Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2013, 16:38   #3181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Guys, can GM India could give a believable excuse for omitting those precious features. Just simple as adding a button which may cost less than Rs.100/-.
Definitely a glossy feature that they can showcase in the 2014 facelifted Beat launch.

Quote:
Found the following ebay link with free shipping to India. Dimension is 6 x 6 x 5mm.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-pcs-Tactil...-/161003299249
Another one
http://www.onlinetps.com/shop/index....oducts_id=1214
Pushbutton Switch (2 pin Tactile/Micro-5mm Pack of 50) - Whoa ! Buy 50 of em'. We could share it amongst Beat owners

Quote:
So things are shaping up nicely for our Beat's Trip Computer.
Here are some details of what our current Beat's Trip Computer can offer
Source : Spark M300 User Manual (UK)
Did GM excluded it for a mid-life facelift version which never happened?
If GM launches the new 2014 Beat, it has more to offer through Trip Computer. Average Mileage, Instantaneous Mileage, etc.
Wow !! You are genius mate !! This would definitely help Salbin in his efforts.
I am sure that these features do exist in our Beat, but are not advertised. Marketing gimmick for the next version.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 17:55   #3182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Soumya & Andy: Thanks for the honest comments. I agree it doesn't look the best but it was an attempt for something different at almost no expense

Nice to see you back.
OMG! Cant wait for this DIY to go through!
Salbin I know where you live! Expect a visitor soon
You are always welcome.
But give a call before coming.
Better visit before I complete the work and close the console.

Quote:
Do they provide the wiring by default from sensor? Just plug n play?

How difficult is to open the console for soldering the button? Can we solder it without detaching the speedo console altogether (easy job)?

Do we need to cut the operating part of current dummy switch?

Found the following ebay link with free shipping to India. Dimension is 6 x 6 x 5mm.

Another one

Cheers!

Vinu
Sensor is available as part of the default wiring harness for the LT variant. I am not sure about PS and LS versions (may not be there, since climate control is not available). Even if it is not available, I think it can be added by getting the sensor separately and connect to the wiring harness.

Need 10mm box spanner, star screw driver and a flat screw driver to remove the whole stuff.
Final splitting of the plastic cover is a bit tricky - there some clip locking arrangement and I landed-up breaking the plastic clip. If you know where the clip is available, then things are easy.

Dummy switch: Same Plastic dummy switch can be used after cutting a small portion from the back side of the switch. Only thing is it will not be having any legend marking.

@Soumyajit9 / Vinu:
The switch required is SMD type (Surface Mount type). The link provided by you is not SMD. Flat soldering surface is required - please note that there is no hole in the PCB for soldering the terminals.

If I am not able to find-out this locally, then will consider ordering online as the final step.

Quote:
So things are shaping up nicely for our Beat's Trip Computer.

Here are some details of what our current Beat's Trip Computer can offer

Attachment 1149066

Attachment 1149067

Attachment 1149068

Source : Spark M300 User Manual (UK)

Did GM excluded it for a mid-life facelift version which never happened?

If GM launches the new 2014 Beat, it has more to offer through Trip Computer. Average Mileage, Instantaneous Mileage, etc.
Thanks for sharing the user manual soft copy.
I was searching for the soft copy of user manual and maintenance manual for Beat, but could not find it.
Please share the web link also.
BTW, did you manage to get the maintenance manual copy?

I think I will be able to give a small face-lift to my Beauty before GM comes-up with one.

Instantaneous Mileage will be still missing - I have to depend on my Bluetooth OBD dongle and Android mobile phone application - Torque Pro for all other OBD data.
salbin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 21:23   #3183
BHPian

Re: Enabling Trip computer on Beat

Quote:
Do they provide the wiring by default from sensor? Just plug n play?
How difficult is to open the console for soldering the button? Can we solder it without detaching the speedo console altogether (easy job)?
Do we need to cut the operating part of current dummy switch?
Another one
Cheers!
Vinu
Posting some pictures for those who are finding it difficult to locate the temperature sensor:

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-1.jpg
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-2.jpg
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-3.jpg
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-4.jpg
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-5.jpg

LS | PS owners, please check and confirm if the same sensor is available in your Beat.
Old 8th October 2013, 00:55   #3184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post

Sensor is available as part of the default wiring harness for the LT variant.
Thank GOD! Mine is a May 2010 LT Variant. If that is the case then I believe all I had to do is to solder the Switch 1 button. Rest everything is ready to go, right?

Temperature Sensor Spotted.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-temp-sensor.jpg

Quote:

Need 10mm box spanner, star screw driver and a flat screw driver to remove the whole stuff.
Final splitting of the plastic cover is a bit tricky - there some clip locking arrangement and I landed-up breaking the plastic clip. If you know where the clip is available, then things are easy.
Can we just open the plastic cover of console without opening the steering base-top?

Any SOP available for opening the plastic console without breaking the clips. Or can you provide the location of those clips so that we can exert pressure at that spot.

Quote:

Same Plastic dummy switch can be used after cutting a small portion from the back side of the switch. Only thing is it will not be having any legend marking.
But cutting should be taken care with precision. Less length means the switch will be loosely pressed by default (little play) and it can end up in a minor rattle in future. If more length, switch will be pressed and "on" all time and closing of plastic cover of console may be hindered.

Missing legend is perfect. By the way the whole Trip Computer was hidden inside neatly for last 3.3 years.

Quote:

@Soumyajit9 / Vinu:
The switch required is SMD type (Surface Mount type).
Can we chop-off the legs and solder? Ok will try for SMD type.

Quote:

Thanks for sharing the user manual soft copy.

Please share the web link also.
www.chevrolet.co.uk/pdf/manuals/Spark_M300_EU_MY12_gb_en_RHD.pdf

Quote:

BTW, did you manage to get the maintenance manual copy?
We have to pay for it. Here is the link: http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...-repair-manual

Chevrolet spark 2010 m300 body repair manual is available for download. It is a 24MB pdf. Search "m300 body repair manual chevrolet spark 2010"

Quote:

I think I will be able to give a small face-lift to my Beauty before GM comes-up with one.
Riding on your success, we few can also.

Guys, new Beat Variant is coming "Beat LTeamBHP"

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 8th October 2013 at 01:17.
Old 8th October 2013, 04:46   #3185
BHPian

Quote:

Posting some pictures for those who are finding it difficult to locate the temperature sensor:

LS | PS owners, please check and confirm if the same sensor is available in your Beat.
I can confirm it is available on diesel PS Version, as my scan gauge e is able to read both intake air temp as well as water temp successfully. Will confirm with pics later.

Also what is the Russian guy in the pics set doing in the later pics, tampering with the harness? Is it not needed? Just adding the buttons is sufficient ?

I guess the PS owners need 2 buttons. One for the mode switch and other for the clock.
Old 8th October 2013, 10:28   #3186
BHPian

Quote:
Thank GOD! Mine is a May 2010 LT Variant. If that is the case then I believe all I had to do is to solder the Switch 1 button. Rest everything is ready to go, right?
Temperature Sensor Spotted.
Attachment 1149356
Vinu
Mine is 2010 March model.
For LT, just soldering the buttons will do.

Quote:
Can we just open the plastic cover of console without opening the steering base-top?
Any SOP available for opening the plastic console without breaking the clips. Or can you provide the location of those clips so that we can exert pressure at that spot.
But cutting should be taken care with precision. Less length means the switch will be loosely pressed by default (little play) and it can end up in a minor rattle in future. If more length, switch will be pressed and "on" all time and closing of plastic cover of console may be hindered.
Missing legend is perfect. By the way the whole Trip Computer was hidden inside neatly for last 3.3 years.
Vinu
Yes - it can be opened without removing the inner cover of steering column.
Will share some potos of the plastic cover, so that the locking clips position can be identified.
NO SOP - I just went ahead in my own way .
While cutting the button legs, we can take the reference of the other 2 buttons. Will not be a difficult task.
You are right - the feature was hidden in almost a Lakh Beats in India! Now it is not..

Quote:
Can we chop-off the legs and solder? Ok will try for SMD type.
Vinu
I thought of doing the same. In fact I destroyed one old wireless headphone (about to be scrapped) to take-out the switch. Finally decided to go with a good quality one and not to manage with the available stuff.

Quote:
www.chevrolet.co.uk/pdf/manuals/Spark_M300_EU_MY12_gb_en_RHD.pdf
We have to pay for it. Here is the link: http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...-repair-manual
Chevrolet spark 2010 m300 body repair manual is available for download. It is a 24MB pdf. Search "m300 body repair manual chevrolet spark 2010"
Vinu
Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Guys, new Beat Variant is coming "Beat LTeamBHP"
Cheers!
Vinu
I liked it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkris View Post
I can confirm it is available on diesel PS Version, as my scan gauge e is able to read both intake air temp as well as water temp successfully. Will confirm with pics later.
Also what is the Russian guy in the pics set doing in the later pics, tampering with the harness? Is it not needed? Just adding the buttons is sufficient ?
I guess the PS owners need 2 buttons. One for the mode switch and other for the clock.
Intake air temperature may be taken from the inlet manifold (it should be part of Engine - not the Vehicle).
So there is a chance that this sensor is different from the intake air temperature sensor.
The item shown by the Russian guy is exactly same as the ambient temperature sensor, which I have shown in my previous post with location.
If the sensor is not available in lower variants, then we need to buy the sensor separately and add as shown in his photo gallery.
All I know is that for LT version - adding sensor is not required.
Sensor details: GM part# 25775833
No need to worry if it is not available in lower variants - Sensor is available in ebay for $5+shipping and can be added to the wiring harness.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...775833&_sop=15
It is a common part for GM vehicles.

BTW managed to locate the Omron tactile SMD switch from an Indian website: Kits'n'Spares
http://shopping.kitsnspares.com/bon1....asp?id=290654
Cost : Rs. 109/-(upto 9 nos), Rs. 89/-(more than 50 nos)
Tax / VAT : Rs. 16/ piece
Shipping : Rs. 150/-(upto 8 nos)
Shipping time : 10-14 Days

I am not getting time to go and search in SP road, hence will be ordering shortly after confirming with their customer support.

Did a full tank fueling yesterday and see what I got after driving ~ 20kms:
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-1.jpg
salbin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 11:07   #3187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Soumyajit9 / Vinu:
The switch required is SMD type (Surface Mount type). The link provided by you is not SMD. Flat soldering surface is required - please note that there is no hole in the PCB for soldering the terminals.
Hope I found one this time

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Waterp...-/130977184372

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 8th October 2013, 11:07   #3188
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is 2010 March model.
For LT, just soldering the buttons will do.

Yes - it can be opened without removing the inner cover of steering column.
Will share some potos of the plastic cover, so that the locking clips position can be identified.
NO SOP - I just went ahead in my own way .
While cutting the button legs, we can take the reference of the other 2 buttons. Will not be a difficult task.
You are right - the feature was hidden in almost a Lakh Beats in India! Now it is not..

I thought of doing the same. In fact I destroyed one old wireless headphone (about to be scrapped) to take-out the switch. Finally decided to go with a good quality one and not to manage with the available stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

I liked it

Intake air temperature may be taken from the inlet manifold (it should be part of Engine - not the Vehicle).
So there is a chance that this sensor is different from the intake air temperature sensor.
The item shown by the Russian guy is exactly same as the ambient temperature sensor, which I have shown in my previous post with location.
If the sensor is not available in lower variants, then we need to buy the sensor separately and add as shown in his photo gallery.
All I know is that for LT version - adding sensor is not required.
Sensor details: GM part# 25775833
No need to worry if it is not available in lower variants - Sensor is available in ebay for $5+shipping and can be added to the wiring harness.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...775833&_sop=15
It is a common part for GM vehicles.

BTW managed to locate the Omron tactile SMD switch from an Indian website: Kits'n'Spares
http://shopping.kitsnspares.com/bon1....asp?id=290654
Cost : Rs. 109/-(upto 9 nos), Rs. 89/-(more than 50 nos)
Tax / VAT : Rs. 16/ piece
Shipping : Rs. 150/-(upto 8 nos)
Shipping time : 10-14 Days

I am not getting time to go and search in SP road, hence will be ordering shortly after confirming with their customer support.

Attachment 1149432
SALBIN....... BRAVO MAN... Sorry I can't add more smilies as our mods doesn't like over garnishing the posts. Wow, that was a great return to the forum, I thought you were spending your free times with your little angel.

Glued to your posts, I guess I need to spend some time on TBHP for a few days until you finish the mod. Like some one said start a new thread to revive our Beat to a new level. Once again great find and great effort.

Yes, PS model is missing the temp sensor, I guess we can easily source it from GM SVC right?

BTW, count me for the extra SMD switches if you are going to buy from online in bulk so that we all can share without much hassles once you finish. Expect a call soon too.
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 11:08   #3189
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1149432
Fantastic updated sablin!

The DTE is absolutely accurate. I do get somewhere around 540-560 kms for about 33-35 liters of petrol.

Any DIY for the OBD II port and using app for reading vehicle data?
Old 8th October 2013, 16:21   #3190
BHPian

Quote:
Hope I found one this time
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Waterp...-/130977184372
Cheers!
Vinu
Yes.. It will match.
I was not very comfortable with buying things from ebay.com (okay with ebay.in).
Hence I was more inclined to buying from Indian sources.
Once had a bad experience with one OBD2 bluetooth dongle - item never received and no tracking was available once it leave the origin country.
Mostly it would have been lost at Indian Customs check and I lost ~ $20/-.
It may be a stray case, but still I don't want to take risk here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Yes, PS model is missing the temp sensor, I guess we can easily source it from GM SVC right?
BTW, count me for the extra SMD switches if you are going to buy from online in bulk so that we all can share without much hassles once you finish. Expect a call soon too.
So, my assumption was right - PS model needs 2 switches? and a temperature sensor with connector?
Sensor should be available with GM service, but I don't know if they give it seperately to us or not.

Let me know on how many switches you need. 1 or 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Fantastic updated sablin!
The DTE is absolutely accurate. I do get somewhere around 540-560 kms for about 33-35 liters of petrol.
Any DIY for the OBD II port and using app for reading vehicle data?
DTE values change based on the driving style. In fact, there will be a delay of ~ 5 mins, ie. it will calculate the DTE based on the instant / average FE you were getting ~ 5 mins back. That means when you hit the highway with low foot on accl, expect the DTE to increase after 5 mins of driving!
OBD2 Bluetooth ELM527 dongle is just plug and play. No DIY as such. Just plug-in to the OBD port, pair with the phone - thaz it. The Torque android app is free & Torque Pro is paid (you will get .apk if you google and use without paying) and having more useful features like instant FE, Video capture etc.. I had already posted this long back in the same thread -
link to old posts:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2672728
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2673539
Old 8th October 2013, 17:02   #3191
BHPian

Quote:
Yes.. It will match.

Let me know on how many switches you need. 1 or 2?

DTE values change based on the driving style. In fact, there will be a delay of ~ 5 mins, ie. it will calculate the DTE based on the instant / average FE you were getting ~ 5 mins back. That means when you hit the highway with low foot on accl, expect the DTE to increase after 5 mins of driving!
OBD2 Bluetooth ELM527 dongle is just plug and play.
Hey Salbin,

Could you please add me as well in case you are procuring switches. Ill need 1 since I have a Petrol LT (Dec 2011).

Also, Is the model name of the OBD2 dongle ELM327? I cant seem to find ELM527 anywhere.

BTW, I live in e-city now, very close to your place
Old 8th October 2013, 17:14   #3192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Hey Salbin,

Could you please add me as well in case you are procuring switches. Ill need 1 since I have a Petrol LT (Dec 2011).

Also, Is the model name of the OBD2 dongle ELM327? I cant seem to find ELM527 anywhere.

BTW, I live in e-city now, very close to your place
You are right. It is ELM327.
Typo error
Old 8th October 2013, 18:03   #3193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes.. It will match.
Quote:
I was not very comfortable with buying things from ebay.com (okay with ebay.in).

Hence I was more inclined to buying from Indian sources.
I bought a double barrel foot pump form ebay.uk and few other USB adapters from ebay.com and things reached fast and prompt.

But this time let us all buy it from Kits'n'Spares (easy troubleshooting) and as a brand Omron looks durable and last car's life. Will order 2 buttons.

My only concern is how to open the plastic cover of console safely (without breaking any clips or body) and solder the button without detaching the console PCB (soldering by just sitting on the driver's seat)
Kindly demonstrate how to open the plastic cover of console without opening or unscrew any other parts related to dash or steering.

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 8th October 2013 at 18:09.
Old 8th October 2013, 23:12   #3194
BHPian

Quote:
But this time let us all buy it from Kits'n'Spares (easy troubleshooting) and as a brand Omron looks durable and last car's life. Will order 2 buttons.
My only concern is how to open the plastic cover of console safely (without breaking any clips or body) and solder the button without detaching the console PCB (soldering by just sitting on the driver's seat)
Kindly demonstrate how to open the plastic cover of console without opening or unscrew any other parts related to dash or steering.
Cheers!
Vinu
Omron is a good quality OEM product.
B3AL switch Potential applications include automotive instrument panel, medical equipment, and gaming equipment. So definitely it will be more reliable.
Regarding opening of plastic cover, don't worry much about the breakage of clips - it is just an additional locking, there are 2 screws for mounting the cover. Posting some pictures of the cover for better understanding:

There are 3 clips on the bottom cover - 2 on RH side and 1 on LH side.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-11.jpg

There are 6 clips on the top cover - This is easy to remove since the clips are visible once the rear cover is removed. Also note the extra long leg of the dummy switch button.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-12.jpg

Dummy switch button long leg - we get a reference length by comparing with other buttons.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-13.jpg

Note the 2 Philips screw holes - so don't worry about breaking clips
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-14.jpg

SOP / The steps for removal:

1. Remove one screw near the bonnet open lever and pull the cover outwards with reasonably good force. Tool: Philips head screw driver.

2. Remove steering column bottom cover - 3 screws to be removed: 1 near the steering tilt lever and 2 from top(you will find it if seen from the driver seat, rotate the steering). Tool: Philips head screw driver.

3. Flip open the plastic round nut cover from top of the instrument cluster. Try with finger nail or else use a flat head screw driver. 10mmA/F nut will be visible from top.

4. Use a 10mm box spanner and remove the nut completely.

5. The second nut is from bottom - you need to disconnect the wiring harness connector to the wiper stack/combination switch. can be done by hand, pull by holding the connector - not wires.

6. Now second nut from bottom will be visible. Use 10mm box spanner and remove the nut completely.

7. Take-out the instrument cluster by releasing the mounting bracket from the 2 mounting bolts.

8. There is a plastic cap behind the round portion of the console - this is just press fitted. Use a sharp knife / flat head screw driver to remove cover.

9. Now the wiring harness connectors will be visible - One green connector & another black connector. There will be a latch lock for the connector. To release the latch, use a flat screw driver and press the locking slot and pull the latch outwards slowly. The connectors are self release type - it will come out as you pull the latch outwards. Similarly, remove the other connector also.

10. take out the instrument console to a comfortable place and remove 2 philips screws from rear side. Using a flat head screw driver or any other flat pointed tool, split open the 2 plastic covers, first the rear cover(black) followed by front cover(silver for LT/black for base variants)

11. Now the tact switch can be soldered to the PCB.

12. Cut the extra long leg of the dummy button. Check for free movement of the dummy switch. If tight, then clear any fouling projections using a knife.

13. Close the covers and assemble the items in the reverse sequence.

14. Over!

Hope the above steps will be helpful to you. You may contact me in case of any doubts during the DIY.
salbin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 00:22   #3195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope the above steps will be helpful to you. You may contact me in case of any doubts during the DIY.
Salbin, you deserve a treat man. When are you coming to Kochi next time. Me too will plan accordingly.

Really appreciate for your time and effort.

Let all Beat owners (at least Team BHP members) will unlock this precious feature and make GM shame for not include the feature as standard when the necessity was just a button.

I still can't believe why GM excluded it with all sensors and parts already present in the car unlike i20 which don't have necessary hardware for unlocking the feature.

Thank you once again.

Cheers!

Vinu

Most Viewed