
@Topolino: What about new cars? What type of settings they have? How does this regular settings performs in second gear?

Thanks in advance.
The second gear performance in regular setting is quite adequate for the driving conditions here in Udaipur. Certainly, you will feel lag in Bumper to Bumper traffic.
Regarding ECU setting in new cars I will enquire and let you know.
Old 24th September 2010, 16:30   #1459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post

Thanks in advance.
Joy@ The new cars are coming with the Regular Setting and Second Gear Improvement setting is optional. Those who feel lag or need more low end torque can opt for it. One can swith from regular to improvement setting and vice-versa anytime.
Old 24th September 2010, 16:50   #1460
Joy
BHPian

Thanks Topolino. One more question, is the regular setting same as first batch initial setting or it has some improvements?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th September 2010, 00:01   #1461
BHPian

Anybody checked their BEAT's full tank capacity?

The user's manual says its 35 Lts.

As soon as I took delivery, I did a full tank and I filled around 45 Lts!

The second time I did a tank full when the fuel gauge displayed around 1/4th tank and I stopped at 32 Lts!

I don't go in for auto-cut off and fill until the fuel is visible near the neck.

Really wondering about the actual tank capacity.

Anybody else have the same issue?
Old 25th September 2010, 10:43   #1462

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post

The second time I did a tank full when the fuel gauge displayed around 1/4th tank and I stopped at 32 Lts!

I don't go in for auto-cut off and fill until the fuel is visible near the neck.

Same here, when i first did a full tank, it showed 37 liters.

filling from an almost empty tank now shows anywhere between 32 to 34 liters
Old 25th September 2010, 11:09   #1463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post

As per Beat Specs its 35lts and whenever I refill, I could only fill upto 28-30 lts with auto cutoff when the fuel low indicator blinks.

I think you must've mistaken or the pump guys have taken a ride on you at the time of first filling. If you fill up to neck level 32 lts will go and I think this is the figure afterwards

Always fill upto the auto cut off level if you need an accurate FE reading as the neck level can be faulty once there are bubbles.
Old 25th September 2010, 12:33   #1464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kra9 View Post
Same here, when i first did a full tank, it showed 37 liters.

filling from an almost empty tank now shows anywhere between 32 to 34 liters
I think you are in the right range, I managed to fill around 45Lts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
As per Beat Specs its 35lts and whenever I refill, I could only fill upto 28-30 lts with auto cutoff when the fuel low indicator blinks.
As I said, I managed to fill 32 Lts from a different bunk when the gauge displayed 1/4th tank remaining.

Quote:
I think you must've mistaken or the pump guys have taken a ride on you at the time of first filling.
I argued with the Pump owner that there is something wrong with pump and he proved that it is accurate by measuring out the fuel dispensed.

The bunk was right next to the Chevrolet showroom.

Even the sales guy from the showroom was with me and he was lost for an explanation. But he vouched for the bunk's honesty.

And the same thing happened at another pump too when I topped up again.

Quote:
Always fill upto the auto cut off level if you need an accurate FE reading as the neck level can be faulty once there are bubbles.
I don't use auto-cutoff and fill fuel slowly to let our air, until it is visible near the lid. I had tried auto-cutoff earlier and it was not accurate since the air bubble pushes back the fuel.

So I think the manual might be wrong or I must have a larger tank!

Can somebody help me please?

Last edited by KA18 : 25th September 2010 at 12:34.
Old 25th September 2010, 13:06   #1465
BHPian

KA18, I suggest you get it clarified from GM. Even the Beat website doesn't mention the fuel tank capacity.
Old 25th September 2010, 17:41   #1466
BHPian

Got my Beat back after the 6 months service (at only 1k kms) as suggested by you guys instead of delaying.

I see that the bill has entries for 'ECM remapping latest' (Rs 0) which implies that Orange auto is doing the ECU remapping even without complaints (I didn't say anything to the service guy this time).

Will drive only tomorrow or Monday, and will update on the difference :-)

Overall, my baby looks new!
Old 25th September 2010, 19:26   #1467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
KA18, I suggest you get it clarified from GM. Even the Beat website doesn't mention the fuel tank capacity.
But, does this really matters? Anyways, Please check the fuel guage by only filling up 35 litres (not up to the neck) and see if it is showing full tank or lesser
Old 26th September 2010, 08:12   #1468
BHPian

Now Beat Owners would be given free holidays from Club Mahindra. It's a different matter that these holidays are being offered during the off- season.

A unique "Mahindra & Chevy" joint venture!
Old 26th September 2010, 11:13   #1469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
Now Beat Owners would be given free holidays from Club Mahindra. It's a different matter that these holidays are being offered during the off- season.

A unique "Mahindra & Chevy" joint venture!

All beat owners. Or those buying now?
Any more details.
Old 27th September 2010, 10:07   #1470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
Joy@ The new cars are coming with the Regular Setting and Second Gear Improvement setting is optional. Those who feel lag or need more low end torque can opt for it. One can swith from regular to improvement setting and vice-versa anytime.
If you switch to the improved setting by remapping the ECU i dont think it would be possible to switch back to the original factory default. Its a car and not a cellphone where you just reformat and switch back to the original firmware. This is atleast not possible using the official method but other aftermarket methods like bluefin etc may make it possible.

When they remap the ECU they use an OBDII kit (on board diagnostics II) this is like an interface cable the connects the ECU to the Chevrolet system. The system validates the ECU version currently installed in the ECU. Only when the validation passes does the upgrade/reflashing happen. So if you already have the new system the validation would fail and no change would be made to the ECU. Just my 2 cents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks