Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2010, 12:44   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Some how, I this car is not having any thing that good.

1) Electric hatch, 90% of the travel, the hatch will automatically go down. Nice touch, and add to that, no slamming. Practical, but somehow, I find this not that necessary.

2) The wiper and indicator stalks. Why cant they change this ? They can work on rear suspension, why not this ? I feel that this is superiority complex and arrogant attitude.

3) Headlights. I was expecting dual headlamp setup, not for aesthetic sense, but for practical purpose. IMO, they are better and help in night driving. This is again cost cutting.

4) No need for specially mentioning louder horn for India. I think they are more focussed on horn than engines. In the video of OD ( posted earlier ), they were speaking of horn special for India. Its as good as saying that we pack in jackets specially for a trip to Switzerland. Its a necessacity.

5) Non availability of diesel is going to hit them initially. Because the focus of car buying public will be FE and not performance. I think this diesel unit is called NEW, so I expected it to be better than Swift's unit, but Fiat SDE remains one of the best.

So coming back, what are exactly positive points of this car ?
Ride and Handling ? Punto takes the tag, Figo up there too.
Looks ( although subjective, here its just IMO ) ? Swift takes the tag.
FE ? Maruti wins.
Rear seat space ? Vista wins.
Driving pleasure ? Currently its Swift. The 1.2 petrol and 1.25 diesel are better than anything market has to offer.

On top of that, we are not yet known to the spares and service cost.
I am not able to find anything good with this car.
May be I need to drive one, but till then, I dont think this car really has something good.
It will sell because of VW tag and the hype around it. Typical of good presentation, but zero core stuff.

I do agree that POLO does not offer anything new. Is it suppose to give anything at this price tag of 4.34L?

I booked POLO because of the excellent overall package it gives.

It gives the ride quality and handling of Punto

Ageless design and simple look of ZEN (I miss a lot)

Peppy petrol engine like SWIFT (as per reviews)

Solid built quality of Fabia, (who else gives 6 years anti corrosion warranty?)

Excellent interior quality and materials like Fabia

Best in class gear shift (as per GTO)

Decent fuel efficiency petrol and class leading Diesel

Good space utilization and storage (clsoe to Vista)

and finally VW badge which has good respect in Europe and India

IMHO POLO is a no-nonsense car, no gimmicks, built for masses to last for ever and will tame enthusiasts with a better engine in future.

It is disappointing the top version doesn't have ACC, and all gizmos expected from the premium hatch, hope VW will listen to us soon

It is also a much awaited ZEN replacement in the market for me. I think POLO is a new AVTAR of our good old ZEN

Last edited by hpzone : 28th February 2010 at 12:46.
Old 28th February 2010, 13:01   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpzone View Post

I booked POLO because of the excellent overall package it gives.

Peppy petrol engine like SWIFT (as per reviews)

Decent fuel efficiency petrol and class leading Diesel
i don't get it you booked a car because it has a peppy petrol engine and a class leading diesel engine - must be some package with 2 engines
Old 28th February 2010, 13:02   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Excellent interior quality and materials like Fabia
Can you confirm this? Reviews mention that the plastics are not "soft-touch" plastics and I am sure Fabia has soft-touch plastics.

Agree with you on the rest of the points. Especially the comparison with old Zen is apt. We all loved Zen during its time. We all try to like Punto but somehow it is not 'complete'.
Old 28th February 2010, 13:26   #139
BHPian

So coming back, what are exactly positive points of this car ?
Ride and Handling ? Punto takes the tag, Figo up there too.
Looks ( although subjective, here its just IMO ) ? Swift takes the tag.
FE ? Maruti wins.
Rear seat space ? Vista wins.
Driving pleasure ? Currently its Swift. The 1.2 petrol and 1.25 diesel are better than anything market has to offer.

On top of that, we are not yet known to the spares and service cost.
I am not able to find anything good with this car.
May be I need to drive one, but till then, I dont think this car really has something good.
It will sell because of VW tag and the hype around it. Typical of good presentation, but zero core stuff.[/quote]

++1. Completely agree.
The "much awaited Volkswagen Polo" seems to really be Much Ado about nothing special or different.
The only thing going for it is owning a German Marque (manufacturer, not the car model) at a low purchase price.
Personally I only like the understated looks and the dark interiors.
Maybe the 1.6L engine will be worth waiting for, but in this segment, ownership costs count for a lot more.
Polo spares and service costs still being an unknown variable, this launch just seems like another face in the crowd.
Old 28th February 2010, 14:17   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i don't get it you booked a car because it has a peppy petrol engine and a class leading diesel engine - must be some package with 2 engines
you got me here, also think you got the point

@Androdev, from the pictures, i think POLO interiors are much better quality than Punto, Swift or Figo, may be Fabia, i20 and Jazz has better quality materials. But I agree we will wait to see and feel it.

Again let me stress my point: POLO may not be the leader in any of the category, but it gives the best overall package. Period

Last edited by hpzone : 28th February 2010 at 14:24.
Old 28th February 2010, 15:19   #141

My 2 cents on the pricing of the Polo

Top End Petrol
Polo - 5.72 Lakhs
i20 - 5.83 Lakhs

Top End Diesel
Polo - 6.7 Lakhs
i20 - 6.84 Lakhs

For a difference of around Rs.10,000 (Petrol) and Rs.15,000 (Diesel) over the price of the top end Polo, you get the top end variants of the i20. To me, this makes the i20 a much better deal over-all since you get a lot of features that are missing in the Polo plus in case of the diesel, you get a fantastic engine too.
Old 28th February 2010, 16:06   #142
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
OT-is the all new-gen Swift spotted in India?any indicators about when it shall debut?
Considering that the current-gen Swift is the best B segment seller by a mile (9,000 cars a month), I don't suppose Maruti would be in a hurry. The cost of producing an all-new gen is substantially larger than that of a 6 year old car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horabonny View Post
Even after years these machines are in great condition provided they are taken care of.
One factor you can credit German cars with is that, they age exceedingly well. Most Octavias I see still look fresh, ditto for 4 year old Lauras. Heck, even W124s running the factory paint job look half their age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
so it would be best to look at the brochure for the exact level of kit rather than trying to figure it out from the photos
Just to clarify : The equipment list for the Highline variant (2nd post) has been taken from VW's brochure. And no, I don't remember them specifying a rear wash (only wipe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE View Post
the price sheet in the road-test mentions the price of top end version of swift diesel and as far as i konw ther are only two versions of swift diesel i.e low LDI & mid VDI , then howcome the data mentions three trims ?
I believe that's the one with the optional ABS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpzone View Post
Technically all these cars are pretty same, look at Punto, Palio, Polo or Figo. Lot of similarities. At the end of teh day the success is how the customer percieves it.
TOTALLY! The Euro hatches are so similar, in more than one way.

Quote:
Palio was a great car at lauch, slwly that faded away from common man's mind.
Just to add to that : The market DID reward the Palio with initial success. In the months after launch, the Palio regularly managed 3,000 cars a month....something that even the Punto can't do today. Now, consider that the size of the market was far smaller at the time of the Palio's launch. It was FIAT that goofed up and is to blame for the Palio's eventual tanking. After all, the market does have a limited tolerance level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
But looking at it from VW's point of view, this spec car (1.2) in European markets would cater to a small segment at the lower end of the buyer market, more like the one catered to by M800/Alto in India; only difference being ours has the "volumes" here.
Correction : I remember reading an interview of a VW (UK) executive who stated that the base 1.2 petrol will garner the most sales there.

Quote:
A fool does not learn even from his own mistakes, a clever man does; but the wise man learns from someone else's mistakes
Well said! I'm going to remember this line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
We test drove the 1.2 Fabia and we liked its ride and 'big-car-feel' but the 3-pot mill was a put-off! That's probably the only reason why we're not buying the Fabia. So is it worth TDing the Polo 1.2 petrol?
In that case, the Polo 1.2 will also put you off. The engine is lacking in refinement. Wait for the Figo; its got the same big car feel. And the engine to go for is the 1.4 TDCi.
Old 28th February 2010, 16:08   #143
Senior - BHPian

Even i feel there is too much hype around the POLO. The base variant looks VFM but with only 2 colour options and not providing simple things such as the vanity mirror is not acceptable. The reviews of the petrol are good, but still not better than the K-series. The difference between the comfortline and the highline is way too much (almost 90k). With safety becoming a priority in our car choices i feel this is daylight robbery. And lastly music system without AUX & USB
Old 28th February 2010, 16:18   #144
BHPian

Super review

Super-detailed review by GTO & Rehaan.

I was waiting since long for such detailed review on Polo. But one thing made me upset, why didnt you compared Beat along with I10 kappa, Ritz, Indica Vista & all?

In one of the photos, your knee seems really uncomfortable & the space really looks poor, rather poor. It must be a great car to drive but the space on the real is also looking poor than the Beat. Thanks for the detailed review.
Old 28th February 2010, 17:04   #145
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom barabar! View Post
One question currently between the Figo 1.2 petrol and Polo 1.2 petrol, which one is the best to drive from an enthusiasts perspective?
Neither. Amongst the 1.2s, the Maruti K series is the enthusiast's choice. Peppy & free-revving, both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
& the 84bhp K-series Swift is at 17.9 !

Polo FE is a disappointment! If I have to put up with 3-cyl vibration and low power, then the least I expect is 'best in class' FE and best in class pricing, neither of which the VW satisfies.
I have no doubt that this will be the most fuel-efficient Euro petrol. Compare the number to that of the Punto 1.2....it's 3 laps behind at 14.3! European petrols were never known for their fuel efficiency. Within 5% of the segment leaders works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvj1976 View Post
Top End Petrol
Polo - 5.72 Lakhs
i20 - 5.83 Lakhs

Top End Diesel
Polo - 6.7 Lakhs
i20 - 6.84 Lakhs
The top-end Polo makes very little sense, I agree. It's way over-priced. As mentioned on the other threads, the entry level followed by the middle variant are better priced.
Old 28th February 2010, 17:43   #146
Team-BHP Support

The price difference between the base Trendline and Comfortline is 50K. For 50K more you get only the following extra:

- body coloured mirrors and door handles
- 60:40 split rear seat
- Rear Parcel tray
- Height adjustable driver's seat
- Rear Power windows

The only big diff is they offer only red and white for Trendline.

50K is a lot for the above features.

If I was ok with white or red Trendline would be my pick.
Old 28th February 2010, 17:45   #147
Team-BHP Support

question to you guys - do you think it make sense waiting for the 1.6 polo or just buying the 1.4 punto. since there is no concrete news when the 1.6 will come out. also its only about 12bhp more than the punto.
Old 28th February 2010, 18:01   #148
BHPian

Unavailability of 1.6 Hatchback is pretty bad -- Living with the fact that 1.6 version of polo is going to be SEDAN is even more disappointing. Why ain't they thinking of all those performance oriented guys who would like a 1.6 hatchback?? Why did they replace a hatchback with a sedan..?? IMO, Maruti Dezire looks more like a misshaped ape. We don't want some mutant like that from Volkswagen.

I am so disappointed by this move.
Old 28th February 2010, 18:07   #149
Team-BHP Support

Comparing the top-end versions of these two new cars (Polo, and the Figo), I reckon the Figo (in Titanium trim) could be a better buy. And majority of the buyers who're in market for cars in this segment will be looking for practicality and usability, and I doubt if the european pedigree and so called premium brand name will help them to win over the likes of Swift, Beat or an i10.
Old 28th February 2010, 18:09   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

In that case, the Polo 1.2 will also put you off. The engine is lacking in refinement. Wait for the Figo; its got the same big car feel. And the engine to go for is the 1.4 TDCi.
Thank you Sir!

But we're not interested in Fords due to our past experiences with the company and most importantly, we don't want an oil burner. The premium hatch that we're looking to buy would be pressed into service only inside the city, mainly for errands and shopping and the like. Our Santro Xing that we've had for 6 years has done only 30k on the clock! No diesels for us!

We've decided on the Honda Jazz. Your review has helped us greatly in making our decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
question to you guys - do you think it make sense waiting for the 1.6 polo or just buying the 1.4 punto. since there is no concrete news when the 1.6 will come out. also its only about 12bhp more than the punto.
Akshay,

We test drove the Punto 1.4 Petrol and it's surprisingly sluggish. the 1st and 2nd gears are extremely short and there is a lot of play in the pedals. In 2nd gear, I had the gas-pedal on the mat and the car was taking eons to move. Maybe it's something to do with the TD car but I'm told that the 1.4's mill isn't a great mover despite its 90 horses on paper.

I'm telling you, it just doesn't feel like 90 horses! It'd be better if you stick around for the Polo 1.6 Highline. Fiat might consider introducing a larger engine in the Punto by then as well!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks