Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2014, 12:50   #3421
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Best upgrade is 175/65/R14 with little improvement in GC. You can use the stock rim too.

Results from http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

Attachment 1281183

For better side-wall and durable one you can select from either Apollo Aceleres or Yokohama Earth 1 brands.

Cheers!

Vinu
Thanks Vinu for the quick reply.

I am circumspect with respect to the decrease in mileage when upgrading to 175.

Apollo Accelere stock tyres lasted well so i am inclined to go for the same make
Old 1st September 2014, 13:31   #3422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Thanks Vinu for the quick reply.
With 175 our little Beaty will transform to a sure foot planted beauty

Mileage hit will be negligible. Many BHPians already upgraded to the same.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 13:44   #3423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
With 175 our little Beaty will transform to a sure foot planted beauty

Mileage hit will be negligible. Many BHPians already upgraded to the same.

Cheers!
Thanks for the advice Vinu, will check the prices and upgrade soon.

As per our discuss 175/65 Apollo Accelere seems to be good
Mr.Beat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 14:56   #3424
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Vinu, will check the prices and upgrade soon.

As per our discuss 175/65 Apollo Accelere seems to be good
There was no drop in FE for me - I replaced my JKs with Yoko A-drive 175/65.
Because of slight increase in the tyre diameter, there will be a small error in the speedo/odo reading - when the odo shows 100 km, actually the vehicle would have covered (100+x) km, where x= speedo error.

Last month one of my A-drive got a sidewall cut and it has become useless. Claimed for warranty and they rejected the claim stating they will cover only manufacturing defects :(
Finally decided for desi rubber and bought Apollo.
salbin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 15:16   #3425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
There was no drop in FE for me - I replaced my JKs with Yoko A-drive 175/65.
Because of slight increase in the tyre diameter, there will be a small error in the speedo/odo reading - when the odo shows 100 km, actually the vehicle would have covered (100+x) km, where x= speedo error.

Last month one of my A-drive got a sidewall cut and it has become useless. Claimed for warranty and they rejected the claim stating they will cover only manufacturing defects :(
Finally decided for desi rubber and bought Apollo.
Thanks for the reply and confirmation Sablin. I'll look out for 175/65 only now and Apollo/Goodyear in case of brands. Not looking for fancy brand names.

Also, have you guys replaced all 5 together? The local dealers suggested me to change only 4 and use 1 old good conditioned tyre as spare to be used only in case of puncture
Old 1st September 2014, 15:37   #3426
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply and confirmation Sablin. I'll look out for 175/65 only now and Apollo/Goodyear in case of brands. Not looking for fancy brand names.

Also, have you guys replaced all 5 together? The local dealers suggested me to change only 4 and use 1 old good conditioned tyre as spare to be used only in case of puncture
I have only 4 alloy wheels. Spare wheel is steel rim. Hence I am following 4 wheel rotation sequence.

If you have one good tyre, then go ahead and replace set of 4 new tyres and follow 4 wheel rotation.

Since I carry a portable compressor, my spare wheel was never used during past 4 and half years
It is worth spending ~1k for a compressor than spending 4k+ for replacing 5th wheel tyre.
Old 1st September 2014, 16:30   #3427
BHPian

Quote:
First let me second Salbin in saying that there has been no noticeable change in FE after my upgrade to 175/65/R14 A drives. My car has currently done 65k of which the last 23k are on the fatter rubber.

However, I did face issues retaining the stock spare (155 patch) on every occasion I needed to use it. The car would have a distinct tilted stance with the spare in action and swayed alarmingly towards one side while being driven on good tarmac. I was forced to buy a 5th tyre (175 patch A drive) soon. The fun however is that the fatter rubber is a tight fit in the boot and bringing it out or shoving it back in place needs some effort.
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 17:16   #3428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
First let me second Salbin in saying that there has been no noticeable change in FE after my upgrade to 175/65/R14 A drives. My car has currently done 65k of which the last 23k are on the fatter rubber.

However, I did face issues retaining the stock spare (155 patch) on every occasion I needed to use it. The car would have a distinct tilted stance with the spare in action and swayed alarmingly towards one side while being driven on good tarmac. I was forced to buy a 5th tyre (175 patch A drive) soon. The fun however is that the fatter rubber is a tight fit in the boot and bringing it out or shoving it back in place needs some effort.
Thank you Mi2n for adding another perspective. So it seems that the spare tyre would be dangerous and useless if others are 175. The dilemma now would be to add 4 tyres of 175 each and a buy a air pump or take 5 175's. Confusion
Old 1st September 2014, 18:02   #3429
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Mi2n for adding another perspective. So it seems that the spare tyre would be dangerous and useless if others are 175. The dilemma now would be to add 4 tyres of 175 each and a buy a air pump or take 5 175's. Confusion
My suggestion is to use spare wheel only in case of emergency and get the puncture repaired immediately and replace.
Same arrangement is also being used by many of the OEMs towards cost reduction.

The reason I mentioned about the compressor is that in case of most of the puncture, you can inflate the tyre and still use it to reach the puncture shop. I have even used it to postpone my visit to puncture shop by 3 days!

Another advantage of having tubeless tyre is that you need not remove the wheel from the car for fixing the puncture - provided you have provision for inflating it as and when required.
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:20   #3430
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have had to move out of the country on a very short notice and had to send my car from Bangalore to Kolkata to my parents. Although they have an extreme requirement for a car, they are unable to use it for the fear of the police catching them. If anyone (esp mi2n) can provide me clues as how to pay the road tax in Kolkata and continue using my car there , it would be immensely helpful . Changing registration is out of question , since I am the owner, and am not present there. I just want to pay my road taxes in Kolkata and drive there.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd September 2014, 16:56   #3431
Senior - BHPian

I too support Salbin in this case. My spare wheel is still brand new. Never removed it till date. Only inflated it to 35 psi occasionally. But I carry a double-barrel foot pump for last 4.3 years in the boot and used it few times too. You can fill the tyre from 0 to 35 psi in less than 5 minutes.

I follow a 4 wheel rotation. My tyre change is approaching and I am going for 175/65/R14 Apollo Acceleres. A spare tyre of stock size can be used for emergencies (if there is cut in the rubber and air escapes instantly or a bend rim) to reach till next available road side puncture wala.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 2nd September 2014, 18:07   #3432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Hi Guys,

I have had to move out of the country on a very short notice and had to send my car from Bangalore to Kolkata to my parents. Although they have an extreme requirement for a car, they are unable to use it for the fear of the police catching them. If anyone (esp mi2n) can provide me clues as how to pay the road tax in Kolkata and continue using my car there , it would be immensely helpful . Changing registration is out of question , since I am the owner, and am not present there. I just want to pay my road taxes in Kolkata and drive there.

Thanks in advance!
In my daily mundane office commute I do notice quite a few out of state registered cars plying within the city. In fact, our office Innova is a Daman registered vehicle ferrying staff in and around Kolkata for the last 2 years without any interventions by the authorities. Just verified that the vehicle has recently paid road tax in Daman again(5 year old) and no such tax were paid to any RTO in WB. KL/KA/DL registered cars are pretty common too and growing in numbers especially in and around the IT establishments. These are being used as daily drives. I am not acquainted with the exact provisions of law but I don't find the authorities taking any offence to out-of-state cars plying in the city.
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 18:21   #3433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance!
As I know, the harassment of other state vehicles is only there in KA.
So you can use it in WB as it is.. and in worst case scenario if rto ask for road tax, then only pay the tax.
If you are sure of not returning to KA, then get NOC from KA and pay the tax in WB and after 6 months apply for address change and new WB number.
Old 6th September 2014, 20:04   #3434
BHPian

I have now upgraded to 4 * 175/65 R 14 Goodyear Assurance tyres which i got for 3700 per tyre manufactured in 34th week of 2014. As advised, i have kept one good tyre as spare in case something goes kaput.

There is a 3 year warranty on the tyre for manufacturer defect and 1 year sidewall guarantee ( Replacement in case of sidewall puncture ).
Mr.Beat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 23:32   #3435
Senior - BHPian

It's on the stock rims, right?

Now do some serious miles and pen down the difference.

Cheers!

Vinu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks