Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2012, 14:14   #2626
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Update after few days of first service:

I had some knocking problems and the pickup had reduced a bit, to an extent that the engine was getting switched off during reverse or 1st/2nd gear in inclines quite a few times. Got the car to Kropex , where the mechanic identified the problem after 5 minutes of drive. The culprit was loose clutch. They tightened the clutch and the feel good factor is back again .

Did I mention that they managed to find the RORVM cowl , albeit a different colour? I need to know about paint shops near E City where I could get the ORVMS painted. Salbin, Jai, any pointers?
Old 21st April 2012, 00:16   #2627
BHPian

My car is up for third service this 23rd. I have faced a very rare problem , all the lights on my dashboard have gone off. This happened to me last time also , around 6 months back, the service center repaired it and 2 days later it again went kaput, then it came back after a week. I suspect that there is a loose wiring, the lights on the speedometer are also not working , whereas the LCD panel(tachometer) is lightning up as usual. Can someone suggest what might be the problem.
Old 21st April 2012, 11:10   #2628
BHPian

After a few days short spins, I am consistently getting 17-18kpl with moderate use of AC and not too much of sedate driving but still sane level of pressure on the pedal. All trips were less than 70-90 kms, I've done one more soft reset after flashing the latest ECM ver as per Chevy service. One more , I've increased the tyre pressure to 34psi too. I couldn't feel much of difference from the stock tyres with excess psi may be am not listening properly, but the FE part its consistent for the last two trips. So this is my finding, rev it to 2-2.5k rpm till it gain sufficient torque for the first 2 gears and be gentle on the other gears. Keeping the rpm sedately lower than 2k for the first 2 gears, engine is not producing the sufficient torque and there by lugging the engine and consumes more fuel. Correct me if I am wrong.

Am yet to figure out the flutter sound in the cabin at times and as someone pointed out, I've checked the boot door and there's some play when its locked, may be a simple hammer work will do the job, but I want to get it done by Chevy guys for the sake of peace of mind.
Old 21st April 2012, 17:25   #2629
BHPian

I found these awesome sets of tail-lights on eBay. Prices are high , can we get them for cheap here. I thought this might be worth a share
CHEVY SPARK FULL LED Tail Light Lamp assy 2P 1:1 Replacement (MATIZ CREATIVE) | eBay
Old 21st April 2012, 19:35   #2630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
After a few days short spins, I am consistently getting 17-18kpl with moderate use of AC and not too much of sedate driving but still sane level of pressure on the pedal. All trips were less than 70-90 kms, I've done one more soft reset after flashing the latest ECM ver as per Chevy service. One more , I've increased the tyre pressure to 34psi too. I couldn't feel much of difference from the stock tyres with excess psi may be am not listening properly, but the FE part its consistent for the last two trips. So this is my finding, rev it to 2-2.5k rpm till it gain sufficient torque for the first 2 gears and be gentle on the other gears. Keeping the rpm sedately lower than 2k for the first 2 gears, engine is not producing the sufficient torque and there by lugging the engine and consumes more fuel. Correct me if I am wrong.
Thats awesome FE. What were the driving conditions like?
I would way keeping the engine below 1.5 RPM especially in 2nd and 3rd gears saps more fuel. In fact, I stalled once or twice owing to the lack of any torque with low RPMs in 2nd gear even with the clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroheadd View Post
I found these awesome sets of tail-lights on eBay. Prices are high , can we get them for cheap here. I thought this might be worth a share
CHEVY SPARK FULL LED Tail Light Lamp assy 2P 1:1 Replacement (MATIZ CREATIVE) | eBay
What coincidence! I was checking these out as well. I found two others as well, one with a sun design and the other with a slightly different LED pattern (similar to the current lamps). Both of them were also the same cost.
350$ is way too much!!
Old 21st April 2012, 20:04   #2631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post

What coincidence! I was checking these out as well. I found two others as well, one with a sun design and the other with a slightly different LED pattern (similar to the current lamps). Both of them were also the same cost.
350$ is way too much!!
Even i had seen the sun design , but this one was more of a killer i thought.
350 $ is too pricey i also agree.

There are a few more good products, but shipping eats up most of the money
Old 21st April 2012, 21:48   #2632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp

Thats awesome FE. What were the driving conditions like?
I would way keeping the engine below 1.5 RPM especially in 2nd and 3rd gears saps more fuel. In fact, I stalled once or twice owing to the lack of any torque with low RPMs in 2nd gear even with the clutch.
The roads were not congested mostly and mixed roads like highway and rural areas including some crawling in some signals. Speed range was 50kph to 80kph. I never crossed beyond 80kph as I want to make sure the sweet spot for better FE.
Old 23rd April 2012, 08:23   #2633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
The roads were not congested mostly and mixed roads like highway and rural areas including some crawling in some signals. Speed range was 50kph to 80kph. I never crossed beyond 80kph as I want to make sure the sweet spot for better FE.
I did a highway drive yesterday, started with the trip at 30kms, full bars of fuel, the drive was mostly between the 60-90kmph range in 5th gear, end of 120 kms only 4 bars had dropped. So 150 kms for 4 bars, thats the highest I have ever got. City conditions 4 bars drop in 70-90 kms tops.

Not being accurate here but that probably equates to more than 15kmpl easily (around 17-18-19 I guess)
Drive the Beat properly and you get great FE results!
Old 23rd April 2012, 13:17   #2634
Senior - BHPian

Dear Folks,

My Beat is approaching her 2nd Anniversary and 4th service (20,000 KMs)

What all thinks should be taken care in the 4th service? She had clocked 16,000 odd KMs till date.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 23rd April 2012, 15:58   #2635
BHPian

i've got to take my car in for the 30k service. Just moved from trivandrum to ahmedabad; took me and a friend 30 hours to cover 2200km and cost me about 139 liters of fuel (mix of premium and standard, rough economy of 15.5km/liter). I'm guessing thats quite decent cause we had the a/c on most of the time, and was gunning it whenever it was safe to, open roads meant 110-130kmph. It was a surprisingly comfortable ride when its only 2 people.
Old 24th April 2012, 12:39   #2636

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyf16 View Post
i've got to take my car in for the 30k service. Just moved from trivandrum to ahmedabad; took me and a friend 30 hours to cover 2200km and cost me about 139 liters of fuel (mix of premium and standard, rough economy of 15.5km/liter). I'm guessing thats quite decent cause we had the a/c on most of the time, and was gunning it whenever it was safe to, open roads meant 110-130kmph. It was a surprisingly comfortable ride when its only 2 people.
Wow!! I never get to go above 105-110 kmph. The steering wheel rattles and doesn't inspire trust. I have got the wheel alignment and balancing done at every 5000 km service, still am not happy with the high-speed mannerisms. Is it the tyres?

I changed Neo-Venom alloys (5.5J) from the dealer himself on delivery and they look cool, so I was thinking of upgrading to 185/60 R-14. Stock JK Vectras are a real let down. Any suggestions??
Old 24th April 2012, 14:59   #2637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by webadi27 View Post
Wow!! I never get to go above 105-110 kmph. The steering wheel rattles and doesn't inspire trust. I have got the wheel alignment and balancing done at every 5000 km service, still am not happy with the high-speed mannerisms. Is it the tyres?

I changed Neo-Venom alloys (5.5J) from the dealer himself on delivery and they look cool, so I was thinking of upgrading to 185/60 R-14. Stock JK Vectras are a real let down. Any suggestions??
i'm not sure, i normally hit 110 easy with no rattle or vibration on the ahmedabad-baroda expressway. i'm running factory alloys with michelin xm1+ 175/65/r14, if thats any help. have you tried asking the service people?
Old 24th April 2012, 20:17   #2638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by webadi27 View Post

Well when I was on the stock JK tyres, I wouldnt go beyond 110 only because the tyres weren't confidence inspiring enough. With 175's its a different story, you can cruise at 120 easily. I have touched 140 once (before I get blasted for high speeds, it was during an intentional early morning sunday drive on the NICE expressway (empty) to check tyre performance) and it felt fine. No wobbles or rattles, just the usual wind resistance.

Its most likely the tyres even though 5.5J will give you a wider profile on the 155 tyres but the JK Vectra in itself isnt the best of tyres. However, you should ask your SA for a thorough checkup. If you do a lot of highway drives then a tyre upgrade can be a worthy investment especially for the sake of safety (better grip, better handling and more high-speed stability).

Last edited by superutp : 24th April 2012 at 20:18.
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 00:50   #2639
BHPian

Hi everybody
Same as myavu I am approaching 2 years of ownership
Have done 13500 km on the odo.
6000 to leh and back,3100 to gugaon and back and 2700 to northwest gujarat and kutchh.
Please somebody suggest what to look out for.
After leh had it fully serviced including oilchange,brake adjustment,ECU setting etc.This was in the last week of november.
Regards.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:42   #2640
BHPian

Need help from anyone who can figure out what this sound is.

This sound comes when the ignition is switched on as shown in the video, its also present sometimes when braking from around 20kmph to standstill. Can't figure out what this sound represents.

The location of the sound is hard to localise, however its definitely from inside the cabin and not the engine bay

It started after I got my first set of DRLs and LED sill plates installed. Not sure if its related or its just an coincidence.

If its the Fuel Pump noise (considered normal in cars) my question is whether other Beat owners also hear this same sound

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks