Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2012, 22:17   #2386
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
So do any of you guys want to try driving with the hood cracked open to see if you also note improvements in performance and mileage ? Just pull the bonnet release lever from inside and you are good to go, no rattles or anything.
I don't know what to say. If I understood correctly you drove with the bonet slightly open. That is just releasing the lever and not opening any further... right?

Well that is the most horrid thing one can possibly do in a car. You are playing with own safety. What if the the bonet gets open fully due to a pothole or something. And then bangs it against your windshield. Stop risking your like for a mere 1 KMPL.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 22:55   #2387
Senior - BHPian

This was the only method I could think of to do a quick check on my theory. The clip hoding it in place is pretty solid and there is no chance of it coming undone. I also do not drive in a rash manner or on very bumpy roads that would cause enough stress to make the bonnet fly open and smash my windshield.....

This is just a quick check before making any modifications that would be more permanent
Old 5th January 2012, 11:03   #2388
BHPian

Quote:
This is just a quick check before making any modifications that would be more permanent
@Mortis,
I think you haven't taken out the air filter and seen the complete intake system. Just take out the air filter, you will find a small hole at the base of the intake box and also another hollow pipe on the right hand side near the base of the box. What do you think this hole and this pipe is meant for?
Old 5th January 2012, 11:05   #2389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Do any one have a better method?I am using my old FM modulator now.
Get a good quality USB cable

Quote:
I think it should help,becouse it is a free flow.It will increase air intake than the stock one.
This is what exactly I meant by suggesting FF filter. Even if you open the hood fully or what ever chamber trick, the stock filter has its own limitations in letting more air where as a FFF will let more air with hood closed. Note that GM is not suggesting any FFF as of now, so if you are going to use it, replace it with the stock filter before giving it to service to honor the warranty.

Quote:
I have tried a lot of resets.But FE was low.I believe the setting I have now happened accedently
I don't think so, I think its all depends on how you are going to treat the car for the first 100KMs after the reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Might be you have not noticed the streaks because of the dark / metallic shades. It is prominent with the non-metallic red color on the Beat and I'm pretty sure the same for the black.
Exactly, metallic shades are easy to maintain in every aspects but when it comes to non-metallic its a different experience.

Quote:
There is slight deviation of steps from this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post888297. Did you switch off the engine after the tacho settled to idle speed and before going for the drive? Or did you switch off the engine only after coming back?
This is what I did:

Disconnected the -ve terminal from the battery post, 30 mins is more than enough to erase the values, but I kept it isolated for the whole day as I've to rush to my work when I was about to reconnect.

Reconnected the battery terminal back, tightened to the best, closed the doors, turned on the acc mode, waited for few secs, turned on the ignition waited for few secs and then started the car, in seconds it settled to idle speed. It ran for 2 mins in that idle speed, then turned on the park lights, headlights with an interval of 30 secs, wiper, ICE and finally the A/C. Switched off after 5-6 mins everything works fine as expected.

Early morning I started the car, waited few secs to run on idle speed, the first thing I noted was idle speed was reduced to 3 bars previously it was on 5 bar/1K line, now its on 600-700 range. I smelled something good happened and the rest you know it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I don't know what to say. If I understood correctly you drove with the bonet slightly open. That is just releasing the lever and not opening any further... right?

Well that is the most horrid thing one can possibly do in a car. You are playing with own safety. What if the the bonet gets open fully due to a pothole or something. And then bangs it against your windshield. Stop risking your like for a mere 1 KMPL.
Exactly, its just an additional simple safety lock which can be undone at any point of time as we can't perform a predicted way of driving. If you tie the hood with a rope from inside will give you more safety, its not advisable though. Also is it worth do such risky things? I think you can even consider try to remove the intake scoop at the air filter box end, IIRC it can be removed.
sajjt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 12:02   #2390
BHPian

I forgot to add few things to remember when soft reset:

First important thing is, do the soft reset only when the engine is warm, so do some spirited drives before you remove the battery terminal. The reason I suggest you have a drive before doing the reset, is that the engine will already be hot and ready to learn. The ECU may register wrong values while the engine is cold.

Obviously I failed in this as I've done the reset at night and started the engine and loaded the electricals and went for the drive next morning so the engine was cold, the values may not be correct. I need to do it once again

Another thing is, when you undo the battery terminal the OE HU may ask for the security code for proceeding with the HU, am not sure, am using a third party HU, just my guess though So make sure that you have the security code along with you once you do the reset.
Old 5th January 2012, 13:25   #2391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
I am using the one I got from GM for 300/-it lasted some 4 months.

The next one I bought from Chennai for 20/- It lasted for 6 months.

The next one was again from GM which did some 3-4 months

Quote:
I don't think so, I think its all depends on how you are going to treat the car for the first 100KMs after the reset.
Me too think so,from my experiance.

Quote:

Early morning I started the car, waited few secs to run on idle speed, the first thing I noted was idle speed was reduced to 3 bars previously it was on 5 bar/1K line, now its on 600-700 range. I smelled something good happened and the rest you know it now.
Mine is 3 bars.It should not exceed that,other than the first start.It will go to 4-5 bars and will settle at 3
Old 5th January 2012, 13:27   #2392
Senior - BHPian

Just to clarify because some of you think I am messing with my safety to get a little more mileage, I was just trying this out as a quick way to find out if my theory was correct or not, an experiment of sorts. After previously checking the mileage, I have been running the car normally with the hood closed. I was just hoping for more data from you guys to see if my observation was correct and to decide on my next step.

Topolino : No I havent opened up the intake box and checked inside, will do so. Although do keep in mind that even though there are other openings, the intake I am talking about is the main source of air and any changes/shortcomings here would make the maximum difference.

Any idea which model free flow filter would be suitable for the Beat ?
Old 5th January 2012, 13:43   #2393
BHPian

Quote:
Just to clarify because some of you think I am messing with my safety to get a little more mileage, I was just trying this out as a quick way to find out if my theory was correct or not, an experiment of sorts. After previously checking the mileage, I have been running the car normally with the hood closed. I was just hoping for more data from you guys to see if my observation was correct and to decide on my next step.

Topolino : No I havent opened up the intake box and checked inside, will do so. Although do keep in mind that even though there are other openings, the intake I am talking about is the main source of air and any changes/shortcomings here would make the maximum difference.

Any idea which model free flow filter would be suitable for the Beat ?
I felt it is very close to the Alto's filter(atleast by looks).Please verify once.I think you wont get the one specially made for beat.
Old 5th January 2012, 14:05   #2394
BHPian

Quote:
I really have some issue with the usb connector.This is the third time I bought new cable.After some 5-6 moths,it will stop working.Either end(usually the end connecting to HU) will have some issues.I am fed up. Do any one have a better method?I am using my old FM modulator now.
Quote:

Quote:
I am using the one I got from GM for 300/-, it lasted some 4 months.
The next one I bought from Chennai for 20/- It lasted for 6 months.
The next one was again from GM which did some 3-4 months

Even I am facing the same issue. The one from GM lasted less than aftermarket cables.

Cable at Rs.20? Well, that's not bad for every 6 months. I would buy a dozen then.

What about just the converter pin which is available on ebay?

I think, the only permanent solution would be to change the HU.
But, my car's more than a year old. Will I be able to replace it under warranty?

Last edited by KA18 : 5th January 2012 at 14:07.
Old 5th January 2012, 14:11   #2395
BHPian

Quote:

I really have some issue with the usb connector.This is the third time I bought new cable.After some 5-6 moths,it will stop working.Either end(usually the end connecting to HU) will have some issues.I am fed up. Do any one have a better method?I am using my old FM modulator now.
my HU's USB port has stopped working around 3 months back.
I did not highlight it at the 25k service that the car went though last week though, i somehow wasn't having enough confidence on the service centre's capacity to mend it.

so back to burning CD's and AUX now!
Wish it had bluetooth! yes i know i am asking too much from a 4.5lakh hatchback

Last edited by Auto freak : 5th January 2012 at 14:12.
Old 5th January 2012, 14:30   #2396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
Wish it had bluetooth! yes i know i am asking too much from a 4.5lakh hatchback
Its very easy to set up a bluetooth for your car.Just buy a bluetoot device with wired head set,connect it to the aux in of HU and done.It will cost you hardly 500/-.Those models are avilable from 300/- onwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
Even I am facing the same issue. The one from GM lasted less than aftermarket cables.

Cable at Rs.20? Well, that's not bad for every 6 months. I would buy a dozen then.

What about just the converter pin which is available on ebay?

I think, the only permanent solution would be to change the HU.
But, my car's more than a year old. Will I be able to replace it under warranty?
Simply,they will not replace the HU.But I am thinking of changing the mini usb port to Normal.Any idea how to takeout the HU?

Last edited by white-rabbit : 5th January 2012 at 14:38.
Old 5th January 2012, 16:35   #2397
Senior - BHPian

Reading this thread now a days is akin to browsing a technology forum. Resetting ECUs, hardware mods to get more airflow (keeping the cabinet, no not cabinet, the bonnet open), USB malfunctioning! A geek's toy for sure
Old 5th January 2012, 18:58   #2398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Reading this thread now a days is akin to browsing a technology forum. Resetting ECUs, hardware mods to get more airflow (keeping the cabinet, no not cabinet, the bonnet open), USB malfunctioning! A geek's toy for sure
Ha Ha, point noted! cant wait to get my hands on my new car on Saturday!!!
Old 5th January 2012, 20:54   #2399
Senior - BHPian

Check out the Chevrolet website for the 'Chevrolet Beat Music' under the auto-expo section. Wondering if at all this will be offered for sale sooner than later, this should be a hit among the youngsters. Anybody checked this out in person at the auto-expo?

Chevrolet India | Chevrolet Showstoppers Cars | Auto Expo 2012 Delhi

Quote:
Showcasing the all new Chevrolet Beat Music. This vibrant car is loaded with a 7 inch, state of the art, touch screen audio system. With enhanced features, perfectly matched interiors & exteriors, alloy wheels, complete body kit and color, the signature premium hatchback takes everything to a new level. Reverse Park Assist, Sunroof, PEPS and LED spoilers add to the style quotient.
Old 5th January 2012, 21:18   #2400
BHPian

Quote:
Check out the Chevrolet website for the 'Chevrolet Beat Music' under the auto-expo section. Wondering if at all this will be offered for sale sooner than later, this should be a hit among the youngsters. Anybody checked this out in person at the auto-expo?

Chevrolet India | Chevrolet Showstoppers Cars | Auto Expo 2012 Delhi
Pretty Sweet! Would cost a decent amount more though.

Most Viewed