Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2014, 12:11   #3376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

So on 16th May my Beaty turned 4!

On 17th Saturday took her for 8th Service (ODO @ 28914 KMs)

This time I stressed them to tight engine mounts. The guy did it in front of me and it was really little loose. Front wipers replaced. Got the car back in 2 hours flat.

Fleecing customers is a regular affair at Metro. This time they didn't provide the usual 10% discount on labour. Don't know what is this 2 x car lubrication for Rs 800/- and 1 x fuel treatment for Rs 400/-.

Here is the service invoice

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-8th-service.jpg

A shot from their reception area of Beat's spare price list for fellow Beaters.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-spare-price-list.jpg

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 14:09   #3377
BHPian

Good to know that the 4 years servicing cost isn't a bomb. I have been paying close to 2500 regularly only for this time to have opted out of WB/WA. This time the SA also informed me that the interval has come 7500 Kms or 6 months.
Old 19th May 2014, 15:38   #3378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Fleecing customers is a regular affair at Metro. This time they didn't provide the usual 10% discount on labour. Don't know what is this 2 x car lubrication for Rs 800/- and 1 x fuel treatment for Rs 400/-.
Ask Service Manager to clarify what has been lubricated for Rs 800 and what kind of fuel treatment has been done for Rs. 400. As far as I know only locks, hindges and hood latch needs lubrication in Beat, which is a job of few rupee. Fuel treatment is actually fuel additives added in the fuel tank. Fuel additives like Servo Adon P, System G, Iftex etc. costs around Rs. 2/ml and recommended dosage is 1ml/litre, so even if 35 ml is added in full tank i.e. 35 l, it should not cost over RS. 70.
Old 19th May 2014, 16:14   #3379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
Ask Service Manager to clarify what has been lubricated for Rs 800 and what kind of fuel treatment has been done for Rs. 400.
Hi,

I asked SA for the clarification.

Lubrication done for Brake calipers, suspension joints, etc. Cost of 2 pouches of lubrication Rs. 800/-.

Then fuel treatment is some synthetic add-on directly to fuel tank for Injectors, Fuel line, Fuel pump self cleaning on the go. They used a single pouch for this which costs Rs.400/-.
Technically he may be correct but the costs are

Vinu
Old 19th May 2014, 17:37   #3380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Hi,

I asked SA for the clarification.

Lubrication done for Brake calipers, suspension joints, etc. Cost of 2 pouches of lubrication Rs. 800/-.

Then fuel treatment is some synthetic add-on directly to fuel tank for Injectors, Fuel line, Fuel pump self cleaning on the go. They used a single pouch for this which costs Rs.400/-.
Technically he may be correct but the costs are

Vinu
Please ask SA, brand of lubrication & fuel add-on and share.
Old 21st May 2014, 23:09   #3381
BHPian

Four years of trouble free running, and beat developed its first ailment today.

Some problem with the AC, the cooling is not effective as it used to be. Fan speed is fine. Happened after a servicing at local garage today. The driver had personally looked at the servicing, so there should not be concerns regarding replacing AC components. Any heads up please regarding this issue?
Old 22nd May 2014, 11:57   #3382
BHPian

Discovered a small issue with my Beat that I bought used last week. There is a rubber beading between the front windshield and bonnet. This beading runs across the length of the bonnet at the top from LHS to RHS. The main purpose of this is to prevent water from getting inside the engine bay from the opening that is there between the bonnet and glass.

Now the beading in my car is damaged towards both the sides and only the centre part is intact. Maybe caused by rats I guess. So I got a pressure wash done with the bonnet closed and discovered some water leaking into the engine bay from the opening above the bonnet.

Rains will start soon so are there any chances of damage happening if water keeps falling in the engine bay? Will the rubber beading be available easily? If yes then I'll just replace it. Anyone else faced this issue?
Attaching a pic from the first page and highlighted the said part.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-chevy_beat_01.jpg

Also, as mentioned earlier I had filled up 35-litres last week. After driving 320 kms the fuel light has started glowing. Driving included 30% highway and 70% city with AC always on (mostly position 2). I also redlined the car in 2nd gear many times. Did not drive too sedately. Will tank up today to see how much fuel goes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay87kumar View Post
Four years of trouble free running, and beat developed its first ailment today.

Some problem with the AC, the cooling is not effective as it used to be. Fan speed is fine. Happened after a servicing at local garage today. The driver had personally looked at the servicing, so there should not be concerns regarding replacing AC components. Any heads up please regarding this issue?
First get the AC gas pipes checked for any leakages. If all the pipes are fine then check the cooling coil also.

It happened in my Spark. The cooling coil got damaged and hence the AC wasn't cooling even though blower speed was fine. I had to replace the coil which cost me Rs. 6800 plus another 2300 for AC gas refill and service.

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th June 2014 at 08:17. Reason: See note in post.
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:48   #3383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Discovered a small issue with my Beat that I bought used last week. There is a rubber beading between the front windshield and bonnet. This beading runs across the length of the bonnet at the top from LHS to RHS. The main purpose of this is to prevent water from getting inside the engine bay from the opening that is there between the bonnet and glass.
Now the beading in my car is damaged towards both the sides and only the centre part is intact. Maybe caused by rats I guess. So I got a pressure wash done with the bonnet closed and discovered some water leaking into the engine bay from the opening above the bonnet.
Rains will start soon so are there any chances of damage happening if water keeps falling in the engine bay? Will the rubber beading be available easily? If yes then I'll just replace it. Anyone else faced this issue?
Well, not just water. It exposes the engine to Twigs from trees, flowers, leaves and other unwanted stuff going into the engine bay directly.
As such it is not recommended to pressure wash the engine bay, to avoid short circuit in battery, or other components damage, however I get it done once in 6 months or so.
But if you are washing your car regularly (even during standard body wash), water will seep into the engine bay, from top, which is definitely not good for the engine components.

My recommendation is to get a replacement rubber beading at the earliest. May be a few hundred bucks, but gives good privacy and safety to the engine bay.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 10:45   #3384
BHPian

Can anybody teach me how to take out the gear knob? There's no nut, allen screws or any locks visible from the pics. Tried to unscrew the whole knob from the stick but to no avail. My gear knob's top rubber coating where the gear lay out picture is peeling off due to poor build quality I am looking for some after market knobs. Will the Wagon R/ Swift will suit in?

Salbin, where's the lock located like you said earlier?

Here are the pics.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-20140523_083240.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-20140523_083306.jpg

Last edited by sajjt : 23rd May 2014 at 10:48.
Old 6th June 2014, 16:28   #3385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Can anybody teach me how to take out the gear knob? There's no nut, allen screws or any locks visible from the pics. Tried to unscrew the whole knob from the stick but to no avail. My gear knob's top rubber coating where the gear lay out picture is peeling off due to poor build quality I am looking for some after market knobs. Will the Wagon R/ Swift will suit in?

Salbin, where's the lock located like you said earlier?

Here are the pics.
Attachment 1243382

Attachment 1243383
I tried this too. The gear knob is designed to not come off. And if it does, you're going to have damaged threading.
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 13:04   #3386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
I tried this too. The gear knob is designed to not come off. And if it does, you're going to have damaged threading.
So the only option left with is the GM replacement which is going to happen after some time due to the build qulity

Any one else facing this issue or am I alone with this?

What about the GM after market replacement? Is there any suitable gear knobs for Beat? and will that be a good option better than the stock?

Last edited by sajjt : 7th June 2014 at 13:06.
Old 10th June 2014, 16:36   #3387
BHPian

[quote=StrangeWizard;3438888]Discovered a small issue with my Beat that I bought used last week. There is a rubber beading between the front windshield and bonnet. This beading runs across the length of the bonnet at the top from LHS to RHS. The main purpose of this is to prevent water from getting inside the engine bay from the opening that is there between the bonnet and glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

My recommendation is to get a replacement rubber beading at the earliest. May be a few hundred bucks, but gives good privacy and safety to the engine bay.
I have been searching hard but still haven't managed to find the rubber lining in a similar radius that the Beat uses. Has anyone else faced this issue?
Can someone please guide me if they know the part number of this particular rubber part.

I have tried a couple of garages and some part shops. Last option I will try tomorrow is the A.S.S but I am not sure whether they will sell me just the rubber lining.
Old 12th June 2014, 17:41   #3388
BHPian

^^ Finally got the damn rubber lining changed. Managed to source a new one in perfect size (4 ft 2 inch) and got it fitted. Also greased the driver's side power window which was slow due to dust accumulation and tight rubber beading. Cost INR 300/-

Got new Bosch wiper blades too. Cost INR 350 /- for the pair.

Car completes a month tomorrow and already driven 1000 kms. The engine isn't as peppy as the Spark while fuel efficiency is similar at 10-11 km/l. Visibility is poor but now I'm used to it.

Removed the Chevrolet badge from the rear. Now only Beat LS is there which will also be gone soon.

Next up - Carbon fibre wrap on the mirrors, logos and maybe that small spoiler.
Old 17th June 2014, 12:12   #3389
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

Finally I got the Golden Bowtie Logo for my Steering Horn Pad.
Have placed an order online. Will update once delivered.

I have included the product links and some more details and other interesting stuf on my ownership thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3457126
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 13:03   #3390
BHPian

Facing constant drop in car mileage since past 2-3 months, engine feels sore to drive sometimes and heavy lag noticeable when A/C is put on, I used to clock 14-15 kmpl while driving in city and 17-18 kmpl on highway, this has got reduced to 12.5 kmpl in city now and 14.5 kmpl in highway + city driving mix

Last time service advisor at Singh Motors workshop found AC alternator belt issue due to crackling noise that used to come sometimes beneath the steering wheel, he said replacement would not be needed as he would correct some settings, that noise has resurfaced again.

Could AC alternator belt be causing mileage drop? as I got tyres checked twice outside for any possible puncture, also got engine checked no issues spotted during servicing.

Please guide on other possible checks that can help identify root cause of this issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks