Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2011, 21:45   #1651
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Well I guess I'm used to seeing engine changes and upgrades made on models not less than 2-3 years old. Just about one year after launch is new to me. Well, I hope my non-local made engine proves to be better than the new one.
Old 29th January 2011, 15:33   #1652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Well I guess I'm used to seeing engine changes and upgrades made on models not less than 2-3 years old. Just about one year after launch is new to me. Well, I hope my non-local made engine proves to be better than the new one.

suppose we have to accept the inevitable . The local made engine will come with its own set of problems in the initial days. The thing to look forward to is the gas version and the diesel version as this will put the beat into the desirable engine options category.
Old 29th January 2011, 16:11   #1653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
suppose we have to accept the inevitable . The local made engine will come with its own set of problems in the initial days. The thing to look forward to is the gas version and the diesel version as this will put the beat into the desirable engine options category.
+1 to that, the current fuel prices drives me crazy just because I bought a petrol car. I hope GM will come forward with a retro fit LPG kit for the initial batches. After market kits are not reliable and refined am very keen on GM's future plans on LPG christening as thats the only hope to deal with the increasing fuel prices.
Old 29th January 2011, 20:28   #1654
BHPian

Sorry for going offtopic, but as I see it, petrol prices are heading towards Rs80 soon ( in about 6-7 months), based on crude price forecasts. At that price, I'm going to be looking at selling off my car or leaving it in the cold storage paying EMIs on it. I should have bought a diesel :(
Old 31st January 2011, 10:59   #1655
BHPian

Lot of discussion has been going on the new Smartech II Engine of Beat.
The Features of New SMARTECH II Engine are:
- Vacuum activated Port deactivation that improves low-end torque and provides refined idling for improved fuel economy in city
- 16 valve DOHC engine that produces 80.5PS of power and 108Nm of torque
- Inverted tooth timing chain design makes for silent operation
- Aluminium alloy engine head which is lighter and aids cooling
- Pistons are lighter and coated with anti-friction material
- Fractured type connecting rod is lighter and operates better
- Crankshaft is equipped with 8 balancer shafts
- Epoxy coated cylinder block is anti-corrosive
- Stainless steel core plugs..
The existing engine have all these features, there is no difference in the existing engine and the new engine. The only difference is that the engine now gets new tunning (New ECM Setting) suitable for Indian Driving Conditions. I suppose all the existing owners can also opt for this New ECM Setting.
Old 31st January 2011, 11:43   #1656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
A great way to depreciate my car's resale value, Chevy is coming out with a new and "improved" engine for the Beat (among other cars): Breaking: Chevrolet Beat to come with

Sometimes I feel I bought my car at a very wrong time: high fuel prices, not my color of choice (would have liked the gray), bought at a higher price even without the 3 year maintenance plan and now the engine upgrade..

Anybody dig a 6 month old Black BEAT ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
Ouch! this hurts the resale quiet heavily! And I have the same grouse of no maintanence free plan and the grey!

I wish GM had waited another year at least! an engine upgrade just after a year of launch! this sucks! Hopefully GM wont tinker on the look bit~!
Don't get disheartened. With all due respect to GM Marketing, I do not think "New Engine" is so much differentiated with Old Engine. It might just turn out to be a marketing gimmick for Chevy's changes to transmission and engine to tackle the pickup issue.

If only someone can post the snaps of Old Engine and New engine, it would prove beneficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
The existing engine have all these features, there is no difference in the existing engine and the new engine. The only difference is that the engine now gets new tunning (New ECM Setting) suitable for Indian Driving Conditions. I suppose all the existing owners can also opt for this New ECM Setting.

Absolutely, same thoughts here. Current/Old Customers should feel happy, they have been using world Class "Imported Engines" which are being used to European countries as well.

For one, I Remember the Yamaha RX100 Byke. The old pre-1988 manufactured bykes which came with Imported Engine always used to be sold at higher prices in second hand markets than the one fitted with locally manufactured engines. Simply because having an imported engine gave it higher credentials.

Someone pls post the snaps of two engines on the forum?

Last edited by anu21v : 31st January 2011 at 11:53.
Old 31st January 2011, 11:59   #1657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
+1 to that, the current fuel prices drives me crazy just because I bought a petrol car. I hope GM will come forward with a retro fit LPG kit for the initial batches. After market kits are not reliable and refined am very keen on GM's future plans on LPG christening as thats the only hope to deal with the increasing fuel prices.
I still like Petrol as an Option. Simply because if the petrol/Diesel prices go up too much, I can always upgrade my petrol vehicle to CNG from an after-market fitments. I wont be able to do the same in a Diesel vehicle you see .

Just for your Information, Petrol and Diesel prices are more directly related to Crude prices while CNG is not. Hence, the prices of CNG wont move in same directions and as fast as Petro/Diesel.
Old 1st February 2011, 14:37   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
I still like Petrol as an Option. Simply because if the petrol/Diesel prices go up too much, I can always upgrade my petrol vehicle to CNG from an after-market fitments. I wont be able to do the same in a Diesel vehicle you see .

Just for your Information, Petrol and Diesel prices are more directly related to Crude prices while CNG is not. Hence, the prices of CNG wont move in same directions and as fast as Petro/Diesel.
Diesel is a better option if you consider all aspects of the petrol(with LPG / CNG) vs diesel: my 2 bits are below:

upgrading to CNG will cost around 40k(approx)

fuel efficiency on CNG is lesser than what you get on petrol. Power loss is obvious.

Diesel engines of today are very drivable and have superior efficiency compared to a similar specced petrol engine.

and upgrade to CNG will also reduce the resalablity of the vehicle.

plus you get to keep you boot space in diesel.

Last edited by Mafia : 1st February 2011 at 14:38.
Old 1st February 2011, 16:37   #1659
BHPian

News: The new BEATs with the S-TECH 2 engines are also coming with the music system with the full USB port.

I just got mine delivered this morning and the sales guy told me that I was the first one to get the system with the full USB port and this change was being done in the BEATs manufactured in Jan 2011 onwards.

Here is a picture of my car's system
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-img00242201102011137.jpg  

Old 1st February 2011, 21:25   #1660
BHPian

At last they have the regular USB port. No more hunting for converter cables for Beat owners from now. They should have had this in the first place. Wondering what made them go with the mini USB earlier.
Anyway better late than never!
@rsramkee, Congrats on your new ride! Drive safe

Last edited by Auto freak : 1st February 2011 at 21:30.
Old 1st February 2011, 21:50   #1661
BHPian

The provison of a regualar USB port is a welcome and much needed change. However I feel that the inclusion of Bluetooth system, steering mounted audio controls and better sounding speakers would have made it a complete package. Hope GM provides these goodies soon.
Old 1st February 2011, 22:24   #1662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Don't get disheartened. With all due respect to GM Marketing, I do not think "New Engine" is so much differentiated with Old Engine.

Absolutely, same thoughts here. Current/Old Customers should feel happy, they have been using world Class "Imported Engines" which are being used to European countries as well.
Thanks for the kind words. I really do hope that ^ is the case.
Old 2nd February 2011, 01:00   #1663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
At last they have the regular USB port. No more hunting for converter cables for Beat owners from now. They should have had this in the first place. Wondering what made them go with the mini USB earlier.
Anyway better late than never!
@rsramkee, Congrats on your new ride! Drive safe
Thanks.

I agree. I in fact even ordered the converter cable from eBay and had it delivered before my car was delivered so that I could test the system before taking delivery. Now I dont need it.

The sales guy did mention a lot of people were asking for these cables from the dealer/service center. So a lot of BEAT owners must still be wondering how to use the USB port they got.

What I also noticed is that the port did not work when I hooked up my blackberry to it. I have songs on my 8520 and hoped to play them but the phone did not even detect the connection properly and only said the port I am connected to was not good enough to charge the phone. Maybe its a blackberry thing. I will try a simple USB drive and I hope that should work.
Old 2nd February 2011, 01:31   #1664
Senior - BHPian

I am not to concerned about the new local engine, but the full USB port is a good improvement.

Any, it does not matter to me now as I purchased the converter from E-Bay. Was so happy to get it that day. And works a charm.
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:23   #1665
BHPian

Nice to see that the regular USB port on the new stereo, wonder who approved the mini USB port for the earlier model, what were they thinking?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks