Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 18:14   #1501
BHPian

I really love diesel engines for their torque and fun they offer while driving. Not to mention the fuel efficiency. I expect to drive around 1300 kms per month.

But ... initial opinion was petrol engine is better that diesel and turbo lag in diesel is very painful. hence, I decided to book polo petrol trendline and booked it in march, am expecting delivery by month end.

Question 1: Now that we have few diesel owners, I wanted to know their experience of diesel when compared to Petrol
Question 2: Dealer has offered me diesel(instead of petrol) polo if I want to take immediately. So I was confused, as I didnt get a chance to TD the diesel polo. What would you suggest me, as TD is not available?

Cheers ... Yash
Old 16th June 2010, 22:06   #1502
BHPian

I would suggest depending upon your monthly usage you should go for diesel one. Chethan, team bhp mate already owned diesel polo and have indicated that the lag isn't that much bad and fuel efficiency is what you will cherish in the long run. It is reported to be returning avg. FE around 18 kmpl. The technology for TDI engine is much better than the petrol version of POLO. On which date you have booked your POLO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash.giri View Post
I really love diesel engines for their torque and fun they offer while driving. Not to mention the fuel efficiency. I expect to drive around 1300 kms per month.

But ... initial opinion was petrol engine is better that diesel and turbo lag in diesel is very painful. hence, I decided to book polo petrol trendline and booked it in march, am expecting delivery by month end.

Question 1: Now that we have few diesel owners, I wanted to know their experience of diesel when compared to Petrol
Question 2: Dealer has offered me diesel(instead of petrol) polo if I want to take immediately. So I was confused, as I didnt get a chance to TD the diesel polo. What would you suggest me, as TD is not available?

Cheers ... Yash
Old 17th June 2010, 01:53   #1503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers ... Yash
1. Torque helps Drivibility. That is the advantage with Diesel engine. Thrill you get by driving a Diesel car is different. If you ask me - Diesel and only Diesel!!

2. Close your eyes and go for Diesel. And off-course - start your ownership thread and share your experience on Polo TDI!!

This is only my opinion. You should take a decision based on your requirement. Check my ownership thread for details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-report.html
Old 17th June 2010, 02:03   #1504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cheers ... Yash
As most have have mentioned, with your usage, a diesel makes more financial sense. However, in my opinion the Polo Tdi is overpriced, and is not good value for money. In fact, the i20 diesel is a better car, not to mention the soon to come Punto 90bhp version (or even the current Punto).

Never buy a car without a test drive, no two drivers are exactly the same and reviews are very personal. Do not bow to the dealers whims and demand a test-drive before signing on the dotted line.
Old 17th June 2010, 18:01   #1505
BHPian

Thanks for the replies.
Yeah, with my usage it makes sense to go for diesel.

Only thing that held me back was GTO's comment in his initial review that ...
"I’m going to have to say this : The Polo is one of the rare European cars where the petrol is more impressive than the diesel. Without doubt, either engine feels very commuter in nature. Neither engine is a match for the class-toppers (Petrol = Maruti 1.2 K Series / Diesel = Figo 1.4 TDCi), yet the petrol is the engine of choice. Period."

Hence I wanted to check with people who have driven both petrol and diesel version as to ... what they have to say?
Old 18th June 2010, 08:29   #1506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
Yeah, with my usage it makes sense to go for diesel.

Only thing that held me back was GTO's comment in his initial review that ...
"I’m going to have to say this : The Polo is one of the rare European cars where the petrol is more impressive than the diesel. Without doubt, either engine feels very commuter in nature. Neither engine is a match for the class-toppers (Petrol = Maruti 1.2 K Series / Diesel = Figo 1.4 TDCi), yet the petrol is the engine of choice. Period."

Hence I wanted to check with people who have driven both petrol and diesel version as to ... what they have to say?
I have driven both of them. Petrol is peppy as most have said. Diesel is also very much drivable except for the slight turbo lag which will not effect much in city traffic. More so, if you are a person who will follow the lane/traffic rules.

But on the highway, you will have an upper hand with Diesel in my opinion. If your usage is 70:30 or higher (City:Highway), you can go for Petrol. If it is 40:60, as in my case, Diesel would be a better bet.

IMHO, Polo is definitely a VFM in it's own way. Simple - you pay for what you get!

Today, you have plenty of choice. You will not make a mistake if you select any car from the top 3.

Hope this answers your question!
Old 18th June 2010, 19:49   #1507

VW Polo Ownership Challenges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaro123 View Post
@sudipc, surely you have taken the right decision and welcome to Polo bandwagon group. Only thing worrying is waiting period, I am being patient for around 2.5 months since I have booked. I thought of canceling the booking at one point of time but couldn't. Finally, decided no other car is as good as POLO to be my first car. 3 pot engine looks under powered and a bit noisy and peppy but not a deal breaker. Further, got confident in POLO after reading much of reviews of Team-Bhp mates here & kudos to chethan for posting black polo pics to which i finally decided on Car color.
Thanks Subaro123, I envy you for having selected the Polo to be your 1st car. Usually people land with some second-hand dated model for their first car. You sure with the Black color, it absorbs heat during summer.
Old 19th June 2010, 15:38   #1508
Senior - BHPian

Need to know what is the USP Polo

Hi we are looking for a car for my colleague, who is ready to stretch his budget till the i20 Petrol range. I have been initially recommending Polo but I am likely to loose battle to either Figo Diesel or i20 Petrol (frankly he is not botherd abt miles and thus diesel Vs Petrol stuff)

Thats why I have a question it might sound to naive here it is, can someone throw some light on what is the USP of the Polo. Other than the fact that is from a VW's brand factory.
I mean frankly we have made research and on all counts I am seeing Polo not being in the top on any front.
I mean in terms of performance, in terms of cabin space, in terms of engine power, in terms of interior featured offered etc, I have noticed that there is one car to beat it.
And please I dont want any response being subjective. Like people telling it oozes with quality or saying its apple of my eye etc. I am looking for pragmatic answers
Is it that combining all the factor Polo is good??
Polo lovers pl dont take me wrong I personally love the car, its just that even I am stuck. (I dont like Vento but anyway thats a diff topic )

I would like to know that is the USP of the product as far as the VW is concerned.

Mods: I thought this is the right place to be placing this question delete if required.
Old 19th June 2010, 16:33   #1509
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a bias towards VW as a make --- but what leads me, at this time, so seriously consider Polo is that I am looking for a car that I hope will last me a decade.

Maybe my thinking is not very objective; it is based on faith in a brand. Also, if any members think I am wrong, I'd like them to tell me!
Old 19th June 2010, 18:09   #1510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Hi we are looking for a car for my colleague, who is ready to stretch his budget till the i20 Petrol range. I have been initially recommending Polo but I am likely to loose battle to either Figo Diesel or i20 Petrol (frankly he is not botherd abt miles and thus diesel Vs Petrol stuff)

Thats why I have a question it might sound to naive here it is, can someone throw some light on what is the USP of the Polo. Other than the fact that is from a VW's brand factory.
I mean frankly we have made research and on all counts I am seeing Polo not being in the top on any front.
I mean in terms of performance, in terms of cabin space, in terms of engine power, in terms of interior featured offered etc, I have noticed that there is one car to beat it.
And please I dont want any response being subjective. Like people telling it oozes with quality or saying its apple of my eye etc. I am looking for pragmatic answers
Polo lovers pl dont take me wrong I personally love the car, its just that even I am stuck. (I dont like Vento but anyway thats a diff topic )

I would like to know that is the USP of the product as far as the VW is concerned.

Mods: I thought this is the right place to be placing this question delete if required.
USP is the overall factor. You might miss a few things as for as the features are concerned. But what ever is available is top-class. Attention to detail is excellent. You may again say that the engine/performance is not class leading. But it is adequate for all practical purposes.

I would describe it as a complete no-nonsense car which will suffice almost all deeds of a common commuter. You can not find anything regarding the car which would potentially become a deal breaker. At least, I could not. But at the same time, it is not THE only car to buy either.

You have plenty of choice out there. Execute it. Buy what you desire. We all will respect your decision.
Old 19th June 2010, 18:29   #1511
BHPian

@xingamazon

I'm a person with very little experience, but once I sat inside a Polo and then few other cars of the same segment, the latter appeared cheap or flimsy, or both. So when I think or hear the word Polo, I am instantly reminded of the built quality and the superior finish. So for me that would be its USP.
But mind you, as you must be knowing, the engine is nothing to boast about.
Old 19th June 2010, 18:46   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipc View Post
Thanks Subaro123, I envy you for having selected the Polo to be your 1st car. Usually people land with some second-hand dated model for their first car. You sure with the Black color, it absorbs heat during summer.
I don't know lets see what black color has to offer in summers. At present I got a deal for White POLO diesel ready for delivery but have no idea what to do with that.
Old 19th June 2010, 20:18   #1513
BHPian

Hi Friends,

New to Team-BHP, I enquired about some spare parts price and extra fittings when booking my car in Apr`10. Below mentioned are the details I was told by VW dealer here in Pune, please share your thoughts, is it OK :

a. Rear Power Windows : 12 K

b. Fog Lamps : Steve mentioned in other thread that its allowed in CL now, so I am hoping that it would be allowed in TL too. Price around 8K with fittings.

c. Rear Parcel Tray : Yet to be confirmed by VW, expected price 1 - 1.5K.

d. Body Colour ORVM and Door Handles : 3.5K

e. Remote Central Lock : Autocop - Testing going on, expected by June`10, expected price - 3.5K.

f. Rear Parking Sensor : 3.5K and 4K for matching body colour

g. LLumar Sun Film : 1.9K (38% Heat Rejection, sorry I don`t remember the exact term) 1yr warranty, 3.2K (same as above), high quality(SP was not able to explain clearly the quality difference), 3yr warranty. These for 4 windows and rear only.
Front : 4.2 K

h. Art Leather Seat Covers : 6.5K (only beige colour), 7K (beige/black), these charges are with fittings. Stanley leather : starting 18K.

i. Kenwood 2DIN music system with 4 speakers + fittings : 22.5K
Kenwood single DIN (without USB) with 4 speakers + fittings : 10.8K
SP was very particular in this case to remind me mutliple times not to get these things fitted from outside as it would void warranty.

Also, would like to mention here that it was strange to see the SP (and his seniors ) in the VW showroom not having any official spare parts list or price list of accessories. When asked about the same, SP was reading it from a diary and was very fast, I took a piece of paper and had to ask him to repeat again to note down the prices. Anybody here given any official price list?
Old 19th June 2010, 23:48   #1514
Distinguished - BHPian

The prices for some of the optional extras are online. Work your way through the "Car Configurator" from-->here
Old 20th June 2010, 01:22   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post

Xingy,

Tough question as different people perceive USP's differently so for me USP's were:
1) good ride quality as lets face it 95% of the time you are in normal city traffic where spirited driving is very hard and if you want it to pull on a highway it's pretty decent and easily reaches 120kmph and max i heard is 140kmph which for a hatch and keeping the safety considerations IMO is important
2) Something new & unique - If you had enough of japs & koreans then go for it
3) Sucker for quality - IMO build quality helps in the long run and you feel more confident about the car and less headaches
4) Safety - Most people in India and not very concerned about this but if you are traveling with your loved ones you definitely want them to survive crashes (which hopefully should never happen). So in this regard also I found it a bit better than other cars in the same league (Punto is an exception)
5) Looks - Clean lines look pretty good and I guess Polo and Punto are best looking cars

Hope this helps

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks