Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 15:58   #2011
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
The data quoted by me are from trusted source.
Once I did a fuel efficiency test and drove Beat for 583 km out of which about 70% was Highway driving and 30 % City driving and have taken the photographs as soon as the tank emptied to the 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 marks. Total fuel consumption was 26.7 l, FE ~ 21.84 kmpl. The whole drive was without AC.

Trip meter set to 0 after full tank.
Attachment 604641
3/4 tank mark
Attachment 604635
1/2 tank mark
Attachment 604636
1/4 tank mark
Attachment 604637
photograph taken as soon as the 4th bar disappeared
Attachment 604638

One more thing I would like to say whenever I filled the petrol, after the warning lamp statred blinking, the tank never took up more than 31 litres.
My car never read like this.It hardly reads 310 with warning light yellow
Old 5th September 2011, 16:04   #2012
BHPian

Thanks for the info Topolino, now this makes this case more interesting. How can i check the authenticity of the petrol pump?

You said that when the low fuel lamp has glown, Beat has never taken more than 31 liters, which is sensible.

I have done these tests quite a lot of times recently and have observed what i have without much variation.

Do you advise me to get things checked?

When does the low fuel plug get illuminated, as in with how many bars remaining?

The pic was removed when 3 bars were remaining, i filled it with 2 bars remaining at 560 kms on the ODO but surprisingly the low fuel light was not illuminated.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-img_07861.jpg  

Last edited by Mr.Beat : 5th September 2011 at 16:09.
Old 5th September 2011, 16:29   #2013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Do you advise me to get things checked?
I wolud suggest you to do the follwing tests next time you fill from the pump just to ensure that you are getting right quantity and quality of petrol.

1. You can check quality of petrol with the filter paper test: Ask the manager of the pump to provide you a white filter paper. Let two to three drops from the nozzle to fall on the filter paper and allow two minutes for the petrol to evaporate. If the petrol evaporates without leaving any stain on the filter paper, the petrol can be considered to be good.

2. You can check density of petrol with the help of hydrometer and thermometer: This is a very simple test and takes approximately 5 minutes. Ask the manager of the pump to provide you fuel in a glass jar, a hydrometer and a thermometer. Immerse the hydrometer in the fuel jar and note the reading. Then, immerse the thermometer in the fuel jar, without touching the walls of the jar, and note the reading. Then, with the help of a conversion chart available with the dealer, convert the density to 15 degree C and compare it with the recorded density/reference density from the density register maintained by the dealer. If the variation between the observed density and recorded/ reference density is within + 0.0030, then the fuel density can be considered to be correct. If the difference is more than + 0.0030, then it indicates possibility of adulteration.

3. You can check the correctness of quantity with the help of Measuring Can: Ask the petrol pump manager to provide the mandatory 5 litre calibrated Measuring Can. This Can is standardized by the state government's weight & measure department and are suppose to hold 5 litres of liquid up to the specified level (the liquid should fill up to the small hole near the neck of the can). The manager should rest the can on a level surface, reset the dispensing machine to zero and then pour petrol in the Can. Ideally, the petrol should fill up to the hole near the neck of the Can when the display shows that five litres has been dispensed. The regulation, allows a variation of +/- 15 ml in every 5 litres owing to the mechanical nature of dispensing. This means reading up to 5.01 or 4.99 would be considered within the specified limits.

If you find adulteration or incorrect quantity you can call and report to the Local Sales Officer of the Oil Company and also District Supply Officer.

Every customer has the right to check the correctness of quality and quantity of the fuel he/she buy. As per regulations Pump Dealer has to provide the customer all the equipments required for conducting tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
When does the low fuel plug get illuminated, as in with how many bars remaining?
Low fuel warning lamp starts glowing when only one bar is left and the bar too starts blinking.
Topolino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 16:59   #2014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
Low fuel warning lamp starts glowing when only one bar is left and the bar too starts blinking.
Thanks for that information Topolino.

This time, i will not pill petrol unless the low fuel indicator plug starts glowing, then take it to the nearest petrol pump and find out if they fill more than 35 litres?

Will also ask the manager about the test. Lets see how accountable they can be.
Old 5th September 2011, 20:23   #2015
BHPian

news update..the rare of the rare happened..

got a july 2011 car which was the latest in the lot that came in today.
coincidentally (luckily) was white too!!
the car i got before was taken back and seems will be used for test drive at one of the showrooms!!!(dont know truth about it)
and weirdly,they gave me extra free accessories (guess they dint want me to point the truth to other beat owners from the dealership)

all this was done by complains to GM helpline,dealership managers and GM state complaint cell..and did have to pay for TP registration twice!!

will be putting the accessories and getting the permanent registration tomorrow.
Old 5th September 2011, 21:16   #2016
BHPian

@Salbin, Congrats on the sub!!! Get the pictures coming soon!
Also tell us how the sound has improved. You must be enjoying the thump!
Old 5th September 2011, 23:14   #2017
BHPian

@ariendj:
Congratulations.
You are the luckiest man!
I never thought GM will replace the car.
Generally other popular car companies will not do this once the car is invoiced.
I think GM has become more customer centric.
BTW, did you finalized the alloys design??

@alstonlobo, Auto freak:
Definitely I am enjoying the thump!!
Here comes the pics of my Infinity Basslink amplified sub set-up.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00217.jpg
The pack contains all the wires except for the power wire and fuse.
Horizontal and vertical mounting are possible. Supplied with both the set of mounting brackets.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00216.jpg
It is fixed on the LH side of the boot. The spare wheel is slightly offset towards the RH side. So the space is just enough to fix the Basslink.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00219.jpg
This will give an idea about the space consumed.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00218.jpg
Pic from inside:
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00220.jpg
A closer view:
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00221.jpg
A 11" x 18" wooden plank was made and fixed to the boot. Basslink mounting brackets mounted to the wooden plank.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00222.jpg
This will give an idea about the space left-out on the other side. The system has a 10" subwoofer and a 10" passive radiator on the other side. The technology is different from the bass reflex type enclosures(with vent holes). So the enclosure is air tight to drive the passive radiators.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00224.jpg
The amp rating is is 200W rms. It has got controls for the Gain, Cross-over and Bass boost. Cooling fins on the amplifier side.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00226.jpg
Seats folded flat..
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00227.jpg
This will give an idea about the space between the seat and the rear body panel. Fits perfectly without touching on either sides.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00229.jpg
There is a wired remote bass level control knob. I have not fixed it in the dash. Will do it later only if necessary.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00230.jpg
Another view with parcel tray.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00232.jpg
Fuse kept closer to the battery. The wiring is very simple - Only power wire is drawn from the front. Since it got auto on/off feature with speaker level inputs, connecting to any OE system is very simple. This was one of the reason for selecting basslink. I can easily remove this myself and use for my next car upgrade.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00231.jpg
The set-up was done from Sachin's Auto Shop, Koramangala. It was a nice experience dealing with them.
salbin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 02:08   #2018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj
news update..the rare of the rare happened..

got a july 2011 car which was the latest in the lot that came in today.
coincidentally (luckily) was white too!!
the car i got before was taken back and seems will be used for test drive at one of the showrooms!!!(dont know truth about it)
and weirdly,they gave me extra free accessories (guess they dint want me to point the truth to other beat owners from the dealership)

all this was done by complains to GM helpline,dealership managers and GM state complaint cell..and did have to pay for TP registration twice!!

will be putting the accessories and getting the permanent registration tomorrow.
well-done. good you didn't let em go!
Old 6th September 2011, 02:26   #2019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino
Here are the data on fuel meter reading and corresponding litres of petrol in fuel tank.
Full Tank (16 bars) ~ 35 l
3/4 Tank (12 bars) ~ 26.9 l
1/2 Tank (8 bars) ~ 18.4 l
1/4 Tank (4 bars) ~ 10.2 l
Warning Lamp (1 blinking bar) ~ 4.3 l
Empty (no bar) ~ 2 l

Even then you should not accept an October 2010 car in August 2011.
Dear topolino

Thank you so much for detailed explanation and further advice on fuel quality etc.

Can you also let us know how you manage to get+ 20kmpl. Like your driving style (acceleration, breaking,top speed, cruise already, overtake gear) , location, traffic etc. curious because I have tried jokes a/c too but couldn't breach 18 yet.
Old 6th September 2011, 09:43   #2020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post

@alstonlobo, Auto freak:
Definitely I am enjoying the thump!!
The set-up was done from Sachin's Auto Shop, Koramangala. It was a nice experience dealing with them.

Salbin you are a lucky man and I am jealous!

I am really amazed about the practicality of boot space you have managed to save. Makes me contemplate on swapping my sub with yours

Good to know you are enjoying the setup, all the best and enjoy the music!!
Old 6th September 2011, 10:03   #2021
BHPian

@Salbin, that's an awesome setup you ve got now! Amazing utilization of space! You are making me drool over the sub! I tend to be happy with the sound quality from my sony xplod 6x9 at the rear and the new Boston 4" at front.. But still can't stop drooling over your sub! Can you get us an audition video please??

My beat crossed 20k km over the last weekend and going good
Finally got tints for the car!
Sides and rear: 3M 35%
Front: Autographix 75%
planning for custom seat covers next. Mostly black n red combo from Gsport. Now Salbin is getting me think seriously about the sub!
Old 6th September 2011, 14:33   #2022
BHPian

Salbin, congrats on your new ICE upgrade how much was the damage for the Basslink? Hope you are enjoying the thump from the boot.

BTW, is there any rattling when the sub is firing? In high volumes my hatch door is rattling with the thump Need some damping

Exactly this is what I've done when I upgraded the ICE setup, its the best option for saving the cramped boot space.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-pa210121.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-pa210122.jpg
Old 6th September 2011, 16:53   #2023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkeron View Post
Can you also let us know how you manage to get+ 20kmpl. Like your driving style (acceleration, breaking,top speed, cruise already, overtake gear) , location, traffic etc. curious because I have tried jokes a/c too but couldn't breach 18 yet.
Dear rawkeron,
Here I am mentioning the general points to be kept in mind for better FE.
- Park your car properly. Park your car under the shade of a building or a tree whenever possible. Parking in the shade will keep the inside of your vehicle cooler, which can help you minimize use of air conditioning.
- Fill Petrol during the coolest time of the day and fill from trusted petrol pump. Don't forget to do the fuel quality and quantity tests.
- Ensure the tyres are at the correct pressure and wheel alignment is correctly adjusted.
- Observe proper maintenance. Regularly servicing of car ensure best performance. A clogged up air filter can result in low FE. Dirty oil can cause friction and can reduce mileage.
- Minimise unnecessary weight in the car. Extra weight reduces mileage.
- Don’t start the vehicle until you’re settled in: seat, seatbelt & mirrors adjusted; passengers settled in as well.
- Plan your journey. Avoid congested roads that are under construction.
- Avoid driving, if possible, in rains as water on roads increase rolling resistance. - Avoid driving if possible during the peak temperatures of the day when use of the air conditioner is required.
- Change your driving habits. Leave early to avoid traveling during peak hours. Also, combine small trips and household tasks. Every time cold engine is started more fuel is burnt.
- Don’t idle your engine to warm it. An idling engine gets zero km per litre. Start to drive immediately. It’s a more efficient way to warm the engine and entire drive train, including tyres.
- Don’t start the engine until there’s actually an opportunity to start driving: e.g. a gap in traffic when exiting a driveway or parking space. Accelerate gently from stand still at traffic lights etc. Drive smoothly in traffic. Look ahead to maintain appropriate distances and speeds to avoid heavy braking and acceleration. Speeding up to the car in front and then applying the brakes wastes fuel.
- Slow gently into corners if required then exit on a light throttle. Shift gears sensibly. Shift up as soon as you can without lugging the engine. Always accelerate in a smooth movement and travel in the highest gear possible.
- Air conditioning requires a lot of power. Use it sparingly. Driving at city speeds, you’ll save fuel by using your flow through vents and opening windows.
- Drive with windows up at higher speeds to minimize aerodynamic drag. A constant 90 km/h is better than drifting between 80 km/h and 100 km/h. Minimise full throttle over-taking maneuvers.
- If you have no pull-through spots to choose from, reverse in when arriving, instead of driving in when warm and backing out/turning around when the vehicle is cold and fuel economy is at its worst.
- Your ability to drive efficiently depends on being able to anticipate changes in the driving environment. The way to do this is by constantly scanning well ahead in your intended path. In city driving you should know what’s happening at least 10-15 seconds ahead. On the highways, at least 30 seconds visual lead time is appropriate.
- During driving a slower paced music is more relaxing and tends to promote a more sensible driving style while also reducing stress. While fast paced music can make a driver more impatient, more aggressive and likely to speed.
I am sure you can increase FE upto 20% by follwing the above tips.
Old 6th September 2011, 21:39   #2024
BHPian

Guys,does beat comes under premium Hatch?If no,what is the features premium hatch has?
Is it the ones with sedan of same model?

Last edited by white-rabbit : 6th September 2011 at 21:43.
Old 6th September 2011, 22:14   #2025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Salbin you are a lucky man and I am jealous!
I am really amazed about the practicality of boot space you have managed to save. Makes me contemplate on swapping my sub with yours
Good to know you are enjoying the setup, all the best and enjoy the music!!
I should thank you first.. because the concern of boot getting fully occupied by the sub enclosure came to my mind after seeing the pics of your subwoofer set-up in the ICE thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
@Salbin, that's an awesome setup you ve got now! Amazing utilization of space! You are making me drool over the sub! I tend to be happy with the sound quality from my sony xplod 6x9 at the rear and the new Boston 4" at front.. But still can't stop drooling over your sub! Can you get us an audition video please??
My beat crossed 20k km over the last weekend and going good
Finally got tints for the car!
Sides and rear: 3M 35%
Front: Autographix 75%
planning for custom seat covers next. Mostly black n red combo from Gsport. Now Salbin is getting me think seriously about the sub!
Hey.. you are invited to Bangalore for a weekend fun drive and have an audition of my set-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Salbin, congrats on your new ICE upgrade how much was the damage for the Basslink? Hope you are enjoying the thump from the boot.
BTW, is there any rattling when the sub is firing? In high volumes my hatch door is rattling with the thump Need some damping
Exactly this is what I've done when I upgraded the ICE setup, its the best option for saving the cramped boot space.
Attachment 605179
Attachment 605180
The damage was 15K including installation.
Mine doesn't rattle, may be because of the enclosure design. It gives a good tight bass compared to the bass reflex systems.
I think yours will be a vented enclosure right? Is it 12" sub?
Have you identified the source of rattle? Is it the hatch door or the plastic panel on the side of the boot?
IMO it is better to identify the source of rattle and then try correcting it. Just adding damping to every panel will be a costly affair. Since you are a DIY-er, you can try for a DIY with some kind of rubber/foam mats. I remember reading a thread in T-BHP on low cost DIY damping.

Most Viewed