Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 20:21   #1636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Though the choice of the engine is a personal decision. it would be wise to look in to the practicality aspects before making the plunge. If the car is for daily use and your drives are primarily limited to a city like Bangalore where your average speed will be no more than 20-30kmph, I am sure you are going to repent on the decision. Don't expect mileage any better than 10 and trips to the petrol station will become more often and you will feel the pain. The 1.6P cars are only for enthusiasts who buy cars for just one thing 'the driving pleasure'.But honestly, how many of us fall in to that category?
C'mon guys, Polo 1.6 10 kmpl on the high side? I think it is way too low.

Since the dealer was not forthcoming with any information I did some good ole browsing and here is what I found:
  • Urban: 12.62 km/ liter (29.7mpg)
  • Extra Urban: 21.08 km/ liter (49.6mpg)
  • Combined: 16.92 km/ liter (39.8mpg)
Source: Volkswagen Polo 1.6 Sport : POLO WITH A STRONGER FLAVOUR - Yahoo! Cars

Is this accurate? Is it the same engine? I am not so sure. But I think so. Correction, I really hope so.

PS: Sorry poloman, I called you poloowner a few posts back.
Old 30th June 2010, 20:25   #1637
Senior - BHPian

21Kmpl for a 1.6L petrol car.
Old 30th June 2010, 21:36   #1638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
This is my personal opinion. I request you not to get offended.

theragingbull, do you really think that you will require 1.6? Will it have any advantage practically? Will 1.2 not serve your purpose? - unless you love to have that extra power.
IMHO People who look at higher capacity engine, should also consider this point. It is a waste to have the car and then worry each time it is taken out.
You do have a point there. Most of my driving is within the city, so F.E is important to me. I'm still waiting to see what the F.E figures would be like. But the 1.6 will surely be a fun car to drive.
Old 30th June 2010, 22:42   #1639
BHPian

Quote:
21Kmpl for a 1.6L petrol car.
Can't believe it, diesel or mixed up numbers?
Old 30th June 2010, 22:54   #1640
Senior - BHPian

Those mileage figures are under European driving conditions with higher octane petrol.
Shave 3 or so Km/l and you'll be closer to mileage we can expect.
Old 30th June 2010, 23:50   #1641
agm
BHPian

I dont think 1.6 litre engine will give any where close to 21/ltr .At best in the highway one can expect figure of 14-15km/ltr and 11-12 in the city bumper-to-bumper .

1.6 engine with 105bhp might not make sense for many , but personally i feel 7 lakh onroad for the 1.2 highline, too make no sense .7Lakh for 1.2ltr 3 pot engine is way to high.Engine is very vocal and car is cramped,especially at the back . Instead i would pick swift zxi which has got the best engine , interior space is as good as polo if not better (i feel swift is more spacious ) , ACC ,maruti A*S etc at much lower price tag .Only thing in polo's favor is its built quality .

I finalised on 1.6 because usually i am alone or someone at the front seat thats it , and i was looking for a petrol engine with decent power .my running is around 800km/month (60% city ~ 40% highway) .
Old 1st July 2010, 00:10   #1642
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agm View Post
I dont think 1.6 litre engine will give any where close to 21/ltr .At best in the highway one can expect figure of 14-15km/ltr and 11-12 in the city bumper-to-bumper .
i think you will not get that much in the city. this is the same engine from the jetta, and i think it is one or 2 generations old. so dont expect it to give great mileage. also it will be pretty good in the polo but in the jetta it was a slouch.
Old 1st July 2010, 00:39   #1643
agm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
i think you will not get that much in the city. this is the same engine from the jetta, and i think it is one or 2 generations old. so dont expect it to give great mileage. also it will be pretty good in the polo but in the jetta it was a slouch.
Yup you are right mate on the FE part, and that is what i wrote in one of my post,if you'll check last few page.

I am not expecting FE of more then 9.5/10km .

Thanks for the info , was not aware that this is the same engine that was first seen doing duty in the Jetta .
Old 1st July 2010, 00:48   #1644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Absolutely right. We can't have it all, a safe solidly built car (hence more weight) with a powerful engine (1.6) and then expect it to deliver Alto levels of economy .
Old 1st July 2010, 12:50   #1645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agm View Post

1.6 engine with 105bhp might not make sense for many , but personally i feel 7 lakh onroad for the 1.2 highline, too make no sense .7Lakh for 1.2ltr 3 pot engine is way to high.Engine is very vocal and car is cramped,especially at the back . Instead i would pick swift zxi which has got the best engine , interior space is as good as polo if not better (i feel swift is more spacious ) , ACC ,maruti A*S etc at much lower price tag .Only thing in polo's favor is its built quality .

I finalised on 1.6 because usually i am alone or someone at the front seat thats it , and i was looking for a petrol engine with decent power .my running is around 800km/month (60% city ~ 40% highway) .
I too am fine with 10 (city) to 14 (highway) kmpl. Not looking for something so frugal that it takes the fun out of driving.
Old 1st July 2010, 15:24   #1646
Senior - BHPian

What kind of launch strategy is this?? can someone explain

The 1.6 at that price point seems a good preposition.

But I am still not able to understand the reasoning behind the strategy of VW with Polo, first they come up with 1.2 and with not much fanfare they introduce Diesel (within 3 months) and now silently again they are releasing 1.6.

Its so absurd wouldnt it have been good had they showcased all three during launch itself. what is the point in launching them within three months of each other.

I guess they wanted to avoid bad press about milage of 1.6. If it really had been good, I am sure they would have shown more emphasis on 1.6 during launch itself, if 21 was supposed to be true.

Last edited by xingamazon : 1st July 2010 at 15:25.
Old 1st July 2010, 15:30   #1647
Senior - BHPian

Xingy, This may be a strategy to keep the Polo brand in news for a while.One reason why even after 6 months of first launch this thread is live and kicking.
Old 1st July 2010, 22:13   #1648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
The 1.6 at that price point seems a good preposition.

But I am still not able to understand the reasoning behind the strategy of VW with Polo, first they come up with 1.2 and with not much fanfare they introduce Diesel (within 3 months) and now silently again they are releasing 1.6.

Its so absurd wouldnt it have been good had they showcased all three during launch itself. what is the point in launching them within three months of each other.

I guess they wanted to avoid bad press about milage of 1.6. If it really had been good, I am sure they would have shown more emphasis on 1.6 during launch itself, if 21 was supposed to be true.
That is business for you. attract the crowd first and then the enthusiasts. Because enthusiasts wait and crowd won't.
Old 1st July 2010, 22:29   #1649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Xingy, This may be a strategy to keep the Polo brand in news for a while.One reason why even after 6 months of first launch this thread is live and kicking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay-JS View Post
That is business for you. attract the crowd first and then the enthusiasts. Because enthusiasts wait and crowd won't.
But isnt what exactly Ford did, and its still going great with good sales figures.
Imagine the press release when VW presenting , 1.2 Petrol, 1.4 TDCi ad 1.6 Petrol and Vento all launches in a single shot.

That would have got the pants of likes of Maruti and Hyundai, instead they opted to do a sedate start with one grand launch and other rather mute launches. Dont think that is anyway near crowd gathering tactics

Now I am seeing Nissan doing the same thing.
Old 1st July 2010, 22:48   #1650
BHPian

Well, I agree with you @xingamazon to some extent, that if one have quality product then why not showcase it or market it appropriately.

But at the same time, an 1.6L`s USP cannot be mileage, it caters to a very small no. of customers in the wide market. What VW did for 1.2L is for the mass market and that is why so many TVCs, TOI front page ads etc.

In my opinion, VWs ability to deliver car is also limited with only 40+ dealerships across India, so why create the hype and increase irritated customer count.

And finally IMO a quality product is a quality product at the end of day, no matter how much marketing or advertisements can sell it in initial phase, but in the long run quality prevails.

Please don`t consider me to be biased towards VW, its just my opinion and I believe this to be true for any manufacturer of any product.

Most Viewed