Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2011, 10:45   #1816
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

What I don't understand is why spend all that money in RnD and try and make a 4 pot successful motor a 3 pot. why not just try and bring down the cost of the 4 pot without compromising on quality, and 3 pots are supposed to be a little rough at ideal any ways, don't you think it'll be more so with Diesel?
Old 10th April 2011, 17:29   #1817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
What I don't understand is why spend all that money in RnD and try and make a 4 pot successful motor a 3 pot. why not just try and bring down the cost of the 4 pot without compromising on quality, and 3 pots are supposed to be a little rough at ideal any ways, don't you think it'll be more so with Diesel?
GM has done it for Fuel Efficiency. Beat Diesel is going to be the most Fuel Efficient Car in the country, FE would be more than 25 kmpl.
Old 13th April 2011, 23:26   #1818
Senior - BHPian

@Sajjt, I had also written about my experience where I found the front bumper to be too low to the ground and that the only part that is in such close proximity and makes going over speed breakers, pot holes and so on a night mare, if you are not careful

I got a few scratches on the under side of the bumper as well. So to counter that, I bought a pack of body side moulding. Around 800 for a set of 4, and stuck 2 under the bumper for safety. Though we avoid going fast over any bumps, it is there as an added protection
Old 15th April 2011, 12:32   #1819
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Dreamcatcher won't the additional side mouldings stuck below the bumpers reduce clearance even more and increase the incidence of such contacts even more?

Didn't quite get the logic therein?
Old 16th April 2011, 08:48   #1820

Hello everyone..

Just curious to know if a Pocket Hard Disc can be plugged into the Beat music system..?
I tried plugging in my 2 HDDs.. Both dint work... May be its because I have partitioned both the HDDs.
Can some one confirm if and unpartitioned HDD (250GB or 500GB) works on the Stereo system.

Thanks
Old 16th April 2011, 13:58   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragiccomic View Post
Hello everyone..
Just curious to know if a Pocket Hard Disc can be plugged into the Beat music system..?
I tried plugging in my 2 HDDs.. Both dint work... May be its because I have partitioned both the HDDs.
Can some one confirm if and unpartitioned HDD (250GB or 500GB) works on the Stereo system.
Thanks
Even me too checked it with my 500GB 2.5" Seagate.
The HDD was getting on and off continuously. It clearly means the power from the HU USB is not sufficient to power-up the HDD. So disconnected it immediately to avoid damage to the HDD.
Old 16th April 2011, 21:44   #1822
BHPian

My Beat just clocked past 10,000 kms yesterday in around six and half months. Time for the 3rd free service. I wanted to know what additional/preventive/precautionary work needs to be done at the 3rd service and what all is done by "default" at the A**.

Please pour in your valuable inputs.
Old 16th April 2011, 23:44   #1823
Senior - BHPian

@ACM. Basically, the bumper clearance is low. So it was more susceptible to scrapes. Though now, our driving style has factored this in and it does not scrape anymore, when we use this car

Now, initially though it was a challenge, to get used to judging the GC on the low bumper. So i explored if there was some kind of a guard or plate that would prevent scratches, in the event if it bottoming out. But didnt find anything good and what I did find, made the GC even worse. So the next option I figured was to prevent scratches, and pasted the thin body side mouldings under the bumper. So even if it bottoms, there wont be scratches. And it does not affect GC at all. It is just about a CM in thickness and cannot be made out at all. Will attach pics. The main obj was to prevent scratches
Old 17th April 2011, 11:27   #1824
BHPian

Engine Specs of Beat Diesel according to CarBlogIndia

Small 1 Litre Engine
3 Cylinder light weight engine
Max Torque of 140Nm @ 1750 RPM
Low-end peak torque of 100 Nm @1250 Nm
Best-in-class fuel efficiency and performance for its engine size
Engine block made of Iron
Cylinder head of Aluminium
DOCH – Dual Overhead Cam Shaft
Lifetime maintenance-free timing chain
Centrifugal blowby separator filter for lower oil consumption
Low-noise timing gears
Balancer shaft for state-of-the-art NVH
Precisely sized waste-gated turbocharger

Here is the link

Chevrolet Beat Diesel Specifications of Engine - 1 Liter Turbocharged Diesel Engine
Old 17th April 2011, 16:35   #1825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
@ACM. Basically, the bumper clearance is low. So it was more susceptible to scrapes. Though now, our driving style has factored this in and it does not scrape anymore, when we use this car

Now, initially though it was a challenge, to get used to judging the GC on the low bumper. So i explored if there was some kind of a guard or plate that would prevent scratches, in the event if it bottoming out. But didnt find anything good and what I did find, made the GC even worse. So the next option I figured was to prevent scratches, and pasted the thin body side mouldings under the bumper. So even if it bottoms, there wont be scratches. And it does not affect GC at all. It is just about a CM in thickness and cannot be made out at all. Will attach pics. The main obj was to prevent scratches
nice idea and would love to see some pics of installation but will it be suffice to take care of the breaking of screw holding positions? Mine already 2 tabs are broken, only two is left.
Old 20th April 2011, 16:04   #1826

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Even me too checked it with my 500GB 2.5" Seagate.
The HDD was getting on and off continuously. It clearly means the power from the HU USB is not sufficient to power-up the HDD. So disconnected it immediately to avoid damage to the HDD.
Yup. The HDD doesnt get enough power supply. Hence The HDDs dont work.
So back to the pen drive. Thanks for the update though.
Old 20th April 2011, 18:51   #1827
Senior - BHPian

@ salbin Do you have Y cable for External Drive or separate power cable? If so plug one to the HDD-HU port and other to the HDD-USB charging port in 12V socket (Buy one from ebay)
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc02791_637925638_large.jpg

Hope this will solve the voltage issue.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 20th April 2011, 22:04   #1828
BHPian

Vinu, normal 2.5" hard disks have only one USB interface which is meant for data and powering the hard disk.

Its the 3.5" hard disks have separate power socket and USB is dedicated to data transfer and power socket will not be USB on these HDDs.
Old 21st April 2011, 17:37   #1829
Senior - BHPian

^^ My 2.5" has got two cables. One for HDD - USB (most case this works if we are using newer computers/devices-USB 2.0 port). Then other for additional power HDD- second USB port (if required).

You can buy a Y cable to solve the power issue.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-usbycable.jpg

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 21st April 2011, 21:57   #1830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
^^ My 2.5" has got two cables. One for HDD - USB (most case this works if we are using newer computers/devices-USB 2.0 port). Then other for additional power HDD- second USB port (if required).
I still dont understand the use of second usb.

Most Viewed