Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2015, 17:25   #3481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchahal View Post
The mileage is hovering above 20 kmpl without AC and considering its a new engine, I feel it will become better only with time.
Hope this is Diesel Beat else .

If diesel, kindly move this post to www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/104484-chevrolet-beat-tcdi-diesel-test-drive-review.html

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 2nd January 2015 at 17:27.
Old 2nd January 2015, 22:19   #3482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Hope this is Diesel Beat else .

If diesel, kindly move this post to www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/104484-chevrolet-beat-tcdi-diesel-test-drive-review.html

Cheers!

Vinu
Indeed this is a Diesel Beat else 20kmpl remains a dream for many. The main criteria of owing this less powerful vehicle was to be happy about the economy, as I was quite surprised by the 12 kmpl Chevy Spark I had earlier. How much decrease in mileage to expect in summers when AC runs at full blast?
Old 2nd January 2015, 23:44   #3483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchahal View Post
How much decrease in mileage to expect in summers when AC runs at full blast?
Around 2 to 2.5 kmpl less. But within city it may even go 1 more kmpl down.

Cheers!
Old 26th January 2015, 16:04   #3484
BHPian

Chevy Beat : Low volume beep coming from Engine Bay

Hello All,

I tried searching existing threads but couldn't find anything on a singular problem I am noticing with my Chevy Beat Diesel.

My car is starting to sometimes emit a foul smell at start (From neighbors, I didn't notice this), is showing an engine malfunction light before starting the engine.

I opened up the engine bay lid and am hearing a continuous low volume sound (something like a water purifier ). I am wondering if there is some thing wrong with my car.

Also recently I have had to make multiple trips to Sarjapur village near Bangalore and the road have large craters and speed bumps that scrape even with out any passengers. Needless to say my car has got scrapped multiple times and I fear if this has to do anything with the problem at hand.

Request you guys to throw some light on whether there is a potential issue with my car or am I just imagining things ?
Old 26th January 2015, 16:23   #3485
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevy Beat : Low volume beep coming from Engine Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
My car is starting to sometimes emit a foul smell at start (From neighbors, I didn't notice this), is showing an engine malfunction light before starting the engine.
See if anything outlined in this article helps.
http://www.wikihow.com/Diagnose-Car-Smells
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...repair/2423551

I suggest you to have an expert take a look.
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 18:26   #3486
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi charanreddy,

The ECL is ON for a reason. Plug in an OBD or go to A.S.S and check what the light indicates. After which sort out the issue, and see if your problems still exist.

Then, we will move to the next step in diagnosing.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 20:10   #3487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I opened up the engine bay lid and am hearing a continuous low volume sound (something like a water purifier ). I am wondering if there is some thing wrong with my car.

Not sure about the foul smell but, is this sound heard when the engine is off but key in ON position? In my SX4 I hear continuous sounds from two sources - 1. ABS motor and 2. Throttle motor. Sometimes intermittent, but most prominent when turning the key to ON position and after switching off the car. I shall record it sometime if possible.

And the malfunction light should glow before starting the engine. In fact, all lights must glow before ignition to show you that they are working. It shouldnt come ON, stay ON or flash when the engine is running. Sometimes that happens too, for example when my dad drove the car initially(6yrs back) the engine would be so silent we wouldnt know if it was being lugged. Hence when the car became too slow in second or third gear the the ECL light used to glow. This is normal and nothing to worry about. It should not turn on or flash during normal driving.

Last edited by audioholic : 26th January 2015 at 20:15.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 00:15   #3488
BHPian

I think foul smell can be attributed to bad fuel ? Because I get the smell rarely on my Ritz too that is if you are talking about the pungent smell from the exhaust. As already mentioned CEL will come on when you switch on ignition and go off once you fire up the engine. That's absolutely normal.
aswin ajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 01:15   #3489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Not sure about the foul smell but, is this sound heard when the engine is off but key in ON position? In my SX4 I hear continuous sounds from two sources - 1. ABS motor and 2. Throttle motor. Sometimes intermittent, but most prominent when turning the key to ON position and after switching off the car. I shall record it sometime if possible.

And the malfunction light should glow before starting the engine. In fact, all lights must glow before ignition to show you that they are working. It shouldnt come ON, stay ON or flash when the engine is running. Sometimes that happens too, for example when my dad drove the car initially(6yrs back) the engine would be so silent we wouldnt know if it was being lugged. Hence when the car became too slow in second or third gear the the ECL light used to glow. This is normal and nothing to worry about. It should not turn on or flash during normal driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin ajith View Post
I think foul smell can be attributed to bad fuel ? Because I get the smell rarely on my Ritz too that is if you are talking about the pungent smell from the exhaust. As already mentioned CEL will come on when you switch on ignition and go off once you fire up the engine. That's absolutely normal.
It is not glowing when I am driving so hopefully there is nothing wrong. I will try and record the beep sound I am hearing from the engine bay.

The CEL light is confusing. At first It used to just glow during the initial few seconds and used to turn off even when Ignition was on.

Now it continue to glow until I crank the engine and start. Does this mean some thing ?
Old 28th January 2015, 09:19   #3490
BHPian

Quote:

The CEL light is confusing. At first It used to just glow during the initial few seconds and used to turn off even when Ignition was on.

Now it continue to glow until I crank the engine and start. Does this mean some thing ?
If its the check engine light you are talking about it will only go off when fire up the engine. It will not go off after a few seconds when you turn on ignition. AFAIK the only warning lights that are supposed to go off immediately after IGN ON are temperature and parking brake lights that is if you haven't engaged parking lever. Else that will also stay on.
Old 1st February 2015, 22:40   #3491
BHPian

am going in for my 60k service. nothing much to report, still chugging along. mine is a 2010 jan or feb model so more likely than not, there will be the recall notice when I give it. There's been one issue that literally creeped up in the past few days. I think it's related to the fuel pump, I'll explain below.

After the car has run for a bit, maybe a 15 or 20km run and i'm parking it, at night, i'll notice that parking lights are flickering. Kinda like a scooter, if I turn on the headlights, then you can't see it (probably because of the sheer amount of light). So I took it for a longer drive the other day and noticed that on idle, if the a/c was on, the a/c control panel was also flickering. Dash and cd player display was perfectly fine with no flicker or what not. So I pulled the window switch up (with the windows already up) and I could hear a low pitched whine. Normally I hear that low pitched whine when the fuel pump is about to go and is using more power than normal.

Any ideas as to what the flickering is?
Old 2nd February 2015, 03:37   #3492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyf16 View Post
am going in for my 60k service. nothing much to report, still chugging along. mine is a 2010 jan or feb model so more likely than not, there will be the recall notice when I give it. There's been one issue that literally creeped up in the past few days. I think it's related to the fuel pump, I'll explain below.

After the car has run for a bit, maybe a 15 or 20km run and i'm parking it, at night, i'll notice that parking lights are flickering. Kinda like a scooter, if I turn on the headlights, then you can't see it (probably because of the sheer amount of light). So I took it for a longer drive the other day and noticed that on idle, if the a/c was on, the a/c control panel was also flickering. Dash and cd player display was perfectly fine with no flicker or what not. So I pulled the window switch up (with the windows already up) and I could hear a low pitched whine. Normally I hear that low pitched whine when the fuel pump is about to go and is using more power than normal.

Any ideas as to what the flickering is?
Errr, all the symptoms point to a Battery issue.
None of them sound remotely close to fuel pump issue.

Since it is an early 2010 model, the battery has almost served its life. Please ask the A.S.S to check the battery and if it needs any replacement, or just some distilled water top up.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 13:50   #3493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Errr, all the symptoms point to a Battery issue.
None of them sound remotely close to fuel pump issue.

Since it is an early 2010 model, the battery has almost served its life. Please ask the A.S.S to check the battery and if it needs any replacement, or just some distilled water top up.
thanks for the reply. I had discounted the battery since I just replaced it last year with a brand new exide from the A.S.S. ; I'll tell them to check it out, would be shocked if that's the case. I've always thought that when a battery was dying that it would show with the cranking. The beat starts immediately, even if its been left alone for a few days. Just hope its not anything serious.
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:22   #3494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyf16 View Post
thanks for the reply. I had discounted the battery since I just replaced it last year with a brand new exide from the A.S.S. ; I'll tell them to check it out, would be shocked if that's the case. I've always thought that when a battery was dying that it would show with the cranking. The beat starts immediately, even if its been left alone for a few days. Just hope its not anything serious.
Ohh, I see. So this is a pretty new battery. Should not show any weakness then.
Agree with the first symptom being the crank. Since the engine fires up well, the problem could be with something else. May be some wiring. The A.S.S should be able to give the correct possibilities.
I still would say that a fuel pump issue is not related the symptoms that you are having.
A continuous (even while driving) whining noise from the fuel pump (underneath the rear seat) is the symptom for a failed fuel pump.

Nevertheless, when you go for service, please check with the A.S.S with your VIN, to see if your car is eligible for the fuel pump replacement.
Old 4th February 2015, 19:24   #3495
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I had installed fog lamps in my Beat about a year earlier, but they are useless with no spread and barely serve their purpose. Any brighter replacements suggested? Now that the car is in Kolkata, I can have better options(I hope)

Most Viewed