Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2015, 07:49   #3496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Hi Guys,

I had installed fog lamps in my Beat about a year earlier, but they are useless with no spread and barely serve their purpose. Any brighter replacements suggested? Now that the car is in Kolkata, I can have better options(I hope)
Most of the after market (Read: Chinese) ones will offer poor performance.
Either go for Philips branded, but take it to a reliable lighting solution shop.l for buying and installation.
Else check at the Chevy A.S.S. Prices are pretty much reasonable these days, plus you get the benefit of throwing it back at them incase of any problems.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 11:49   #3497
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Guys my sister's beat has been diagnosed with a ignition coil and a cord wire issue as per the Chevy A.S.S. They have quoted 9.5k including labor for same.
The car was unused for close to 2 years and the service advisor said the parts mentioned above have corroded a bit and need to be changed.

The car has done around 15K kms. Can a sparingly used car with just 15k kms done have a ignition coil issue. The problem while driving the car is that it shudders and there is poor pickup. Also the check engine light is displayed while driving. Can the parts be bought from outside for cheaper cost ?

Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 16:18   #3498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys my sister's beat has been diagnosed with a ignition coil and a cord wire issue as per the Chevy A.S.S. They have quoted 9.5k including labor for same.
The car was unused for close to 2 years and the service advisor said the parts mentioned above have corroded a bit and need to be changed.

The car has done around 15K kms. Can a sparingly used car with just 15k kms done have a ignition coil issue. The problem while driving the car is that it shudders and there is poor pickup. Also the check engine light is displayed while driving. Can the parts be bought from outside for cheaper cost ?

Thanks
Yes, a sparingly used car is more prone to corrosion and failures / seizures.
If the Chevy A.S.S have diagnosed the issue to an ignition coil, it could be the correct case.
The bad part is that Chevy parts cannot be bought from outside stores. You have to buy them from the Chevy A.S.S only.
You can find 'compatible' aftermarket non-chevy branded parts, but it is a risk to put such parts in the car.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 18:09   #3499
BHPian

Guys, Amazon.in just started the automotive department and they've got some OE spares for those who are more lean to DIY or FNM. OE fog lamps from GM will cost a bomb including the switch gear stalk and here you can get the original just for 755 per piece. Beware; and there's duplicates are also there. So don’t go by the price. OE horn is just for 498/, front disk brake rotor is only for 973/ where GM charges 1500 approx. Air cleaner element is just 235/. Front Suspension Strut Mount Assembly 727/- including VAT.

WORST SERVICE FROM GM:
My car was giving a soft thud thud noise from the front left side wheel and GM guys blindly replaced both the Front Suspension Strut Mount Assembly it cost me around 950~ per piece and VAT extra! And the sound still persists I took the car from the workshop very late so there was no service personals to come with me for a test drive. Total damage was around 4000/- and they were so generous to tell me that if the sound pops again please do make a visit to their workshop at my convenience. I gave them a mouthful and left from there, what a DAYLIGHT ROBBERRY I don't have much money to try my luck with GM with their so called experts so I relied on my FNM who works on multi brands and he identified the issue in no time! It was just a rubber bush (Brake Pin Caliper Guide) was making this sound but he doesn’t have stock to replace it, duly contacted GM for the spare but they were out of stock!. My friend temporarily inserted a thin sheet to make it comfortably seated and it worked till yesterday. Imagine how irresponsibly they wasted my hard earned money just for a rubber bush costing less than Rs.300/-! From this instance onwards, am one of the avid fan of the FNM and hell with GM as long as am not troubled with serious issues.

Today I saw Amazon has this stock and ordered 2 nos for 258/ per piece. From the pictures it’s as same as the GM offers, the same OE packing. So give a try if you are short of these items.

Last edited by sajjt : 19th February 2015 at 18:15.
sajjt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 09:44   #3500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
My car was giving a soft thud thud noise from the front left side wheel .........My friend temporarily inserted a thin sheet to make it comfortably seated and it worked till yesterday. Imagine how irresponsibly they wasted my hard earned money just for a rubber bush costing less than Rs.300/-! From this instance onwards, am one of the avid fan of the FNM and hell with GM as long as am not troubled with serious issues.
Today I saw Amazon has this stock and ordered 2 nos for 258/ per piece. From the pictures it’s as same as the GM offers, the same OE packing. So give a try if you are short of these items.
Wow ! That thud noise is very high in my Beat since the last 1.5 years. After multiple follow ups with Kropex Chevrolet, Bangalore, they said it is normal and were unwilling to replace anything under warranty.

Now that the car is out of warranty, I am yet to find a FNG.

On the other hand, could you please take some pictures of the rubber bush and guide me on how to fix it in the car. I will order it on Amazon (please share the link) and try to install that myself, else take it to any FNG and get it done.
Old 20th February 2015, 11:16   #3501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Most of the after market (Read: Chinese) ones will offer poor performance.
Either go for Philips branded, but take it to a reliable lighting solution shop.l for buying and installation.
Else check at the Chevy A.S.S. Prices are pretty much reasonable these days, plus you get the benefit of throwing it back at them incase of any problems.
It was definitely not Chinese. You remember, when we did your DIY thingy- I told you about getting those installed from the shop beside Kropex?
Old 20th February 2015, 11:30   #3502
BHPian

Quote:
Wow ! That thud noise is very high in my Beat since the last 1.5 years. After multiple follow ups with Kropex Chevrolet, Bangalore, they said it is normal and were unwilling to replace anything under warranty.

Now that the car is out of warranty, I am yet to find a FNG.

On the other hand, could you please take some pictures of the rubber bush and guide me on how to fix it in the car. I will order it on Amazon (please share the link) and try to install that myself, else take it to any FNG and get it done.
Soumyajit, they(GM) were taking a ride on me or thats what I felt last time, I couldn't scribble a word of thanks to GM authorities after that and now its long back story. These guys must have delegated to some fresh grease monkeys and they've done some baseless juggad work on it. I guess that's what happened to my case. At least they could've taken the car for a test drive after their professional fix like I've convinced them about the sound at the time of giving the car. Yeah, I think it's a DIY for a person like you.

Oops.. its out of stock now Till yesterday it was available, I guess its some kind of stock clearance. Anyways its in my orders history, attaching a screen shot of this along with a few picture references.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-caliper-pin.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-caliper-pina.jpg

But why GM is not following this simple tip that it should not be reused?:

For more details, I got this from google, but there are many out there as its not a rare thing to replace.
http://www.filtsai.com/accord/brake_rotors/
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 11:54   #3503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
It was definitely not Chinese. You remember, when we did your DIY thingy- I told you about getting those installed from the shop beside Kropex?
Check out the OEM Fog Lamp on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.in/Chevrolet-Perfo...ement+for+Beat
Order fast, before it runs out of stock.

Quote:
Soumyajit, they(GM) were taking a ride on me or thats what I felt last time, I couldn't scribble a word of thanks to GM authorities after that and now its long back story. These guys must have delegated to some fresh grease monkeys and they've done some baseless juggad work on it. I guess that's what happened to my case. At least they could've taken the car for a test drive after their professional fix like I've convinced them about the sound at the time of giving the car. Yeah, I think it's a DIY for a person like you.
The least said about GM service guys, the better !
Everytime I take the car to them, I would have to force them into driving the car to identify the problems. Then they would drive on smooth tarmac and jot down some gibberish like tighten brake, grease doors, etc.
They never noted or acknowldged the suspension sound issue.

Quote:
Oops.. its out of stock now. Till yesterday it was available, I guess its some kind of stock clearance.
Can't thank you enough for the tip and help ! Sad, it is out of stock. Infact Amazon has removed it from the listing itself.

So I went ahead and ordered a Rear wiper blade. It hasn't been changed since I bough the car 4 years back !
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 12:24   #3504
BHPian

Quote:
Check out the OEM Fog Lamp on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.in/Chevrolet-Perfo...ement+for+Beat
Order fast, before it runs out of stock.
Soumyajit, is it for a replacement or a fresh install? They've got only one side else, I would've ordered it yesterday itself

Its a genuine stuff I guess, the back side of the bulb is printed as Made in Germany and its got alignment screw where on the local made one doesn't have this.

Quote:
The least said about GM service guys, the better !
Everytime I take the car to them, I would have to force them into driving the car to identify the problems. Then they would drive on smooth tarmac and jot down some gibberish like tighten brake, grease doors, etc.
They never noted or acknowldged the suspension sound issue.
Exactly, they are too busy with the work load now a days. We have to insist them to take a test drive but what difference it makes as long as they are not attending it properly?

Quote:
Can't thank you enough for the tip and help ! Sad, it is out of stock. Infact Amazon has removed it from the listing itself.

So I went ahead and ordered a Rear wiper blade. It hasn't been changed since I bough the car 4 years back !
Thank you, may be mine was the last pair which I didn't noticed at the time of purchase. Have you check with GM? or as a last resort, why don't you take it out and source it from your FNS who has some decent stocks? If you are lucky, you may find a suitable one from these shops. After all its not a life threatening part, its just a seating rubber bush which makes the caliper pin seated comfortably without any noise on the move. Correct me if am wrong.

BTW, Do you feel the price difference with GM?

Where's Salbin? our jack of all trades Are you still busy with your little angel? Jokes apart, being a technical person you can give us a better explanation.

EDIT: Got a piece of information just now:
Caliper Guide Pins (Checking/Reconditioning/Replacement)
Since the fixed end of the caliper needs to move sideways (inwards) as the pads wear down, the guide pins to which it is mounted (photo below left) are designed to move with it. These also need to be pushed back in (towards the outside of the vehicle) so the calipers will fit back on over the new pads. The pins are supposed to move freely but I found a couple of mine were a bit stiff and had to be forced back in with a C clamp. What I should have done is replaced them or at least removed, cleaned and greased them and their guides. This should be done even if they are moving freely -- you can get brake grease (or caliper pin grease) at any auto parts store.

Source:
http://www.rangerovers.net/maintenance/brakejob4.html

So guys, itching your hands after reading this? Am gonna grease my two guides as soon as I get the new one. Good luck to all DIY fans.

Last edited by sajjt : 20th February 2015 at 12:30.
Old 20th February 2015, 14:52   #3505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Soumyajit, is it for a replacement or a fresh install? They've got only one side else, I would've ordered it yesterday itself.....Its a genuine stuff I guess, the back side of the bulb is printed as Made in Germany and its got alignment screw where on the local made one doesn't have this.
Is there any difference of design for left and right side parts ? I wonder ! All screws and bolts locaton should be identical for both sides.
Quote:
Thank you, may be mine was the last pair which I didn't noticed at the time of purchase. Have you check with GM? or as a last resort, why don't you take it out and source it from your FNS who has some decent stocks? If you are lucky, you may find a suitable one from these shops. After all its not a life threatening part, its just a seating rubber bush which makes the caliper pin seated comfortably without any noise on the move. Correct me if am wrong.
40k service is due in March, will take it up with A.S.S then.
Not life threatening, but I feel very cautious and nervous when it goes over potholes or slight cracks on the road, and makes the loud thud sound.
Quote:
BTW, Do you feel the price difference with GM?
No idea on A.S.S prices and Amazon prices. Should be more or less same.
Quote:
Where's Salbin? our jack of all trades Are you still busy with your little angel? Jokes apart, being a technical person you can give us a better explanation.
Even I wonder, where is he these days !! No posts for a very log time !
My little devil is keeping me busy on weekends. It more like a choice between whether I spend time with him, or get my hands greasy with the car !! Tough choice !
Quote:
EDIT: Got a piece of information just now:
Caliper Guide Pins (Checking/Reconditioning/Replacement)
Since the fixed end of the caliper needs to move sideways (inwards) as the pads wear down, the guide pins to which it is mounted (photo below left) are designed to move with it. These also need to be pushed back in (towards the outside of the vehicle) so the calipers will fit back on over the new pads. The pins are supposed to move freely but I found a couple of mine were a bit stiff and had to be forced back in with a C clamp. What I should have done is replaced them or at least removed, cleaned and greased them and their guides. This should be done even if they are moving freely -- you can get brake grease (or caliper pin grease) at any auto parts store.
Source:
http://www.rangerovers.net/maintenance/brakejob4.html
So guys, itching your hands after reading this? Am gonna grease my two guides as soon as I get the new one. Good luck to all DIY fans.
Thanks for the pointers on how to do this. I am no techie guy, just get some adrenaline rushing when in a group, and then end up doing DIY things !!
Old 20th February 2015, 15:39   #3506
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any difference of design for left and right side parts ? I wonder ! All screws and bolts locaton should be identical for both sides.
I haven't donet his so far, but I strongly believe yes, as the brackets can be different from side to side, else, they would not have mentioned it in the listing.

Quote:
Not life threatening, but I feel very cautious and nervous when it goes over potholes or slight cracks on the road, and makes the loud thud sound.
Its a common issue for all perfectionists

To be precise, mine is making a "trr trr" sound. Yesterday my car was fully occupied (5) and on crossing over a hump the rear left shock is giving up, it bottoms like a old bike with an aged shock abosorber. I think its time to get it replaced, placed the order just now. And this time also, I've finished the shocks stock too

Quote:
No idea on A.S.S prices and Amazon prices. Should be more or less same.
Anybody noticed any price difference? Even there is no difference if its an OE I am more lean to buy it from outside like this, than wasting my time and money with GM.

Quote:
Thanks for the pointers on how to do this. I am no techie guy, just get some adrenaline rushing when in a group, and then end up doing DIY things !!
No matter be in a group or alone, that's the spirit behind all DIY. Am also not a techie, but I would love to fiddle with the things which I can manage from bicycle to car, home appliance to what not... Its not the money savings gives me happiness but the down time and with this my tool collection is growing. Almost every DIY demands a specific new tool.

OT
Forgot to mention, am in search for a heating element for Samsung Washing machine where the SVC doesn't have stock. Actually my heating element is intact but the heat sensor went off. Appreciate any pointers from where I can get this? May be some of you are familiar with this.

Here's the heating element with sensor, its a universal one for almost all WM's
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-washing-machine-thermostat-2.jpg

and this is the heat sensor, the machine wont work without a heating element with a working sensor.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-washing-machine-thermostat.jpg

Thanks in advance

Sajan
Old 20th February 2015, 15:52   #3507
BHPian

Quote:
Ohh, I see. So this is a pretty new battery. Should not show any weakness then.
Agree with the first symptom being the crank. Since the engine fires up well, the problem could be with something else. May be some wiring. The A.S.S should be able to give the correct possibilities.
I still would say that a fuel pump issue is not related the symptoms that you are having.
A continuous (even while driving) whining noise from the fuel pump (underneath the rear seat) is the symptom for a failed fuel pump.

Nevertheless, when you go for service, please check with the A.S.S with your VIN, to see if your car is eligible for the fuel pump replacement.
Well, finally got around to giving the car yesterday for the 60k service. The SA took me for a ride along when I gave the car. As luck would have it, there was no flickering but he told not to worry, they would definitely investigate. Calls me back today saying they've found the issue and its due to the alternator leaking oil. I asked him how much it would cost and he said worst case would be 10k all together (not sure if he meant 10k including the service (2600) or if he meant on its own). I'll clarify when I go and collect the car in an hour. I asked him if I could use the car for another 4 or 5 months with the alternator and he said easy, no worries.

What do you guys think? Should I get it fixed now or wait it out. My plan was to get it fixed next month as this month is a bit tight. Have never heard of an alternator leaking but a quick google search shows that it does happen. Opinions?
Old 21st February 2015, 07:47   #3508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyf16 View Post
Well, finally got around to giving the car yesterday for the 60k service. The SA took me for a ride along when I gave the car. As luck would have it, there was no flickering but he told not to worry, they would definitely investigate. Calls me back today saying they've found the issue and its due to the alternator leaking oil. I asked him how much it would cost and he said worst case would be 10k all together (not sure if he meant 10k including the service (2600) or if he meant on its own). I'll clarify when I go and collect the car in an hour. I asked him if I could use the car for another 4 or 5 months with the alternator and he said easy, no worries.

What do you guys think? Should I get it fixed now or wait it out. My plan was to get it fixed next month as this month is a bit tight. Have never heard of an alternator leaking but a quick google search shows that it does happen. Opinions?
I was searching Google for Alternator Oil leak issues and came across this very useful article:

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-alternator.jpg

Source
Old 21st February 2015, 12:59   #3509
BHPian

So I talked to the SA face to face, turns out it isn't a oil leak, it's just alternator failing. He said they don't try to fix it, they'd rather replace it. It's safer and more reliable that way which is true, rebuilt alternators rarely have a warranty worth using.

From what I understand and from the research I've done on the topic; alternators don't have a predictable life span, it can vary greatly. It doesn't help if you spend a lot of time on high load where the battery is constantly needing to be charged. Right now, I've caught it at an early stage where I see flickering of displays after 20-30 km of stop and go traffic. Which is probably why the SA said I can go for roughly 6 months or so before he absolutely recommends I replace it. I'm at 60k, and either I'm driving in stop and go traffic in full sun, full a/c (no tints, thanks to the rape case, after paying 2k in fines (100 or 200 rs per stop), I took them off)). Or I'm driving 1000km at a stretch at night, with my 130/100w headlights, music system on, a/c on, wipers on if its raining, phones and tablets charging in a 2 port car charger. I'm starting to think I'm abusing my little beat.

What do you guys think? Btw, the SA said my vehicle does need its fuel lines replaced as per the recall but it'll take a week for it to get in stock. I'm thinking then in march, I'll get the fuel lines replaced and while the car in there, get the alternator changed as well.
Old 24th February 2015, 11:25   #3510
BHPian

Got the Brake Caliper Pin & Guide yesterday, packing was as usual from Amazon; excellent!. Its a genuine OE part with all the details. As promised to some of the fellow bhpians through PM, attached some pics of the same. Have a look.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-20150223_154344.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-20150224_111253.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-20150224_111105.jpg

Few more items also I've ordered from Amazon which are all on the way to my doorstep.
sajjt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks