Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2015, 18:40   #3601
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

OK, so the first signs of rust have started to appear in the same place where Soumyajit's car started to rust first (Below the beading, rear door ) :( . What do you guys suggest I do? My car is just over 4 years old. It should not rust so early, should it? Is there any way to claim warranty (I do not have the extended one- ouch )

Last edited by adg_andy : 14th December 2015 at 18:41.
Old 14th December 2015, 19:32   #3602
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately that is a design defect. Living in Juhu, Mumbai by the seaside mine have rusted twice. Once close to the 2 year mark and again aat 3.5 years. Door was replaced under warranty the first time and 2nd time repainted since body isnt covered by extended warranty. Best solution is to get it repainted and then make sure beading fits tightly. Seal the beading with silicone and get door visors fitted so that water doesnt drip inside the beading.
Unfortunately my car now has some rust spots under the inner door beading around the windows :(
Old 15th December 2015, 08:45   #3603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
OK, so the first signs of rust have started to appear in the same place where Soumyajit's car started to rust first (Below the beading, rear door ) :( . What do you guys suggest I do? My car is just over 4 years old. It should not rust so early, should it? Is there any way to claim warranty (I do not have the extended one- ouch )
Unfortunately that is how the quality of the beading is. It gave away and became loose even though my parking is always covered at work and home and is not prone to weather elements !
The moment the beading becomes loose, water starts accumulating, leading to rusting.

Since your ride is way out of warranty, I don't think Chevrolet / Dealer would give a free goodwill repair.

So your best option is to take it to a friendly neighbourhood garage, get the rust removed and paint the panel.
Once this is done, put back the old beading and seal it with Fevibond, like Motis has suggested. Installing a door visor to protect from further damage is also good.
Or take it to a Chevy dealer and get a new set of beading installed.

Thanks Motis - I'm going to get a door visor. Good idea.

No idea about price of a new beading.
The rust removal + paint job may set you back by 5k max.
Old 22nd December 2015, 18:41   #3604
BHPian

Hello Gentlemen!

My Beat D has recently got 60k Service while 58k on odo, now at 59k I found the "Service Vehicle Soon" warning light started appearing. Today I took it to Kropex since I have a Mangalore trip coming up this week and didn't want to take a chance with the warning on, As per the SA:

Fuel Filter assembly has gone kaput and will cost 4k including the labor (He also hinted that I can get it done for 2k by bribing the guys inside, not sure how it works). However I can drive the vehicle and there won't be any problem even for long drives as of now and absolutely there are no other problems.

Just want to understand, Can I trust his words? on both the statements, does the FF assy really cost as much as 4k? Can I ignore this light and run around as he adviced?
Old 23rd December 2015, 19:32   #3605
Senior - BHPian

I dont think it costs that much, atleast for the petrol fuel filter. Is it the fuel filter only or the assembly in which it is housed ? Check again in the separate Beat Diesel thread.

Got my car back from Nikhil Chevrolet yesterday. One my 2 week old Yoko Earth 1 had been punctured and swapped with the spare and I wasnt informed. Also the screwdriver from the toolkit was stolen for the 2nd time and lots of white paint flecks on the hood and windscreen.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 13:15   #3606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
Need advice on tyre change:
The 5 years 9 months old JK Vectra tyres of my Beat has run ~50000 kms without any issue. Soon the tyres are going to be 6 years old, so I am thinking of changing them. I am a sedate driver with annual running of ~ 8500 kms, out of which ~ 5500 km is city running & ~ 3000 km highway running. On highways I usually drive at 80 - 100 kmph speed.
Replaced 4 tyres of car with Apollo Alnac 155/70 R14 after reading good reviews on Apollo Acelere by Team-BHPinas. The options available were
1) JK Vectra @ 2700/- per tyre
2) Apollo Alnac @ 2900/- per tyre
3) Bridgestone B290 @ 3350/- per tyre.

I got discount of Rs.1200/- on 4 tyres. So the effective cost was 2600/- per tyre. After driving few 100 kms, I can say I didn't find any difference in Apollo Alnac & JK Vectra. Both brands are at par.
Topolino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 20:06   #3607
BHPian

Hi All,

It has been good times with my Beat for the last few months( Love the daily 90 km commute, but my back says otherwise in the maddening Bangalore traffic) . One question: my front 2 tyres at 26k kms have significantly reduced tread than the rear ones. Is it normal? I am planning to do a reverse corner swap. Will it help? Is it time to change the tyres?

Just been off a 800 kms trip to and fro Chennai. Car behaved excellently. Off late, I have been seeing frequent headlamp fuses happening. Could it be because my Battery is giving extra ampere ? Is it time to change the battery?

Jaane se pehle: In other updates, the car has had the b pillar and the front wheel arch blackened. Also I have changed the bracket holding the A/C pollen filter in place today. It was broken when the car was at 2000 kms and have been like that ever since. This caused a whining noise as soon as the filter was even a little bit dirty. Changed the filter too- total damage- 652 bucks
Old 11th February 2016, 17:13   #3608
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Andy do you rotate and balance the wheels at every 5000 KMs? If the tread wearing is even, then X rotation may help.
Old 11th February 2016, 18:41   #3609
BHPian

The tread wear is even on the front tyres. As for the rear ones, they are even too, only that they have a lot more tread. I have done wheel rotation 10,000 kms ago and WB WA was done about 2000 kms ago
Old 12th February 2016, 01:15   #3610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have done wheel rotation 10,000 kms ago and WB WA was done about 2000 kms ago
Go for X rotation and drive for another 500 KMs and then have a check.

You should practice 5000 KMs Rotation cum Balancing and Wheel alignment in 10000 KMs for better tyre wear management.

Cheers!
Old 21st February 2016, 10:25   #3611
BHPian

Hi Folks,

My Beat D (September 2012) has clocked 35000kms with an average monthly running of 800kms per month. The car is being serviced regularly once a year with oil changes being carried out at 10,000kms as against the 15000 mark mentioned in the booklet.

The car is not under warranty now. Last month, I took my 1st long drive from Mumbai to Mangalore. All was well till I crossed 800kms out of the 1000kms journey.

Post 800kms, the service due light popped up and there was a sudden drop of power and the car would not go pass 2000rpm. I had serviced the car through Chevrolet's authorized service center in Jogeshwari, Mumbai in the month of October and had paid 24K that included regular service, AC service, brake pads were changed and the battery replaced.

With my 6 month kid and wifey, I was shocked to see this after following the regular service intervals.

I called up the chevrolet customer care immediately and they lady on the phone was courteous and proactive to connect me to the chevrolet authorised worship in udupi. The only good news was that the service center was on the same road I was heading towards and just 8kms away.

The chevy service advisor immediately checked the problem and told me to sit in their guest room for half an hour and that he will come up with the exact issue.

I could see my car from the guest room and in no time I saw 15 mechanics in and around my car trying to detect the issue. On a lighter note, it reminded me of the erstwhile Mahindra First choice TV adverts.

However, after detecting the issue, the service advisors confirms that that fuel pump has gone faulty and that it would cost 22K.

Did I have an option? I told them to go ahead but was furious with the fact of a 35000km driven car with regular service carried out, how on earth could the fuel pump go faulty?

I have clocked 80k kms in my SANTRO, clocked 1 Lac kms. In my Verna. I never faced such issues.

Has anyone on this forum faced a similar issue?

Post the fuel pump replacement the beat D is running absolutely fine now. Apart from this shocker, the car has been running absolutely fine without an niggles in the past 4 years of my ownership.

Seek your views.
Old 21st February 2016, 11:14   #3612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
Hi Folks,

Did I have an option? I told them to go ahead but was furious with the fact of a 35000km driven car with regular service carried out, how on earth could the fuel pump go faulty?

I have clocked 80k kms in my SANTRO, clocked 1 Lac kms. In my Verna. I never faced such issues.
I have always maintained that bits and pieces of the Beat are sub standard and fail frequently. Too many Chevy owners I know have complained about premature part failure in their Beats and Cruzes. The Enjoy does not fare any better requiring frequent changes to parts like the brake pads (10k kms!). With every new launch, the part quality are getting worse. No wonder they are doing this badly in the market. With issues like yours being reported dime-a-dozen, I wonder if they would fare any better here in future. I do not find any present Chevy owner(including myself) who looks forward to owning another Chevrolet. All said and done, the most common reason for a fuel pump failure is running the vehicle with less fuel in the tank frequently. As has been discussed here earlier, the fuel pump is parked inside the tank and is lubricated and cooled by the fuel present in the tank. Make sure to drive with atleast 1/2 tank fuel most of the time.
Old 21st February 2016, 12:57   #3613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
All said and done, the most common reason for a fuel pump failure is running the vehicle with less fuel in the tank frequently. As has been discussed here earlier, the fuel pump is parked inside the tank and is lubricated and cooled by the fuel present in the tank. Make sure to drive with atleast 1/2 tank fuel most of the time.

As soon as the fuel gauge reaches the half way mark, I tank up. Really sad state for chevrolet going forward. They are left with just 2 authorised service workshops in Mumbai and Nikhil Automobiles at Worli which had been in operation for more than a decade has also shut down. With the the other manufacturers eyeing India as a key market , Chevrolet seems to be heading in a different direction altogether.

Even though I intend to replace this car in the next 1 year, I won't get much in terms of resale!!
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:02   #3614
BHPian

Update at 27,000 kms:

Completed the 30,000 kms service yesterday at Kropex. Other points:

1. The glass of my Fog Lamps keeps on breaking- don't know why :(
2. The air filter was making a lot of racket(read whining sound-the reason was known to me as a clogged filter+ broken filter cover since the car was 6 months old). Went ahead and bought the filter for around Rs 550 + filter cover for around Rs 182 and changed it myself about 15 days ago
3. Changed the battery to amazon Flo last friday through batterybhai.com- Damage Rs 4150.
4. I had serviced my car through bay6 last time in August'15 and the brake pads(non-chevrolet) were making noise. Got them changed in 30K service. X rotation was done for the wheels too.
4 spark plugs were changed, brake bleeding was also done. Also, the clutch was getting hard- got that rectified to a large extent.
Total damage: around Rs 6,000
On a hindsight it was a good decision to have the servicing done on a Sunday (It is a diff story that I had no other choice). Could spend time with the mechanics and get my issues sorted till satisfaction.

The car feels like new, it also looks like the mileage has gone up(will get to know accurately when I tank up. As of now, I am looking for the fog lamp on the right side. If any one has one spare in Bangalore, please do let me know.

Last edited by adg_andy : 22nd February 2016 at 13:04.
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:58   #3615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, the clutch was getting hard- got that rectified to a large extent.
My left knee is dead and broke because of hard clutch. Everytime I service, it stays good for a month. Past a month, it becomes super hard. What was done on your clutch ? Any specific changes / lubrication or modification ?

Quote:
On a hindsight it was a good decision to have the servicing done on a Sunday (It is a diff story that I had no other choice). Could spend time with the mechanics and get my issues sorted till satisfaction.
That is a surprise for me ! Kropex works Mon - Sat and whenever I used to give car for service, they used to set the expected delivery on Monday, because Sunday is closed for them.
Kropex is working on Sundays also now ?

Most Viewed