Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2013, 11:50   #3151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
The issue is present in my car too...... I will ask the SA to address this coming Friday and will post the result.
Thanks !! I have my service in October. Hopefully I will be prepared for a fat bill, if multiple things are replaced. I was planning on an alloy upgrade, but that seems to take the back seat if I fix the suspension problem :-(

Will wait for your update. Please keep us posted.
Old 14th August 2013, 11:54   #3152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Thanks !! I have my service in October. Hopefully I will be prepared for a fat bill, if multiple things are replaced. I was planning on an alloy upgrade, but that seems to take the back seat if I fix the suspension problem :-(

Will wait for your update. Please keep us posted.
If this is done, it should be under warranty isn't it?. Why would we need to pay?
Even i had planned alloy wheels but the 3 year service is a major one and does take a lot of vitamin M.
Old 14th August 2013, 11:56   #3153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
If this is done, it should be under warranty isn't it?. Why would we need to pay?
Even i had planned alloy wheels but the 3 year service is a major one and does take a lot of vitamin M.
I am afraid that this would be covered under Normal Wear and Tear. It would cover only if you have the Extended Warranty, which I don't have
Old 4th September 2013, 11:17   #3154
BHPian

Guys- Just returned back to Bangalore after almost 16 months. Planning for carbon fiber sticker treatment (as discussed with some others) this weekend.

Soumyajit: Are you game? Salbin and others -please confirm.
Old 10th September 2013, 18:10   #3155
BHPian

Update: Completed the second servicing (1.5 years) albeit 4 months late.

Surprise: My car was lying idle for almost 16 months (as i was out of Bangalore) and it was occasionally started and minimally used by a friend and my BIL , just to keep the battery charged. After coming back from KL, I gave it for servicing at Kropex and I found rat chewn clothes all over in the A/C blower (see pic).

The total bill , including all filters changed and rat protection wire mesh was about Rs 6k.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-20130903_152140.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2013, 02:46   #3156
Senior - BHPian

Extended Warranty came for rescue again! This time Water Pump.

After the infamous Fuel Pump whistling sound (Fuel Pump changed under extended warranty – Detail here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3137573) there was another whistling sound (not that audible from outside) coming from engine bay since August last week.

This time it was bit tricky enough. Sound emits only at ignition On/Off (a single pee sound) and continuous pee sound at idle rpm. Slightest accelerator input or switching AC On while idle will kill the sound. Initially I thought it was again the Fuel Pump and decide to wait for few days and observe. On 6th September I called SA Somnath (of Metro Chevrolet) and inform the issue and booked an appointment for 7th. I reached there by 1.30PM. Mr. Somnath inspected and inform that the sound is from engine side and not from Fuel Pump. He refuse to make job card stating that since it already afternoon they will not get enough time to troubleshoot the issue. I booked a next day service at 9.30AM and left (24KMs worth fuel wasted).

Reached Metro at 9.30AM Sunday and Beaty entered the Service Center within 10 minutes. As usual watching my Beaty from Customer Lounge I felt something wrong. A service engineer entered into the car and he is still inside and turning steering. I came running down to the car knowing that he is still searching for that whistling sound. I ask him to switch Off the AC (the moment these service guys enter into our cars, they will chill inside with the“Lo” lowest temperature) and radio. I opened the bonnet and pointed out the sound. After some fiddling he told that the water pump is the culprit and left. Me too back at Customer Lounge gallery. Somnath came for Extended Warranty booklet and the same procedure like Fuel Pump change (Million thanks for Extended Warranty). They have to get approval from Extended Warranty Department, GM. So told me that it will take 4 days and book the service for 15th Sunday. But confirmation didn’t came and after couple of phone calls and follow-ups they finally called me on 18th. Booked service for Saturday 21st 9.30AM.

I reached there by 9.50AM and within 5 minutes car entered for the work.

They changed the water pump and all related pipes and hoses.

Got the car back at 5.45PM. (Whole day at Metro and it was raining cats and dogs since noon) Thank God, the Beaty is silent (as normal) at ignition and idle.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0232.jpg

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 16:09   #3157
BHPian

I rue not taking the Extended Warranty every time some noise is audible from any part of my Beat. What was the cause of this issue?
I am getting a feeling that the parts used in Beat are not going to last long. You feel bad that GM had to do this for such a good car
Old 24th September 2013, 11:54   #3158
BHPian

More updates:

Got my Car at 3m HSR (fantastic job done). Got Fog lamps installed . Also, upgraded my Headlamps with 90/100 Bosch(with relays).

The scar marks from last accident are also lesser(got the lower black portion of rear bumper replaced at Kropex) - and the blemishes(thanks to squad of suicide bikers in Bangalore) touched up.. Total cost breakup after coming back to Bangalore:

1. Servicing/ rat wire mesh/ a/c duct cleaning/ Oils and filters changed:6k
2. Fog lamps : 1.2k
3. Wash and Shine at 3m: 3K
4. Bulb upgrade and DRL installation: 1.2K

Next set of upgrades planned: T10 Parking LEDs, LED for interior lamp and one LED installation in the Boot.
Old 24th September 2013, 12:44   #3159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Next set of upgrades planned: T10 Parking LEDs, LED for interior lamp and one LED installation in the Boot.
Great !! So finally you got the baby up and running with all glory.
You must have missed the Beaty during your stay outside India.

I wanted to highlight couple of things here based on your wishlist.

LED for interior lamp - The LEDs' look horrible when placed inside the light casing. Don't buy them. I had been to a local shop nearby my house. When the guy placed the LED plate inside, one could count the number of LEDs'. The glass cover was that transparent. He said that there is a White Bulb that comes, just like our regular Yellow Bulbs. He said that he would get it, but it never happened, even after multiple follow ups. So bottomline is, don't go for LED.

LED Installation - Same as with he cabin interior light. Don't go with LED. Go with White Bulb.

Did you get the 3M Carbon Fibre done on any part of the car ?

I have parked all my upgrades and made way for the Alloys upgrade only, which will happen hopefully by end of this year. Right now saving Vitamin M
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 14:16   #3160
BHPian

Quote:

LED for interior lamp - The glass cover was that transparent.
LED Installation - Same as with he cabin interior light. Don't go with LED. Go with White Bulb.

Did you get the 3M Carbon Fibre done on any part of the car ?

I have parked all my upgrades and made way for the Alloys upgrade only, which will happen hopefully by end of this year. Right now saving Vitamin M
I plan to install LEDs in the current casing itself. something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=171130610151

You bet!! I missed my car like anything :(

All the best for your upgrades...and congratulations for the new member in your family
Old 24th September 2013, 18:24   #3161
BHPian

Enabling Trip computer on Beat

I came across this article on enabling additional trip computer functions and hopefully it will help beat owners. I had posted a thread but was merged to scan gauge page. So adding a link here as it would be specific for beat owners.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3245113
ramkris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 22:39   #3162
BHPian

Quote:
More updates:

1. Servicing/ rat wire mesh/ a/c duct cleaning/ Oils and filters changed:6k
2. Fog lamps : 1.2k
3. Wash and Shine at 3m: 3K
4. Bulb upgrade and DRL installation: 1.2K

Where did you get the headlamps changed? How much difference has it made?

Which DRLs?
Any carbon Fibre work you were planning to get?
Quote:

LED for interior lamp - The LEDs' look horrible when placed inside the light casing. Don't buy them. I had been to a local shop nearby my house. When the guy placed the LED plate inside, one could count the number of LEDs'. The glass cover was that transparent. He said that there is a White Bulb that comes, just like our regular Yellow Bulbs. He said that he would get it, but it never happened, even after multiple follow ups. So bottomline is, don't go for LED.

I'll have to disagree with you on the LED dome lamp part. I've been using one for over a year on my Beat and its very useful in terms of lighting up the inside front part of the car and doesnt look horrible at all. In fact it looks better. Maybe its got to do with the type (& number) of LEDs in the LED plate. Mine has 6 if I remember correctly which is more than sufficient.

Other news. I did my own DIY carbon fibre job on the logos & on the stock Rims a month back. Will share photos soon.
Old 25th September 2013, 15:59   #3163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Where did you get the headlamps changed? How much difference has it made?

Which DRLs?
Any carbon Fibre work you were planning to get?

Other news. I did my own DIY carbon fibre job on the logos & on the stock Rims a month back. Will share photos soon.
Hi Bro- long time no "see" huh? . The Headlamps were changed in the shop right next to Kropex . The DRLs(I bought them from Malaysia) were also installed there.

The headlights have made a massive difference. I can see more at night. The general beam spread is better. Carbon fibre- nope, not as of now. I got the black parts restored to "black" at 3m HSR. Also, I had the rear black portion of the bumper changed at kropex.and managed to find a black cover for my right ORVM(it broke and i was able to replace it with a golden colour then-with black on the other side :P ).so all is good and black now

BTW, did you guys manage to look at the kitchen that the rats made inside my car ?

As for the LEDs, I plan to install these:

http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=171130610151

and these( i plan to install the white ones, not green)

http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=261221805745

now , upload the pics of your DIY quickly!!

Last edited by adg_andy : 25th September 2013 at 16:05.
Old 2nd October 2013, 10:30   #3164
BHPian

Guys..the dome led' s have arrived. Now, could someone enlighten me how to open the dome casing?
Old 2nd October 2013, 22:59   #3165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys..the dome led' s have arrived. Now, could someone enlighten me how to open the dome casing?
Simple, just lift it with your nails. If its hard, use a screw driver to flip open the casing. Do it evenly from all the sides. Its just plastic clips that hold the cover.

Inside, you can remove the bulb, which is a small tube. Place the LED inside with a double sided tape. Connect the 2 pin connector to the one that is inside the casing. And voila, your job is done.

Ideally there should not be any passing electricity, but just be cautious while handling the pins and connectors.

I had seen this process at the local accessory shop when I was trying out the LEDs'. Eventually they didn't impress me and I am back to the stock cabin lamp bulb.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed