Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2012, 10:14   #2776
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

That's the exact dilemma. There has been no instances of mis firing and there is no FE issues with the car either.
The engine oil is way below the minimum mark though and looks weird (ODO reading 29640kms). This wasn't the case at 15k kms. I need the car badly through this week, so a good 400kms more before she dives into the A$$.

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2012 at 13:04. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 26th June 2012, 11:38   #2777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
That's the exact dilemma. There has been no instances of mis firing and there is no FE issues with the car either.
The engine oil is way below the minimum mark though and looks weird (ODO reading 29640kms). This wasn't the case at 15k kms. I need the car badly through this week, so a good 400kms more before she dives into the A$$.
Even if there is no misfiring or low FE, it is recommended to replace the spark plugs as specified by the manufacturer as the plugs are subjected to high force as well as heat and tend to wear out.

If the engine oil level is well below the minimum mark, it is highly advised to top up before any running. Lubrication and heat removal might not be as efficient and can strain the engine parts. If the oil has been changed recently, ask the service center to find out the cause of low oil level. Or if the engine oil is bound to be changed, please do so at the earliest.
Old 27th June 2012, 08:52   #2778
BHPian

I am a really satisfied Chevrolet UVA owner and have been driving it for last three years. My experience with Chevy and the UVA has been awesome so far, there has been no breakdowns in 3 years of ownership and I hardly spent any money over service related matters, I did not even spend any money to accesorize it and kept it plane zane. The beauty of the car is it kept running only on petrol expenses and I am loving that. (Long term Ownership is on the way)

When I bought the car fuel prices in NCR were still around 44 but now it has gone so far up that i am looking for a replacement diesel vehicle. Also since the car has been so good and reliable I dont plan to sell my UVA at all and might just keep it as a second car.

I plan to buy a Chevy again considering my good experience with it. I am in Dilemma whether to buy "Beat Diesel" or wait for Upcoming diesel cars from Chevy which still seem some distance away (the sail and the enjoy). I would like to upgrade from Hatch to notch and even consider going for 7 seater if it is good. Looking for forum Member's feedback on what should be the option.

On other brands, I don't want to go to Tata/VW/Toyota and Maruti are so Omnipresent in the country you lose any exclusivity (add to it waiting periods). Hyundai doesn't have a car in the price range I am looking for in diesels.

Last edited by anu21v : 27th June 2012 at 08:54.
Old 27th June 2012, 09:14   #2779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post

I plan to buy a Chevy again considering my good experience with it. I am in Dilemma whether to buy "Beat Diesel" or wait for Upcoming diesel cars from Chevy which still seem some distance away (the sail and the enjoy). I would like to upgrade from Hatch to notch and even consider going for 7 seater if it is good. Looking for forum Member's feedback on what should be the option.

On other brands, I don't want to go to Tata/VW/Toyota and Maruti are so Omnipresent in the country you lose any exclusivity (add to it waiting periods). Hyundai doesn't have a car in the price range I am looking for in diesels.
Glad to know of a Chevy UV-A owner! Pretty rare though!

First of all I guess you need to decide on which type of car you want (and your budget). Of course, if its a notch or a 7 seater you will have to look outside Chevrolet. Secondly, the Beat Diesel is an amazingly efficient city car but you are probably going to find it small after the UV-A. But if you are fine with that then its a good choice especially considering your current experience with Chevrolet.

If you can't wait for the Sail and Enjoy then you will have to go for the likes of Swift DZire and Ertiga.

You can't obviously compare the small Beat to the bigger cars. Hence, my first point.
superutp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 12:07   #2780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
The senior most technical person suggested that I wait for 30000 kms for throttle body cleaning and IACV cleaning.
Sir,
It is preferable to get throttle body and IACV cleaning every 10000 km. A dirty throttle body & IACV can cause high or wavering idle and also delayed throttle response. It is a simple job resulting in smooth engine idle and better throttle response.

Quote:
I mentioned to him that I changed the oil(Quartz 7000 GMO 4B used)at 11000 kms.His suggestion was that I change the oil after driving for 15000 kms ie.when odo reads 26000 kms.Does this oil last that long?I am a bit sceptical.
As our drive mostly include frequent short-distance driving, slow-speed driving in stop-and-go traffic and extensive idling, it is advisable to get the oil changed every 10000 km or 1 year whichever is earlier.
Thanks & regards
Old 28th June 2012, 23:07   #2781
BHPian

Topolino
Hi
As suggested by you will wait for november and then get all the things done.
I hardly drive in Bombay so not much slow speed driving or stop and go sort of traffic.
As I mentioned earlier the whole car was washed inside out so spending money may not be productive.
Thanks again and regards
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:45   #2782
BHPian

Got the 30k servicing done. Skipped on nothing. Changed everything as per schedule and some more. Paid INR 4500 in total including some voluntary replacements including wiper blades, couple of lamps, the pollen filter(was replaced without consent). Along with the carb, got the fuel tank cleaned as well. Car feels smooth as silk.
Overall, quite satisfied with both the quality as well as the reasonable cost of upkeep of my chevy.
Will try to post a detailed report/pics as an update to my ownership thread once i receive the car from the workshop where it is currently undergoing repairs of a few ding, dents and scrapes caused by an errant private bus last week.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-30k.jpg  

Old 4th July 2012, 22:57   #2783
BHPian

Update on my FE,

11.6kmpl, 90 odd % city, remaining highway. AC on almost 80% of times (wonder how I come up with these statistics)

Was trying to drive better this time, shift below 2k or 2.5k atleast. Was able to maintain it during the first half of the tank, not so much for the second. Turned out I started lugging the engine especially in 3rd gear.

Have touched 5.9k kms. I honestly haven't been able to make out any difference in anything when the car was new and now. I get the same FE and the engine feels as much/less strained as before. Does anyone feel the same? What about those who have crossed 10k plus?
Old 5th July 2012, 00:09   #2784
BHPian

Oi superutp!

I have become accustomed to change at 2k now. Let me let you know that I used to change at 3k or higher before this till 21000 kms.
My run has been 100% city with ac on at all times at peak hours. Delhi heat isn't helping either but I am managing 13.3 kmpl as of now.

As for the performance, the car will behave itself till 15k after which you should get an oil change. Fortunately its a well behaved vehicle if you get it serviced on the schedule.

At 25k my few niggles are as follows:

1. Very subtle rattling from the door panel. Rectified after tightening the nuts.
2. Brake pad changed after my Del Mum Del run at 22 k.
3. Very minor rattling noise from the left side cabin maybe the glove box.
4. Mandatory change of wiper blades.

The car otherwise has been a pleasure to drive and to own. There is little difference in performance. Ofcourse a new car feels great but at 25k it is extremely well behaved though the engine is a little noisy.

My Suggestion : Please try a different fuel station. Please go through the reliable pump thread on team bhp and get a full tank to know if the pump owner is honest or not.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 21:28   #2785
BHPian

Two issues cropped up however temporarily.

1) AC/Blower suddenly switched off one day while idling at a traffic light. Switched it back on and it was fine.

2) Driver's side power window stopped working (the other three were working). Switched ignition off/on and it's fine.

Electrical issues perhaps?
Old 23rd July 2012, 22:58   #2786
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering would it be possible to mod the small Turbocharger from the BEat Diesel into the Beat Petrol ? Just for a lil more kick !!
Old 25th July 2012, 08:29   #2787
BHPian

FE updates for the last two times:

Around 10 days back- I got a huge shock with my FE calculation- 10.2

Of course, it involved insane traffic moments where avg. speeds where like 6 kmph over 10-12 km stretches. However, another reason would be my tyre pressures which was at 22psi. I hadn't checked it since they had been filled with nitrogen before my 5k service and turns out the service guys enjoy doing something to the tyres during the service which resulted in this. Am maintaining it at 34psi now. However, the hard ride over broken roads needs getting used to.

Today I filled up fuel again- to my surprise: 380.6kms, 31.61 ltrs giving 12kmpl I did have a NICE road run for around 20kms, however it invovled one high revving run and another run completely opposite. Regardless I am happy with these figures because my driving style though docile involves revs uptil 3-4k several times.
Old 25th July 2012, 13:46   #2788
BHPian

Superutp
Hi
Read that you are maintaining 34psi tyre pressure
AFAIK the company recommended is 32psi and the attendants at a petrol pump advise 30psi.I fill around to 31psi.
I do not drive for days together so what pressure would you recommend?What is the advantage of overinflating?
Thanks and regards
Old 25th July 2012, 15:39   #2789
BHPian

If you were my younger sibling I would confiscate the vehicle and wouldn't let you drive for a week.

22? Why? 34?? Why superutp why? The vehicle will be fine at 32 and you shall feel no harshness in the ride quality. Although I am happy to see such continous excitement about your ride, If I come to your city we're meeting up to share the happy vibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp
Today I filled up fuel again- to my surprise: 380.6kms, 31.61 ltrs giving 12kmpl I did have a NICE road run for around 20kms, however it invovled one high revving run and another run completely opposite. Regardless I am happy with these figures because my driving style though docile involves revs uptil 3-4k several times.
Old 25th July 2012, 21:16   #2790
BHPian

Hello Sir,

If you increase the PSI to 34, there's not much difference except there will be harshness and the car would be slightly bouncy. However, like the experts say its not exactly safe. I felt a slight 'bouncy' ride when the BP attendant increased it to 34 by mistake.

I would suggest as and when you do drive, maybe once in two weeks, you can check your pressure. F.E. can be countered by shifting at 2k RPM.

Quote:
Superutp
Hi
Read that you are maintaining 34psi tyre pressure
AFAIK the company recommended is 32psi and the attendants at a petrol pump advise 30psi.I fill around to 31psi.
I do not drive for days together so what pressure would you recommend?What is the advantage of overinflating?
Thanks and regards

Most Viewed