Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2013, 16:11   #3091
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Hi Soumyajit9,You need to run the vehicle for sometime for the issue to replicate in the exact manner. I had driven for more than 75 Kms and on my way back to home i decided to make them hear the sound ( even if they would have asked, i could have come back later for the replacement).
Exactly what I would be doing soon to get the noise audible. Add to that, a continuous usage of AC also throws the humming/whistling noise pretty loud.

Quote:
The good part was that they had the spare part in stock and immediately replaced it without hesitation. ( This also could be partly due to me telling them that it's a fuel pump issue and i have read about it to team-bhp )
This is another important factor in getting a replacement. A standard statement is "Parts are not available". You were lucky.

Quote:
Another issue is that, the the new fuel pump was exactly the same type and make as the old one. So will it go kaput again couple of years down the line ?
I am not sure if any other make and model would fit in Beat. One thing that would probably have been better is the year of manufacture. If it is a post 2011 June make, then probably it is a better one without the problems.

I had one similar question in mind and had posted earlier too. Will the Fuel Efficiency change due to a change in the fuel pump ? Or is it no way related ? Can you please keep a check on the FE that you are getting with the new Fuel Pump and report it here so that we can get an idea if the SA needs to recalibrate the ECU ?

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 27th May 2013 at 16:12.
Old 27th May 2013, 17:59   #3092
BHPian

Mr. Beat: good on you for getting the Fuel pump replaced.

Soumyajit: We need to pressurize these Chevy folks to get this part in stock and go get it replaced.

I have a video of the sound (uploaded on youtube also), so that should serve as proof in case of murphy law.
superutp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 18:07   #3093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Soumyajit: We need to pressurize these Chevy folks to get this part in stock and go get it replaced.

I have a video of the sound (uploaded on Youtube also), so that should serve as proof in case of murphy law.
Yes Utprabh, I think its time we should meet the Kropex guys. Lets connect on PM and visit these guys. Will PM you on my availability.
I'll download your video and put it in my mobile for evidence.
Old 28th May 2013, 10:28   #3094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I am not sure if any other make and model would fit in Beat. One thing that would probably have been better is the year of manufacture. If it is a post 2011 June make, then probably it is a better one without the problems.

I had one similar question in mind and had posted earlier too. Will the Fuel Efficiency change due to a change in the fuel pump ? Or is it no way related ? Can you please keep a check on the FE that you are getting with the new Fuel Pump and report it here so that we can get an idea if the SA needs to recalibrate the ECU ?
1. Try the power window up button to replicate the sound. Best would be if you can visit the service center after you are coming back home from somewhere and show it to the SA. They can then order the part by the time you are ready for next servicing.

2. I am monitoring the FE. I think the FE should not change much. I am not too sure but i guess it is the ECU which controls the fuel intake. I would report deviation if any from the standard 16-17 km/L i get on highways
Old 29th May 2013, 12:45   #3095
BHPian

Re: Less Effectiveness of Brakes while AC is on

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Does anyone have any idea why switching on the AC would make the brakes harder?
AFAIK, the power brakes utilize a certain amount of vacuum (connected to the brake booster) from the engine. When the AC is on, part of the mechanical energy produced by the engine is utilized by the AC unit (specifically the compressor). This might lead to a reduction of vacuum available to the brake booster to some extent. Hence, the brake effectiveness dips slightly.

This is less common in cars where the engine is of larger cubic capacity, and total mechanical energy produced is higher. The AC unit utilizes a much small part of this total mechanical energy. Hence the effect on vacuum available for brake booster is also lesser. And on switching on the AC, the lag in acceleration is much lesser as well.

Cheers,
Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 29th May 2013 at 12:48.
samarth.bhatia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 13:08   #3096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
AFAIK, the power brakes utilize a certain amount of vacuum (connected to the brake booster) from the engine. When the AC is on, part of the mechanical energy produced by the engine is utilized by the AC unit (specifically the compressor). This might lead to a reduction of vacuum available to the brake booster to some extent. Hence, the brake effectiveness dips slightly.

This is less common in cars where the engine is of larger cubic capacity, and total mechanical energy produced is higher. The AC unit utilizes a much small part of this total mechanical energy. Hence the effect on vacuum available for brake booster is also lesser. And on switching on the AC, the lag in acceleration is much lesser as well.

Cheers,
Sam
Excellent explanation Sam. That explains why the BEAT behaves like a dead horse with the AC on. I guess they plonked a very large compressor for it to make such a difference, or do all small engine cars behave this way?
Old 29th May 2013, 13:22   #3097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Excellent explanation Sam. That explains why the BEAT behaves like a dead horse with the AC on. I guess they plonked a very large compressor for it to make such a difference, or do all small engine cars behave this way?
To an extent most small engined cars do behave this way. It also has a lot to do with the gearing, the beat having one of the most problematic second gears.
Glad to have helped.

Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 29th May 2013 at 13:24.
Old 1st June 2013, 16:13   #3098
Senior - BHPian

Warranty gone and the famous Fuel Pump Noise pop-up!

3 year warranty gone and the famous Fuel Pump Noise pop-up the very next week

Thanks myself for opting extended warranty at the time of purchase.

On May 16th my Beat turned 3 and and on 18th Saturday her 6th service duly done http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3126044

The very next week Monday when I came back from office I heard a chime while switching off the ignition. I took it as a one off incident. The very next day when I was back from the office at Chirag Dilli crossing I switched of the engine since the light would take 5 odd minutes to turn green. The music was on so I didn't notice the chime while switching off the ignition. Light turned green, I switched off the music and turned the ignition on. At very end of oil spool sound the chime came. Suddenly the Beat thread discussion in Team BHP popped up in the mind and realized that in-famous fuel pump issue had caught my Beaty too. Remaining 3 odd kms I was just listening to the chime when ever i release the accelerator. For next few days this follows and ensure that I can emulate this chime successfully in front of SA.

Today I took my Beaty to Metro Chevrolet for escalating fuel pump issue along with Wheel alignment/Balancing and Tyre rotation.

SA Mr.Somnath identified the chime easily.

Wheel alignment/Balancing and Tyre rotation done.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0178.jpg

He took a photocopy of extended warranty certificate and RC. It will take 3 to 4 days for approval since extended warranty is a separate entity. Planning to fix the new fuel pump on next Sunday. Will duly update.

Kind advice to all new Beat owners in their standard warranty period and prospective Beat buyers - Please go and buy the extended warranty and sleep peacefully!

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 6th June 2013, 16:24   #3099
BHPian

Re: Warranty gone and the famous Fuel Pump Noise pop-up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
3 year warranty gone and the famous Fuel Pump Noise pop-up the very next week

That's a nice save there! Hope you get the replacement soon. That's the first I'm hearing of Metro Chevrolet, after AbhishekB86's horrendous experience there. Just be careful when you go there on Sunday.

BTW, you live around Chirag Dilli?

Cheers,
Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 6th June 2013 at 16:25.
Old 6th June 2013, 17:37   #3100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just be careful when you go there on Sunday.

BTW, you live around Chirag Dilli?

Cheers,
Sam
Got a call from extended warranty team on Monday itself. Fixed an appointment for Sunday morning. Let us see how things will turn out. Fingers crossed.

By the way I live near Ambedkar Nagar and what about you?

Quote:
It also has a lot to do with the gearing, the beat having one of the most problematic second gears
Do you still face second gear problem? Mine was get rid off in 2011 itself with ECU software update. Details here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2530467

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 6th June 2013 at 17:48.
Old 8th June 2013, 16:32   #3101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Got a call from extended warranty team on Monday itself. Fixed an appointment for Sunday morning. Let us see how things will turn out. Fingers crossed.

By the way I live near Ambedkar Nagar and what about you?

Do you still face second gear problem? Mine was get rid off in 2011 itself with ECU software update. Details here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2530467

Cheers!

Vinu
I stay at GK2. Let's catch up sometime. Maybe in the next meet.
Yes, I still face the issue on the second gear - it is slightly lesser problematic after the ECU update, but is more of a physical transmission ration issue, I believe.

Cheers,
Sam
Old 10th June 2013, 10:37   #3102
Senior - BHPian

Beat's fuel pump replaced under extended warranty!

So as planned, I took my Beaty to Metro Chevrolet on Sunday morning 9.35am.

Mr. Somnath was attending another customer. By 9.50 my Beaty was driven into the service area, but to an isolated corner. Now the waiting starts at Owner's lounge. At 10.30 they started the replacing procedure and finished by 12.00pm. Then there was a minor work from previous week's wheel alignment. Steering was bit hard and there was a very minor pull towards right. They rectified it and handed the car by 1.00pm

Total cost Rs. 0/-

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0179.jpg

A pic from Owner's lounge

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0178.jpg

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 11:44   #3103
BHPian

"As per the 3rd anniversary scheme, a brand new Chevrolet Beat (petrol) model can be purchased for just Rs. 3.39 lakh (the ex-showroom price) till June 20, 2013."

Source: http://www.cartrade.com/car-bike-new...kh-120822.html

they should extend this discount to Diesel also.
Vishal.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 14:09   #3104
BHPian

I don't know if everyone is aware of this. Chevrolet has introduced "Driver seat height adjust on the 2013 models "

PFA the attachment for info. Mods, if you could update the first page with this info.

Since launch, Chevy has introduced new colors, have got the logo on the horn pad and now seat height adjust as well.

I also see that the black panel, running from the centre console onto the side doors also seems to be updated to white as seen in the pictures on the website. Can anyone confirm this?
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-untitled.jpg  

Mr.Beat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 14:24   #3105
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know if everyone is aware of this. Chevrolet has introduced "Driver seat height adjust on the 2013 models "

PFA the attachment for info. Mods, if you could update the first page with this info.

Since launch, Chevy has introduced new colors, have got the logo on the horn pad and now seat height adjust as well.

I also see that the black panel, running from the centre console onto the side doors also seems to be updated to white as seen in the pictures on the website. Can anyone confirm this?
Nice find.

It seems the PS doesnt get the black gloss on centre consile, LS gets the black gloss & LT gets the silver gloss.

The logo was there from some 2011 models (mine is a Dec 2011 model LT and has it).

If you notice in one of the pics, the digital fuel gauge is also diff.

Seat Height adjustment was really missing.

Last edited by superutp : 12th June 2013 at 14:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks