Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2011, 15:10   #1741
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Hi Beat Owners,
anu21v and Mafia has asked about a comparison between old engine and new Smartech engine in terms of performance and fuel efficiency. Performance of old engine with original ECU setting is not appreciated by most of the owners but after ECU remapping there was a significant improvement and I am of the opinion that the new Smartech II engine is the same old engine, now made in India, with new ECU setting. So performance of engine with new ECU setting (or new Smartech II engine) is better than the engine with original ECU setting. But what about fuel efficiency? Well we can compare the FE figures as well. I am running my April 2010 Beat with original ECU setting. I am happy with its performance as it is adequate for my driving style. The last three FE calculated on full tank to full tank basis for my car is as follows:
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-fe871.jpg

Just to give an idea about road conditions I am attaching a few photographs

Photo 1 : City traffic of Udaipur
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-city.jpg

Photo 2 : 4 Lane NH 8
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-nh-8.jpg

Photo 3 : Village road with pot holes
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-village-pot-holed-road.jpg

Photo 4 : Kaccha village road
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-village.jpg

Photo 5 : Beat parked in my farm
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-farm.jpg

Photo 6 : Speed & rpm at which I cruise on highway
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-speed.jpg

Photo 7 : 3/4 tank fuel consumed for 525 km (362 km Highway, 121 km village road and 42 Km City)
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-trip-525.jpg
Old 5th March 2011, 15:32   #1742
Senior - BHPian

^^^ @ Topolino Wow! that was a hell lot of info. Thanks for all those updates. Nice photographs.

I am using my May 2010 Beat with original ECU settings and completely happy with it. I never felt it is underpowered. I always drive in the right gear.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 5th March 2011, 16:38   #1743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
Hi Beat Owners,
anu21v and Mafia has asked about a comparison between old engine and new Smartech engine in terms of performance and fuel efficiency. Performance of old engine with original ECU setting is not appreciated by most of the owners but after ECU remapping there was a significant improvement and I am of the opinion that the new Smartech II engine is the same old engine, now made in India, with new ECU setting. So performance of engine with new ECU setting (or new Smartech II engine) is better than the engine with original ECU setting. But what about fuel efficiency? Well we can compare the FE figures as well. I am running my April 2010 Beat with original ECU setting. I am happy with its performance as it is adequate for my driving style. The last three FE calculated on full tank to full tank basis for my car is as follows:
Nice compilation Topolino

BOTTOMLINE

With extremely light foot. Original ECU setting- (TOPOLONO)
In city AC off - 15.5
On highway AC off - 22

With moderate foot Modified ECU settings- (OXYZEN)
In city AC off - 14 with moderate-heavy driving style. Never really go beyond 4000 RPM. With similar driving style ZEN used to return 16-17.
In Highway AC off 17 max speed 120. Some occasional stretches to 130.
With 3 people and luggage.

So if you want 20% better FE
1) Change your driving style
2) Dont get the new ECU settings.
3) Or get the LPG or upcoming diesel.

But no way I would do that. The new ECU settings is fun. Pulls right from 1200 RPM.

Last edited by oxyzen : 5th March 2011 at 16:39.
Old 6th March 2011, 10:34   #1744
BHPian

Nice pics and good info there Topolino. The remap of the ECU makes the Beat even more fun to drive. You can notice the difference the moment you leave the clutch. I am trying to get figures above 20kmpl but i do use the AC all the time.
Old 6th March 2011, 14:11   #1745
Senior - BHPian

The third ECU settings of the Beat came with the revised settings. It was owners of the first two settings that had to go in for the remap. Now the desi engine, Smartech comes with the new settings as standard, similar to the 3rd or I guess they call it the PC3 setting.

To achieve good mileage, one definitely has to change the driving style. But I must say, the Beat really tempts me to floor it on open roads. I love the way the car responds to the throttle very easily
Old 6th March 2011, 18:30   #1746
BHPian

Just picked up an LS, misty blue Beat. I think the 2nd gear is purposely geared tall to encourage a high revving driving style. The ECU mapping can never compensate for a tall gear.

Having fun driving it full throttle, but sometimes I miss the way my Versa pulls away with a 1>3 shift! Can't be done on the Beat.

Tricked out the Beat at EVO: Kenwood 6043 HU, Rockford amp, sub, 2 way rear shelf mounted 5 inchers, and 4" Kicker comps in front. Dunt esk where I got 4 inchers: they are rarer than hen's teeth today in Bangalore.

Okay, 'fessing up: I pulled them out of the Santro, when I passed it to a friend. Sathya plonked in 2 way JBLs in its place!

Sounds as good as similar config in my Versa!

I always upgrade tyres, but avoided because of the bad trade deals. As has been posted, dealers are stuck with the original set, as no other car takes these shoes. Quite pleased with original tyres.

Cool ridin'!

Last edited by proton : 6th March 2011 at 18:40. Reason: added speaker specs
Old 13th March 2011, 01:36   #1747
Senior - BHPian

I finally booked Beat 1.2LT Sand Drift Grey this week at Sundaram Motors, Chennai, delivery in next week. Got auto loan from SBI, and yes, the process was silky smooth, something that I didn't expected when I went there just for their lowest interest rates.

One information I seek from fellow BHPians, the sales person told me that they'll hand over the car to me only after registration. AFAIK the vehicle at the dealership always has a temporary registration and the owner can drive with that for a certain period of time and simultaneously apply for permanent registration (though dealer or otherwise). Please correct me if I am wrong.

I've a lot to post but this week was too hectic for me with multiple outstation trips. Next week will share further experiences with you all.
Old 13th March 2011, 08:37   #1748
Senior - BHPian

WoW! THats some real good figures. With such figures you would never need a diesel engine.

The smarttech engine is really good. I was bowled over by its sound levels and free revving nature.
Old 13th March 2011, 15:12   #1749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
Just picked up an LS, misty blue Beat. I think the 2nd gear is purposely geared tall to encourage a high revving driving style. The ECU mapping can never compensate for a tall gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I finally booked Beat 1.2LT Sand Drift Grey this week at Sundaram Motors, Chennai, delivery in next week. Got auto loan from SBI, and yes, the process was silky smooth, something that I didn't expected when I went there just for their lowest interest rates.

Congrats on the buy both of you, kindly share with us the pictures and the driving experience! Happy Revving!
Old 22nd March 2011, 22:16   #1750
Joy
BHPian

Guys, anybody faced with this kind of problem. I was out of station for around 30 days, during which my car was not started. Yesterday, I returned and due to some prior engagement I could not check the car. Today evening, when I went with my son to get a spin on my car, my car is totally off (by off, I mean no electrical connections). Nothing including my central locking is not working. Can anybody help me out? Please, it's urgent (what to do?).
Old 22nd March 2011, 22:20   #1751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Guys, anybody faced with this kind of problem. I was out of station for around 30 days, during which my car was not started. Yesterday, I returned and due to some prior engagement I could not check the car. Today evening, when I went with my son to get a spin on my car, my car is totally off (by off, I mean no electrical connections). Nothing including my central locking is not working. Can anybody help me out? Please, it's urgent (what to do?).

Sorry to hear about this, I know what agony you might be in. I've not faced such a situation or seen one in real life but I can suggest something. Open the hood and check the battery volatge with a meter if you have one or some device which runs on 12V... Chances are your battery is dead and needs a full charge
Old 22nd March 2011, 22:35   #1752
Joy
BHPian

Sorry, alstonlobo., I don't have any such equipment. Plus, could you elaborate some more.

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:05   #1753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Sorry, alstonlobo., I don't have any such equipment. Plus, could you elaborate some more.

Thanks in advance.

Its a simple meter which tells the voltage of the battery.Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-battery_test.jpg

I too do not have this meter. My local scooter mechanic has this little gadget. You can get hold of this device from any mechanic or a car/inverter battery outlet just for the purpose of testing. If it shows your battery has 12V then your battery should be fine or else its weak or dead.

Additionally I would suggest you to jump start your car and run it for an hour at least.

Jump start (vehicle) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But most of all, its best you get the battery charged for 24 hrs at an outlet.
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:05   #1754
Joy
BHPian

Please, please, can anybody share some experience or rather what to do in these circumstances?

P.S.: Sorry Mods, for back to back posting. I am really tensed. Hope you understand.
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:06   #1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprodigy View Post
thanks everyone. I'm also looking for that USB converter I wish Chevy had provided it with the car or as a part of the accessories I won't mind paying for it. I should be able to get this from a local comp shop.
congrats to da.maulik, redlaw, quadmaniac, azharace and others (sorry if i missed any one) for being the proud owner of a great hatch. The true value for money car and true fun to drive.
Also chek out the music system it has lot of soft features I love it may change the speakers later but as of now they are too good with Jagjit Singh Live concert Gazals playing only in the rear two you feel as if you are in the concert and the music also cuts the outside noise.
You can get the adapter from ebay. The best seller:
eBay India: USB Adapter Connector for Chevrolet Beat Music System (item 330542926440 end time 23-Mar-2011 23:32:18 IST)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks