Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2015, 00:07   #3511

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Hello fellow BHPians, I am a new member here and I own a Chevrolet Beat LT.
2 Years and 16.5k Kms done and I am facing a few problems and I have some questions.

1.How much mileage does the petrol version offer in city w/without A/C?
2.At what RPM do you guys feel that we should change gear for (a) best fuel efficiency?
3.What is the maximum speed that Chevyy Beat can touch?
4.What is the 0-100 kmph time?
I saw on some sites that it is under 15 seconds.
5.I feel the accelerator paddle vibrate a bit once I cross 3k RPM on any gear especially the upper gears.Is this normal?

Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 16:16   #3512
BHPian

After a long time, I've successfully completed another DIY on my ride: Replacement of rear shock absorber assembly on both sides.

This job was intended to be done at my FNG but before that I had to remove the amplifier from the side wall in the boot as it’s fixed just in front of the left side shock absorber top bolt. As always, I didn't want these garage guys fiddle with electrical and ICE section. Decided to dismantle the AMP as DIY but ended up replacing the shocks

Replacing the shocks was pretty straight forward but it can be tricky if you don't have proper tools. It took me 45 mins to complete the entire job, as a rookie its a decent time as per my FNM
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 23:59   #3513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Mozart View Post
I get 16 - 17kmpl, I drive at 6:30 am and 3:30 pm.
I get ~15kmpl if I drive during 8am and 5pm.
Quote:
2.At what RPM do you guys feel that we should change gear for (a) best fuel efficiency?
I upshift at 2k - 2.5k. Sometimes, in urgency, I upshift max at 3k.
There is no real downshift rpm. Just when I feel the need.
Quote:
A little upward of 100kmph is stable for Beat with stock tyres on steel rims. However as a rule, never drive beyond the permissible speed limit on the road you are driving. There is a reason for setting speed limit and we should respect that, even though any car is capable beyond it.
Quote:
4.What is the 0-100 kmph time? I saw on some sites that it is under 15 seconds.
I had seen a video on youtube about a Raceconcept Chevrolet Spark (Beat is internationally known as Spark).
In that video, there was a comparision with stock Spark / Beat.
IIRC, 0-100 was around 15 seconds.
Quote:
5.I feel the accelerator paddle vibrate a bit once I cross 3k RPM on any gear especially the upper gears.Is this normal?
I checked and there is not much noticable vibration as such, in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
After a long time, I've successfully completed another DIY on my ride: Replacement of rear shock absorber assembly on both sides.
This job was intended to be done at my FNG but before that I had to remove the amplifier from the side wall in the boot as it’s fixed just in front of the left side shock absorber top bolt. As always, I didn't want these garage guys fiddle with electrical and ICE section. Decided to dismantle the AMP as DIY but ended up replacing the shocks.
Replacing the shocks was pretty straight forward but it can be tricky if you don't have proper tools. It took me 45 mins to complete the entire job, as a rookie its a decent time as per my FNM
Take a bow mate !! This calls for a New Thread !! Hope you have clicked some pictures for reference purpose.
First question that came to my mind, how did you lift the car ? With the standard jack provided in the tool kit ?
And how did you figure out which screws to remove, Google ?
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 11:31   #3514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Take a bow mate !! This calls for a New Thread !! Hope you have clicked some pictures for reference purpose.
First question that came to my mind, how did you lift the car ? With the standard jack provided in the tool kit ?
And how did you figure out which screws to remove, Google ?
Thanks, its not a big deal after all. Procedures are pretty straight forward just like you replace a bike shocks except the top nut which will turn along with the piston rod I've noticed the socket provision on the top bolt when I got the replacement but I thought that will take care of some kind of lock provision within the mounting flange where I was wrong. It has to be locked with a 10mm ring spanner after inserting 15mm ring spanner on the top nut. If you are still confused, I can post some pictures along with some illustration on a separate thread. Sorry I couldn't click all pictures in detail as this DIY was not in my mind first. But once I saw the bolts I thought I would give a try

You don't have to jack up the car for replacing the shocks as you can see the mountings from the floor level observation and the shocks itself are too soft to compress by your hands to reduce the height while inserting to the slot. And if you jack up the car and tries to undo the left side of the bottom bolt, the coil springs will tend to fall from the place due to the pressure you are exerting on the bolt with the ratchet. While you are pushing down the left nut to undo, the tension on the coil spring reduces and it tends to fall, this is what I felt when I tried with the jack on. You won't get the torque on the bolt to undo it while the car on the jack as the wheels are not touching on the ground.

Yes, I did some go-ogling but I didn't get much details about the top bolt issues may be a proprietary feature of GM, any how, am happy that I could complete it without any issues.

EDIT: Am yet to test the replaced shocks efficiency as I couldn't load my car fully till now, may be this week, but my intuition says the coil spring is weak as the old shocks are also behaving like the new ones when I compressed both at a time. But for that I've to depend on GM.

Last edited by sajjt : 4th March 2015 at 11:35.
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 14:40   #3515
BHPian

Dear fellows would you suggest me to go for Chevrolet 3 year maintenance promise for my nearly 3 month old diesel Beat? Its priced at 30499 for Beat Diesel right now. As it covers upto 45000 kms and I feel my current running will hover around the same mark after 3 years. I heard from one of the owner that it cost at least 8k for every service and if this is the case then after 3 years I will be spending at least 50k on service.

Owners who already finished 3 years of ownership please advice.
Old 9th March 2015, 13:23   #3516
BHPian

Guys,

My Beatie is on its way to Bangalore and should be here over the weekend Now: I need to change the batteries as my trusted Exide is giving up(and I abused the battery a lot) . Need some pointers to:

1. Which Battery?
2. Where? Any place within 10 kms of E City should be good
Old 10th March 2015, 13:20   #3517
BHPian

Update:

I have finalized two batteries:
1. Amaron Flo 45AH-AAM-FL-545106036-Rs. 3890(exchange)
2. Exide Matrix 50AH-FMA0-DIN50 Rs 4895(exchange)
3. Amaron 55Ah AAM-FL-555112054 Rs 5243(Exchange)

Suggestions?

Last edited by adg_andy : 10th March 2015 at 13:37. Reason: added option
Old 10th March 2015, 13:33   #3518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Update:

Exide Matrix 50AH-FMA0-DIN50 Rs 4895(exchange)

Suggestions?
I went for Exide Mileage FMIO - MIDIN 50

Details here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3470483

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 01:09   #3519
BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow BHPians, I am a new member here and I own a Chevrolet Beat LT.
2 Years and 16.5k Kms done and I am facing a few problems and I have some questions.

4.What is the 0-100 kmph time?
I saw on some sites that it is under 15 seconds.

Thanks
I have a 2010 beat lto thats crossed 60k.

1. city w/ac - 13 or so, peak traffic
city w/out - 14/14.5, peak traffic
highway w/ac 100kmph - 16.5
highway w/out 100kmph -17/17.5

2. Ideally 2k, it slips into the next gear without any issue. Personally, I don't really consider fuel efficiency that much these days as I need to flow with traffic. If I don't, then some jacka** will jump in front of me and I'll have to slam on my brakes. I swear, they just give licenses to everyone and anyone

3. I've touched 155 kmph on the NE-1

4. No clue, don't see the point in trying to see how quickly sub 100hp engines can do things they're not meant to. Kinda like trying to judge an eating contest with 5 year old participants.

5. I have no shudder or vibration at 3k. Once I reach 140 kmph, then there is a bit of wheel shudder occasionally. That being said, i'm on factory alloys on upsized tires.

PS: before anyone starts cribbing, I was curious as to how fast the beat could go. I don't normally stress the car like that. For those of you who have been on NE-1 in the afternoons (before IIRB took over and wrecked it), you know what the road is like. Perfectly straight for kilometers on end with no traffic. Nowadays I'll be lucky if I get to 120.
Old 13th March 2015, 05:42   #3520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Got the Brake Caliper Pin & Guide yesterday, packing was as usual from Amazon; excellent!. Its a genuine OE part with all the details.
I had added my email id to be notified when the item is available again.
Got an email 5 mins back.
Ordered 2 pieces of the kit.

So, the two of them goes into the front, right ? Can I do it myself ?
Old 13th March 2015, 11:25   #3521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyf16 View Post
I have a 2010 beat lto thats crossed 60k.

1. city w/ac - 13 or so, peak traffic
city w/out - 14/14.5, peak traffic
highway w/ac 100kmph - 16.5
highway w/out 100kmph -17/17.5

2. Ideally 2k,

3. I've touched 155 kmph
I totally agree with @bbyf16 for athe bove numbers wrt to my May 2010 Beat LT.

Mileage had came down a little post my Tyre up-size to 175/65/R14. Details here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3559119. But who cares. She drives and handles like a new car. More closer to Figo on ride and better than Figo on steering feel and weight. Yes I repeat, because I drive both cars. But can't hold a candle in-front-of Figo on handling part and gearing.

Also I am pushing her a little harder (to the limits) these days, thanks to the new shoes.

Attaching few screen-shots from my Mileage app. Tyre change happened on 17th October 2014.

Past four fill-ups
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-wp_ss_20150313_0006.jpg

Statistics

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-wp_ss_20150313_0003.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-wp_ss_20150313_0004.jpg

Mileage for past 1 year

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-wp_ss_20150313_0001.jpg

Fuel prices for past 1 year
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-wp_ss_20150313_0002.jpg

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 13th March 2015, 11:55   #3522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I had added my email id to be notified when the item is available again.
Got an email 5 mins back.
Ordered 2 pieces of the kit.

So, the two of them goes into the front, right ? Can I do it myself ?
Glad to hear that they are back with enough stocks

I guess that's more of a DIY, mine is still lying in my store, waiting for some free time to get my hands dirty. Last Sunday was busy with installing OE Fog lamps and all went on smooth except the chrome bezel which is out of stock with Amazon & GM Wiring was bit messy job, I couldn't trace the OE leads from the steering column to connect to switch and finally landed up with a separate wiring. Luckily OE connectors were with the car else, it would've been a head ache to source it from my spare HID kits. But am not happy with the switch installation where I applied too much glue to fix, its not spotted at a glance though.

Taken a few snaps in between.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-20150313_113754.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-20150313_113729.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-20150313_113705.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-20150308_140351.jpg

Last edited by sajjt : 13th March 2015 at 11:57.
sajjt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 12:23   #3523
Senior - BHPian

Guys

All of a sudden the speedo needle in my Beat has stopped working. Is there any way I can make it work again at home ? Or should I go to local mechanic ? Going to chevy workshop will definitely rip me for such a small job.

Suggestions ?
Old 17th March 2015, 17:28   #3524
BHPian

Guys in Bangalore: Any idea where I can get fabric seat covers for Beat at a reasonable price?

There is one at amazon:
http://www.amazon.in/Autofact-Seat-C...chevrolet+beat

but I don't know whether it is for split seat
Old 17th March 2015, 18:40   #3525
BHPian

Apologies for back to back posts:
Bought a A2DP bluetooth converter off ebay, to convert my existing music system to a bluetooth enabled one.

Guess what? It slots neatly in my Car's USB drive and I can play music off my mobile. Added benefit: While using GPS, it interrupts the music and speaks out loud the directions

http://www.ebay.in/itm/381111043325?...84.m1439.l2649

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks