Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 22:13   #2401
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Check out the Chevrolet website for the 'Chevrolet Beat Music' under the auto-expo section. Wondering if at all this will be offered for sale sooner than later, this should be a hit among the youngsters. Anybody checked this out in person at the auto-expo?

Chevrolet India | Chevrolet Showstoppers Cars | Auto Expo 2012 Delhi
Looks like GM is trying out all possibilities.Hope it will not end like Alto Xcite.
No offence,but bajaj tries the same with Pulsar
Old 5th January 2012, 22:19   #2402
Senior - BHPian

Well the car in the pic they have show is actually that of the Chevrolet Beat Z-Spec and has very different specifications and a package.

Not sure if they will launch it in that colour scheme or it will be different.
Old 7th January 2012, 18:35   #2403
BHPian

Back Home after getting my Chevy Beat LT Petrol, absolutely love it, drove 20kms back from Kropex.

While Ill not go on about how the car is etc(probably write an ownership thread in a few days) I have one slight problem with the car.

I noticed that when the car goes over bad bumps, broken roads and the like, the rear end of the car makes a *thud* sound. The front goes over smoothly with no issues. The sound seems like its coming from the centre and not on the rear wheel left/right sides (but I could be wrong).

Not sure whats making the sound. After I reached home and parked, I opened the boot and checked the spare tyre and tools area, the hard thermocol (whatever that grey thing is) embedded toolset had moved a bit over the spare tyre but not really sure if that could be the cause of the thud.

I haven't driven again, but maybe the next time I go out ill keep some weight in the boot to check.

In the meanwhile does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by superutp : 7th January 2012 at 18:37.
Old 7th January 2012, 21:04   #2404
BHPian

Completed a 1.5 year/15,000 service today. The car feels like new to drive after the engine oil flush and new engine oil. It feels more refined.

The mood after servicing is mixed.
Here's the story.

Just a day before Beat was due for service on Friday, children while playing broke the front windshield . This has already gotten my mood very down

The bad part

1. While servicing they have got scratches on the left hand side rear door. The scratch is not very visible but very minute removal of paint can be understood after close observation from a particular angle. The SA( who has serviced the car every single time) unwillingly did sign a letter to the body shop which is 5 kms away from the service center to repaint the door.

2. The car took a whole 7 hours for the servicing mainly due to repeated Wheel alignment and test drives.

The Good Part:

All the issues which were reported were fixed to my satisfaction

1. Left Pulling: The SA as well as the person incharge of the WA/WB unit told me that this is a very common problem with the appolo tyres. He opined that it is because the tread on one side of the both the front tires die off which results in the alignment issues. I was not interested in the root cause analysis. They managed to fixed the issue after 3 attempts one of which included "double/dixy spin" of the tires. I have no idea of what it means.

2. Wheel Rotation done on request, i was adamant on watching the process myself as these guys may not actually do it.

3. A/C not cooling the cabin: This is one issue which was not addressed to properly last time. This time around though the air filter was changed and trust me guys the cabin cools like a fridge. The A/C is now a chiller. This was a critical issue and was very well sorted.

4. Dashboard noise: I don't know what they have done, however the issue no longer exists.

5. NVH levels have decreased substantially, this may be due to the new engine oil? I can feel that things are more quite as well as not even slight vibration inside the cabin.

6. Inconsistent Horn:Fixed.

The Excellent part:

The Alignment issue was brought to notice last time to the same SA, who had not addressed it properly. This time they did not charge me for Wheel Alignment. Appreciated.

Breakup of the Damages

1. Oil Flush - 577
2. Oil FIlter - 71.11
3. A/C Filter - 403.56
4. Engine Oil Additive - 450
5. QUARTZ 7000GMO Oil (3.75 Ltr) - 1120.01
6. Wheel Rotation - 90
7. Labor - 850

Total - 3986 INR

All figures including taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Back Home after getting my Chevy Beat LT Petrol, absolutely love it, drove 20kms back from Kropex.

In the meanwhile does anyone have any ideas?
Congrats superutp!

I think there were others too who were facing this issue and was fixed when brought to the notice of the SA so do not worry. Enjoy the car

Last edited by Mr.Beat : 7th January 2012 at 21:08.
Mr.Beat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 21:51   #2405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
I think there were others too who were facing this issue and was fixed when brought to the notice of the SA so do not worry. Enjoy the car
Thanks

I guess you are talking about the collar in the rear suspension thing, but I had assumed that they had rectified that in all Beat's post 2010.

Should I inform the SA right now itself or should I wait for the 1st service?

Of course, having barely driven 20kms in the car I need to check it out again before jumping to any conclusions.
Old 8th January 2012, 12:43   #2406
BHPian

Hey guys, just bought a 8 months used Chevy Beat LT black color on 21st December. The previous owner wasn't comfortable with the loan repayment hence he preferred to sell the the car, bought it on full loan repayment basis. he was a known fellow. Few add ons by him were: Sun Films, Good Quality Seat Covers and a convex roof mounted DVD Player with LCD.
Few Upgrades done by me: added a Kicker 100.2 Amplifier using the Audio to RCA converter to power the JBl Compos.
Planning to upgrade to HID's for the head lamp (H4) as well as the fog lamps. Can some one please let me know what is the size of the bulb used in the fog lamps of the Chevy beat.
Old 8th January 2012, 18:40   #2407
BHPian

ok. the noise Imentioned from the rear of the car over bad road/bumps etc is definitely there. Drove close to 40kms today and heard it each time. Dont think there is any issue with the ride quality and its just that noise which can be heard.

As I asked in my previous post, should I report it to my dealer now itself or wait for the 1st service?
Old 8th January 2012, 21:17   #2408
BHPian

Quote:
ok. the noise Imentioned from the rear of the car over bad road/bumps etc is definitely there. Drove close to 40kms today and heard it each time. Dont think there is any issue with the ride quality and its just that noise which can be heard.

As I asked in my previous post, should I report it to my dealer now itself or wait for the 1st service?
Even i had the same noise issue,every pothole garr garr garr noise. when i bought the car @ 6K kms, did appx 3.5Kms in 10 Days and gave the car for 2nd Service, i didnt even mention the *** guys about the noise, they took a test drive and this sound was mentioned on the service sheet and when i took the delivery they said the sound was of the dikkie and its now been sorted.

Last edited by yogisays0909 : 8th January 2012 at 21:19.
Old 8th January 2012, 21:58   #2409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
Even i had the same noise issue,every pothole garr garr garr noise. when i bought the car @ 6K kms, did appx 3.5Kms in 10 Days and gave the car for 2nd Service, i didnt even mention the *** guys about the noise, they took a test drive and this sound was mentioned on the service sheet and when i took the delivery they said the sound was of the dikkie and its now been sorted.
I also think its not the suspension but infact the boot, probably will wait till the 1st service to get it checked.

Did they tell exactly what the problem was? Can I sort it out myself?
Old 8th January 2012, 22:09   #2410
BHPian

Quote:
I also think its not the suspension but infact the boot, probably will wait till the 1st service to get it checked.

Did they tell exactly what the problem was? Can I sort it out myself?
Yes, they told me that it was because of the loose boot lock. before the service my boot used to open silently, after they repaired it, when ever i pull the boot lever i can hear a thuk sound of the boot lock release.

I had one more issue, this was with the brake disks, the stering used to shudder on high speed braking, they sent the disks for skimming/grinding and charged me 850 bucks for that, it does not shudder any more.

Once i was backed by a rickshaw and the rear bumper came out from the right hand side, which was figured out to be a broken white color C shaped plastic bracket which was replaced for 798 rupees.

BTW does any one know whats the size or type of the fog lamp bulb? i had got the HID sets for my Esteem from Duabi and will be getting for the beat from here itself, so need to know the bulb type.
yogisays0909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 01:05   #2411
BHPian

Guys,

Need help!!!

My car got scratched near the fuel lid back in Nov'11, i didn't paid much attention to it and thought that will get it repaired later. So last week i noticed that the scratched area has started developing rust, took it over to service center and the estimated time given to repaint was 10 days. I couldn't give my car for 10 days so took it over to a reputed body work shop at a near by locality. He said will take INR 2000 to do the job and will take two days. I agreed and the car was handed over, assuring me the best work possible. Now the issue and questions:

> As i got the area repaint, will it develop rust again in future? (I know this question should have come before)
> I got the car, work done by them is good but the paint is not matching.
> I told them that i won't pay until the work is performed to my satisfaction, they agreed and asked me to bring back the car on some sunny day.
> How will they repaint it? will they remove the paint again?
> What is rubbing to get the better finish?
> What precaution is required will re work is done?

Please reply, its very urgent.
Old 9th January 2012, 10:59   #2412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did also report the 'thud' sound (with much bass, occurring whenever we hit pot holes) to the service center for my first check-up and asked about putting collar for suspension only to get scorned at. Later they told it was from the dickey and they had done a dickey setting, but the 'thud' is still there and i feel it is a characteristic of the Beat. Now I have learned to live with it as I have been hearing sounds (later identified to be from brake calipers and rectified) which occurred even when not running over potholes.

Quote:
Even i had the same noise issue,every pothole garr garr garr noise. when i bought the car @ 6K kms, did appx 3.5Kms in 10 Days and gave the car for 2nd Service
I doubt that this is a different sound from the earlier poster's one. It was a thud sound (like drumming) when entering and leaving a pot hole. But my service center too attributed it to dickey settings!

Quote:
Are you continually getting good FE now after the reset? My good FE after the reset seems to be short-lived!
Last weekend, had reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery before a long drive in the morning. Initially it gave a whopping 22 kmpl but further long drives resulted in only 15 kmpl.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 11:13   #2413
BHPian

Quote:
I did also report the 'thud' sound (with much bass, occurring whenever we hit pot holes) to the service center for my first check-up and asked about putting collar for suspension only to get scorned at. Later they told it was from the dickey and they had done a dickey setting, but the 'thud' is still there and i feel it is a characteristic of the Beat. Now I have learned to live with it as I have been hearing sounds (later identified to be from brake calipers and rectified) which occurred even when not running over potholes.

I doubt that this is a different sound from the earlier poster's one. It was a thud sound (like drumming) when entering and leaving a pot hole. But my service center too attributed it to dickey settings!
Yes, its more of 'bassy' drumming sound which can be heard from the rear-centre of the car and not from either side suspensions.

I'll try for the collar thing, but if its something inherent with the boot of the beat then its not going to solve the issue.

My first service is almost a month away/900kms so Ill see what happens or else I guess I have to live with it.
Old 9th January 2012, 11:13   #2414
BHPian

Quote:
Once i was backed by a rickshaw and the rear bumper came out from the right hand side, which was figured out to be a broken white color C shaped plastic bracket which was replaced for 798 rupees.

BTW does any one know whats the size or type of the fog lamp bulb? i had got the HID sets for my Esteem from Duabi and will be getting for the beat from here itself, so need to know the bulb type.
Same thing happened to me last week, an autorickshaw banged from the opposite side and the rear right bumper came off partly from the white plastic locks and developed a dent on the body where bumper ends I pushed it back to the normal position easily as the locks were in perfect condition. Being its black, dent is not noticeable easily, but needs some denting job, luckily not much paint job was damaged.

Beat using H4 bulbs, but HID on stock reflectors are dangerous to others and you are not going to gain much visibility other than blinding the on comers. Add to that you will be losing the flashing function with HIDs and blessed with less distant visibility than the halogens due to incorrect light source and focus issues(not the aiming). You've HID on Esteem, so try it on Beat, you'll come to know that. But being with a round head lamp you can expect better results than Esteem but rest is hard facts.

For more info why HIDs should not be installed on halogen reflectors:
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Its worth to read.

Beat has got one of the best head lamp designs compared to most of the entry/mid or even premium segment cars on the streets as its got a perfect round reflector with a wide cavity which will offer the best beam spread. Last week I saw a car with very bright but very legal cut off spread from long distance, from the intensity and CT, I thought it could be a premium car with HIDs on projectors, but when it come closer, I was shocked to see that it was a Beat with Osram Night Breakers (I couldn't cross check with him but the CT was conveying that) From then my hands are itching to go for an upgrade not Osram Night Breakers or Philips performance series but to 100/90W. I guess GM rides only can flash the HLs with both beams other than quad setups which will give you the double watts and intensity when you flash. So if I go for 100/90W the flashing intensity will be 190W is approximately 3800 lumens which is more than a normal 35W HID can produce. Thats the reason why others dip their lights even if you are on stock 55W, literally you are flashing with a 115W (2300lm approx) by stock.

Any Beat owners using 100/90W on their ride for long? I want to make sure that it wont melt the reflectors on city drives.
Old 9th January 2012, 11:54   #2415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post

Any Beat owners using 100/90W on their ride for long? I want to make sure that it wont melt the reflectors on city drives.
Why would you want to upgrade, don't you think the stock lights are adequate enough?

I have given the Beat for front windshield replacement, i am getting 100% waiver for the price of the glass, however they are charging me 500 INR for claiming the insurance and 50% discount on the molding required at the edges of the glass.

Any of you who have gone for the oil change have been billed for the engine oil additive? Did they add it to the engine oil?

Have any of you changed the rear bumper? The SA told me that it costs 5000 INR including the painting. I felt that it is too much

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks