Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2013, 00:44   #2971
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Haaahaaahaaa... For some reasons, Samarth seems to have spread the flooring infection here in B'lore too !! I had been a sedate driver with gear changes within the 2k RPM range. Now-a-days it has to be ~ 3k per gear change !! Sometimes, I become conscious and avoid this flooring, but seems the engine has got used to the 3k gear shifts and behaves lazily if I do a shift within the 2k range.
Haha. Talk about it. I have literally preached about 2k changes and hence superutp cannot control but leave such mean messages.

I feel like the car is half dead when shifting at 2k unless I hear a bit of noise and the vehicle moves aggressively ahead I do not enjoy driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
HaHaHa, had to post this,

If you remember sometime back you were Mr. Patience getting all of 13kmpl in the city!!

Shame on you!!!
You bugger you, I was expecting you to read this. But guess what if I was getting 13kmpl per ltr with 2k courtesy Delhi winters I am constantly getting 15.8-16.2/kmpl these days
Old 27th February 2013, 10:02   #2972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Anyone got a free flow done on their Beat ? Im planning to get one done in a months time after my 2 year service
Yes. A complete free flow (headers to end can) has enabled the air to pass through easily. Improvement in low end power has been noticed. Mid is even better, while high steals the pie.
IMO the FFE is well complemented by a conical K&N filter, making the engine breathe easier. A cold air intake would be the optimum solution, although I have a non cold air one.

BTW, did you know the stock air filter of our Beats is a cold air setup?
Old 27th February 2013, 10:58   #2973
BHPian

My OE tyres are giving up at 42k kilometers. Sidewall ruptures and frequent punctures. There are cracks on the sidewalls of 2 tyres and unbearable tyre noise.Had posted about the same in the other thread. I'll be replacing the rubber this saturday. Size of preference would be the obvious 175/65/R14. Got a quote of Rs.4450/- for Yoko A-Drives and Rs.4500/- for XM2s at Indo Radial Club. Leaning towards the Yokos. Are the quotes fair?
Old 27th February 2013, 12:16   #2974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Yes. A complete free flow (headers to end can) has enabled the air to pass through easily. Improvement in low end power has been noticed. Mid is even better, while high steals the pie.
IMO the FFE is well complemented by a conical K&N filter, making the engine breathe easier. A cold air intake would be the optimum solution, although I have a non cold air one.

BTW, did you know the stock air filter of our Beats is a cold air setup?
How much did the overall thing cost you? Any change in the infamous 2nd gear ?

I just checked the K&N website and did not find any cold air setup for Spark 1.2 L.

There is a squaking noise from the front Left hand side of the car when she is running on uneven roads at about 60+. The funny part is it disappears when driving in traffic/ low speeds and city roads.
Old 27th February 2013, 12:29   #2975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
How much did the overall thing cost you? Any change in the infamous 2nd gear ?

I just checked the K&N website and did not find any cold air setup for Spark 1.2 L.
There is a change in the second gear, yes. But has it made the car a whole different beast in second? No.
There was difference observed when I got the ECU software upgraded to the latest version by the ASS. But even that wasn't substantial.

The K&N fitted in was recommended by Arush at Autopsyphe Gurgaon.
I'm not too sure of the model number.

Quote:
There is a squaking noise from the front Left hand side of the car when she is running on uneven roads at about 60+. The funny part is it disappears when driving in traffic/ low speeds and city roads.
Is it from the engine bay or more towards the middle of the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
My OE tyres are giving up at 42k kilometers. Sidewall ruptures and frequent punctures. There are cracks on the sidewalls of 2 tyres and unbearable tyre noise.Had posted about the same in the other thread. I'll be replacing the rubber this saturday. Size of preference would be the obvious 175/65/R14. Got a quote of Rs.4450/- for Yoko A-Drives and Rs.4500/- for XM2s at Indo Radial Club. Leaning towards the Yokos. Are the quotes fair?
The Yokos at that price seem a bit higher. I paid about 4000 - 4200 for my 195 A-Drives. That was Feb 2012.
42000 seems to be slightly early for the tyres to wear out no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Haha. Talk about it. I have literally preached about 2k changes and hence superutp cannot control but leave such mean messages.

I feel like the car is half dead when shifting at 2k unless I hear a bit of noise and the vehicle moves aggressively ahead I do not enjoy driving.
True that. Upshifting at 2.5 to 3k has sort of become habitual now.
But stop showing off your mileage figures man! Delhi winters have little to do with them, BTW. You drove like an old lady, upshifting to 4th at 30 LOL!

Quote:
... rusting of the wheels.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/71073-chevrolet-beat-test-drive-review-194.html#post3016266

My 4th Servicing (20k) is due in April. Would like to be prepared to put up a fight with them regarding warranty.
Generally I have found such rusting on the front brake discs, mostly every time it's been driven through moisture/dampness/water on the roads. Also, after given the car a wash.
It shouldn't be a big problem as it disappears after driving a bit more, when the callipers wipe it off.
The area you've shown doesn't get much heat, and is mostly hidden. I suggest get it oiled and cleaned in your next service. Ultimately these areas do come in contact with water, and the moisture tends to get trapped. Nothing to worry about, really.
BTW, Bangalore might be dry, but it rains pretty often, so the moisture & humidity levels do rise.

Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 27th February 2013 at 12:47. Reason: Answering the Question
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 12:33   #2976
BHPian

Quote:
There is a change in the second gear, yes. But has it made the car a whole different beast in second? No.
There was difference observed when I got the ECU software upgraded to the latest version by the ASS. But even that wasn't substantial.

I will get it checked from the local stores too. Thanks

Quote:

Sam
I am not quite sure. It seems to be coming from the left hand side tyre or somewhere above it. Could be the engine bay too, i need to get this checked on a priority basis.

I am also concerned with increased NVH levels since the car has crossed 20,000 Kms. The engine in more audible.
Old 27th February 2013, 12:35   #2977
Senior - BHPian

Since I see the "gurus" are active today, posting my earlier query, rather worry about the rusting of the wheels.

Here is my earlier post. Can someone please advise me on how damaging is this rusting ? Anyone faced this problem in their Beaties ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/71073-chevrolet-beat-test-drive-review-194.html#post3016266

My 4th Servicing (20k) is due in April. Would like to be prepared to put up a fight with them regarding warranty.
Old 27th February 2013, 12:48   #2978
BHPian

Quote:

The Yokos at that price seem a bit higher. I paid about 4000 - 4200 for my 195 A-Drives. That was Feb 2012.

Sam
The threads r still passable for 10k more, however two of the tyres have massive sidewall damages/cracks. Also, alignment and balancing schedules were often overlooked hence uneven wear. Yesterday, during an emergency braking situation, the tyres squealed and even skidded for a few feet. Tyre noise has become an issue as well. Will check for other sources and pricing. Thanks.
Old 27th February 2013, 12:50   #2979
BHPian

Quote:
Since I see the "gurus" are active today, posting my earlier query, rather worry about the rusting of the wheels.

Here is my earlier post. Can someone please advise me on how damaging is this rusting ? Anyone faced this problem in their Beaties ?

You would need to read the manual first regarding the anti-corrosion point. I don't think i have seen this in my car since i regularly do WA/WR under my observation.

Team-bhp experts might be the best to comment regarding the same.
Old 27th February 2013, 13:04   #2980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You would need to read the manual first regarding the anti-corrosion point. I don't think i have seen this in my car since i regularly do WA/WR under my observation.

Team-bhp experts might be the best to comment regarding the same.
I had read the manual. Here is the link I had posted earlier.

Not very clear about the anti corrosion warranty from the manual. It could be considered as a wear and tear as well. Need advise if any of our BHPians have faced this and what did they do ?

Like I mentioned, before I start arguing with the A.S.S, I need to know what is the actual warranty coverage.
Old 27th February 2013, 15:49   #2981
BHPian

It was raining in Delhi the last couple of days.
I've always thought a Cocktail Green Beat looks beautiful with a bit of mud splashed over it.
Unfortunately, I decided to bathe her, and click a couple of pics!
Hope you guys enjoy them.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag0575002.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag0578.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag0580.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag0581.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag0586.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag0587.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag0588.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag0590.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag0593.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag0595.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag0596.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag0599.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag0602.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag0606.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag0609.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-imag0615.jpg

Cheers,
Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 27th February 2013 at 16:02.
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 15:56   #2982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was raining in Delhi the last couple of days.
I've always thought a Cocktail Green Beat looks beautiful with a bit of mud splashed over it.
Unfortunately, I decided to bathe her, and click a couple of pics!
Hope you guys enjoy them.
Cheers,
Sam
Thanks for the pictures Sam. Your car's pictures are always a treat to watch. On the bathing bathing part, change always refreshes the senses and most of us enjoy it depending on the season we are experiencing.
Old 28th February 2013, 01:57   #2983
Senior - BHPian

Yup I already know the Beat has a cold air intake as stock. Along with a FFE I was planing on improving the intake by making the scoop bigger and having a straight connection to the air filter box, eliminating the muffler/dust trap chambers in between which add turbulence. The intake I would only do if the cost was on the lower side as Im expecting only small improvements from the mod
Old 28th February 2013, 11:35   #2984
BHPian

Quote:

True that. Upshifting at 2.5 to 3k has sort of become habitual now.
But stop showing off your mileage figures man! Delhi winters have little to do with them, BTW. You drove like an old lady, upshifting to 4th at 30 LOL!

Sam

Mr Bhatia with all due respect I was upshifting to 4th at around 45-50 km/h. Really rude of you

Also considering the K&N and the wheel upgrade is still pending keep yourself free in the first half of march. Will need your expert opinions when *we* get it done on my car. 175 seems legit doesn't it? I have to drive the car almost 40 kms a day and would not want the mileage to suffer drastically by going for 195's.
Old 28th February 2013, 15:16   #2985
BHPian

K&N conical air filter & tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
The intake I would only do if the cost was on the lower side as Im expecting only small improvements from the mod
In my experience so far, the improvements to high end power have been good with the filter change. On the other hand, low end has improved drastically with the FFE. But the problem is at the low end, with the cold starts in the morning, the engine tends to stall. This is caused mainly due to the extra lean air-fuel mixture as excess air is allowed to enter.
I have been told that a CAI would solve this problem to some extent.
Cost of non cold air conical K&N was about 4.5k including installation.
A CAI should be about 11k, and I would recommend going in for that, if it is under consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Mr Bhatia with all due respect I was upshifting to 4th at around 45-50 km/h. Really rude of you

Also considering the K&N and the wheel upgrade is still pending keep yourself free in the first half of march. Will need your expert opinions when *we* get it done on my car. 175 seems legit doesn't it? I have to drive the car almost 40 kms a day and would not want the mileage to suffer drastically by going for 195's.
Go in for 185s. A good balance between mileage and performance, I would say. 175s would do too, but remember why you're changing the tires in the first place.
And yes, I would be available for this before 11th. But first you complete holidaying in the Wagon R no? :P
BTW, how'd you find the pics I put up?

Sam

Most Viewed