Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2013, 19:24   #2896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
How about these on the beat? Do they look good?
The LEDs' and the red border on the rear bumper look stunning !!

Like Auto Freak has quoted, integration of the tail lamps could have been better.

Also, I loved the rear exhaust guard (or rather that red border) integrated with the rear bumper. It is the original prototype styling.

Any tips on where did u get them from ? Local shop or imports ? Or any reference to online shopping ?

Advice needed on Wheel Alignment & Wheel Balancing

My Beat clocked 16061 Kms yesterday. With 5 people seated, the car felt like wobbling a beat. This has been happening for quite some time.
So took the car to "G Wheels" Service Centre. Located @ BTM Lake Road, Near CCD, Bangalore.

Wheel Balancing and Wheel Alignment was done in a neat 40 mins. The guy said that there was minor alignment issue and that has been fixed.

Coming to the point, I am a layman in terms of WA and WB Figures. I took some pics of the figures. Would be thankful, if someone could throw some light whether these figures look acceptable.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc04555.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc04559.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc04556.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc04557.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc04558.jpg

Something more that came as a shocker to me was the rusting iron casing in the axle. Is this something abnormal for a 2 yr old vehicle with 16061 on ODO ?

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc04546.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc04547.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc04553.jpg

Last edited by Zappo : 15th January 2013 at 21:11. Reason: No back to back posts please
Old 15th January 2013, 21:07   #2897
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Hey guys! the pic is from the net. Its too highly priced, but the stock ones look much better any day.

Last edited by yogisays0909 : 15th January 2013 at 21:09.
Old 15th January 2013, 22:40   #2898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
T

Advice needed on Wheel Alignment & Wheel Balancing

My Beat clocked 16061 Kms yesterday. With 5 people seated, the car felt like wobbling a beat. This has been happening for quite some time.
So took the car to "G Wheels" Service Centre. Located @ BTM Lake Road, Near CCD, Bangalore.

Wheel Balancing and Wheel Alignment was done in a neat 40 mins. The guy said that there was minor alignment issue and that has been fixed.

Coming to the point, I am a layman in terms of WA and WB Figures. I took some pics of the figures. Would be thankful, if someone could throw some light whether these figures look acceptable.
From a layman to another..What you should ideally do is take the car to a flat road with no inclines (on left or right side) and let the steering wheel go. If it behaves and goes on a straight line the alignment is more or less good enough. Hope it helps.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 23:52   #2899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
From a layman to another..What you should ideally do is take the car to a flat road with no inclines (on left or right side) and let the steering wheel go. If it behaves and goes on a straight line the alignment is more or less good enough. Hope it helps.
Thanks Abhishek ! I alongwith the mechanic took a quick drive, but on the flat road and not on an incline. The steering seemed a bit more steady. Will try your test tommorrow on some flyovers near my office.

Any idea about the rust that I mentioned about in the pic. I am a bit more worried about that.
Old 16th January 2013, 20:32   #2900
BHPian

Soumyajit9
Hi.
My beat is more than 2.5 years old and has clocked less than 15000 kms.
When I bought it anti rust treatment by 3 M was done.When the car was 18 months old I had sent it for servicing and noticed the rust problem in that area and near the joints to the wheels.
I checked with A.S.S. and the 3M executive.Both stated that the treatment cannot be done there due heat buildup.
I had mentioned this on this thread and requested replies.Unfortunately there was no reply.
I wonder if everybody staying in a humid climate like Bombay faces the same problem.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 20:48   #2901
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Abhishek ! I alongwith the mechanic took a quick drive, but on the flat road and not on an incline. The steering seemed a bit more steady. Will try your test tommorrow on some flyovers near my office.

Any idea about the rust that I mentioned about in the pic. I am a bit more worried about that.
I think you misunderstood. You don't need to do this on an incline but a road which is flat from all sides including left and right. Some roads are on a slight height which even out on either sides which is the left or right or both. On a flat road is good enough.
Old 16th January 2013, 23:01   #2902
Senior - BHPian

Ohh yes, I completely misread the statement !!

Gotcha your point now. I was working from home today. Will get a good feedback of the vehicle tomorrow
Old 17th January 2013, 21:12   #2903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
I checked with A.S.S. and the 3M executive.Both stated that the treatment cannot be done there due heat buildup.
I wonder if everybody staying in a humid climate like Bombay faces the same problem.
Even I wonder whether anti-rust treatment would help on wheels, as such its always spinning and susceptible to water and heat buildup. Bangalore is super dry climate. No humid problems, still my Green Bolt is affected.

Nevertheless, I saw somewhere in the Owner's manual that Chevrolet provides an anti-rust warranty. I will read the owner's manual sometime this weekend and if it makes sense, would take the car to A.S.S for some fixing work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
I think you misunderstood. You don't need to do this on an incline but a road which is flat from all sides including left and right. Some roads are on a slight height which even out on either sides which is the left or right or both. On a flat road is good enough.
After the WA and WB, I am noticing a considerable smoothness in the ride. Had a good testing on some newly tared roads while coming back from office now. No wobbling at all and a good steering feedback.
Old 18th January 2013, 15:13   #2904
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I came across the Corrosion Protection Service warranty in the owner's manual.

Attached below is the manual. Please refer to Page No. 164 for the Corrosion protection service details.

CarManual_Beat_Petrol_New_18Jun12.pdf

Source: www.chevrolet.co.in/content/dam/Chevrolet/asia/india/nscwebsite/en_IN/owners/03_Downloads/CarManual_Beat_Petrol_New_18jun12.pdf

I am planning to visit the A.S.S this weekend to see what are possibilities of fixing the rust developed on the wheel assembly.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 21:28   #2905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Cant seem to edit my previous post. Anyways the light clanking noise still persists even after getting the wheel balancing and alignment done. The guy suggested that it might me one of the bushes in the suspension that might have worn out. Is this a possibility ? In a car thats done 14000K ? Also, approximately how much would it cost to replace, i.e. are they expensive ?
Been a Long time away from this thread, but really had to make this post.

My Beat's now reached 11.7k kms and there are several annoying issues.

1) Very similar to what Mortis mentioned about the rattling on bad, broken roads. There is a bad rattling from ahead of the driver and it also involves a steering rattle when going over such roads. The rattle is more prominent at a slower speed especially say 5kmph. It almost feels like something is broken in the suspension (its like a thud-clunk sound from the suspension and rattle on the steering). This is observed more when the steering (wheels) are turned and maximum at full sterring lock either side. Again, only on specific bad broken roads and some sharp bumps ... not over normal bumps. I also remember a creaking noise once when reversing out of an incline with full steering lock. I have heard it only once.
There is absolutely no change in the handling of the car and on normal roads, regardless of the speed etc its all fine.
Am very worried about this noise and havent had time to go to the Service centre due to a change of job and requirement of my car everyday.

2) A rattle from behind my right ear over bad roads, sounds like its coming from the either driver side window or rear right window.

3) resonance type rattle from the tail-gate coupled with a similar thud rattle I had from the tail gate (Several Beat owners had this on Tbhp) again on bad' ish roads.

I know going to a Service Centre will give me detailed answers, but would really like to get some insights from TBHPians here. And shouldnt any problems with the suspension be covered by warranty?
Old 21st January 2013, 00:42   #2906
BHPian

Superutp.
Hi
Look for a service record which has a good record.
Mortis has had a bad experience a couple of times and I too had to readjust the clutch to get better average.
My suggestion would be to check with the FNG and understand the problem before you give the car to the service center.
Once my brother had a problem starting and got got a crazy estimate from a service center The FNG did the job in 5 minutes and waived off the charges.
Another time he had a problem with brakes and he paid just a couple of hundred rupees and got the problem rectified.Here again the estimate was in thousands.
Regards
Old 21st January 2013, 12:40   #2907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post

Been a Long time away from this thread, but really had to make this post.

My Beat's now reached 11.7k kms and there are several annoying issues.

1) Very similar to what Mortis mentioned about the rattling on bad, broken roads. There is a bad rattling from ahead of the driver and it also involves a steering rattle when going over such roads. The rattle is more prominent at a slower speed especially say 5kmph. It almost feels like something is broken in the suspension (its like a thud-clunk sound from the suspension and rattle on the steering). This is observed more when the steering (wheels) are turned and maximum at full sterring lock either side. Again, only on specific bad broken roads and some sharp bumps ... not over normal bumps. I also remember a creaking noise once when reversing out of an incline with full steering lock. I have heard it only once.
There is absolutely no change in the handling of the car and on normal roads, regardless of the speed etc its all fine.
Am very worried about this noise and havent had time to go to the Service centre due to a change of job and requirement of my car everyday.

2) A rattle from behind my right ear over bad roads, sounds like its coming from the either driver side window or rear right

I
I have gotten myself used to the rattling over broken roads.

The rattle from behind your ear can be the driver's door. Chevy mechanics spent a lot of time with me observing this noise. They opened up the door plastics tightened the locks and fitted the plastic all over again. It disappeared. This could be it.
Old 21st January 2013, 13:04   #2908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....rattling on bad, broken roads. There is a bad rattling from ahead of the driver and it also involves a steering rattle when going over such roads. The rattle is more prominent at a slower speed especially say 5kmph. It almost feels like something is broken in the suspension (its like a thud-clunk sound from the suspension and rattle on the steering). This is observed more when the steering (wheels) are turned and maximum at full sterring lock either side. Again, only on specific bad broken roads and some sharp bumps ... not over normal bumps. I also remember a creaking noise once when reversing out of an incline with full steering lock. I have heard it only once.
This could be because of:

- Rattling - Damaged bushes - Check all 4 suspensions and replace bushes if needed. Don't go by the ODO. It all depends on driving style and most importantly, condition of roads. Even I have some bit of it, and I am living wth it. Have to find time to fix it.

- Creaking / Squeaking noise - Happens on my Beat also, with full steering lock. Specific at U-turns. I am still unaware of it and doing some googe-ling. Hopefully will fnd the cause.
In the meanwhile, have a read here: http://www.ehow.com/info_12167968_ca...er-speeds.html

Quote:
2) A rattle from behind my right ear over bad roads, sounds like its coming from the either driver side window or rear right window.

3) resonance type rattle from the tail-gate coupled with a similar thud rattle I had from the tail gate (Several Beat owners had this on Tbhp) again on bad' ish roads.
- I can bet, this would be majorly due to loose parts. I had this bad rattle on my beat and the A.S.S had banged their head over almost everything at the rear - Hatch door, Rear doors, Toolkit, Spare wheel, etc, etc. Interestingly, the cause was stripped down to the "Rear Number Plate" !! Silly as it sounds, the A.S.S guys put some black tape and some crumpled waste plastic sheets behind the number plate and tightened it. Rattle disappears !!

Quote:
I know going to a Service Centre will give me detailed answers, but would really like to get some insights from TBHPians here. And shouldnt any problems with the suspension be covered by warranty?
- I believe suspension problems will not be covered under warranty if it is declared as a wear and tear part - Which I hope and think is not a Wear n Tear part. The A.S.S will probably try to strip you of some money. Go for a fight and I'm sure that they would admit what Chevy has laid down as rules.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 19:43   #2909
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is a bad rattling from ahead of the driver and it also involves a steering rattle when going over such roads. The rattle is more prominent at a slower speed especially say 5kmph. It almost feels like something is broken in the suspension (its like a thud-clunk sound from the suspension and rattle on the steering). This is observed more when the steering (wheels) are turned and maximum at full sterring lock either side. Again, only on specific bad broken roads and some sharp bumps ... not over normal bumps. I also remember a creaking noise once when reversing out of an incline with full steering lock. I have heard it only once.
Take it to the service centre, have your vehicle hauled up on a lift and check if your CV joints are dry. That will usually cause the noise on full (extreme end) steering position. If the thud-clunk sound comes even on sudden acceleration at low speeds (dab the accelerator at 5kmph to check), it is mostly a dry/faulty CV joint. I had something like this happen on my Accent long ago.

Quote:
Suspensions are usually expected to last 50-60k kms, so considering your car has covered just 11k kms, this is definitely a candidate for warranty replacement, in case the suspension has been found to be really faulty. I however don't think you have a suspension problem. It could very well turn out to be something else, lets hope its a trivial problem.

Quote:
- I believe suspension problems will not be covered under warranty if it is declared as a wear and tear part - Which I hope and think is not a Wear n Tear part. The A.S.S will probably try to strip you of some money. Go for a fight and I'm sure that they would admit what Chevy has laid down as rules.
Suspension should very much be covered under the regular warranty policy (if it is found to be faulty), unless otherwise mentioned in your owner's manual.

Also, doesn't Chevy give a 3 year comprehensive no-service/maintenance policy? Does that in any way enhance warranty on common spares like these? This I am not sure about, perhaps one of you can highlight what exactly the 3 year no-maintenance promise covers?

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st January 2013 at 19:50.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 20:51   #2910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Also, doesn't Chevy give a 3 year comprehensive no-service/maintenance policy? Does that in any way enhance warranty on common spares like these? This I am not sure about, perhaps one of you can highlight what exactly the 3 year no-maintenance promise covers?
I recall asking the same question (what's covered under the 3 yr promise) to the SA at A.S.S during my 6 month service. The front windshield had cracked on its own. And they were not ready to accept it as a mfg defect !! They tried their best to push it for Insurance replacement. Escalated the matter to someone senior in the service center and they accepted for a warranty replacement.

Coming back to the point now, Chevy's 3 Yr No-Maintenance Promise is a Joke. It covers only the Engine.
In short - If the engine ceases, they would go to the extent of replacing the engine !!
However, if its' evident that something is broken "without any scratches" (Read: Mfg defect), I guess it won't be difficult to get a warranty replacement.

But all other parts are chargeable
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks