Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2014, 05:54   #3316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
- Hard shifts - sometimes it takes a lot of effort shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. The gear refuses to slot in 2nd and I need to go back to first and shift again. This happens occasionally ( trice a day) and I have failed to reproduce the same before the A.S.S.
Same thing here. The shift has become very hard and rubbery. Except the 2nd Gear, the slotting in is still fine for my car.
Quote:
- Lugging/Stalling - The engine lugs away to glory at low RPMs. I feel the clutch is giving up. Maybe I'm losing the engine mounts as well.
- Sluggishness/Low FE - The car is virtually dead in 1st and 2nd. The 3rd however is as responsive as it has ever been. FE has dropped from ~14kmpl to 12.5 odd in the city.
I guess the drop in FE is directly proportional to the engine lugging. I have been revving upto 3k inorder to get a decent pick up. This ofcourse guzzles a lot of Petrol.
Quote:
I can hear a few rattles, checked plastic parts/panels but could not pin point the source. The rear hatch is the most likely culprit.
The major rattles on my car were traced down to a loose number plate and plastic panel cladding inside the rear hatch door.
Quote:
On the positive side though, I would say I am quite happy with the car. It has spent 80% of its life in maddening city traffic so additional wear and tear cannot really be blamed on the manufacturer.
Mee too !! I just love my ride. No complaints whatsoever. I take the blame for all the complaints, because I haven't taken care of its health lately. Mine is a 100% city ride. Oops, Mars Ride. Bangalore roads are compared to Mars !!
Quote:
February 2014 will bring in a new vehicle in our garage, most likely a Beat Diesel.
Good Luck. The Beat Diesel is definitely the best looking hatch with decent performance. Else, try out the Sail, incase you can bear its ugly looks. Heard that the Sail's TCDI is a perfect diesel hatchback at that price point !
Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Greetings Soumya!
I think you car's air-filter has clogged up due to dusty and high density/ pollutant (winter air). Filter cleaning and engine oil/filter change will make your Beat's acceleration back to normal. A throttle body cleaning also essential.
Hey Vinu !! Hope you are doing good man !!
Well, the pick up issue could be highly related to clogged filters. Quite possible in Bangalore !! Oil and Air filter cleaning / replacement will be done as a part of the service checklist.
What is a throttle body cleaning ? Is it neccessary at 22,000kms ?
Quote:
I am not sure about this symptom. May be something loose at clutch/gear box end. Can you record the ringing sound and post.
I'll try to record the sound. Just that I need to have a fellow passenger to sit in the rear sit and record the sound. Will share it once I capture it.
Quote:
Beat generally have a quick "karda karda karda" sound from clutch if it is little bit loaded in initial gears i.e. up-shifting without insufficient RPM. (note this not the usual clutch shuddering) Hope that it is not the case here.
I guess that exactly is the case, but a little more frequent lately. The clutch behaved well and even at lower RPMs' that karda karda sound was very less, rather negligible. But now even at RPMs' of 2k, that sound is pretty loud !!
Quote:
Irrespective of KMs run, I never missed a service since may 2010. I service my beat every six months. My daily running is 95% terrible b2b city traffic. You should take her to service center.
Yes, that guilt feeling has set in me. The ride is going to the CASS very soon !!
Quote:
What psi you maintain in your tyres? If roads are good try to maintain 34.
I maintain 32 psi as recommended by Chevy. I had tried to set 33 a few times, but I find that the roughness of the ride increases exponentially. Add to that, the stock tyre noise. The noise becomes so loud at times that I just fail to hear normal layer music.
Quote:
This need to be taken care seriously. Hope you are in Warranty period or opted for an Extended Warranty.
I don't have extended warranty. This time when I go for the service I will talk to the SA and may be take up the EW Plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
By ring sound do you mean knocking sound. If so, then adulterated fuel is the culprit. Poor fuel quality results in low pick-up and engine knocking. Change the pump from where you fill regularly and opt for trusted pump.
No, its not the knocking sound. I am a Shell loyalist since the last 3 years of ownership of the Beat (my first car incidentally, so extra cautious !!) So the possibility of adulterated fuel can be safely ruled out. I think it could be something related to Clutch and its play.
Quote:
Get the throttle body and Idle Air Control Valve cleaned. Due to the adulterated fuel excessive residue has deposited on these components resulting in erratic rpm.
Hmm, throttle body cleaning recommended by you too. So this goes into my definite list of tasks to be performed.
Quote:
Check the tyre air pressure using accurate gauge. Keep the cold tyre pressure ~32 psi. Excessive air pressure puts strain on suspension components, due to which noises are produced.
Yeppa !! 32 psi is what goes into the tyres !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Hello Guys, Nice to see the thread veterans back.
1. For the low pick up issue, did you get your ECU formatted ( Or whatever it is called).
2. I think the ideal RPM which i have observed is 3000 RPM at 100 Km/h at 5th gear
3. Thud noise from suspension- Present in my car too which has done only 40,000 Kms. Can you try caliper greasing, maybe the thud might reduce ( Not sure about this though).
4. Mileage: 18.5 with A/C on highways. Drops to about 14 in City with A/C
Hello Mr.Beat !! I am still young
1. No, everytime during servicing, I have dutifully asked the SA if ECU Remap needs to be done. But they refuse stating that since it is a Mar 2011 manufactured car, it already had the latest configuration.
2. Mine hovers around that range too ! Can you please check what is the RPM at around ~75 - 80kmph ?
3. Calliper greasing ! Ok, that sounds sensible. I forgot the name of something else that possibly needed to be replaced.
4. 14 with AC within city is amazing !!
Old 31st January 2014, 10:37   #3317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
What is a throttle body cleaning ? Is it neccessary at 22,000kms ?
This was done thrice in my beat as part of standard service. Throttle body is removed and sprayed with some chemical from a can (something like that). The result after throttle body cleaning is notable on acceleration and sporty engine note.

Quote:

I guess that exactly is the case, but a little more frequent lately. The clutch behaved well and even at lower RPMs' that karda karda sound was very less, rather negligible. But now even at RPMs' of 2k, that sound is pretty loud !!
I think this is pretty normal with the mileage gathered. Please try a sedate driving style and try to release clutch after fraction of a second below 2000 RPM. I think this is nothing to worry about.

Quote:
The ride is going to the CASS very soon !!
Immediately you should.

She is cocooning you and obeying all your instructions. She need to be pampered and taken care.

By the way Beat (especially petrol version) is a wonderful small car. Brilliant ride, ok handling and a super HP steering. I adore my ride. *And now we have 'MODE' function too (ala DTE, OT, AS, ERT, etc)
Quote:
I maintain 32 psi as recommended by Chevy. I had tried to set 33 a few times, but I find that the roughness of the ride increases exponentially.
You won,t believe, I maintain 35 from day 1. I like a little bit stiff setup. But here roads in NCR are really good and smooth and 90% I drive through known roads only. During drive to last year's Indian GP I maintained 34 in expressway. Yes Apollo Aceleres are screaming most of the times, but taken care with good music.

If you feel even 33 is harsh for Bangalore roads maintain 32. Then don't forget to carry out wheel balancing, rotation and alignment every 5000KMs.

Quote:
I don't have extended warranty. This time when I go for the service I will talk to the SA and may be take up the EW Plan.
Enroll asap! I already saved close to INR 11000 already.

Cheers!

Last edited by myavu : 31st January 2014 at 10:41.
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 11:13   #3318
BHPian

Quote:
- Hard shifts - sometimes it takes a lot of effort shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. The gear refuses to slot in 2nd and I need to go back to first and shift again. This happens occasionally ( trice a day) and I have failed to reproduce the same before the A.S.S.
Thanks
Quote:
Same thing here. The shift has become very hard and rubbery. Except the 2nd Gear, the slotting in is still fine for my car.
Hard shift is caused due to improper clutch adjustment, worn input shaft or clutch disc. By adjusting the clutch cable or replacing input shaft/clutch disc (if worn) may solve the problem.

Quote:
Mileage: 18.5 with A/C on highways. Drops to about 14 in City with A/C
Excellent mileage
Quote:
Mine hovers around that range too ! Can you please check what is the RPM at around ~75 - 80kmph ?
For 75-80 kmph in 5th gear rpm corresponds to ~2200. If in your car it is more, then clutch is certainly slipping, which can be rectified by proper clutch adjustment or by repalcing the clutch cable/clutch disc/pressure plate/flywheel as the case may be.
Topolino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:55   #3319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
Knowing that I drive cross country the workshop manager at Nikhil (A.S.S. at Bombay) called me .
They have started a scheme for unlimited free towing anywhere in India to their nearest service centre. Even if you run out of fuel they will provide 5 litres of it. Rs 1350 per year.
Has anybody else received such a call? Looks good.
Thanks and regards
Chevrolet is offering FREE 24x7 roadside assistance for 3 years for the cars sold after 1st Jan 2014.

Existing Chevrolet Car owners can also buy Roadside Assistance Service from any Chevrolet authorized dealership.

For more details please visit http://www.chevrolet.co.in/owners/ro...ssistance.html
Topolino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 14:25   #3320
BHPian

Chevrolet has revealed new face-lifted Beat in Auto Expo. The changes are mostly in Exterior. Interior is the same. Feature-wise in LT & LT(O) variants, steering mounted audio control is added and Auto Climate Control is removed.
Old 6th February 2014, 00:26   #3321
BHPian

Quote:
Chevrolet has revealed new face-lifted Beat in Auto Expo. The changes are mostly in Exterior. Interior is the same. Feature-wise in LT & LT(O) variants, steering mounted audio control is added and Auto Climate Control is removed.
Steering mounted controls are only on LT(O) variant and not LT according to company website:
http://www.chevrolet.co.in/beat-fuel...interiors.html

The facelift looks nicer but the car still looks more or less the same.
However all these doesn't justify the removal of climate control
Looks like Chevy is cutting corners to keep higher profit margins.

They released a new TV commercial also. Check it out :
Old 8th February 2014, 13:29   #3322
Senior - BHPian

HERE is the Up close and personal review of the Facelifted Chevy Beat.
Old 14th February 2014, 13:19   #3323
BHPian

Quote:
the problem is only when i start the car in the morning and i never ever face this issue.
Quote:
- Hard shifts
- Lugging/Stalling
- Sluggishness/Low FE
- Front suspension giving away
Chevy A.S.S. utterly failed to take care of any cited issues.
Quote:
For the last 1 month or so, I have noticed a very high drop in performance of the car.
- Low Pick Up (In all gears) + Ring Sound
- High RPM at low speeds. (3k at 75kmph)
- Thud noise from suspension.
Mr.Beat,
mi2n,
Soumyajit9,
Whether the above issues rectified or still persists.
Old 15th February 2014, 01:27   #3324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mr.Beat,
mi2n,
Soumyajit9,
Whether the above issues rectified or still persists.
Got my 30,000kms Service Done on 8th Feb (last weekend).

HERE is the report, up for everyone's review, analysis and future reference.

- Hard shifts - Resolved after the entire clutch assembly replacement.

- Lugging/Stalling - Resolved. I guess it was due to sparkplugs / clutch assembly issue.

- Sluggishness/Low FE - Sluggishness Gone. Low FE - Haven't checked. My Android phone was stolen. Yet to install a Fuel Monitoring app on my Nokia C7-00, to track FE.

- Front suspension giving away - Didn't report to Chevy A.S.S. Will do the wheel alignment and balancing this weekend and then report to A.S.S.

- Low Pick Up (In all gears) + Ring Sound - Resolved after the entire clutch assembly replacement.

- High RPM at low speeds. (3k at 75kmph) - Resolved. I guess replacement of all filters solved this issue.

- Thud noise from suspension - Didn't report to Chevy A.S.S. Will do the wheel alignment and balancing this weekend and then report to A.S.S.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 15th February 2014 at 01:28.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2014, 11:35   #3325
BHPian

Quote:
Got my 30,000kms Service Done on 8th Feb (last weekend).

- Hard shifts - Resolved after the entire clutch assembly replacement.

- Lugging/Stalling - Resolved. I guess it was due to sparkplugs / clutch assembly issue.

- Sluggishness/Low FE - Sluggishness Gone. Low FE - Haven't checked. My Android phone was stolen. Yet to install a Fuel Monitoring app on my Nokia C7-00, to track FE.

Thanks for the information. Guess similar work would be carried on in my case too. Did the invoice mention the amount charged for replacement of the entire clutch assembly? If so, please share.
Old 15th February 2014, 15:28   #3326
BHPian

Need to take mine in for service also (2010 lto) - 50k. No major problems at all, just the occasional rattle here or there after driving on a unpaved road.

One issue that has been bugging me though for the past one year is the door open indicator. I have given it for servicing numerous times with no relief. Chevy service has changed the fuse (don't know why), and the door sensors but still the problem remains.

Problem: Door open indicator lights up even if doors are closed and locked. Sometimes it just flickers, sometimes it stays on long enough for the hazards to turn on (normal outside blinking light when door is opened). This happens when i'm driving, when i'm stopped, after i've parked the car, on a hill, on a level road, at night and during the day. Its a pain because it means I can't use the alarm because the alarm goes off since it thinks the door is open. There is no pattern, no consistency, nothing of note to report as to why its happening.

I can't yell at chevy service because realistically, what can they do if they can't always reproduce the problem. So I come to the community looking for any assistance/suggestions. And yes, I've tried closing all the doors properly, doesn't make a difference. So I have no clue as to which door it is or even if it is a door.
Old 15th February 2014, 18:14   #3327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyf16 View Post
Problem: Door open indicator lights up even if doors are closed and locked. Sometimes it just flickers, sometimes it stays on long enough for the hazards to turn on (normal outside blinking light when door is opened). This happens when i'm driving, when i'm stopped, after i've parked the car, on a hill, on a level road, at night and during the day. Its a pain because it means I can't use the alarm because the alarm goes off since it thinks the door is open. There is no pattern, no consistency, nothing of note to report as to why its happening.
I had the same problem with my car some time ago. This had started happening on a long drive, after the car had its fair share of bumps and tosses. Generally happens owing to the hatch door, and not the front and rear ones. Probably the alignment of springs in the door sensor go awry. A proper thud to close the hatch properly solved the problem temporarily. Later, they carried out some alignment of the sensor at service centre and the problem was cured.
Old 15th February 2014, 19:20   #3328
BHPian

Hey guys why is the resale value of 2010 to 2012 Beat Petrol models so less? What has affected the resale value? I have been trying to sell my 2011 beat but not even able to fetch 2.5 lakhs for a well kept and low odo reading vehicle. The offers which i am getting is ridiculously low 2 Lakhs 2.1 Lakhs etc etc
Old 15th February 2014, 19:41   #3329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay87kumar View Post
I had the same problem with my car some time ago. This had started happening on a long drive, after the car had its fair share of bumps and tosses. Generally happens owing to the hatch door, and not the front and rear ones. Probably the alignment of springs in the door sensor go awry. A proper thud to close the hatch properly solved the problem temporarily. Later, they carried out some alignment of the sensor at service centre and the problem was cured.
Did you have to tell them anything (as in what to do) or did they know what was wrong? Trying to figure out if I should tell them to check the sensor alignment or just complain that the light is flickering... again.
Old 15th February 2014, 19:44   #3330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
Hey guys why is the resale value of 2010 to 2012 Beat Petrol models so less? What has affected the resale value? I have been trying to sell my 2011 beat but not even able to fetch 2.5 lakhs for a well kept and low odo reading vehicle. The offers which i am getting is ridiculously low 2 Lakhs 2.1 Lakhs etc etc
Don't know why you're getting values so low. Perhaps you have a color that is odd or not in demand (green for example). I've been offered upwards of 3 lakhs for mine (2010 lto) but I love my little beat so I turned it down. A quick used car search on cardekho showed beats in mumbai going for more than 3 lakhs as well. Maybe you're asking in the wrong places?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks