Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2010, 15:58   #1726
BHPian

Thanx Gaurav, Chethan.

Earlier I booked car with Kashyap Vehicle Works, Noida than the dealership got cancelled and again booked it with Bhasin Motors South Delhi. Had to follow up with VW regarding booking finally got call on 15th july.
Old 17th July 2010, 19:23   #1727
Senior - BHPian

Had a look at the Polo today. Liked everything (all that can be guaged without a TD) except the rear legroom, which is poor to say the very least. At just about 5'8", I couldn't sit properly in the car with the driver's seat pushed back. I'm the tallest in my family, but shorter than almost all of my in-laws - even my MIL is atleast as tall as I am. The rear legroom is therefore a potential deal-breaker as far as I'm concerned.
Old 17th July 2010, 19:35   #1728
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to pitch in my two cents on how pathetic the sales team is at VW Ahmedabad.

They just have one brochure which hardly gives information. The sales people are lazy and it took them a good 15-20 mins to just write down my information. It was another 20 minutes to get a td car.

And Did I mention it was the third visit when we got to td the car?

I have heard enough horror stories for Skoda mostly and VW to decide to stay away.

The car was good but noisy. I really liked the ergonomics.
Old 17th July 2010, 20:05   #1729
RDB

I had a TD of POLO a few days back. The SP turned out to be an acquaintance. So no problems at that front. He quickly arranged for a test drive. The first thing that got my attention was the diesel like clatter of the three pot engine. Hence I confirmed from the SP that the vehicle was a petrol engined car. But after the car was moving, it all settled into a mild whirr. The car did move eagerly, no concerns there. In fact, I really appreciated the pick up. The good quality feel all around was great. Front seats are really comfortable. One thing I did not like was the locking mechanism. The car has to be manually locked from the drivers' seat, once its moving. No auto lock mechanism. Ride and handling...good as already pointed out, except the over light steering. But its not a deal breaker. in fact, at city speeds, its a boon. Felt the 'highline' a bit pricey though.
Old 17th July 2010, 21:24   #1730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Had a look at the Polo today. Liked everything (all that can be guaged without a TD) except the rear legroom, which is poor to say the very least. At just about 5'8", I couldn't sit properly in the car with the driver's seat pushed back. I'm the tallest in my family, but shorter than almost all of my in-laws - even my MIL is atleast as tall as I am. The rear legroom is therefore a potential deal-breaker as far as I'm concerned.
That is really surprising! I'm taller than you still I was very comfortable at the rear. Though it can't be termed as commodious but it's at par with the competition. I'd say the legroom is more than the Punto but less than the i20.
Fellow BHPian, Chetan has posted pics on his thread with a 6ft person in front and back and there was still an inch of space left!
Old 17th July 2010, 23:35   #1731
Distinguished - BHPian

My short sit in the Polo yesterday had knees colliding with steering wheel --- but there is so much seat and wheel adjustment possible that I'm not making any judgement on that yet.
Old 17th July 2010, 23:37   #1732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
That is really surprising! I'm taller than you still I was very comfortable at the rear. Though it can't be termed as commodious but it's at par with the competition. I'd say the legroom is more than the Punto but less than the i20.
Fellow BHPian, Chetan has posted pics on his thread with a 6ft person in front and back and there was still an inch of space left!
I think Chetan's pic was posted with driver seat adjusted to his liking, possibly not with it pulled back as far as it would go. I was talking about driver seat pulled back to the max. A person of my height will not need the driver seat to be pulled that far back, but I think my BILs - one just about 6ft, other is 6ft+ - will need to (that's what they like to do anyway). Then it would be really cramped at the back. Or conversely, if driver seat is adjusted to my height, I think my BILs may be cramped at the back. I will make sure I take my BIL along when I go for the TD to check out the rear legroom once again.

Forgot mention that the pricelist given to me mentions the 1.6 Polo Petrol as well. Ex-showroom price is 6.16L. For reference, the 1.2L HL costs 5.83L ex-showroom here. So 1.6L HL costs just 33K extra. I think it will be well worth the investment.
Old 18th July 2010, 02:08   #1733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think Chetan's pic was posted with driver seat adjusted to his liking, possibly not with it pulled back as far as it would go. I was talking about driver seat pulled back to the max.
Forgot mention that the pricelist given to me mentions the 1.6 Polo Petrol as well. Ex-showroom price is 6.16L. For reference, the 1.2L HL costs 5.83L ex-showroom here. So 1.6L HL costs just 33K extra. I think it will be well worth the investment.
In-fact, it was myself sitting on both the seats in the car. Driver seat was adjusted to my liking - being a six footer.

Polo's front seat travels back a lot - more then required. This is a boon when only front seats are occupied. One can literally pull back the seat and relax. In normal circumstances, this extreme position will not be required.

But at that position, rear seat leg room will obviously go for a toss. I would suggest you to check the rear seat leg room, with the front seat practically in position. You will not have a problem.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 18th July 2010 at 02:09.
Old 18th July 2010, 02:44   #1734
Distinguished - BHPian

Even in my five-minute look, I found that the seat goes back so far that I can no longer floor the clutch and brake --- so I guess it must cater for the long-legged driver!
Old 18th July 2010, 03:22   #1735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From my test drive of the Polo, I'd say that the Polo isn't as spacious at the rear as the Punto. How can I make that claim, well, my girlfriend has a Punto, and my brother in law drives a i20. Having extensively driven both cars, and going to the Polo test drive with my brother-in-law, we actually compared the rear seat room. While unscientific, the we both took turns at the driver's seat with one sitting on the rear bench right behind the driver.

He said that the rear space in the Polo was less than the i20 (I am short at 5'8, but he is 6'1") and the Punto. I gave the same feedback, but I noticed that the rear bench on the Polo seemed to have better underthigh support (cannot be sure though, at that time we were focussing on the space). Though, we both agreed that the Polo and Punto's front seat have a lot of travel.

Since everything that is to be said about the Polo has been shared in this thread, I didn't share the details. But I'd like to still admit something that I had unfairly criticized about the Polo. The three pot petrol does sound gravelly from the outside, but on the inside one doesn't feel it. So, as long as one drives with the A/C on, the three pot NVH issues are well under control.
Old 18th July 2010, 08:02   #1736
BHPian

The back engraved of POLO petrol variant got modified, check the pic. Also some of the pics of the accessories offered from VW. Kenwood 2-din system blend well with the car and it looks good when installed. But it costs more than 20k with two front speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-dsc00067.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-dsc00068.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-dsc00069.jpg  

Old 18th July 2010, 09:17   #1737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I would suggest you to check the rear seat leg room, with the front seat practically in position. You will not have a problem.
Yes, I will take my taller BIL along for TD. Normally, they like to drive with seats pulled back to the max, which is why I checked the rear legroom from that position. Maybe, due to long seat travel in Polo, they may not require the seats to be that far back.

Anyway, driving position is a personal preference/choice. For eg: my father who is about the same height as I am likes to drive with the front seat pulled up, close to the steering. I feel very uncomfortable driving in that position, and push the seats back when I drive his car. So people sitting behind when I drive will have lesser legroom that when he drives the car - although we are driving the same car and are more or less equal in height.
Old 18th July 2010, 09:19   #1738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
But I'd like to still admit something that I had unfairly criticized about the Polo. The three pot petrol does sound gravelly from the outside, but on the inside one doesn't feel it. So, as long as one drives with the A/C on, the three pot NVH issues are well under control.
Good to hear this from a Polo critic.

I prefer the old minimalist engravings. VOLKSWAGEN looks too long and spread out. What has happened to TDI logo on Diesel Polo now?
Old 18th July 2010, 09:43   #1739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
How can I make that claim, well, my girlfriend has a Punto, and my brother in law drives a i20.

Since everything that is to be said about the Polo has been shared in this thread, I didn't share the details. But I'd like to still admit something that I had unfairly criticized about the Polo. The three pot petrol does sound gravelly from the outside, but on the inside one doesn't feel it. So, as long as one drives with the A/C on, the three pot NVH issues are well under control.
Hats off - Amartya, admitting a mistake requires lot of character.

I also had this feeling that you were sometimes unfair towards Polo. But now, it is clear. We all do mistakes - So don't worry!

If I have to point out one more thing:
  • If the music system is on, volume kept even at 4, you can hardly hear the engine.
  • NVH inside the cabin of a Diesel- Polo is lesser than Petrol.
Rear leg room is at a premium. Definitely i20 scores in this aspect. But Polo & Punto are almost the same IMO.

Major problem with i20 is: AC effectiveness, Steering, Ride & Handling (When compared to Polo & Punto), Back seat comfort.

But now I know - Why you support Punto!

But Frankly - If Fiat was directly handling business in India, I would not have looked around. With the present situation - No way!
Old 18th July 2010, 11:06   #1740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I prefer the old minimalist engravings. VOLKSWAGEN looks too long and spread out. What has happened to TDI logo on Diesel Polo now?
+1
They probably thought people won't recognize VWs by the badge so the long 'VOLKSWAGEN'. I think even my Polo will now come with this kinda badging

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks