Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2010, 08:45   #1801
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I drove a friend's Polo HL petrol for over 300kms in the last two days in the hills as well as in the plains. Though the ride and handling are great, the engine really lets down the overall package. The 3-potter isn't much refined and it really struggles in the twisties. Maybe the upcoming 1.6 Polo will sort out things in a better way.
Old 26th July 2010, 01:39   #1802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
Yes, the car configurators elsewhere would allow you to actually make a booking based on the configuration. Even here, it allows you to get an idea of what you want; go ahead and take the print-out to the dealer when done.
However, what I dont understand is the idea that things like rear wash/ wipe and defogger are dealer installed bits. Even for rear wash wipe, you need a fluid line going from the washer bottle over the roof to the back.
You need a motor, controlled via the wiper stalk ( which needs a setting for rear washer as well)
For the defogger, you need a heating gird embedded in the rear windscreen, again controlled via a button up front on the dash.
Dont you think these things are ordered as part of the trim level and not as dealer options for a reason? Namely: this is all stuff that is factory fitted. Your dealer can install all this only if he replaces a lot of parts. You might as well order the trim level with the stuff you want standard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Abosolutely right, however if the booking and conficgratin can be made online the car can be custom made with the required trim at the factory. But this may be a distant dream for us in India.
Thanks a lot to both crackingride and m_upreti for the detailed explanation and response!

Actually, I was referring to the distant dream mentioned in the post by m_upreti - a trim with additional customized stuff right out of the factory. Now that would definitely make things interesting in this segment.

I am not sure, but maybe putting in a rear defogger/wiper might be easier/cheaper than putting in a ABS/Airbag in a car (), hence I had metioned that to start off with, some basic fittings can be made configurable by the manufacturer through the online configurator.

Ah! Only if wishes were horses here in India.
Old 26th July 2010, 09:14   #1803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
Thanks a lot to both crackingride and m_upreti for the detailed explanation and response!

Actually, I was referring to the distant dream mentioned in the post by m_upreti - a trim with additional customized stuff right out of the factory. Now that would definitely make things interesting in this segment.

I am not sure, but maybe putting in a rear defogger/wiper might be easier/cheaper than putting in a ABS/Airbag in a car (), hence I had metioned that to start off with, some basic fittings can be made configurable by the manufacturer through the online configurator.

Ah! Only if wishes were horses here in India.
Just wanted to clarify that the configurators will give you a sense of what the options are and what it will cost you; you will still have to physically make a payment and book a car, regardless of what configuration you choose.
Old 26th July 2010, 14:07   #1804
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I drove a friend's Polo HL petrol for over 300kms in the last two days in the hills as well as in the plains. Though the ride and handling are great, the engine really lets down the overall package. The 3-potter isn't much refined and it really struggles in the twisties. Maybe the upcoming 1.6 Polo will sort out things in a better way.
This is not my experience with the car. Am able to take it up any twisty and the car provides adequate speed and handling.

This is just a 1.2 so expecting it to be a hot hatch is unreasonable. It works wonderfully on a twisty upslope and hugs the road like a rock at 150kmph on the expressway. If anythng I have found it wanting in tire width (175 is not adequate) during slaloms.
Old 26th July 2010, 15:18   #1805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popolo View Post
This is not my experience with the car. Am able to take it up any twisty and the car provides adequate speed and handling.

This is just a 1.2 so expecting it to be a hot hatch is unreasonable. It works wonderfully on a twisty upslope and hugs the road like a rock at 150kmph on the expressway. If anythng I have found it wanting in tire width (175 is not adequate) during slaloms.
Welcome to Team-Bhp!

Poloman -- next is Popolo! Exiting Handles!

I agree with you on your comments. Are you planning for Slaloms on the Polo?! IMO tyre width is kept at 175, keeping in mind the engine offered.
Old 26th July 2010, 15:39   #1806
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Popolo. Kindly share your experiences with Polo in detail.
Polo is turning out to be a smashing hit on TBhp.

Last edited by poloman : 26th July 2010 at 15:41.
Old 27th July 2010, 19:15   #1807
BHPian

Dear all ...

SP has offered me OEM music system with speakers from a polo highline(returned by the owner as he went for upgradation) for 7000/-.
Is the music system good enough? Is it a good offer?

I am not a very serious music buff.I am looking out for a decent system.
Can highline polo owners throw some light and share their experience?

Cheerio ... Yash

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th July 2010 at 03:31. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 28th July 2010, 00:16   #1808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash.giri View Post
Dear all ...

SP has offered me OEM music system with speakers from a polo highline(returned by the owner as he went for upgradation) for 7000/-.
Is the music system good enough? Is it a good offer?

I am not a very serious music buff.I am looking out for a decent system.
Can highline polo owners throw some light and share their experience?

Cheerio ... Yash
This is a descent system. You can have it. Try to bargain and get it for 5K since it does not have USB & also the speakers are a bit basic.
Old 28th July 2010, 01:42   #1809
Senior - BHPian

Quick question to Polo owners -
1> Is there a child lock mechanism on the Polo? Any way to make sure the kids sitting at the back do not open the door?
2> Upgrading the music system to USB/AUx/BT enabled possible? What is the cost? Also, is it possible to change the speakers without violating warranty?
Old 28th July 2010, 12:24   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Quote:
1> Is there a child lock mechanism on the Polo? Any way to make sure the kids sitting at the back do not open the door?
Only the driver has access to the lock/unlock of all 4 doors. So there's no way anyway sitting at the back can open his door unless the driver presses the unlock button.
Quote:
2> Upgrading the music system to USB/AUx/BT enabled possible? What is the cost? Also, is it possible to change the speakers without violating warranty?
Still no info if a USB/Aux-in port can be added. However, Chetan has said he'll be trying it in near future.

Last edited by theragingbull : 28th July 2010 at 12:25.
Old 28th July 2010, 15:08   #1811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just wanted to clarify that the configurators will give you a sense of what the options are and what it will cost you; you will still have to physically make a payment and book a car, regardless of what configuration you choose.
You are right, this is provided we get the option to configure. Something like ordering a PC on the net as per your specifications. (The comparison is not right but for an anology)
Old 28th July 2010, 18:03   #1812
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
You are right, this is provided we get the option to configure. Something like ordering a PC on the net as per your specifications. (The comparison is not right but for an anology)
Yeah, I know - that's why I had mentioned in my original post, that after doing the online configuration, we can take a printout and give it to the dealer while booking. The dealer can then pass it on to the manufacturer.

All said and done, I am not sure whether this kind of a configurator will be available in India even 10 years down the line. Please VW
Old 28th July 2010, 22:50   #1813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
1. Child lock mechanism is available on the Polo. We need to turn it on using the ignition key. Slot is available on the back door, in the usual position.

2. You can change the music system if you wish. Costs are available on my ownership thread Post 429 - Courtesy "Nowwhat". You can do any alteration without cutting / skinning wires - without violating warranty.
Old 30th July 2010, 14:38   #1814
BHPian

Spotted a VW Golf in Pune

I spotted a silver GOLF in Pune with a temporary registration. Does VW have any plans of launching GOLF in near future? I am sure it was GOLF, saw the badge and it was longer than Polo...

Any idea guys...

Srinivas
Old 30th July 2010, 17:31   #1815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayaksrinivasv View Post
I spotted a silver GOLF in Pune with a temporary registration. Does VW have any plans of launching GOLF in near future? I am sure it was GOLF, saw the badge and it was longer than Polo...

Any idea guys...

Srinivas
Srini, two of these Golf's have been running around in Pune since Jan. See them nearly everyday between 1700 to 1800h near Bibwewadi, Big Bazaar. Quite possible that VW employees are using them. Both are LHD.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks