Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2010, 11:37   #1591
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Oh yes. I remember seeing this and yes, this list did exist earlier as well, even with Sundaram when I took my car. But now they are marketing them more aggressively as they have printed colour brouchures detailing them and making it easier for people to choose. Sundaram had this list, bad did not have too many times, more of the basic ones.
Old 11th December 2010, 19:27   #1592

@GTO thanks a ton for the excellent review of the Cheavy Beat..

I have a question - I read somewhere in the thread that there is 2nd gear improvement ECU avaiable as an opiton for BEAT. I did notice some drag in the 2 and 3rd gear. When i checked with dealer, he said the 1st batch of BEAT had such problems and now all the new ones come with upgraded ECU.. Is this true?.. Im gettin my BEAT delivered next week.. Quick reply with help.. Thanks..
Old 11th December 2010, 23:57   #1593
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by above the limit View Post
@GTO thanks a ton for the excellent review of the Cheavy Beat..

I have a question - I read somewhere in the thread that there is 2nd gear improvement ECU avaiable as an opiton for BEAT. I did notice some drag in the 2 and 3rd gear. When i checked with dealer, he said the 1st batch of BEAT had such problems and now all the new ones come with upgraded ECU.. Is this true?.. Im gettin my BEAT delivered next week.. Quick reply with help.. Thanks..
I took delivery of Beat LT around Oct'10. I never upgraded my ECU, initially I felt some lethargy in 2nd gear but after 1200-1500 kms it was somewhat ok. May be I am accustomed to it. Regarding 3rd gear, I felt it is one of the best in 20-60 kmph. Also, your sales man is lying, if you look back a couple of pages, you will find that Beat comes with the same ECU setting as before and EcU up gradation is optional (even I asked the same question). Whatever has been discussed in this thread, ECU up gradation will result in top speed grunt which will be somewhat less. It will be ultimately your call.

My suggestion is that first drive your car as much as possible during the first 30 days and there after decide.

Anyway, Welcome to Beat family, it is a lovely car. You will love it just like all of us.

Last edited by Joy : 12th December 2010 at 00:03.
Old 13th December 2010, 01:12   #1594
BHPian

Got my 10000 kms service done. Finally opted for ECU remapping. The car is running nicely after the service, with better 2nd gear pickup, but nothing drastic. Somehow i feel that my 3rd gear has gained more from this remapping. Will check the FE after my remap and post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
With reference to oil change, please note that the beat does use synthetic oil. Apart from getting this validated by the service guys, if you check under the hood, you will fund a specification / recommendation decal talking of the oil type to use and it specifies it as synthetic oil. In my case, the engineer told me that it has Servo synthetic oil.

As far as changing is concerned, it is best to leave it to each individual now to take their own choice.
[quote=Topolino;2164734]GM has a tie up with Elf-Total Oil Company and all Chevrolet vehicles in India comes with factory filled Elf-Total oil. I did first oil change at 1800 km and was present in the A.S.C at the time of oil change. I have seen the specification printed on the can and it reads Total - Quartz 7000 GMO, 5W30 Synthetic Oil, 3.7 l. It is a Genuine Engine Oil specially made for Chevrolet Beat by Elf-Total. I am 100% sure about it.[/QUOTE

Really worried about oil change. I went ahead after reading all this discussion over oil change and insisted on an oil change prior to the scheduled 15000 kms. Stupid me,i was already on 10500. Could have waited till 15000.They did it all right, but i've paid much more than what everyone else has quoted. I was charged somewhere around Rs 2500 approx. That i guess brings it closer to "synthetic" category, But i remember reading in the bill that it's 5w40 and not 5w30. Will check the bill and post snaps if possible. I hope they didn't cheat me. By the way, I got Motul synthetic oil earlier for my Pulsar 180 bike, and that cost me 895 rs for 1 litre, so i guess rs 600 for synthetic oil for Beat is impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
Well according to my knowledge, this CPCOO is just like the service coupons that you have in your service manual. They will provide you with 9 service coupons and this will be given by the service center ppl. I didnt go for this, since when i bought my car it was costing 13999, so didnt opt for it thinking about the use of my car for the next 3 years. The month after that COO was given as free. So when i asked how this works, he showed me those coupons, so i am pretty sure that it should be obtained from the dealer. Check it out..
Thanks a lot man...thats exactly how it is. I was assured i'll be getting mine in 15 days.
Quote:
Hi Guys, for all those keen on accessorizing their Beat or have been waiting for genuine accessories, there is a brouchure full of them available at the dealerships. Also, the launch of the new Z-Spec beat concpt car

Refer to the post below for details

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...cessories.html
Slowpokes these nagpur guys. I am the one who told them about this ECU remapping thing way back and they were clueless then. And they were clueless now when i asked them for the brochure. In fact i had to open teambhp.com on my mobile and show them the thread with photos of the brochure to convince them that such a brochure exists. Did get the ORVM's with indicators. Will post photos with the ORVM's installed soon.
Old 13th December 2010, 10:36   #1595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by above the limit View Post
Well its exactly what it is. The cars which came out after august does not have this lag. All the new cars come with the upgraded ECU setting. So you will not find any differences in your vehicle. If you are a regular driver of maruti's or hyundai's, then only you can find this difference (i mean the old setting), else its not at all a problem for a novice. Welcome to the BEAT club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
I took delivery of Beat LT around Oct'10. I never upgraded my ECU, initially I felt some lethargy in 2nd gear but after 1200-1500 kms it was somewhat ok. May be I am accustomed to it. Regarding 3rd gear, I felt it is one of the best in 20-60 kmph. Also, your sales man is lying, if you look back a couple of pages, you will find that Beat comes with the same ECU setting as before and EcU up gradation is optional (even I asked the same question). Whatever has been discussed in this thread, ECU up gradation will result in top speed grunt which will be somewhat less. It will be ultimately your call.

My suggestion is that first drive your car as much as possible during the first 30 days and there after decide.
Well the SP is true as i said earlier. There were vehicles with old setting till Aug-10. May be 6 sigma is not maintained coz of which you might get some cars with a different setting. Other things that you have mentioned about is exactly right..

Last edited by informmaha : 13th December 2010 at 10:41.
Old 13th December 2010, 12:29   #1596
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Well the SP is true as i said earlier. There were vehicles with old setting till Aug-10. May be 6 sigma is not maintained coz of which you might get some cars with a different setting. Other things that you have mentioned about is exactly right..
Based on my previous query at Page 98-99, I mentioned the above facts.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2082448

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2084703
Old 13th December 2010, 15:17   #1597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Based on my previous query at Page 98-99, I mentioned the above facts.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2082448

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2084703
Well..you should have gone a page before this, that is page 97. The statements are quite confusing, means i see it in a different way of what the "general setting" is..ok no issues..Well i got the info from a reputed source, so posted it..not intended to comment on your post..

Last edited by informmaha : 13th December 2010 at 15:20.
Old 13th December 2010, 23:59   #1598
BANNED

We have been thinking of replacing our humble Matiz, called Sundaram Motors for a BEAT TD.

The car came home last weekend, things looked promising.

But somehow the car did not invoke the kind of feeling we were looking for. This car was purely meant for the useage of my DAD and my Sister-In-Law. Both of them found it a bit lower in driving comfort compared to the Matiz.

We drove the car within our locality, it was OK , but had a lot of engine noise(Our Matiz is silent) we took it on the long stretch, still inspite of having 80 horses under its hood, we did not find the "Rush" we were looking for. Suspension is good enough, but the odometer is very very odd, looks like a DIY using a Bike's console.

Must appreciate the Sundaram Motors guys for responding quickly and their friendly attitude.

So the Beat did not Beat any new tunes, and a find for the Matiz replacement is still ON.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag_1992.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag_1994.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag_1995.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag_1996.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag_1998.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag_2000.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag_1999.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 14th December 2010, 01:32   #1599
Senior - BHPian

Hmm @Pawan. I am quite surprised. The Beat is very silent, both during idling as well as when driving. And it is really one of the most responsive engines I have seen till date.

Probably the TD car has been abused gloriously.
Old 14th December 2010, 09:45   #1600
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm @Pawan. I am quite surprised. The Beat is very silent, both during idling as well as when driving. And it is really one of the most responsive engines I have seen till date.

Probably the TD car has been abused gloriously.
Yup me too surprised with the quote of pawan.. i do agree the driving position, but till the time i drove spark. Sparks positioning is perfect for driving (same as matiz) but after changing over to beat after 10 hrs of drive in spark, i felt that the seat height in beat was perfect and felt as thought i am sitting on top of something

As you said may be the TD car might be ripped off to its maximum, but still could not figure out about the engine noise. When i test drove i found the car to be in perfect shape, that was in june though. My car is very zippy and donno how you didnt have power in that vehicle.
Old 14th December 2010, 10:38   #1601

Hey Pawan,

Ask your dealer to bring a well serviced vehicle. The Beat engine was as quite as my 2001 Honda vtech engine. Its sure does not have the thump but it gets better with more kms you do (This is as per my readings from this thread).. Dude, if beat is not silent you should see Nissan Micra and Volkswagen polo -U will hate it..They both run on 3 cylinder engines unlike the beat. If you want Tall boy model they you should look at Maruthi Ritz, just bought one for my cousin. Its big, spacious and more power or look at Hyundai i10. They should have what you are looking for...
Happy Hunting..
Old 14th December 2010, 10:43   #1602

Quote:
Well its exactly what it is. The cars which came out after august does not have this lag. All the new cars come with the upgraded ECU setting. So you will not find any differences in your vehicle. If you are a regular driver of maruti's or hyundai's, then only you can find this difference (i mean the old setting), else its not at all a problem for a novice. Welcome to the BEAT club.
Hey,
Thanks for the tip.. I felt the drag the moment i pushed it like my Honda or my Bro's Swift diesel. Wanted the beat because its the best for city drive.. My Honda Vtech is crazy to drive when its bumper to bumper traffic as it has the well known engine knocking problem at low end RPM.. With tons of mod, it gets even crazier..

Love the beat.. Awaiting delivery this week.. Wish my Honda had such beautiful interiors.
Old 14th December 2010, 11:40   #1603
Joy
BHPian

@Pawan: I am also surprised by your comment on engine noise. During my initial days, I accidentally cranked my keys 2-3 times while the engine was already running. Even at 140 kmph, the car was very silent.

Also, except for 2nd gear, I found the car to be very responsive. Regarding driving position, yes it is a bit low but after a few days one gets accustomed to it.

I too agree with the others that the your test vehicle was not in perfect shape.
Old 14th December 2010, 15:53   #1604
BHPian

Finally updating with pics .
Here are the ORVM with indicators pics
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc02681.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc02683.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc02684.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc02690.jpg  

Old 14th December 2010, 16:00   #1605
BHPian

Forgot to mention, I was charged exactly 2066 for the engine oil, and not 2500 as i mentioned in my last post. But was horrified after reaching home when i checked my bill/receipt again. It mentioned 5w40 diesel engine oil..went back in a hurry to the service centre to confirm. Thankfully they have put the same quartz engine oil referred to by other ppl in the thread. The "diesel" bit gave me a scare as i m not very aware of what harm could happen if its put. By the way, the service centre ppl said the same oil is used in Beat , cruz and Captiva. Is that correct ?
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc02691.jpg  

Last edited by akshatverma1979 : 14th December 2010 at 16:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks