BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Here are some updated pictures of the T-Rex

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-1img_20140712_101827376001.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-1img_20140713_245118403-1.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-1img_20140713_245217690002.jpg

Cheers,
Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 13th July 2014 at 08:57.
samarth.bhatia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 02:02   #3407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Attachment 1260860
Attachment 1260861
Attachment 1260862
Cheers,
Sam
Those alloys are killer man !!!

I wish you had black racing strips running on the car, rather than the black bonnet and roof. Just a suggestion.
Old 16th July 2014, 19:30   #3408
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,
Sam
Looks good. Is that black paint or just vinyl that you have on the bonnet and roof?

If vinyl, then what type? Cast or checkered?
Old 16th July 2014, 19:37   #3409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Those alloys are killer man !!!

I wish you had black racing strips running on the car, rather than the black bonnet and roof. Just a suggestion.
Thanks Soumyajit..
Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Looks good. Is that black paint or just vinyl that you have on the bonnet and roof?

If vinyl, then what type? Cast or checkered?
It's just glossy vinyl. Plain type.

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 16th July 2014 at 19:38.
Old 16th July 2014, 20:38   #3410
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Soumyajit..
Appreciate it.

It's just glossy vinyl. Plain type.
I am planning to wrap my roof in matte orange since the car is black.

Did your installer tell you whether it would leave any gum residue after removing it?
Old 22nd July 2014, 22:59   #3411
BHPian

Hi everybody
Need guidance urgently
In one of my earlier posts I had mentioned that my signal indicator on the right bumper and the right door has been stolen. Bought a new one for rs 150(service center quoted rs 415) and had it fixed by the friendly neighbourhood mechanic. He is not an auto electrician but he did the job.
Since the last 3/4 days the ABS light which is above the RPM display lights up when I put on the ignition. I asked the FNM and he said not to worry. Just wanted to make sure if it is OK. Incidentally what does ABS stand for? Mine is the LT/cheaper model and AFAIK does not have anti skid brakes.
I spoke to FNM and he said that as rats had chewed the wire and to rectify it I have to remove the head lamps and then replace the wire.For that I will have to take it to an auto electrician
My queries
1) The light and the importance of it and the full meaning of ABS.The car has been running everyday.No issue/problem.
2) Is the neighbourhood electrician good enough to do a decent job when removing and refitting the headlamp. I have been using his services for quite a few years.In fact when rats chewed the wiring he spliced it at quite a few places and since then it is OK
Please guide urgently.
Thanks a lot
Regards
Old 23rd July 2014, 00:46   #3412
Senior - BHPian

Hi, ABS stands for Anti-Lock Breaking System. The light comes on only when the ABS is on, i.e. when the car is skidding or whatever. Since the Beats instrument cluster is shared between the models Im guessing the light for ABS is present in the car along with the wiring.
When the mechanic has fixed your turn signal light or maybe because of the rats there is a cross connection due to which the ABS light is coming on. While this wouldnt indicate any mechanical problem, it could lead to a short circuit
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 08:03   #3413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Since the last 3/4 days the ABS light which is above the RPM display lights up when I put on the ignition. I asked the FNM and he said not to worry.
It is unusual for ABS Lights to come one just during ignition. Indicates a problem with either the ABS Module (Only present on Beat LT Options Pack, the one which comes with Alloys), or a problem with the wiring which may be having a cross connection somewhere.

Quote:
Just wanted to make sure if it is OK. Incidentally what does ABS stand for?
As explained by Mortis, it is anti lock braking system. So what is does is does not lock up the wheels during a high speed sudden braking. This avoids skidding or spinning of the car. Google up, there are zillions of videos and explanations about how ABS works.

Quote:
Mine is the LT/cheaper model and AFAIK does not have anti skid brakes.
LT is the highest variant of Beat.
LT Options Pack is the same as LT with ABS, Airbags and Alloy Wheels.

Quote:
I spoke to FNM and he said that as rats had chewed the wire and to rectify it I have to remove the head lamps and then replace the wire.For that I will have to take it to an auto electrician
Whatever he meant to convey, please take it to Chevrolet A.S.S only. Please do not let any local auto electrician to fiddle with ABS related stuff.

Quote:
My queries
1) The light and the importance of it and the full meaning of ABS.The car has been running everyday.No issue/problem.
Yes, it is a problem. If your car has ABS, it is a major problem that the light is ON all the time. If your car doesn't have ABS it is also a major problem as there is an electrical problem with the car, which can turn bad.

Quote:
2) Is the neighbourhood electrician good enough to do a decent job when removing and refitting the headlamp. I have been using his services for quite a few years.In fact when rats chewed the wiring he spliced it at quite a few places and since then it is OK
I cannot rely on my neigthbourhood electrician for these kind of issues.
Fixing a DRL, or a Sill Plate, or Replacing a bulb is OK.
Fixing ABS related wiring issues, I will take it only to Chevy A.S.S.

PS: I might sound very much concerning or worried about the ABS light, but as a matter of fact, even though your car has ABS or does not have, it is a big issue.
Reiterating:
- If your car has ABS, it is a major problem that the light is ON all the time. Compromises the safety of the car.
- If your car doesn't have ABS it is also a major problem as there is an electrical problem with the car, which can turn bad.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 23:02   #3414
BHPian

Mortis/Soumyajit
Hi
Many thanks for your response. I wouldn't know what to do without you people and others guiding me.
Oops. My car is a LS and not LT. And so does not have ABS
Called up the technical guy at A.S.S.(Nikhil) and explained to him. He too suggested that it is a wiring problem and due some earthing problem the light could be on. The ABS light is in all the cars irrespective of the model.So the light being on shouldn't be a problem However he would recheck with his senior technical guy and ask him(the senior) to call me.He didn't call today so I will call him tomorrow.
They have overcharged me a lot at the time of servicing in Feb. Members here also felt that I have been gypped. Another point is that I will have to take the car personally there which is about 10 kms. So as far as possible would like to avoid.
Subsequently spoke to the FNM and he said not to worry.But I would like to get the thing sorted out ASAP. My query is would a good auto electrician outside be good enough to remove the headlamps and replace them.
Once again thanks a lot for your help.
Regards
PS: Marlon. Seeing a post by you after a long time. As National(this was near your place of work) has closed where do you take your car? You had 2 bad experiences with Nikhil.

Last edited by faustus77 : 25th July 2014 at 23:03.
Old 29th July 2014, 20:47   #3415
BHPian

Mortis/Soumyajit
Hi
As posted earlier by me I spoke to the technical guy who in turn spoke to his senior about it.
Their contention was that it is not an issue but a small wiring/ earthing problem which can be rectified at the time of the next service ( due in august). He also assured me that since it is a LS model and does not have ABS it can wait.
Once again thanks a lot for your guidance
Regards
Old 30th July 2014, 07:56   #3416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Mortis/Soumyajit
Hi
As posted earlier by me I spoke to the technical guy who in turn spoke to his senior about it.
Their contention was that it is not an issue but a small wiring/ earthing problem which can be rectified at the time of the next service ( due in august). He also assured me that since it is a LS model and does not have ABS it can wait.
Once again thanks a lot for your guidance
Regards
Good to know that it has been identified as an earthing problem and not something major with ABS (Since LS doesn't have ABS).

Not a biggea and can wait till Service (if its at the start of Aug). If the service is late in August, then please get it rectified by going to CASS sooner. I know its far, but we need to make choices for safety over driveability.
Earthing problem IS a problem and needs to be attended. You won't want a car with blown fuses.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 20:35   #3417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
I am planning to wrap my roof in matte orange since the car is black.

Did your installer tell you whether it would leave any gum residue after removing it?
It might leave behind some gum residue - but that should be removable with a good wash. If not, then its possible to get the car professionally buffed with a machine - that will definitely take care of any sticky residue.
Old 30th August 2014, 00:26   #3418
BHPian

Hi everybody
Service for my Beat is due in August but I am very reluctant to send it to the A.S.S. as they overcharged me. I had posted about it earlier.
In spite of asking the CS executive quite a few times for the explanation of the bill nothing has happened. Spoke to the GM and posted on FB to no avail.
Now my query is whether I should get it serviced at the friendly petrol pump. As it is it is raining in Bombay and I may need it to get it serviced again after another 3 months.
Thanks a lot in advance
Regards
PS: My posts 3414 and 3415 I got it rectified by the problem by the neighbourhood electrician. Just took him 10/15 minutes and he charged me all of Rs 50. It is been 15 days and it is working fine. Will definitely have it rechecked when it goes back to the A.S.S
Old 1st September 2014, 11:41   #3419
BHPian

Hello Guys,

Can you please quickly recommend tyres from the following? I have run close to 47k on the stock ones and will need to change in sometime

165/70 R14 ( Majorly looking at 70 because it will help with the GC)
165/65 R14 ( This seems a near perfect fit)
175/65 R14

Brands?

I'm looking for one's which are durable along with well built sidewalls
Old 1st September 2014, 12:16   #3420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Can you please quickly recommend tyres
Best upgrade is 175/65/R14 with little improvement in GC. You can use the stock rim too.

Results from http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-tyre-comp.jpg

For better side-wall and durable one you can select from either Apollo Aceleres or Yokohama Earth 1 brands.

Cheers!

Vinu

Most Viewed