Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:09   #2476
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Guys,Now I am getting 16.5KM/L on an avg with 80% AC in Bangalore traffic.
That's pretty impressive!
I'm not able to achieve that even on highways with 100% AC! I keep getting only 15.8 ~ 16.2 on the highway and ~13.5 in chennai city.

How much are you getting on the highways?
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:03   #2477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Whats your driving style like?

I just checked my fuel economy yesterday, my beat did 354kms and binge'd 30.48 ltrs of petrol giving a FE of 11.6km/l
So sedative style.Never revved above 2000 rpm in city.
In highways,rarely comes down below 100 KM/h

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Unbelievable! Haven't you been getting only around 10-12 kmpl in city earlier? Can you attribute any specific cause for the increase in FE other than the ECU resets? Have you checked FE on any long drives recently?
Yes.I was getting 9-11 KM/L before.I can say,I increased the tyre pressure to 35.Yes,the ride is little bumpy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
That's pretty impressive!
I'm not able to achieve that even on highways with 100% AC! I keep getting only 15.8 ~ 16.2 on the highway and ~13.5 in chennai city.

How much are you getting on the highways?
Last drive I was getting around 18,I believe.I remember only last 3 bars disappeared when I reached home after a fultank of 34L fill (Gate to Gate diatance is 360KM).I think,I have posted exact figures in previous post.
I will be driving in this week end.I will update after the drive.

To add sweet-spot for Beat is 70-80 KM/H
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:17   #2478
BHPian

Guys, Upgraded my front speakers to JBL GT5-s204.Purchased 5led park light bulbs too.Yet to fix them.Luckly tomorrow is saturday.

Sound quality with s204 is far far better than stock ones.But I still hear some Grr.. sound all now and then.Not sure it is because of the FM modulator I am using.

I also saw JBL c5 - 5.25" componet speakers with that guy.He offered me a price of 3700/- I had a talk with Salbin and decided to buy it later.Any idea on those speakers?

I will be updating some pics as soon as I change the park lamp.

Last edited by white-rabbit : 3rd February 2012 at 19:18.
Old 4th February 2012, 11:18   #2479
BHPian

Quote:
I also saw JBL c5 - 5.25" componet speakers with that guy.He offered me a price of 3700/- I had a talk with Salbin and decided to buy it later.Any idea on those speakers?

I will be updating some pics as soon as I change the park lamp.
Check for the loose contacts at the speaker connections, or is it the HU clipping at higher volumes?

Dude, without an AMP you wont get the full performance from a component speaker as the the HU don't even have the power to drive it properly.

If I were you, I will not go for a park light upgrade with LEDs as the optic designs are totally different for a incandescent bulb and LEDs. LED rays are traveling in straight lines so the usage of reflector will not efficient whereas the incandescent bulb will emit almost in all directions. Without a LED specific reflector it wont give the desired results. Tail lamp has got very very important role in safety so I don't want to get rear ended with some careless drivers just for the poor visibility of my tail lamps.
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 18:35   #2480
BHPian

Quote:
So sedative style.Never revved above 2000 rpm in city.
In highways,rarely comes down below 100 KM/h
Wow! thats pretty sedate, and I was thinking my driving below 3k RPM was sedate!
Just the other day I was forced to rev up the engine to 4-5k RPM in a desperate moment. The engine roared like crazy, swore never to do it again atleast in the run-in period.

Waiting for the pics for your lamps!
Old 6th February 2012, 14:52   #2481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Check for the loose contacts at the speaker connections, or is it the HU clipping at higher volumes?

Dude, without an AMP you wont get the full performance from a component speaker as the the HU don't even have the power to drive it properly.

If I were you, I will not go for a park light upgrade with LEDs as the optic designs are totally different for a incandescent bulb and LEDs. LED rays are traveling in straight lines so the usage of reflector will not efficient whereas the incandescent bulb will emit almost in all directions. Without a LED specific reflector it wont give the desired results. Tail lamp has got very very important role in safety so I don't want to get rear ended with some careless drivers just for the poor visibility of my tail lamps.
The treble setting was at 6.I reduced it to 1 and now its less.But for some songs it is still there.

I changed bulbs only in headlight,not the tail lamps.Its more silverish,and matching to the DRL(ofcourse,DRL does not glow along with park,I still like it)
Old 6th February 2012, 16:27   #2482
BHPian

Quote:
The treble setting was at 6.I reduced it to 1 and now its less.But for some songs it is still there.

I changed bulbs only in headlight,not the tail lamps.Its more silverish,and matching to the DRL(ofcourse,DRL does not glow along with park,I still like it)
JBL is a reputed brand in car audio so it can't be with the speakers, I've even tried with my AMP when I was not having the Sub, if you take enough pre caution in gain settings it wont clip even on the highest settings on the treble, the only setting it can distort was the bass Check the wiring connections at the HU and the speaker ends. I guess the problem with speaker connectors as most of these ICE installers will splice the wires which is a big NO in ICEing.

Sorry I mistook it as tail lampEven I've the same setup on position lamps which you can see from my avatar.

Last edited by sajjt : 6th February 2012 at 16:31.
Old 6th February 2012, 19:40   #2483
BHPian

One rat has done some serious damage to the car.So I left it for check-up today.The known issues were,chewed blanket inside compartment,Left indicator not working.
When I went for delivery,the SA was taking car out of the service center.He scratched the Front right part of bumper towards a pillar.
I felt like a bomb blasted inside my chest.I was talking with the manager that time.

The manager after checking the damage,said they will re-paint the bumper partially.I had to leave the car for a day.No idea what they are going to do.I dont know if there will be any color mismatch or any paint peeling on the way.So worried.
Old 7th February 2012, 12:47   #2484
BHPian

Quote:
One rat has done some serious damage to the car.So I left it for check-up today.The known issues were,chewed blanket inside compartment,Left indicator not working.
When I went for delivery,the SA was taking car out of the service center.He scratched the Front right part of bumper towards a pillar.
I felt like a bomb blasted inside my chest.I was talking with the manager that time.

The manager after checking the damage,said they will re-paint the bumper partially.I had to leave the car for a day.No idea what they are going to do.I dont know if there will be any color mismatch or any paint peeling on the way.So worried.

OOPS!! Hope your car comes back in good shape. I too had an incident this Sunday. I was driving through EC at around 40-50 kmph when the auto driving in front of me stopped suddenly. I swerved a bit to the right but a crazy oncoming tata indica cab rushed in. I honked and used the dipper but to no avail. That moron did not reduce speed and in the process , clipped my right ORVM. The smooth cover on top broke and was flung away. However, the ORVM is in perfect working order. Can any one let me know if this cover is available as an accessory :( This is the part which is body coloured in LT version ORVM). I had gone to Kropex on Sunday but there was no one around and teh service Guy was talking about some 1200 rupees with blinkers :(

Now for the good part: I have again got a mileage of 15.6 and 14.5 in my last two tankfuls. The latter was with 80% AC and bumper to bumper traffic last week on ORR. I too try and stay within the 2000rpm band as Jai mentioned.

@ Jai: I am planning for reverse parking sensors and upgrade of lousy rear speakers. Any place where I can sell/exchange my 4" speakers?

Last edited by adg_andy : 7th February 2012 at 13:05. Reason: added info
Old 7th February 2012, 13:28   #2485
BHPian

@Auto_freak:
Nice work dude. The black alloy - smoked tail lamp combo looks great in red Beat. Don't forget to protect the VHT with 2-3 layers of clear coat.

@white-rabbit:
Sorry to hear about the rat issue. Please ask the service center guys to put wire mesh on all the openings like the steering column boot, ac vent inlet etc. to prevent rat entry inside the cabin. Also try to protect the wires connecting ECU.

Few updates from my side
- Crossed 21k kms..
- Average FE got improved a bit due to reduction in AC usage - winter effect.
- Here is my FE log:
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-fe-tracker.jpg
Got the OBD BT Dongle 2weeks back and was doing some experiments.
The following are my observations:
- AC loads the engine by ~14-15% at idle rpms.
- Idle RPM increases when AC is switched on. (678rpm- without AC, 807rpm- with AC)
- The instant FE keeps fluctuating from less than 10 to 40+.
- Driving with lightest pressure on the accelerator gives better instant FE reading.
- When flooring the accelerator pedal, the instant FE drops below 10!

OT, but still posting some screenshots of Torque for you guys..

Idle rpm with AC off
Name:  idle ac off.png
Views: 8189
Size:  320.3 KB

Idle rpm with AC on
Name:  idle ac on.png
Views: 2852
Size:  323.6 KB

Some more screen shots:
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-torque-screens.jpg

Torque pro gives facility to capture the GPS path and merges with google maps.
Name:  torque 7.png
Views: 3051
Size:  787.5 KB
salbin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 14:11   #2486
Senior - BHPian

Excellent value addition to the car and the thread you have got. Please keep pouring in your conclusions too based on the observations and give us a good time with our Beats. Personally, I am more interested on the FE front.

Please can you let us know what is the instant FE on idling? I always doubted whether the Beat's idling FE is less compared to other cars. How does the Beat fare on coasting in gear (being a doubting Thomas, I always wanted to check out the instantaneous FE on coasting in gear - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...save-fuel.html). Also, please try to comment on the best RPM for gear up-shifts.

The load on idling vs idling with A/C shows as 17 and 32, right? So doesn't that make 50% increase in load?
Old 7th February 2012, 17:57   #2487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
OT, but still posting some screenshots of Torque for you guys..

Idle rpm with AC off
Attachment 883945

Idle rpm with AC on
Attachment 883946

Some more screen shots:
Attachment 883948

Torque pro gives facility to capture the GPS path and merges with google maps.
Attachment 883947

Salbin, nice update mate, so the new Samsung G-R is in full swing now But am bit jealous of you just because of the BT dongle worked for you where as mine is in crap state

What are the other features of pro version over the std?
Old 7th February 2012, 18:50   #2488
BHPian

@white-rabbit: man! that must suck, double blow! atleast make sure this time your beat is rat-proof!

@adg_andy: that must suck too!! I remember asking the accessories manager at kropex about the covers for OVRM and if I remember correctly he said you can only buy the whole thing and then get it painted. If you want I can PM you his number (unless and until you already have it).

If you get blinkers you'll have to get both OVRM's replaced

@salbin: wow, brilliant work, I always wondered if Torque could be used for the Beat. Would anyone mind explaining what dongle has to be used for this and how??

The Idle RPM changing with AC on and off can easily be felt while sitting inside the car. Slight vibration in the pedals, steering and gear knob when you switch on A/C at idle.
I am interested in checking the difference in load between A/C off and on, especially at crawling speeds and low RPMs which are more common in B2B traffic.
Of course unraveling the mysteries of the Beats FE is great knowledge as well.
And as thoma said, please keep pouring in your conlcusions!

@thoma,seems like 50% extra load with A/C but I doubt its interpreted tht way, its probably 32.3 -17.6?? (but, i am no expert)

in the load % graph, next to the RPM one, what is load % plotted against? (i mean the 9, 8, 7....1)? A highest value of 62 is huge. wonder what it is for other cars.

Last edited by superutp : 7th February 2012 at 18:54.
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 19:23   #2489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
OOPS!! Hope your car comes back in good shape.
I just got the car painted.Need to see any color mismatch is there in sunlight.Good part is,They have removed the scratch I hade at the lower corner,
Quote:
I too had an incident this Sunday. I was driving through EC at around 40-50 kmph when the auto driving in front of me stopped suddenly. I swerved a bit to the right but a crazy oncoming tata indica cab rushed in. I honked and used the dipper but to no avail. That moron did not reduce speed and in the process , clipped my right ORVM. The smooth cover on top broke and was flung away. However, the ORVM is in perfect working order. Can any one let me know if this cover is available as an accessory :( This is the part which is body coloured in LT version ORVM). I had gone to Kropex on Sunday but there was no one around and teh service Guy was talking about some 1200 rupees with blinkers :(
Sorry to hear that.You can get the cover.It comes plain usually,and they will paint it in your car's color.It usually costs around 400/- including painting.I will be travelling to kerala next week.I can source it for you,if you want.My friend is working in GM service in kerala.

Quote:
Now for the good part: I have again got a mileage of 15.6 and 14.5 in my last two tankfuls. The latter was with 80% AC and bumper to bumper traffic last week on ORR. I too try and stay within the 2000rpm band as Jai mentioned.

@ Jai: I am planning for reverse parking sensors and upgrade of lousy rear speakers. Any place where I can sell/exchange my 4" speakers?
I upgraded my 4" speakers last week.Result is good.When I removed the FM modulator and used direct usb,the screetch stopped.For a person,not in to a lot of loud music,the improvement I did is reasonable,for the price I paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
@Auto_freak:
@white-rabbit:
Sorry to hear about the rat issue. Please ask the service center guys to put wire mesh on all the openings like the steering column boot, ac vent inlet etc. to prevent rat entry inside the cabin. Also try to protect the wires connecting ECU.
Attachment 883947
I spoke with those guys,they say it is not possible.Can you please provide some more details,How we can do this?

This time damage was of 1700/-
Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
@white-rabbit: man! that must suck, double blow! atleast make sure this time your beat is rat-proof!
Any ideas,man?I tried all these tobacco,naphtheline etc.Nothing worked
white-rabbit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 20:57   #2490
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry to hear that.You can get the cover.It comes plain usually,and they will paint it in your car's color.It usually costs around 400/- including painting.

Any ideas,man?I tried all these tobacco,naphtheline etc.Nothing worked
Funny how I was told that you can't get separate OVRM parts. Plus I was also told that the OVRM with integrated indicators would be atleast 2k plus.

Coming to your rat issue. I wish I could help but the only thing I can suggest is, take that bat and hit the rat instead of the horse

On a more serious note, can you change your parking position? do others face the same issue (if you live in an apartment)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks