Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 10:48   #2446
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
My baby Beat got her latest make over yesterday - smoked tail lamps!
It was a DIY. The transluscent paint used is VHT-Night shades SP-999.

Many thanks to bhpian Salbin for his detailed post on doing the same and helping me source the paint can.

Here are the pics!
Nicee, looks mean!! I am sure it looks even better in real life.

Just wanted to know what size tyres & alloys you are using? I am pretty sure you would have mentioned this before, but I hope you dont mind answering again.
Old 16th January 2012, 16:45   #2447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp

Nicee, looks mean!! I am sure it looks even better in real life.

Just wanted to know what size tyres & alloys you are using? I am pretty sure you would have mentioned this before, but I hope you dont mind answering again.
Thanks a lot superutp!
My tyres are 175/65R14 Michelin energy XM1+
Wheels are the standard Chevrolet ones. I have painted them matte black.
Old 16th January 2012, 22:08   #2448
BHPian

Quote:
My baby Beat got her latest make over yesterday - smoked tail lamps!
It was a DIY. The transluscent paint used is VHT-Night shades SP-999.

Many thanks to bhpian Salbin for his detailed post on doing the same and helping me source the paint can.

Here are the pics!
Just AWSOME. Smoked tail lamps look awsome with red.Way to go Auto freak.
white-rabbit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 09:45   #2449
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot superutp!
My tyres are 175/65R14 Michelin energy XM1+
Wheels are the standard Chevrolet ones. I have painted them matte black.
Damn! those wider tyres give such a better stance and look. For some reason they look bigger than R14's,Time to try to save up some cash then!

Clever on the painting the alloys matt black part, saves you from buying new alloys

what on your list for the next DIY?

Last edited by superutp : 17th January 2012 at 10:06.
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 11:36   #2450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Clever on the painting the alloys matt black part, saves you from buying new alloys

what on your list for the next DIY?
Thanks man! I'm glad you liked the wheels and tyres.

The matt black idea was thanks to a thread here about a bhpian painting his mondeo's wheels black. i just loved the 'mafia' looks of it! hehee (it looked so atleast on a Mondeo!). It was just when i was wondering if i made a mistake plonking in 17k for the Chevy alloys which i later felt didn't gel too well with the car. So, idea stolen immediately and job done the next weekend! :P

Next I have on the list is again a paint job! Though not a DIY this time.
I am planning to get the hood and the front air dam painted black.
The hood currently holds a dent that it suffered during the recent Thane storm here. So the painting will be done along with the tinkering work that's due next month
Old 17th January 2012, 12:16   #2451
Senior - BHPian

Hey does anyone have a download of the workshop service manual handy ?
Old 17th January 2012, 15:30   #2452
BHPian

Completed first 100km after 15K service. Car has become smooth. But today I noticed the front tyre is flattening slowly. I doubt some air leak somewhere. The thud sound still persist, and is audible specially in first 2 km after cold start. I don’t know how to get that thud sound sorted out.
Old 17th January 2012, 16:10   #2453
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man!

It was just when i was wondering if i made a mistake plonking in 17k for the Chevy alloys which i later felt didn't gel too well with the car. So, idea stolen immediately and job done the next weekend! :P

So the painting will be done along with the tinkering work that's due next month
So you have the Beat LT without Option Pack right? That means you bought the Chevy alloys? Just wondering as in why you bought the stock alloys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Completed first 100km after 15K service. Car has become smooth. But today I noticed the front tyre is flattening slowly. I doubt some air leak somewhere. The thud sound still persist, and is audible specially in first 2 km after cold start. I don’t know how to get that thud sound sorted out.
Is the thud sound the same thud sound as mentioned a few pages back? The one which comes from the boot?
Old 17th January 2012, 16:32   #2454
BHPian

Quote:
So you have the Beat LT without Option Pack right? That means you bought the Chevy alloys? Just wondering as in why you bought the stock alloys?
yeah! that's all thanks to the excitement of getting my first car!

Even i was wondering the same when i saw friends getting much better looking alloys at much lesser prices!
and more so when i went in for tyre upgrades. That's when I discovered that the Chevy rims were 4.5J and 175 are the max tyre sizes they can safely hold!

Quote:
Completed first 100km after 15K service. Car has become smooth. But today I noticed the front tyre is flattening slowly. I doubt some air leak somewhere.
My friend had a similar issue with slow deflation of tyre on his Palio. Whenever the car was parked idle for 2 days, the front left tyre would go flat!
we traced the issue to a minor bend on the rim.

I would suggest you to remove the tyre and get the rim inspected thoroughly for any minor bends.
Even if there are no bends, clean the entire inner surface of the rim to remove any dirt or dust. It can also be due to some particle of dirt being present between the tyre and rim contact.

And all this only after confirming that there is no puncture on the tyre itself

Last edited by Auto freak : 17th January 2012 at 16:39.
Auto freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 16:52   #2455
BHPian

Quote:
So Is the thud sound the same thud sound as mentioned a few pages back? The one which comes from the boot?
No.The thud sound is from front tyre.It was mentioned in previous post.
I dont think it is from break calipers.
Old 17th January 2012, 18:02   #2456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit

No.The thud sound is from front tyre.It was mentioned in previous post.
I dont think it is from break calipers.
Oh ok,with so many thud sounds mentioned in the previous posts I got a bit confused
Old 18th January 2012, 20:29   #2457
BHPian

Guys,Wanted to check something.
I am hearing screeching sound when I apply breaks.I recently replaced breakshoes and hardly 200km done.Is it normal?
Old 22nd January 2012, 14:40   #2458
BHPian

I just checked my first FE figures. Used the Auto-Stop method and did 359.6 kms with 29.92 litres of petrol, gives it an FE of 12km/l. This is with AC on almost 85% of times and 90% bangalore city traffic.

Satisfied with this so far, hopefully this increases after my first service which is due in 10 days.

Just to note, I have completely changed my driving style from being safe yet revving the engine (how I used to drive other cars) driver to a moderate, safe/ staying below 2500 RPM/ lightfooted on the pedal driver on the beat.

Hopefully this reaps bigger benefits once the miles get clocked in.

Quote:
Guys,Wanted to check something.
I am hearing screeching sound when I apply breaks.I recently replaced breakshoes and hardly 200km done.Is it normal?
I completely doubt that is normal and I think you should get it checked. btw did the sound start all of a sudden or from the start after your service?

Last edited by superutp : 22nd January 2012 at 14:44.
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:02   #2459
BHPian

Guys,There is some good news- touchwood. I had done a long run to Shivanasamudram, Talkad and back the previous weekend. It was truly spectacular ,although the water was less. All the while I was sulking that I managed to get a gash on my rear left door, and my rear bumper was dangling out a bit. All this happened on the 1st Jan at meenaxi mall parking :( . However, this friday, my JVC head unit went dead ,and I rushed to Kropex on Saturday. Although the service people were late to attend , they managed to bring my music system to life(loose connection) and guess what: They managed to get my rear bumper corrected in a minute( wrenched the bent portion out and wham a firm push - its gone!! . I showed them the gash on my rear door and they put some wax like thing and rubbed it and lo and behold!! the gash was gone too . The best part was when I got my tank filled up yesterday and did the maths (OK- they spilled oil during refuelling) my mileage came to a whooping 16 KMPL

Last edited by adg_andy : 23rd January 2012 at 10:03.
Old 23rd January 2012, 14:03   #2460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Guys,There is some good news- touchwood. I had done a long run to Shivanasamudram, Talkad and back the previous weekend. It was truly spectacular ,although the water was less. All the while I was sulking that I managed to get a gash on my rear left door, and my rear bumper was dangling out a bit. All this happened on the 1st Jan at meenaxi mall parking :( . However, this friday, my JVC head unit went dead ,and I rushed to Kropex on Saturday. Although the service people were late to attend , they managed to bring my music system to life(loose connection) and guess what: They managed to get my rear bumper corrected in a minute( wrenched the bent portion out and wham a firm push - its gone!! . I showed them the gash on my rear door and they put some wax like thing and rubbed it and lo and behold!! the gash was gone too . The best part was when I got my tank filled up yesterday and did the maths (OK- they spilled oil during refuelling) my mileage came to a whooping 16 KMPL
Awesome adventure you had there.

Did Kropex charge you for fixing the door, covering the gashes, reviving your JVC? If so, how much?
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed