Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2012, 14:20   #2371
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
But the drive after reseting ECU is very important.Always try driving in highway,with a speed limit of 70km/hr and less gear shifts atleast some 100km.This will make a great difference in FE figures.
Are you continually getting good FE now after the reset? My good FE after the reset seems to be short-lived! This is leading me to think that the Beat learns the fuel-trim in a not so great way. If this is the case, I am thinking of soft-resetting before each long drive

Would the Beat have given better FE if there was nothing to learn? Why has GM not come up with a better and less-variable FE for the Beat when the engine is actually capable?

Last edited by thoma : 4th January 2012 at 14:24.
Old 4th January 2012, 14:47   #2372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Are you continually getting good FE now after the reset? My good FE after the reset seems to be short-lived!
You wont belive,but I was getting the lowes FE in our forum till some days back.It was hardly 11km/L.For a full tank,car will give some 350-365 kms.

Me and Salbin(a fellow TBHPian) tried a lot and lot of stuff and finally now I am getting 17-17.5 KM/L.in other words it is running 560+ km easily for a fulltank and 100% ac.I am sure,for lesser ac,car will easily cross 600+

Please,try the things I mentioned in one of my earlier post about FE.
I learned those from my experiance.And one more thing.Driving style also makes a huge difference.

You can always call me if you need any support or we will catch up when I come to kerala.

Belive me,you can get better FE.

Quote:
Would the Beat have given better FE if there was nothing to learn? Why has GM not come up with a better and less-variable FE for the Beat when the engine is actually capable?
white-rabbit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 15:06   #2373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Belive me,you can get better FE.
I also have experience of high FE if we drive really carefully. I've even got 25 kmpl on an ultra-sedate highway drive (can't attempt again as it is too boring) before the reset.

But, can you please let us know (if you have calculated) on the FE for city rides after the soft reset. I am eager to know the city FE as my purpose on buying the Beat was for city usage and now it has turned out that she fares better (in many aspects) on the highway than inside the city.
Old 4th January 2012, 15:12   #2374
BHPian

Quote:
Still, it is a headache when the chamois cloth leaves streaks of water if not entirely dried before wiping. Because of this, in my red Beat, I prefer not to dry with a cloth at all, after the wash. The water streaking when dried and the swirl marks due to dust are far better in any metallic color. Only a cleanliness freak (no offence meant) can maintain the black to its real beauty. For others who don't care much about cleaning the car, they would be better off with a light metallic color.
I had used chamois on my grey swift and no matter how wet the surface is, it never left any mark. Its the best way to clean after wash afaik.
Old 4th January 2012, 17:23   #2375
BHPian

Quote:

Interesting!
You guys have a Beat Petrol right? If its not too much to ask, can someone explain to me what is meant by the ECU re-learning and thus reducing FE after a reset and why does this happen?

The reason I ask is because I am exactly what is written on the left between my avatar and handle.
Old 4th January 2012, 17:38   #2376
BHPian

Quote:
I also have experience of high FE if we drive really carefully. I've even got 25 kmpl on an ultra-sedate highway drive (can't attempt again as it is too boring) before the reset.

But, can you please let us know (if you have calculated) on the FE for city rides after the soft reset. I am eager to know the city FE as my purpose on buying the Beat was for city usage and now it has turned out that she fares better (in many aspects) on the highway than inside the city.
All my figures include mostly city drives.I live in Bangalore.After all the tries(reset+regular Y4 ECU program) I am getting avg 15km/L with fulltime AC(I dont like dust getting inside) on.
Old 4th January 2012, 17:54   #2377
BHPian

Quote:
All my figures include mostly city drives.I live in Bangalore.After all the tries(reset+regular Y4 ECU program) I am getting avg 15km/L with fulltime AC(I dont like dust getting inside) on.

Hey man,

Could you tell me after how many services/kms are you getting this mileage consistently? My mileage increased to 14.5 after first service and again reduced to 10.5 in the next fill :(
Old 4th January 2012, 18:02   #2378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Hey man,

Could you tell me after how many services/kms are you getting this mileage consistently? My mileage increased to 14.5 after first service and again reduced to 10.5 in the next fill :(
I was getting pretty good mileage before first service.I complained about pickup and thats it .It came down to 10.5-11.I waited till 2nd service complained and complained and complained about poor FE.After second service,I sat with them and made the changes.Now it is 14600 odd kms and due for 3rd service.I am afraid I might loose these settings after the 3rd service.
white-rabbit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 18:07   #2379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Interesting!
You guys have a Beat Petrol right? If its not too much to ask, can someone explain to me what is meant by the ECU re-learning and thus reducing FE after a reset and why does this happen?

The reason I ask is because I am exactly what is written on the left between my avatar and handle.
To the best of my knowledge,ECU has a flash drive where it stores all the optimum sersor values and some refference list values.It will utilize these figures for the fuel-air mixing,amount of fuel pumped etc and etc.These values will be stored as an avg values during the first 100 km run after reset.

ECU re-learning is the logic by which ECU stores new vales to the memory.Once you change any sensores,air filter etc.you need to do ECU reset to bring the effects in action.

Hard reset is physically erasing the values of flash drive by removing power.
Soft reset is erasing values using software.

Guys,correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by white-rabbit : 4th January 2012 at 18:09.
Old 4th January 2012, 18:30   #2380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC.BURNS View Post
I had used chamois on my grey swift and no matter how wet the surface is, it never left any mark. Its the best way to clean after wash afaik.
Might be you have not noticed the streaks because of the dark / metallic shades. It is prominent with the non-metallic red color on the Beat and I'm pretty sure the same for the black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
what is meant by the ECU re-learning and thus reducing FE after a reset and why does this happen?
You can get more info on this from a good thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...setting-4.html. ECU re-learning does not reduce the FE if driven carefully after the reset.

Quote:
I remember that you have been complaining of low FE from long time and that you have done FE tests with the service center. It is unbelievable that your Beat is now returning 15 kmpl where it used to give 10-11 kmpl earlier.

Quote:
I am afraid I might loose these settings after the 3rd service.
The ECU can still be reset by yourselves afterwards, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Started the engine waited for the tacho to settle to idle speed, loaded the electricals one by one and at last the A/c.
There is slight deviation of steps from this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post888297. Did you switch off the engine after the tacho settled to idle speed and before going for the drive? Or did you switch off the engine only after coming back?
Old 4th January 2012, 19:15   #2381
BHPian

Quote:

The ECU can still be reset by yourselves afterwards, right?
I have tried a lot of resets.But FE was low.I believe the setting I have now happened accedently
Old 4th January 2012, 19:15   #2382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post

I would say try a free flow air filter like K & N as it will give you more feed back than modding a new car with custom chambers.
Hey a K & N filter wont help because the problem I have noticed is at the opening itself.

So does anyone else want to give driving with open bonnet a try then ?

White Rabbit : I think the crown for worst mileage goes to me. I used to get only 8-9 kmpl consistently with 100% AC. This has increased to 10.2 as of now after my experiment. Will see how it goes from now on.
Old 4th January 2012, 19:19   #2383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Hey a K & N filter wont help because the problem I have noticed is at the opening itself.
I think it should help,becouse it is a free flow.It will increase air intake than the stock one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
White Rabbit : I think the crown for worst mileage goes to me. I used to get only 8-9 kmpl consistently with 100% AC. This has increased to 10.2 as of now after my experiment. Will see how it goes from now on.
Then it worth trying an ECU reset+open bonet method.It should result in better FE.Let us know the results.
Old 4th January 2012, 20:17   #2384
Senior - BHPian

The filter will only help marginally at best whereas a change in the intake will reult in more air getting in where it needs to.

Will try the ECU reset. So I just have to disconnect the negative battery terminal for half an hour and then reconnect it ? What needs to be done after that ?

So if anyone else willing to try the open bonnet method just to get more data or not ?
Old 4th January 2012, 20:30   #2385
BHPian

Try to follow the steps given in the link (post #2380).

I really have some issue with the usb connector.This is the third time I bought new cable.After some 5-6 moths,it will stop working.Either end(usually the end connecting to HU) will have some issues.I am fed up. Do any one have a better method?I am using my old FM modulator now.

Most Viewed