Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2011, 00:18   #2296
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post

Though I have no idea on the cost of break pads, I remember (if my memory is good) from old posts of this thread, that the pollen filter costs around 1200/-. How come you got it for 450/-?
Earlier it was for 1200, now price has been revised since last couple of months. I got the pollen filter changed in Sep'11 at 450 only. Plus, not only pollen filter, prices of many parts has reduced.

Ravi
raviacc2825 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 10:35   #2297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raviacc2825 View Post
Earlier it was for 1200, now price has been revised since last couple of months. I got the pollen filter changed in Sep'11 at 450 only. Plus, not only pollen filter, prices of many parts has reduced.
Price of parts reduced? Great news, but how? When I got to see the pollen filter, was wondering why Chevrolet is charging 1.2k for this simple filter, which is held together by a paper (might be hard board) band. It felt like a 100/- part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
The difference is between 19.13(no 5th gear) and 13.13(wherever possible used 5th gear)That is a lot.Both cases no AC
I read Topolino's post.Could you please clarify.He has mentioned Mobil but not specified the grade whereas here Quartz is used.Is it one and the same?
Is the drop in FE a one off instance or does it occur regularly? If so, especially when you have been getting good FE earlier, there should be some reason attributed to the cause.

Regarding the oil change, please refer to the post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2591874. It has been identified by few owners in this thread that Total Quartz is the recommended engine oil for Beat petrol. But there are some service centers putting in costly oil (even my service center recommended a costly one and I postponed the oil change to the 10k service). Please open the link provided in that post. I am not sure of the "4B3L75" in your description. It may be the part number put by the service center for making their bill.
Old 13th December 2011, 12:00   #2298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
You can call me any time.
My earlier Santro was fitted with a toroidal tank. You are right - it is 80%.
Get every aspect verified before you go for it. Ask them to show any of the lpg converted Beat and test drive if possible.
Try to connect ELM327 with OBDScope in a Symbian phone also. Or try connecting with a laptop before you conclude anything.
Thanks mate, and will bug you once I reach there

Yes, thats what am thinking of now, will try with a Symbian app as last resort. BTW, with a lap, which app is suitable?

Quote:
Have you done a detailed cost analysis for the change over to LPG, especially when you are doing just 600 km per month? Auto LPG prices are lose to 41/- per liter as per View Prices.

Assuming an FE of 14 kmpl with petrol and 12 kmpl with LPG, in one year you will be spending -
600 km x 12 months x 70 rs per liter / 14 kmpl = 36000/- (on petrol)
and
600 km x 12 months x 41 rs per liter / 12 kmpl = 24600/- (on LPG)
Which comes to a meager 11400/- per year when you have to spend close to 35k on the conversion, making the warranty void, eating up the boot space, and adding weight to the car. Though on performance, I see a mixed review even on our forums - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...6-20-a-10.html

One another question. Since the Beat do have an LPG model, will the dealer themselves arrange for fitting an OEM kit?
Thanks for the comparo. Gas prices have come down to 39.XX after the price revision. I've taken the things like this, Beat optimum petrol & LPG is 18 and 13 respectively. Am getting an average FE of 12 so its 6Km less than the best and naturally I should expect the same fall in LPG too, I can expect max of 9 from LPG. So running cost will be 4.5 per km which is not that attractive due to the low KM commuting.

Yes, 600KM is the monthly usage, but if I get an economical option I can consider cutting down my biking days to half So that it will increase it to 1200Kms per month, the kit cost can be recovered within 2 years as we all know it will rise at any point of time.

This is how I calculated:
Savings per KM will be 1 approx so, 1200 per month X12=14400 per annum.
Kit cost is 38000.
Cost recovery period will be 38000/14400=2.64 Year.

Is'nt in the brighter side? Am I missing something?

But being its a new model there can be some issues which may pop up during this warranty period. If something happens, I will be ending up with a hole in my pocket for the manufacturing defects. So I've decided to wait for till the warranty expires so by that time if am lucky, the kit cost will also come down. Note that the MPSI system was costing around 55K 2 years back. In the mean time I will gather all possible informations on this.

BTW, earlier pollen filters were made of 2 layer of sythetic material on a plastic frame. Has it changed to paper filter and hard board frame by now? Then the price revision is a must.

Quote:
That's a good news, last time I was about to replace my filter but the price tag made me to wait and it was worth for that.
Old 13th December 2011, 14:56   #2299
BHPian

Quote:
Have you done a detailed cost analysis for the change over to LPG, especially when you are doing just 600 km per month? Auto LPG prices are lose to 41/- per liter as per View Prices.

Assuming an FE of 14 kmpl with petrol and 12 kmpl with LPG, in one year you will be spending -
600 km x 12 months x 70 rs per liter / 14 kmpl = 36000/- (on petrol)
and
600 km x 12 months x 41 rs per liter / 12 kmpl = 24600/- (on LPG)
Which comes to a meager 11400/- per year when you have to spend close to 35k on the conversion, making the warranty void, eating up the boot space, and adding weight to the car. Though on performance, I see a mixed review even on our forums - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...6-20-a-10.html

Quote:

Exactly what I am facing in my Beat, if by shivering you mean wobble (steering steers left and right by a bit but really fast) and not just vibration. My SA has told this could be due to wheel balancing and told he has corrected in my last visit to the service center. Alas, I was not able to test out if the problem is corrected, for I could not find much roads to travel speeds north of 100 kmph.
Yes.The very same thing.I felt it between 100-120km/hr.Please,when you get a chance,test it and let us know.

Quote:
Though I have no idea on the cost of break pads, I remember (if my memory is good) from old posts of this thread, that the pollen filter costs around 1200/-. How come you got it for 450/-?
My understanding is pollen filter is around 1000/-I need to replace it due to rat problem.
Old 14th December 2011, 13:07   #2300
BHPian

Quote:

Ravi
Its confirmed.
Pollen Filter price is reduced and SE said the materials remain the same.It is 400-500/-.I dont know about other parts.

Last edited by white-rabbit : 14th December 2011 at 13:10.
Old 14th December 2011, 22:53   #2301
BHPian

Thoma
Hi
Thanks for your patience and reply.The low FE was only one off.Maybe the petrol was adulterated or the filling was not proper.Before and after was alright.
regarding your oil reply it was not expensive,just 1100 something.As i mentioned in my earlier post could be 3.75 litre.Also checked with the service person and he told me that this oil is the one now recommended.
Thanks once again and regards
Old 14th December 2011, 23:56   #2302
BHPian

Quote:
Ravi
That is a good news! Good that I did not changed it during my 15K service. I washed it and put it back even though it is not supposed to be washed. No issues so far. Since the price is reduced, I may change it during the next service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Yes, thats what am thinking of now, will try with a Symbian app as last resort. BTW, with a lap, which app is suitable?.
I don't have any idea about it. BTW did you get a CD containing some softwares along with the item?? Otherwise try searching the net there are lot of software available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post

Yes.The very same thing.I felt it between 100-120km/hr.Please,when you get a chance,test it and let us know.
Just get the front wheels alone balanced from any wheel balancing center. It will cost only ~Rs.50/wheel. It is always better to do the wheel balancing at every 5000kms or whenever we feel the vibrations or when the tyre is removed from the rim for puncture repair works etc..

Good news for those who are having problem with seat height or under-thigh support -
Just make a spacer like the one in the pic and fix it under the seat. Either the total height can be adjusted or the rake can be adjusted for better thigh support. Thanks to T-BHPian b_ambat for sharing the idea.
Now I am enjoying a comfortable driving position compared to the original seat position.

This is the Spacer:
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-13122011296.jpg
Spacer attached to the mounting bolts under the seat:
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-13122011297.jpg
I tried different combinations and found that adding the spacer only in the front bolts are perfect for my seating posture:
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-13122011299.jpg

Last edited by salbin : 15th December 2011 at 00:17.
salbin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 10:27   #2303
BHPian

Great job there! Good to see the DIYer in you back in action!
I will try this out soon.
Yours looks like a standard market spec spacer
Is there any standard or spec to identify this spacer?

Quote:
Good news for those who are having problem with seat height or under-thigh support -
Just make a spacer like the one in the pic and fix it under the seat. Either the total height can be adjusted or the rake can be adjusted for better thigh support. Thanks to T-BHPian b_ambat for sharing the idea.
Now I am enjoying a comfortable driving position compared to the original seat position.

This is the Spacer:
Attachment 856427
Attachment 856428
I tried different combinations and found that adding the spacer only in the front bolts are perfect for my seating posture:
Attachment 856429
Old 15th December 2011, 11:19   #2304
BHPian

Quote:

I've tried this trick long back at the time of fixing the seat covers, but the guy at the upholstery shop was too busy for the trials. I put some plate washers instead of the single spacer and its still upder the seat. I managed to put 3 washers on the rear bolts as its bit difficult to put there due to the seat design and 6 on front bolts. Difference was slightly evident but I was not satisfied with this.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-20110305-10.36.47-medium.jpg

I've one doubt, putting the spacer only on the front bolts will give better under thigh support and some height increase too but will it be comfortable as the rear bolts are in the same height and the front end will be sloping towards rear right?

I tried this DIY in a different way. I put a 1" MS spacer (its not a spacer actually its using as hinges for MS gates) in between the rear seat frame and the bolt.

I've used something similar to this.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-carbide_bush.jpg2.jpg

It gave very comfortable but slightly forward leaned posture. The seat height and perimeter visibility was commendable. But I removed it after a few days as some of the rear passengers have started to mention it as it looked bit odd due to the slender cylinder type spacers. Am looking for a bigger cylinder which will not look odd to the frame, hard ware shops have bigger ones bit heavy, something light will be good.

Sorry have'nt taken any pics of installation, I thought I will share this on a separate thread once I complete it, so that others can also make use of this.
Old 15th December 2011, 13:47   #2305
BHPian

Quote:
That is a good news! Good that I did not changed it during my 15K service. I washed it and put it back even though it is not supposed to be washed. No issues so far. Since the price is reduced, I may change it during the next service.

I don't have any idea about it. BTW did you get a CD containing some softwares along with the item?? Otherwise try searching the net there are lot of software available.

Just get the front wheels alone balanced from any wheel balancing center. It will cost only ~Rs.50/wheel. It is always better to do the wheel balancing at every 5000kms or whenever we feel the vibrations or when the tyre is removed from the rim for puncture repair works etc..

This is the Spacer:
Attachment 856427
Attachment 856428
Attachment 856429
.I think I have to try your new seating position(may be this weekend).Thinking of doing something similar for my father's Ritz.He is having a lot of visibility issues
Old 16th December 2011, 00:19   #2306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
Great job there! Good to see the DIYer in you back in action!
I will try this out soon.
Yours looks like a standard market spec spacer
Is there any standard or spec to identify this spacer?
It is not standard item.
I made it with the help of a local machine shop guy.
Gave him a sketch and asked him to do it as per the sketch.
The height of spacer is 30mm with M8x1.25 female thread 25mm deep on one side and M8x1.25 male thread 25mm long on the other side. The spacer part is made hexagonal 24mm across flat to use spanner.
Cost Rs. 50 per piece.
salbin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 17:32   #2307
BHPian

I purchased a Chevrolet Beat LS petrol on 21st Nov from Trident Chevrolet in Bangalore. Have done only ~500 kms so far, no complaints but am facing one issue - couple of times I have accidentally stalled the car, and when I try to restart the car I get no response. The display does not come on, the hazard lights don't work either. After around 5 minutes on both the occasions, the display suddenly comes to life and I am able to start the car.

The car is dues for an inspection on 1000kms, but I will be setting up an appointment with the showroom. Does this appear to be a battery issue or wiring fault, as none of the controls in the car respond.
Old 16th December 2011, 19:38   #2308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrmchauhan View Post
I purchased a Chevrolet Beat LS petrol on 21st Nov from Trident Chevrolet in Bangalore. Have done only ~500 kms so far, no complaints but am facing one issue - couple of times I have accidentally stalled the car, and when I try to restart the car I get no response. The display does not come on, the hazard lights don't work either. After around 5 minutes on both the occasions, the display suddenly comes to life and I am able to start the car.

The car is dues for an inspection on 1000kms, but I will be setting up an appointment with the showroom. Does this appear to be a battery issue or wiring fault, as none of the controls in the car respond.
Congratulations on your first post and welcome to the forum. It looks like not a battery issue or wiring fault.What situation did you stall the car?.BTW ,you took car from Kalyan nagar trident?
Old 16th December 2011, 19:43   #2309
BHPian

Thanks!

I stalled while crawling forward in heavy traffic. Did not expect the whole electric system to go out.

Yes I got it from the Kalyan Nagar showroom.
Old 19th December 2011, 19:43   #2310
BHPian

Guys,Its been 6 days since I left my car in Kalyan nagar service centre.As I mentioned earlier,the issues were chronic left pulling and thud sound from front.Saturday they called me telling car is ready,but when I did the test drive,All the issues were persisting.Now they said they are replacing the lower arm etc.still not able to figure out what is causing left pulling.I dont know how to take it further.They are doing all trial and error on my car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks