Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2013, 00:42   #3196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Hope the above steps will be helpful to you. You may contact me in case of any doubts during the DIY.
Take a Bow Salbin ! Absolutely brilliant discovery.

Like Vinu said, its a shame for GM not to include another plastic switch in the console, which would given the trip computer a major edge over its competitors.

I am too excited to try this out, just need to make out some time from busy life. Will try this out soon, and will give you a shout if I get lost or stuck somewhere.
Old 9th October 2013, 12:41   #3197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

BTW managed to locate the Omron tactile SMD switch from an Indian website: Kits'n'Spares
http://shopping.kitsnspares.com/bon1....asp?id=290654
Cost : Rs. 109/-(upto 9 nos), Rs. 89/-(more than 50 nos)
Tax / VAT : Rs. 16/ piece
Shipping : Rs. 150/-(upto 8 nos)
Shipping time : 10-14 Days
Salbin, did you order the switch?

Kits'n'Spares had pulled out the Omron Tactile SMD from their listing.

I had contacted http://in.element14.com/omron-electr...PM-PD-OMRN-SR& and they can only take order through Kits'n'Spares else we need a Sales Tax Registration number.

Now we need to call Kits'n'Spares and place the order with element14 Order Code:1908275

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 9th October 2013, 16:34   #3198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Salbin, did you order the switch?
Kits'n'Spares had pulled out the Omron Tactile SMD from their listing.
I had contacted http://in.element14.com/omron-electr...PM-PD-OMRN-SR& and they can only take order through Kits'n'Spares else we need a Sales Tax Registration number.
Now we need to call Kits'n'Spares and place the order with element14 Order Code:1908275
Cheers!
Vinu
I am yet to order it.
Called Kitsnspares customer care customer care yesterday 3 times and the call was getting interrupted due to some issue. Afterwards I didn't get time.
Now I have decided to wait till this week end - let me see if I can manage to go to City market SP road shops and check for Omron or any other alternate switches. Otherwise will order thru kitsnspares.com. Both Element14 & Kits n spares are having tie-up. Only commercial orders are allowed in element14 - hence Sales Tax regn # is required.
The same switch is available in different colours - any colour one should be okay for us. Check Part Nos: B3AL1000P, B3AL1001P, B3AL1002P, B3AL1003P.
When I checked-up today, it is showing as available:
Note from Support: Please upload your attachment again. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 10th October 2013 at 01:30. Reason: Please re-upload your attachment. It hasn't shown up.
Old 9th October 2013, 17:01   #3199
BHPian

Quote:
So, my assumption was right - PS model needs 2 switches? and a temperature sensor with connector? Sensor should be available with GM service, but I don't know if they give it seperately to us or not.

Let me know on how many switches you need. 1 or 2?
Obviously, GM wants to save each and every penny by omitting unwanted
components from each model, thank God they couldn't replace the instrument console from the EU model. . Yeah I need two switches as the PS version doesn't've a clock too. I'll be visiting the electronic spare shops in M.G road for a suitable switch. Will let you know once I come across something worthy.

Can you post a pic of rear side of the front cover? I am bit confused with tackling the dummy switches as am yet to open the instrument cluster.

BTW, my OBD dongle is working fine, it was my phone who was acting dumb, once I changed the phone its working seamlessly. Its fun to view the real time gauges on the screen especially the FE once you are on coasting .

Did you go through the Russian guys photo gallery? He's done a detailed slide show.

My old Solderon soldering iron is not in a good shape, so already placed an order for Stanley soldering iron which is selling on a subsidised rate on Flipkart.

Quote:
Salbin, you deserve a treat man. When are you coming to Kochi next time. Me too will plan accordingly.

Really appreciate for your time and effort.
Count me too for that, its been a long time right Salbin? Plan both of your time of visit so that I can make myself free at mostly any time.

Quote:
Let all Beat owners (at least Team BHP members) will unlock this precious feature and make GM shame for not include the feature as standard when the necessity was just a button.
Nice move, but how many of them can completer it as DIY? Personally I don't trust the roadside tinkers. Only DIY hard cores are getting thrilled to have some extra features without spending big except a bit of patience and time.

Quote:
I still can't believe why GM excluded it with all sensors and parts already present in the car unlike i20 which don't have necessary hardware for unlocking the feature.
Are you talking about the external sensor on the lower variants? That's the only thing they can do for the cutting the cost. Its quite obvious why they have removed it from a non auto climate control model.

Last edited by aah78 : 10th October 2013 at 01:24. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
Old 9th October 2013, 17:19   #3200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The same switch is available in different colours - any colour one should be okay for us. Check Part Nos: B3AL1000P, B3AL1001P, B3AL1002P, B3AL1003P.
Note from Support: Please upload your attachment again. Thanks!

Different colours have different Operating/Releasing force. Our current buttons for Trip and Clock have some feel to it while pressing. That's why I chose Black - B3AL1002P.

Quote:
When I checked-up today, it is showing as available:
Attachment 1150356
Some other product is displayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post

My old Solderon soldering iron is not in a good shape, so already placed an order for Stanley soldering iron which is selling on a subsidised rate on Flipkart.
Me too ordering one soon.

Quote:

Count me too for that, its been a long time right Salbin? Plan both of your time of visit so that I can make myself free at mostly any time.
Sure.

Quote:

Are you talking about the external sensor on the lower variants? That's the only thing they can do for the cutting the cost. Its quite obvious why they have removed it from a non auto climate control model.
Then what about LT model? They saved ~Rs.60 (that too resale price) per car. Ridiculous

Last edited by aah78 : 10th October 2013 at 01:31. Reason: Please re-upload your attachment. It hasn't shown up.
Old 10th October 2013, 01:19   #3201
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah I need two switches as the PS version doesn't've a clock too. I'll be visiting the electronic spare shops in M.G road for a suitable switch. Will let you know once I come across something worthy.
Can you post a pic of rear side of the front cover? I am bit confused with tackling the dummy switches as am yet to open the instrument cluster.
Being a DIYer, I suggest you to open and check your PS version console before buying switches. Once opened, the feature can be checked by shorting the terminals as shown in my first post.
In case if you find something from MG road, then give me a call.
Following pics will help you:
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-15.jpg
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-16.jpg
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-17.jpg
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-18.jpg

Quote:
BTW, my OBD dongle is working fine, it was my phone who was acting dumb, once I changed the phone its working seamlessly. Its fun to view the real time gauges on the screen especially the FE once you are on coasting
That is great!
Mine, is almost like a permanent fitment now! I don't even remove it while giving for service.
In fact, looking into the real time FE will definitely yield some additional miles

Quote:
Salbin, you deserve a treat man. When are you coming to Kochi next time. Me too will plan accordingly.
Quote:
Sure.
Will definitely call you guys during my next visit.

Quote:
Let all Beat owners (at least Team BHP members) will unlock this precious feature and make GM shame for not include the feature as standard when the necessity was just a button.
Quote:
Nice move, but how many of them can completer it as DIY? Personally I don't trust the roadside tinkers. Only DIY hard cores are getting thrilled to have some extra features without spending big except a bit of patience and time.
Sajan, you are right. Those who are having interest in DIY and also lot of patience required for these sort of work.
The satisfaction, we get after completion of work is really a great feeling.

Quote:
Attachment 1150401
Different colours have different Operating/Releasing force. Our current buttons for Trip and Clock have some feel to it while pressing. That's why I chose Black - B3AL1002P.
I didn't notice the difference in operating force.
There are some similar / matching products from Panasonic and Wurth Elektronik also -
http://in.mouser.com/ProductDetail/P...%2fXfvrBLcs%3d
http://in.element14.com/wurth-elektr...end/dp/1868027
Wurth is cheaper, but the button contact area is small compared to the round.
salbin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 16:53   #3202
BHPian

Quote:
Being a DIYer, I suggest you to open and check your PS version console before buying switches. Once opened, the feature can be checked by shorting the terminals as shown in my first post.
In case if you find something from MG road, then give me a call.
Following pics will help you:

That is great!
Mine, is almost like a permanent fitment now! I don't even remove it while giving for service.
In fact, looking into the real time FE will definitely yield some additional miles

Sure.
Will definitely call you guys during my next visit.

Sajan, you are right. Those who are having interest in DIY and also lot of patience required for these sort of work.
The satisfaction, we get after completion of work is really a great feeling

So that part is confirmed Beat PS version can't be modified to the above said mod. After opening the console, the contacts have no function change if we short the switch points. GRRRR...

I have a few SPST switches lying idle which was bought for this mod any Beat LT Cochin Bhpians can claim for this as give away.
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 20:38   #3203
BHPian

Quote:
So that part is confirmed Beat PS version can't be modified to the above said mod. After opening the console, the contacts have no function change if we short the switch points. GRRRR...
I have a few SPST switches lying idle which was bought for this mod any Beat LT Cochin Bhpians can claim for this as give away.
:( Thatz bad.
I had this doubt earlier itself. That is why I had asked PS & LS owners to check-up.
Now for PS: it is clear - not possible.
For LS: Not sure - need feedback from LS owners.

Just figured-out a short-cut method just to check this, without opening the console (@Sajan, this idea struck my mind after your feedback):
- Just use a sharp pointed tool / pin / knife and try to pry open only the dummy button. The button should come-out without much forcing. Those who are worried about breaking the clips can check this.

BTW, I have ordered for the switch from in.rsdelivers.com
Ordered for Minimum order quantity: 10nos, and expecting delivery within 10 days. Just for 1 no requirement, landed-up buying 10nos. Balance 9 nos will be available for sharing with other Team-BHPians.

Last edited by salbin : 13th October 2013 at 20:42. Reason: edit
salbin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 21:45   #3204
BHPian

Hi sablin, do you mean, we can remove the dummy button with a knife? And then cut it short to start using the feature?
Pardon my noob query in case there is something else to do.
Old 13th October 2013, 22:10   #3205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Hi sablin, do you mean, we can remove the dummy button with a knife? And then cut it short to start using the feature?
Pardon my noob query in case there is something else to do.
Remove the button with a small sharp tool. Press the middle button to access the side of dummy button and pull it.
Since the switch is not available, you will not be able to use the feature.
Once the button is removed, you can just check if the function is working or not by inserting a screw driver or any flat metallic item and shorting the terminals(which are meant for soldering the tact switch). This will be helpful to LS owners because they can verify if the function is available or not without removing the entire assembly and covers.
Proceed with opening the cover only if the feature is available.

Hope clarified.
salbin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 00:19   #3206
BHPian

Will this work for the Beat diesel as well? Given that's a made for India only model.
Old 14th October 2013, 04:25   #3207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

BTW, I have ordered for the switch from in.rsdelivers.com
Ordered for Minimum order quantity: 10nos, and expecting delivery within 10 days. Just for 1 no requirement, landed-up buying 10nos. Balance 9 nos will be available for sharing with other Team-BHPians.
I was about to order it from rsdelivers.com. Some 670 rupees for 5 Nos.

By the way, you ordered black one or red one?

So once received, can you send 1 or 2 to me here in Delhi. I will pay you for Switches and Shipping.

Thanks

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 14th October 2013 at 04:30.
Old 14th October 2013, 07:37   #3208
BHPian

Quote:
I was about to order it from rsdelivers.com. Some 670 rupees for 5 Nos.
By the way, you ordered black one or red one?
So once received, can you send 1 or 2 to me here in Delhi. I will pay you for Switches and Shipping.
Thanks
Vinu
Sure.
So balance 9 has become 7
The one I have ordered is Alps make, which seems to be the same as OE.
Old 14th October 2013, 13:29   #3209
BHPian

Quote:
Remove the button with a small sharp tool. Press the middle button to access the side of dummy button and pull it.
Since the switch is not available, you will not be able to use the feature.
Once the button is removed, you can just check if the function is working or not by inserting a screw driver or any flat metallic item and shorting the terminals(which are meant for soldering the tact switch). This will be helpful to LS owners because they can verify if the function is available or not without removing the entire assembly and covers.
Proceed with opening the cover only if the feature is available.

Hope clarified.
Thanks for the details
I have a LT variant so this feature will mostly be working. I'll confirm by completing the DIY today.

Quote:
Sure.
So balance 9 has become 7
The one I have ordered is Alps make, which seems to be the same as OE.
Request you to hold 1 for me. I'll send over the shipping and cost.

Great work sablin.

I hope i don't screw up the DIY now.
Old 14th October 2013, 17:12   #3210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Request you to hold 1 for me. I'll send over the shipping and cost.
I hope i don't screw up the DIY now.
Ok. Will share it once it comes.
BTW, today I got a confirmation call from rsdelivers. They confirmed that in most cases it will take less than 6 working days to get the item.

Don't worry - there is nothing to get screwed-up - only unscrewing.

Most Viewed